My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:09:50 (permalink)
ba_midi

guitartrek

Oh crap - Now my project is having a problem playing - it's stuck.  I think I just corrupted it.  Could be Trilian, could be Sonar.  Crap.

I don't know if you've seen what I've said elsewhere about a similar thing, but ...

I started a TOTALLY new/fresh project.  I was in the creative mood.   Long story short...  I had to stop working in X1 and bring the project back to 8.5.3 (which took some adjustments as well -- quite a mood killer actually).

I just kept hitting bugs.  And then at one point no matter what I tried, X1 would crash every time I 'saved' the project (which I do often).

NONE of those issues happened with the same project in 8.5.3.  So I just kept going with it.

Strange, but true.    And what should I have done?  There was NO choice really.   So I just think there are some non-visible bugs (memory leaks perhaps, or other similar issues) that MAY creep up when least expected.

This is why we need a serious major bug fix patch asap, in my humble opinion.  X1A was not that.

That's interesting.  I'm in too deep now.   My project is working ok for now, but this is pretty scary.  I'll see how the rest of today goes. 

This weird thing seems to be related to having the PRV open in the multidock when saving a project.  The next time I open the project, the PRV shows, but the notes are invisible - but the velocity stems are there.  When I touch the horizontal scroll bar the notes majically appear.  This is when it started flaking out, not at first but after a couple closing and opening of the project.  I finally was able to save after I quickly closed the PRV in the multidock and the project opens fine and is playing.
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:11:13 (permalink)
Positively Charged

Billy, if you are not willing to use the customary bug reporting pathway, that's fine; it is your choice. 

You are not helping as much as you could be.  And there is a point at which complaining without follow-through becomes "piling on".

I'm not judging.  I'm just asking you to reconsider.
I use it.

I also will say I don't feel I'm complaining.  I'm discussing / expressing issues I confront using the software I purchased.

Do you feel I'm being unfair or imbalanced in some way?  I'd like to know actually if you do.  It never hurts to review ones own approach to things.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:12:49 (permalink)
For what it's worth, my tests in my clean 32-bit install back up ba_midi's findings. Q only brings up the Quantize dialog in the Track View. No response in the PRV, whether docked in the multidock or not.

The keybinding for Q is not set by default, but the Process menu says that Q is the hotkey for Process > Quantize, so it should just work. Let's post a bug report on this one.

Aside:
... am I the only person who has a visceral dislike to the multidock? I want to turn it off completely. I actually like a well-behaved MDI application, which SONAR 8.5 was and X1 is most certainly not. Caveat: MDI apps don't play well with multi-monitor setups, so perhaps this is inevitable.
ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:13:45 (permalink)
guitartrek

ba_midi

guitartrek

Oh crap - Now my project is having a problem playing - it's stuck.  I think I just corrupted it.  Could be Trilian, could be Sonar.  Crap.

I don't know if you've seen what I've said elsewhere about a similar thing, but ...

I started a TOTALLY new/fresh project.  I was in the creative mood.   Long story short...  I had to stop working in X1 and bring the project back to 8.5.3 (which took some adjustments as well -- quite a mood killer actually).

I just kept hitting bugs.  And then at one point no matter what I tried, X1 would crash every time I 'saved' the project (which I do often).

NONE of those issues happened with the same project in 8.5.3.  So I just kept going with it.

Strange, but true.    And what should I have done?  There was NO choice really.   So I just think there are some non-visible bugs (memory leaks perhaps, or other similar issues) that MAY creep up when least expected.

This is why we need a serious major bug fix patch asap, in my humble opinion.  X1A was not that.

That's interesting.  I'm in too deep now.   My project is working ok for now, but this is pretty scary.  I'll see how the rest of today goes. 

This weird thing seems to be related to having the PRV open in the multidock when saving a project.  The next time I open the project, the PRV shows, but the notes are invisible - but the velocity stems are there.  When I touch the horizontal scroll bar the notes majically appear.  This is when it started flaking out, not at first but after a couple closing and opening of the project.  I finally was able to save after I quickly closed the PRV in the multidock and the project opens fine and is playing.

I think there's what I'd call a minor bug in the PRV as well.  When I dbl click a clip to work on in it, it shows me the velocity "controller pane" (which I like to use) about 80% of the screen height in the m-dock and the notes are about 20% above it.
In previous versions one could set it as they like (ie, where the divider bar is) and it would stick.  And, better, it would also attempt to center the notes in the notes pane.

That's not happening for me.  I suspect many others.  You've kind of bumped into it as well I see.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

guitartrek
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:14:15 (permalink)
I will file a report on this Quantize bug too.  I have filed a handful already, but there have been a lot of little weird things I didn't file.  I need to save the bug report web page as a favorite so I can get to it easily. 
PeterMc
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 504
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:18:04 (permalink)
Having done some coding of this type of software (not music), I know how easy it is to make simple coding mistakes, and for none of the users to pick it up for ages. It's as simple as spelling "brakes" "breaks" :) And sometimes the beta team don't find the simple bugs. One of the greatest resources Cake have is this incredibly knowledgeable and passionate user group. If all the bugs discussed here were fixed, imagine how good X1 would be? But we have to let them know first.

I also sympathize with your view that we should be able to make music, not be public beta testers. I'm afraid the reality of substantially re-written software is that this will happen. There is always 8.5.3 to fall back on if the goal is just to write music. However, I find once you've used X1, it's hard to go back.

Cheers, Peter.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:18:32 (permalink)
stickman393

For what it's worth, my tests in my clean 32-bit install back up ba_midi's findings. Q only brings up the Quantize dialog in the Track View. No response in the PRV, whether docked in the multidock or not.

The keybinding for Q is not set by default, but the Process menu says that Q is the hotkey for Process > Quantize, so it should just work. Let's post a bug report on this one.

Aside:
... am I the only person who has a visceral dislike to the multidock? I want to turn it off completely. I actually like a well-behaved MDI application, which SONAR 8.5 was and X1 is most certainly not. Caveat: MDI apps don't play well with multi-monitor setups, so perhaps this is inevitable.

I like the Multi-Dock actually.  It's not at all unlike what we had before (ie, "Tabbed View"). It's an extension thereof from my perspective.
But you don't have to dock everything, so that's another approach.  I like it mostly for getting the PRV up (though I also liked the previous availability of a floating PRV).

And, perhaps most importantly (for me) is that it's a toggle away.  "D" does the trick.  I like that.  That was not available in the "Tabbed View" approach of previous versions.

It also strikes me a bit funny how some newer (and older) users have fallen in love with the "Inspector" and how easy it is to "I" toggle it.

It's been there for a LONG time.  Many seemed not to know about it at all!  Yes this inspector is a bit different and offers more functionality in most ways, but it's not like it's an entirely new thing.
Which only proves to me how some user literally never used MANY of the features previously available and are now going googoo over them (thanks to the promo videos and other marketing tools that made them aware to everyone).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:20:38 (permalink)
guitartrek

I will file a report on this Quantize bug too.  I have filed a handful already, but there have been a lot of little weird things I didn't file.  I need to save the bug report web page as a favorite so I can get to it easily. 

For me, it's about time (though I'm spending WAY too much on this forum!)....   if I had to file a report for _every_  little thing I'm finding, I'd never make any music lol

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:21:42 (permalink)
Having done some coding of this type of software (not music), I know how easy it is to make simple coding mistakes, and for none of the users to pick it up for ages. It's as simple as spelling "brakes" "breaks" :)

HAHA got me :)  Now i need some "breaks" ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Positively Charged
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 744
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:25:47 (permalink)
ba_midi

Positively Charged

Billy, if you are not willing to use the customary bug reporting pathway, that's fine; it is your choice. 

You are not helping as much as you could be.  And there is a point at which complaining without follow-through becomes "piling on".

I use it. 

Okay, then I guess I misread your prior post.  When I suggested a bug report, your first words were "I don't like them" or something like that.  Taken along with other comments you've made in other threads, such as saying that X1 is a public beta and that you've gone back to 8.5, well....I was left to wonder about your motive.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
guitartrek
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:29:52 (permalink)
OK- I got Q to work in PRV.  Here's how I did it (this was mentioned earlier and it works)  I went to Key Bindings, Selected Q and then on the right hand window Selected Process-Quantize and hit the Bind button.  It is supposed to already be bound globally, but apparently it isn't. 
ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:36:10 (permalink)
Positively Charged

ba_midi

Positively Charged

I use it. 

Okay, then I guess I misread your prior post.  When I suggested a bug report, your first words were "I don't like them" or something like that.  Taken along with other comments you've made in other threads, such as saying that X1 is a public beta and that you've gone back to 8.5, well....I was left to wonder about your motive.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I do feel it's a public beta, frankly.  But that's just an opinion.  I never speak for others, you should know that by how I've worded my posts.

If you question my motives, that makes me curious.   For all the problems I'm experiencing and discussing in this public forum, are you also not noticing all the helpful things I post as well, ie, with those who may not know a keybinding or some other function?

I'm trying to be honest and balanced, but I'm not going to deny my frustrations and voice them in a hopefully balanced way.

I admit my frustrations MAY get the best of me at times, and for that I can only say I'm human.  I certainly am a supporter as I have been for many years of the Cakewalk products and people.   I think that much should be clear.

But there are times when a musician is making music and hits stumbling blocks that are difficult and cause a real creative flow inhibitor.  These need to be addressed.

I don't know what else to say.  I'll certainly give thought to the fact you feel as you do about my postings.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:40:10 (permalink)
Q was mute before X1. It is now quantize in X1. It even says that in the key bindings sheet in the help options.

i have been messing with my binds a lot, so I don't know if Q was already bound to Process|Quantize in Global Bindings or not.

i do know that after binding Q to Process|Quantize the PRV quantize key binding works.

My TV Q shortcut already worked.

I definitely find it odd that others cant achieve the success I did. Something tells me I need to lay my magical hands on your DAW (j/k lol)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:43:55 (permalink)
Lanceindastudio

Q was mute before X1. It is now quantize in X1. It even says that in the key bindings sheet in the help options.

i have been messing with my binds a lot, so I don't know if Q was already bound to Process|Quantize in Global Bindings or not.

i do know that after binding Q to Process|Quantize the PRV quantize key binding works.

My TV Q shortcut already worked.

I definitely find it odd that others cant achieve the success I did. Something tells me I need to lay my magical hands on your DAW (j/k lol)

I think there may be some confusion here ...

"Q" now, by X1 default, does bring up the usual "Quantize" dialogue.  The "Process->Quantize" dialogue is simply a different way to get there.  But it's NOT the X1 default.  

So re-binding Q to Process Quantize is certainly an acceptable and workable workaround indeed.

BUT, at the same time, "Q" should work as expected in the PRV just as it does in the TV without the necessity of rebinding it.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Positively Charged
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 744
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:55:24 (permalink)
Good, can we put this one to bed now?

Bug or no bug, we have a solution, yes?
guitartrek
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:56:11 (permalink)
Billy is right.  Q should always bring up quantize - you should have to bind it.  I'll report it. 
guitartrek
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 17:56:57 (permalink)
Positively Charged

Yes - there is a solution.  Thanks for your help on this!
ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 18:26:12 (permalink)
Positively Charged

Um, a workaround yes :)  But sure, I'm fine with putting it to bed.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

chrisharbin
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 18:35:08 (permalink)
guitartrek

OK- I got Q to work in PRV.  Here's how I did it (this was mentioned earlier and it works)  I went to Key Bindings, Selected Q and then on the right hand window Selected Process-Quantize and hit the Bind button.  It is supposed to already be bound globally, but apparently it isn't. 

Thanks for posting this and this thread, I'll check that out later as I was having this issue (and simply thought it was a bug) Looks like at least this is a viable workaround/solution.

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
guitartrek
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 18:50:18 (permalink)
I filled out a problem report.
PeterMc
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 504
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 18:56:53 (permalink)
Thanks, and ditto - hopefully weight of numbers will bump this up the FixIt queue.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2010/12/31 19:58:28 (permalink)
guitartrek

Nice find... good workaround. It now appears to be working in both windows...

thanks for sharing it...

Keni

BTW... I filed a report for this among other things as well... ;-)

post edited by Keni - 2010/12/31 20:02:24

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2011/01/01 19:23:22 (permalink)
ba_midi

Positively Charged

But mine does work, Billy.  Surely there is some explanation?
Interesting.   But previously "Q" was a default for "Mute clip".  I never changed that.  It worked.
Now "Q" is changed to Quantize.

No matter what I've tried - when I select a clip in the clips pane, double click it to bring it into the PRV, select some notes and hit "Q -- NOTHING happens.

I've checked the keybindings.  Even re-entered it as it wants to be.  Nada.

So I find it interesting you can actually hit Q with notes selected in the PRV and it works?

Are you really sure of this?

BTW, it definitely DOES work in the track/clip pane.  That is, if I select a clip there and hit Q, it works.  Just NOT in the PRV at all (for me and others).

Absolutely... since I manually bound the Q to Process|Quantize it works as expected in both the TV and PRV... I haven't tested Staff or such...

Something else must be different if that's not working for you...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
chrisharbin
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2011/01/01 19:42:09 (permalink)
Yay for finding this, now works as expected

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
guitartrek
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work (in PRV)....work-around -> bind it manually 2011/01/01 22:48:30 (permalink)
guitartrek

My SonarX1 installation is a fresh installation on a brand new machine with all the default SonarX1 settings.  When I go to Preferences-Customization-KeyBindings it says "Q" should be Quantize.  But when I press "Q", nothing happens.  Am I doing something wrong?  "P" works fine and brings up the Preferences, but "Q" doesn't.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

Geno

ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2011/01/02 07:14:42 (permalink)
chrisharbin

Yay for finding this, now works as expected

I would say that it doesn't work as expected. It works because we've found a workaround.
Q in X1 IS quantize.  Q in the PRV is broke.

This is a workaround -- which is good.  But not correct.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2011/01/02 07:16:18 (permalink)
guitartrek

Billy is right.  Q should always bring up quantize - you should have to bind it.  I'll report it. 

Geno, I think you mean "we shouldn't  have to rebind it" ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

guitartrek
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2011/01/02 10:02:17 (permalink)
Billy - yes - grammatically speaking, "we shouldn't have to rebind it", or "one should not have to re-bind it". 
ba_midi
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2011/01/02 10:57:56 (permalink)
guitartrek

Billy - yes - grammatically speaking, "we shouldn't have to rebind it", or "one should not have to re-bind it". 

Geno,
The only reason I pointed that out is because lately it seems we have to walk on eggs about how we state things.

I wasn't trying to be smarter, I hope ya know that.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

guitartrek
Re:My Quantize shortcut key "Q" doesn't work. Not sure why? 2011/01/02 11:46:40 (permalink)
Billy - no worries- I didn't take it in any negative way.  Growing up I was constantly reminded of not using "you" in that context.  I know it is wrong and I will watch it.  (I don't take offense to anything on the forum - feel free to set me straight anytime)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1