Naming a solo piano album

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
samhoff
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
2007/04/25 16:08:39 (permalink)

Naming a solo piano album

I'm toying with the following three names for my solo piano album (mostly for friends and family). Here they are in random order:

Peace and Quiet
The Space Between
Somewhere Else

My music is very quiet, peaceful, solo piano. You can hear a couple clips at my website, if you think it will help:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=440467

Any suggestions for which name is best? Or other thoughts/advice?

Thanks,

Sam

40 Replies Related Threads

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/25 18:39:01 (permalink)
    Hi Sam -
    Nice stuff (though I generally listen to a lot more noise). Just my 2cents - I don't like any of the title options - (sound like something for an elevator.)
    I would go with your main track as the album title - eg, "Breathe" or "Volition", or whatever.
    Alternatively, something friendlier, like, oh "Samspace", if you want the title to convey a bigger sense of you.
    Congrats by the way!

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/25 22:37:34 (permalink)
    i'm with brando - pick your favorite track and use that as the name. no offense but the titles you mention are a bit cliche. "the space between" is also a dave matthews band single so it might create a "cognitive dissonance" for people (like me) who know the name from that song better.

- jack the ex-cynic
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/25 23:09:30 (permalink)
    Some of my friends and family CDs were named after the title for a piece that was particularly significant to me at the time, others were named for some kind of idea, concept or theme that was meaningful in that season of my life or represented something about the entire collection of music but was not a title of any of the pieces on the CD. My advice would be to search your heart and use whatever title you think expresses what you want to say with your gift to your audience. You'll know it when you find the right one. It can ba a labor sometimes but it's cool to find just the right title for the collection.
    johneboy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/26 02:58:42 (permalink)
    hmmm...'tinkle tinkle 'lil star"? yah know, like in tinkle-ing the keys...er...nevermind...

Gear:
    Home Studio 6 xl
    echo mia sound card
    korg k49 controller
    Ibanez acoustic
    Ovation Acoustic
    A Mouse
    Computer Specs: Pentium 4 - 3.00 ghz, RAM 895 MB, 32 bit OS, running Vista
    samhoff
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/26 08:50:49 (permalink)
    "the space between" is also a dave matthews band single

Did not know that.

Hmmm.... I suppose this is the kind of advice I was after. But what defines "elevator music"ish names vs those that are not? To ask it more directly, does anyone have advice on how to name "solo piano music" with names that will be "cool" but not "elevatorish"? THAT is and will be my dilemma. For whatever reason, Brando, you seem to think "Volition" or "Breathe" are not elevatorish but the other names are. Can anyone help me understand the difference?

And I realize this is somewhat subjective (ok, VERY subjective). But I thought long and hard about the three names I threw out and hoped that they were not too, oh... cliche? Trite? Whatever the word is. (Elevatorish works too).

Oh, and the reason I ask is that, not only do I have to name the ALBUM, I've got about 12 tracks to name! So far I have names like "Heart Mountain," "Whare Are You Now?", "Driven Snow," "Coming Home," "Legacy." I had considered just giving them numbers (as tracks) precisely because I didn't want to deal with this issue!

Thanks,

Sam
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/26 09:14:12 (permalink)
    Seas of Keys
    Brando
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/26 18:12:56 (permalink)
    Hey Sam -
    I listened to the two songs you posted the link to - and the names "Breathe" (although used as a song title a fair bit in pop music), and "Volition" both fit the songs, I think. As I listened, I thought that you obviously had a reason for giving them the names you did, and, I imagined how/why the song connected with the title you chose - it seemed to work. I never at any point thought that the title didn't fit the song, or that the title was "cheesy"/elevator-ish. When I read the titles for the album you had suggested, they just sounded trite - as though there was no connection to the music.
    I think you just need a way to breath a bit of whatever inspired you to create each of your songs, into the album as a whole.
    BTW - I really like "Samspace" - no credit required - my gift to you!

As for song titles - if all else fails - use girl's names - eg, "Song for Jeannie", names or descriptions of places (real or imaginary), "Old Willow Row", "Home Bound", or anything that conveys a sense of emotion or aspiration - "Our Time", "Wind-fallen", without actually stating the emotion you are trying to imply - hope, grief, etc.
    Hope this helps!

Brando
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/26 19:52:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: samhoff

"the space between" is also a dave matthews band single

Did not know that.

Hmmm.... I suppose this is the kind of advice I was after. But what defines "elevator music"ish names vs those that are not? To ask it more directly, does anyone have advice on how to name "solo piano music" with names that will be "cool" but not "elevatorish"? THAT is and will be my dilemma. For whatever reason, Brando, you seem to think "Volition" or "Breathe" are not elevatorish but the other names are. Can anyone help me understand the difference?

And I realize this is somewhat subjective (ok, VERY subjective). But I thought long and hard about the three names I threw out and hoped that they were not too, oh... cliche? Trite? Whatever the word is. (Elevatorish works too).

Oh, and the reason I ask is that, not only do I have to name the ALBUM, I've got about 12 tracks to name! So far I have names like "Heart Mountain," "Whare Are You Now?", "Driven Snow," "Coming Home," "Legacy." I had considered just giving them numbers (as tracks) precisely because I didn't want to deal with this issue!

Thanks,

Sam

i have a really hard time naming instrumentals. i really haven't written an instrumental in years and the one or two i did write i can't remember the names! =) i think the hardest part is that you are trying to convey an idea strictly through music, so if the idea is too vague or too broad then it sounds cheesy and if it's too narrow it sounds pretentious or contrived.

here's what i think about instrumental titles using the ones thrown out here:

"peace and quiet" - this is a very commonly used phrase and the idea behind the phrase itself doesn't convey any depth.
    "the space between" - i'm biased on this because of dave matthews, but also this is kind of vague. the space between what? with lyrics it's obvious what it means but without it's a bit vague.
    "somewhere else" - like the space between, it is vague.

"breathe" is a more evocative word - when you hear it you immediately get a picture in your head.
    "volition" is also a more focused word meaning an act of will.

you want a word or phrase that is unique and focused and descriptive. elevator music is the opposite - ordinary, vague and uninspired.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/26 19:54:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Brando
    As for song titles - if all else fails - use girl's names - eg, "Song for Jeannie", names or descriptions of places (real or imaginary), "Old Willow Row", "Home Bound", or anything that conveys a sense of emotion or aspiration - "Our Time", "Wind-fallen", without actually stating the emotion you are trying to imply - hope, grief, etc.
    Hope this helps!

very good examples of what i was trying to say.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/26 20:10:33 (permalink)
    "Thren Keld Wing Nut; Why Not Rheam?"

"Cheese Me!"

"I'm Not Gay, I Just Like The Piano"
    samhoff
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/26 23:32:27 (permalink)
    I'm Not Gay, I Just Like The Piano

Oh, man, that one hurt . . .

Moving forward: I also find myself thinking (sadly), "Well, it is quite possible that not only are the NAMES I'm coming up with elevator music, but the blasted MUSIC ITSELF is elevator music!!!" Please don't tell me if it is, that would hurt worse than that latest post....

Sam

Now I've got to go shoot some of my handguns until I feel manly again...
    johneboy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/27 02:04:54 (permalink)
    you could also do something akin to jean michael jarre, who named his songs with the title of the album. for instance, his rendezvouz album had first rendezvouz as the fisrt track, second rendezvouz as the second track, and so on. but finding that one word to tie it all together might proove to be the challange. got a thesaurus? open to a random page and find a good word...actually any book will do in that instance (just no jrr tolkien...elvish is not only pretentious, but hard on the tounge. speaking of hard on the tounge, i wonder if elves play piano....)

Gear:
    Home Studio 6 xl
    echo mia sound card
    korg k49 controller
    Ibanez acoustic
    Ovation Acoustic
    A Mouse
    Computer Specs: Pentium 4 - 3.00 ghz, RAM 895 MB, 32 bit OS, running Vista
    Brando
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/27 09:31:53 (permalink)

I'm Not Gay, I Just Like The Piano

Oh, man, that one hurt . . .

Moving forward: I also find myself thinking (sadly), "Well, it is quite possible that not only are the NAMES I'm coming up with elevator music, but the blasted MUSIC ITSELF is elevator music!!!" Please don't tell me if it is, that would hurt worse than that latest post....

Sam

Now I've got to go shoot some of my handguns until I feel manly again...

No - it's nice stuff. (Not my style honestly, but) you are a talented pianist and creator. And I'm not saying that because you have a gun....

Brando
    Brando
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/27 09:33:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: johneboy

you could also do something akin to jean michael jarre, who named his songs with the title of the album. for instance, his rendezvouz album had first rendezvouz as the fisrt track, second rendezvouz as the second track, and so on. but finding that one word to tie it all together might proove to be the challange. got a thesaurus? open to a random page and find a good word...actually any book will do in that instance (just no jrr tolkien...elvish is not only pretentious, but hard on the tounge. speaking of hard on the tounge, i wonder if elves play piano....)

I know he played a bit of guitar - but sang mostly..... Elvish, I mean.
    Duck, run, hide.

Brando
    Mick
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1358
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/27 11:21:44 (permalink)
    I would go with "Harold Was a Fish." Or possibly "Beethoven's Second Symphony in D major op.26" - unless it's been used already.

I have not changed my signature.
    Randy P
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/27 11:35:22 (permalink)
    Alot of times I name my instrumental stuff after things I see while recording or mastering the song. You can check out my latest tune titled "Two Dogs Humping" at any mp3 service near you.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Randy P
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/27 11:36:28 (permalink)
    Sorry about that. I just couldn't stop myself.

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    samhoff
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/27 23:52:43 (permalink)
    All right, you wise guys. Let’s get back on topic here. I have a long list of hopeful names and words. So you tell me, which ones are the good ones? Which do you REALLY like? You can refer to them by number: (By the way, I’m sure an objection is, “Well, some names go with some songs, others with other songs.” Don’t bother me with such trivial details for now! Let’s see which of the following titles are “strong” in your opinion and which are “boring” and “elevatorish.”) (To save you time don't bother with the bad ones, which do you think are the best ones?)

1. Following You
    2. Outside My Reach
    3. Tumbleweed
    4. Lost Innocence
    5. Memories of the Rain
    6. Hope in the Journey
    7. Urban Nostalgia
    8. What Was It You Said?
    9. Prism
    10. Master and Apprentice
    11. Every Seed That’s Sown
    12. Stories of Old
    13. Picture Frame
    14. Remember
    15. In the Light of the Morning
    16. Calling You Home
    17. Quiet Time
    18. The Moment Lost
    19. Green from Melting Snow
    20. Strengthen Her Hand
    21. Those Who Hunger
    22. Clear Resolve
    23. Love, Always
    24. Opened Eyes
    25. Troubled Heart
    26. Remember Not
    27. To My Son
    28. Out of Sorrow
    29. Divine Nature
    30. Pine Cathedral
    31. Falling Stars
    32. White Lace
    33. Serious Thought
    34. A Blossom’s Anthem
    35. Waiting for the Answer
    36. Then Came the Morning
    37. Casting Shadows
    38. Halfway Road
    39. Declaration
    40. Potential for Good
    41. Stainless
    42. Carolyn’s Angels
    43. Silent Words
    44. The World is Changing
    45. Subdued Will
    46. Listen Well
    47. Lost in You

Always interested in your opinion,

Sam
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 01:03:47 (permalink)
    "Oh, man, that one hurt . . . "

Sorry man, but you keyboard cats can usually sight read well and are well trained compared most of us guitar players who tend to play by ear and make it up as we go along. I feel it's my duty to bring you down to my level.
    samhoff
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 10:06:19 (permalink)
    No problem, you didn't offend me, remember I'm a tough guy not an overly sensitive type (if you catch my drift).

Let me be clear about what I'm saying: I believe Jim Brickman's success (and David Lanz' and a lot of these other successful solo new-age type people) lies as much in the naming of their music as it does in the music itself. Read some of the names of their stuff; they "sound" cool and make you want to listen to it. On the flip side, there is good music out there with dorky names and nobody wants to listen to it. I want to name my tracks in such a way that people read the back of the CD and go, "Wow, that sounds cool. I'd like to hear that." Because without THAT I think it could be really good music and be ignored.

Purists (idealists) will tend to disagree with me, saying that all that matters is the music. But I feel the names, the very words, are EXTREMELY important, thus my persistence in requesting help from all of you. It's kind of like how a car looks versus how it drives. One being good without the other isn't enough.

Sam
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 10:50:54 (permalink)
    you didnt like seas of keys
    Randy P
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 11:01:11 (permalink)
    I'll make a sincere suggestion here. Perhaps since you seem to struggle with the confidence to name your own songs, I think you should let someone close to you, whose opinion you trust, and who enjoys your music, name your songs. You could suggest they come up with images, emotions or whatever comes to their mind as they listen to the song. Don't tell them they are naming the song, as they might try to hard to be creative, and what you really want here is an honest, emotional response. Good Luck.

Randy

Joe Bravo
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 11:51:00 (permalink)
    Good names are easy to come up with. Just do word association and one thing will lead to another. Think of things and places that not only have meaning to you (but not in a corny way) and words associated with them. I had a tune called "Metzger's Field". It has a meaning from my childhood just as it would for anyone my age who grew up watching "Leave It To Beaver". It also has a nice softness to it when you say it. "Johnson's Field", or "Smith's Field" just wouldn't work. I have another tune called "That's About Right"; an old Illinois saying that's sprouted out to the rest of the country in recent years. My last record was called "Awakening In The Land Of Nod" in which the album, and most of the song titles, were meant to convey imagery having to do with the Christian Mystics. "Fenster's Saga" was a tune on it I named after the most mystical person I know who's nickname just happens to be Fenster. My next record will be more light hearted and is gonna be called "Women & Other Strange Animals". Many of the song titles will be in that same light hearted vein. (Jeff Beck's "Constipated Duck" would be right at home on this record). "A Brief History Of Swang" is one of the song titles from the record, one that means absolutely nothing. Meaningless strings of words can be a lot of fun to play with for kids and adults alike. Remember some of those old 50's/60's titles like "Chug-a-Lug", "Here We Go Loop-de-Loop", "Over Under Sideways Down"? People love that kind of thing.

I sometimes name songs after book titles or famous book quotes. "Kilmeny" is my favorite poem so I named a song after it. George MacDonald had some thought provoking titles like "Exotics", "At The Back Of The North Wind", "The Portent", "Phantastes" (the Scottish spelling of fantasies), "A Dish Of Orts", on and on, and that's just one author. Someone will eventually name a tune after Kurt Vonnegut's catch phrase: "And so it goes...." (if they haven't already). If you don't read much, think of movies or TV shows you grew up with and some of the catch phrases in them.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/04/28 12:08:45
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 12:58:38 (permalink)
    Hi Sam, I listened to your tunes, very nice indeed. Tried not to look at any of the suggestions so far, and the title that popped into my head was 'The Quiet Road'.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Randy P
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 14:55:14 (permalink)
    James. thanks for confirming that I am indeed a genius,

Randy

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 15:43:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Hi Sam, I listened to your tunes, very nice indeed. Tried not to look at any of the suggestions so far, and the title that popped into my head was 'The Quiet Road'.

I like that suggestion too. You could name each of the pieces as a part of journey, sort a diary of the encounters and decisions along the way .. "Starting out", "stopping to rest", "unexpected blessings", "taking the less travelled path", "heading home", etc.

Bill
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 21:06:30 (permalink)
    Let me be clear about what I'm saying: I believe Jim Brickman's success (and David Lanz' and a lot of these other successful solo new-age type people) lies as much in the naming of their music as it does in the music itself. Read some of the names of their stuff; they "sound" cool and make you want to listen to it. On the flip side, there is good music out there with dorky names and nobody wants to listen to it. I want to name my tracks in such a way that people read the back of the CD and go, "Wow, that sounds cool. I'd like to hear that." Because without THAT I think it could be really good music and be ignored.

Purists (idealists) will tend to disagree with me, saying that all that matters is the music. But I feel the names, the very words, are EXTREMELY important, thus my persistence in requesting help from all of you. It's kind of like how a car looks versus how it drives. One being good without the other isn't enough.

dead on. the name of the song has a lot to do with its success. yes there are exceptions but i actually can't think of any right now. in instrumental music the name of the song (heck, the name of the artist) has a lot more to do with success than the music itself, nearly as much as what he/she looks like. i can only name one violin instrumental album - "the violin player", by vanessa-mae. why? she's hot. =)

by the way sam i did look at your list and here are the only ones i would skip on:

33 - "serious thought", too vague
    36 - "then came the morning", it's a chorus in a christian inspirational song (think the gaithers for you christians out there) that my parents drove me nuts with. but also i don't think the sound or meaning of the words really coveys as much as the other ones you've got.
    43 - "silent words" - the idea is a bit overused and a little cliche (heck, i use it in one of my songs)
    44 - "the world is changing" - too self evident. the world is always changing
    46 - "listen well" - i don't know, it just stuck out amongst the other names.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 21:08:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo
    "Fenster's Saga" was a tune on it I named after the most mystical person I know who's nickname just happens to be Fenster.

if you have never watched "the usual suspects" you should...

- jack the ex-cynic
    samhoff
    RE: Naming a solo piano album 2007/04/28 21:49:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net

I'll make a sincere suggestion here. Perhaps since you seem to struggle with the confidence to name your own songs, I think you should let someone close to you, whose opinion you trust, and who enjoys your music, name your songs. You could suggest they come up with images, emotions or whatever comes to their mind as they listen to the song. Don't tell them they are naming the song, as they might try to hard to be creative, and what you really want here is an honest, emotional response. Good Luck.

Randy

This is exactly how I came up with many of the names on that list I posted, believe it or not... I gave the "beta version" of my CD to 8 friends and they turned in sheets commenting on how to make the music better and what they would name it ....

Thanks everyone for all the help. It is becoming apparent to me that I shall have to name the CD what I wish. I'm leaning towards "Somewhere Else" (sorry Jack and Brando)... we'll see, I'll think on it for a while. I do like "The Quiet Road," we'll see where we end up.

Sam
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1