Helpful ReplyMy favorite free softsynths and FX

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/10 22:34:50 (permalink)
Loving and cherishing my z3ta+2 as it was my ticket into this forum!

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/10 22:53:21 (permalink)
Fleer

Yup!  And I think the important distinction to be made in assessing the quality or usefulness of any synth is to separate the factory presets (the chrome) from the synth architecture (the engine under the hood).

Do I think Cakewalk could have provided better presets in many cases? Absolutely!

But I would pay money to see anybody get into a cage match debate about Rapture sound design with Mr. Craig Anderton, LOL!!!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/10 23:22:01 (permalink)
Fleer

Z3ta for Mac was probably the single best news for me in the years following my migration to that platform. I can't even count the number of songs I've written using Z3ta and/or Dimension and Rapture.

As far as 3rd party synths are concerned these are my go to.

FWIW - I'm a guitar player, so I do rely on presets heavily, especially when working with formidable beasts such as Z3ta. Most of them I do tweak (first and foremost because a lot of them have a tendency to clip) and they're drenched in reverb and occupy way too much space in the stereo field. But once you keep that in mind, you're okay.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Fleer
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/11 00:21:18 (permalink)
Cheers, Rain. A bit of a preset man myself. I did get all four Mutant banks to play with.

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/11 10:19:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2017/01/12 13:42:00
Z3ta sat on my hard drive for ages, unused. I'd thumbed through all the presets and found very little there that would be of use to me. Wrote it off as an EDM lo-fi whoosh-maker.

That was a mistake. The folks who created the factory presets had simply made assumptions about who their target user was (it wasn't me!) and tailored the examples appropriately. That's unfortunate, because it's a capable synth and relatively easy to program.

Whether you are a preset-puncher, a roll yer own type, or somewhere in between, presets are important. They are a showcase for what a synth is capable of. I wonder how many other good synths I've skipped because they had weak presets.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/11 17:39:40 (permalink)
Do you plan to create your own sounds, or surf presets all day? <rhetorical question>

I was doing great, until the deals on AIR, SynthMaster, and SONiVOX came along ...

Out of 10,000 new patches (PRESETS), I think I may have found 9,000 that I like!

Like I was saying ...

abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/11 17:44:08 (permalink)
No way I'm ever going near Omnisphere!!!   I have all the synths I'll ever need. 

Except for Zebra ... and ...

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/11 18:30:27 (permalink)
Fleer
Don't do this here, guys. KVR or Gearslutz are better places for such banter.
On topic, those Klanghelm freebies are mighty fine indeed.

Nope. My point was the bundled effects in Sonar are superior to the bundled synths.  Most of them are lame. 2 are not. I think z3ta only comes in Platinum. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kitekrazy1
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/11 18:32:11 (permalink)
abacab
No way I'm ever going near Omnisphere!!!   I have all the synths I'll ever need. 

Except for Zebra ... and ...

That creates regret for buying other synths that will no longer be used.  Fortunately it is never discounted.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/11 19:48:34 (permalink)
bitflipper
Z3ta sat on my hard drive for ages, unused. I'd thumbed through all the presets and found very little there that would be of use to me. Wrote it off as an EDM lo-fi whoosh-maker.

That was a mistake. The folks who created the factory presets had simply made assumptions about who their target user was (it wasn't me!) and tailored the examples appropriately. That's unfortunate, because it's a capable synth and relatively easy to program.

Whether you are a preset-puncher, a roll yer own type, or somewhere in between, presets are important. They are a showcase for what a synth is capable of. I wonder how many other good synths I've skipped because they had weak presets.

I hear ya!  You might want to check out these tracks that were made only with z3ta+ sounds, and entered in KVR OSC 31 (One Synth Challenge).  Some amazing stuff

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-31-z3ta

• Submissions must be announced in the submissions forum thread with a link to the song's soundcloud, and include a brief report how it was made:
    The DAW/host, all FX used, and how many instances of the synth and FX was used.

• Effects rules:
    • Most Native DAW effects may be used (see below for what NOT to use)
      • The effects must be easily available freeware 3rd party effects. This does not include plug-in betas, demos, magware or freeware that has expired, unless a special exception is made that month.
    • ANY Built-in effects native to the plug-in itself may be used. (So built in chorus / distortion / etc is allowed)
  • The following DAW effects are NOT allowed:
    • Any type of modulation effect (e.g. chorus, phaser, flanger, rotary etc.). (Please note that effects like reverb or delays that perform modulation to achieve their sound are ALLOWED, but the modulation usage must be minimal.)
    • Effects that pitch the sound (e.g. pitched / granular delays, tapestops etc.)
    • Any effect that transforms the sound to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth.

• No use of samples, sample libraries or live sounds (like voice, guitar etc allowed). However, for convenience or CPU saving,
    synth bouncing are allowed but only where the EXACT same result could have been achieved using
    the original synth. This means that for example pitching and reversing is not allowed. Sampling for example
    a bass drum in order to get a consistent sound is not allowed either. Samplers used must be host samplers or freeware and easily available.
  • More Clarification: Audio must not be touched at all once it leaves the DAW (aka after bouncing a track or a stem). For example: One cannot master the audio in another software or service. Also, If you need more performance / CPU a workaround is to freeze all the tracks.
  • Commercial synth patches/soundbanks are not permitted

kitekrazy1
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/11 20:18:49 (permalink)
Z3ta presets that were made for the 1st one don't work that well in v2.  You won't find many 3rd party ones for the 2nd version since many refuse to update them to the newer version.

abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/11 20:27:50 (permalink)
I think that z3ta+ still sounds better than Z3TA+ 2

I have A/B tested a few patches from the original set, and I see a difference on a spectrum analyzer.

TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/12 12:24:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/01/12 13:28:01
FWIW, this thread caused to be recheck the discoDSP website, where I noticed that the free OB-Xd synth was updated from v1.31 to v1.4 on 9 Jan 2017.

http://www.discodsp.com/obxd/

It looks like there's a new location for the banks and skins folder (copied/moved to 'discoDSP' folder I needed to create under My Documents).

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/12 12:28:47 (permalink)
You realize if you can't make a recording with the plugins supplied with SONAR and the free ones floating around the web, then you just can't do it.  There's a lot of great stuff out there.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/12 13:26:50 (permalink)
TheMaartian
FWIW, this thread caused to be recheck the discoDSP website, where I noticed that the free OB-Xd synth was updated from v1.31 to v1.4 on 9 Jan 2017.

http://www.discodsp.com/obxd/

It looks like there's a new location for the banks and skins folder (copied/moved to 'discoDSP' folder I needed to create under My Documents).

Thanks for the tip! 

Missed that upgrade!  The new bank and skin browser is cool

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/12 13:34:27 (permalink)
abacab

I have A/B tested a few patches from the original set, and I see a difference on a spectrum analyzer.

I haven't A/B tested them to hear what I like better between the 2 ...
When I'm using my midi guitar I do get lost in space when I use them synths
Time sure fly's and the next thing I know it's  Earth To Kenny it's time to walk the dog
One thing I love is using the z3ta+ as an effects unit ...there are some really great sounds in there  w a lot of movement .

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Fleer
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/12 22:41:16 (permalink)
Thanks for the reminder, Kenny.

abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/12 23:38:42 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
abacab

Time sure fly's and the next thing I know it's  Earth To Kenny it's time to walk the dog
One thing I love is using the z3ta+ as an effects unit ...there are some really great sounds in there  w a lot of movement .

Kenny

Well I wasn't doing an extensive test.  But looking at some sweeps on the spectrum analyzer, it appeared that Z3TA+ 2 squashed the higher frequencies down a bit.  They both sound good!  But there was a difference.  Maybe they changed the filter some for the new version?

That midi guitar thing sure sounds like fun.  I wonder if I could mod my P-Bass up with that stuff?

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/13 01:41:12 (permalink)
My list of freebies would include:

Arturia's MiniFilter V, which they gave away recently. Messed with it tonight. Nice.

Arturia's MiniMoog V, a freebie from a few years ago. 

Camel Audio's Camel Crusher - I've been using that one for ages.

Eventide Stereo Room, a gift from Focusrite.

Focusrite Red EQ and Comp, also a gift from Focusrite.

NI's Kontakt Player (because I'm too lazy to convert those few remaining libraries that I use to EXS-24's format).

I can't say that I use any of them regularly, but I wouldn't want to be without them.

Freebies that I used to use on the PC which aren't available on my platform:

HG fortune's synths - ProtoPlasm and STS-21 in particular. Inspiring stuff.

E-Phonic plug-ins - pretty much all of them. Tape Delay, Retro Delay, LoFi and Drumatic were among my go-to.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/13 06:53:00 (permalink)
abacab
kennywtelejazz
abacab

Kenny

That midi guitar thing sure sounds like fun.  I wonder if I could mod my P-Bass up with that stuff?

Hi abacab
Yes , you can use your P Bass to trigger Midi and VST synths ...
I use The Jam Origin Midi Guitar app for all my guitar synth and midi work ...
For Bass I use The Jam Origin Midi Bass Beta ...this works pretty nice ...

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/13 08:38:57 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

Hi abacab
Yes , you can use your P Bass to trigger Midi and VST synths ...
I use The Jam Origin Midi Guitar app for all my guitar synth and midi work ...
For Bass I use The Jam Origin Midi Bass Beta ...this works pretty nice ...

Kenny

Hey Kenny, thanks, great find!  Will have to check that one out!

I see that they offer a fully functional demo, very cool!

abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/13 09:07:32 (permalink)
Rain
My list of freebies would include:

Arturia's MiniFilter V, which they gave away recently. Messed with it tonight. Nice.

Arturia's MiniMoog V, a freebie from a few years ago. 

Camel Audio's Camel Crusher - I've been using that one for ages.

Eventide Stereo Room, a gift from Focusrite.

Focusrite Red EQ and Comp, also a gift from Focusrite.

NI's Kontakt Player (because I'm too lazy to convert those few remaining libraries that I use to EXS-24's format).

I can't say that I use any of them regularly, but I wouldn't want to be without them.

Freebies that I used to use on the PC which aren't available on my platform:

HG fortune's synths - ProtoPlasm and STS-21 in particular. Inspiring stuff.

E-Phonic plug-ins - pretty much all of them. Tape Delay, Retro Delay, LoFi and Drumatic were among my go-to.

I also grabbed that Arturia MiniFilter V when it was free, very nice!  Same with Cakewalk's CA-2A.  That's premium quality stuff that was free, but only for a limited time.  Must stay tuned into cclarry in order to not miss out!

NI Kontakt Player 5 is cool, lots of instrument libraries available ($$) for that.  NI also had a limited holiday freebie, KINETIC TREATS, a unique KONTAKT instrument based on the timeless sounds of vintage children’s toys.

I forgot to mention NI also has the Reaktor Player 6, that you can use with their free Blocks Wired and Mikro Prism Reaktor instruments.  This seems to be an ongoing offer.  Interesting sounds!

AAS also recently had a giveaway for their customers, even for AAS Player, of any one of their sound sets for free.  I grabbed Epicycles, a Chromaphone 2 sound bank.  Very nice!

mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/13 12:16:34 (permalink)
The freeware I have used the most:

Triangle II
Crystal
sfz
Synth 1
Ugo Audio series
iZotope Vinyl (seriously, how is this not on the list)

and of course ... Delay Lama

Then there's all the magware.  CM-303 and CM-505 got a lot of play.
abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/01/13 22:47:03 (permalink)
Here's 14,000 free patches for Synth1.  Enjoy!

Over 14.000 free patches for Synth1 - a free virtual instrument for both PC and Mac
http://veryrandomstreams.blogspot.com/2012/03/over-10000-free-patchessounds-for-free.html

And if you are like me and the Synth1 panel color is less than inspiring, you can change it up!

Panel size and color
For ease of operation, you can change the size of the user interface panel, as well as the background and text color. These options are accessed via the opt button in the bottom of the panel --> Panel Size, Color Customize.
* If you change the panel size, please close and reopen the window once. In some host applications, the panel does not change until you have reopened the song file.

abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/04/30 16:19:47 (permalink)
I just fixed some broken links on my OP, and added a few more instruments and FX.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3542942

The hyperlink for AAS Player is apparently still broken, but if you copy and paste the text for the link, it is correct.

I will edit that, but I don't want to push my luck with the spam filter anymore today! 

Have fun!

[Edit: all links fixed today!]
post edited by abacab - 2017/05/02 23:09:21

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/05/10 19:45:14 (permalink)
Cakewalk synths are on par with what ships with most DAWS. No, they are not competiing with the likes of Omnisphere or Nexus, but they hold their own.  Beatscape was a decent ideas that was poorly implemented
abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/05/10 22:03:44 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Cakewalk synths are on par with what ships with most DAWS. No, they are not competiing with the likes of Omnisphere or Nexus, but they hold their own.  Beatscape was a decent ideas that was poorly implemented

As a synth nut, I can remember when V-Sampler was first shipped with an early version of Sonar.  That lit a spark in me of what could be possible.  I also realized right then that I would need a better PC than the one driving my external MIDI gear at the time.

So I jumped on Project5 when it was first released.  That sounded almost too good to be true!  A dedicated virtual synth studio, that could also do audio, loaded up with synth toys! 

Since then I have discovered Dimension Pro and Rapture (before they were a Sonar bundle item), as well as Z3TA+2.

I have both editions of Simon Cann's book "Cakewalk Synthesizers, from presets to power user".  I told myself that I would learn them all before I spent another dollar on a 3rd party synth.  But the flesh is weak!  So many choices today!

I still consider my Cakewalk synths my "core" virtual studio, with all the rest just there for variety and inspiration!

In the past year I have come to appreciate the quality of the free synths that are now available.  After listening to the contest submission tracks on KVR's OSC (One Synth Challenge), I have to admit that it is the artist who makes the synth, not the other way around.  If you can't make music with what Cakewalk offers, plus the free stuff ... then you just can't! 

I was really impressed with the KVR OSC that featured the classic z3ta+.  Wow!  All that with just one synth!  I am not worthy, LOL!!! https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-31-z3ta

abacab
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/05/11 00:06:50 (permalink)
And then there is this: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-94-synth1

OSC 94: Synth1

This totally changed my mind about free soft synths ... not to mention the 14,000+ community supplied presets ...

How much free time does it take to audition 14,000 presets???

Hats off to the creator of this gem!!! 

cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/05/11 01:15:24 (permalink)
Fleer
Some other beauties: VirtualCreations Ultrachopper, ikjb Luftikus EQ & PitchDelay, Vladg Molot comp & Limiter6 & Nova-67P, Acon Multiply, Stillwell Event Horizon, Ignite PTeq 1-A, PluginAlliance (Brainworx Solo & Cleansweep & SPLFreeRanger, Elysia Niveau Filter), Klevgrand Squash and others, Flux Bittersweet v3, AudioSpillage Minispillage (drum), AudioDamage Rough Rider, Blue Cat Pack II, TDR Feedback Compressor & VOS SlickEQ & Proximity, Thomas Mundt LoudMax limiter, FXpansion Dcam free comp, Kuassa basiQ eq & Amplifikation Lite, VacuumSound ADT. RIAA & PoorPlate, SoundHack bundle+, Cerberus Ice9, EAReckon Limit & EQ & Gate & Comp, ToneBoosters V2.9.1 EZQ & OsoneSurround & OmniSone & TimeMachine & mvMeter, AudioAssault/BPB FilterCrusher.

Best 2016 (and older) freebies list to be found at the bedroomproducersblog site. Can't post the link 'cause of bots.

Luftikus is a GREAT Free Maag EQ...that whole list is full of goodies...

Need to supply the appropriate "links" for everyone Flee!

cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: My favorite free softsynths and FX 2017/05/11 01:17:19 (permalink)
Here's the Luftikus page on KVR
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/luftikus-by-lkjb

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1