Helpful ReplyNasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/19 19:20:22 (permalink)
You haven't got enough posts to insert a link yet. If you spell out your Soundcloud page one of us can do a link.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
dkap2000
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/19 19:48:09 (permalink)
OK.  It seems my links don't show up because I haven't made enough posts.  So, if you go to soundcloud.com/  and add    david-kaplan-150786613/swami-song-guitar-solo-test   
you will hear my sample.

For the finished tune, go to bandcamp page and find my record - "Same Room, Different Hotel" and click on Swami Song.

Hope this works.

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/19 20:25:46 (permalink)
no can hear anythings

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/19 20:32:10 (permalink)
Can't find your Soundcloud track (did you make it public?) but here's the Bandcamp link.

https://davidkaplan.bandc...e-room-different-hotel

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
dkap2000
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/19 20:34:46 (permalink)
I made the soundcloud link private because I didn't want my subscribers to hear only a little test snippet.  I thought you could still hear a private file if you had the link.  Not sure what to do.  Thanks for your help

dkap2000
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/19 20:41:04 (permalink)
If you go to dropbox, the test snippet is here.  Maybe this will work.
  /s/6rfdtpklbvbhzzz/Swami%20Song-%20guitar%20solo%20test.mp3?dl=0
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/19 21:13:57 (permalink)
batsbrew
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/19 21:54:55 (permalink)
I JUST HEAR PINGING on the frets and or bridge...

sounds like a setup problem with the guitar.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/19 23:08:59 (permalink)
The Band19
The banjo is "awesome!" That's what I'm trying to do on a keyboard right now? Using these guys;

http://www.boldersounds.net/

Here is another Kontakt powered banjo I enjoy.  http://realitone.com/realibanjo/  The GUI is kinda goofy but it works pretty good with both the Kontakt Free and full blown Kontakt.

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/22 20:24:26 (permalink)
dkap2000: I'm not hearing anything abnormal in your link. It sounds good to me. It's a matter of whether or not you or other people listening like the tone you have really. But I don't hear any artifacts or anything that raise any red flags in terms of "ring or whistle". Trust me, I get paid pretty good to identify, remove or remedy stuff like this on a daily basis. What you may be hearing is something either tone related, or like batsbrew said...something in the setup of your guitar that may be making something more apparent to you. I'm not hearing any excessive fret noise, buzzing due to action being too low, or any rattles.

Now keep in mind, and this is important. If you are using a guitar modeler of any type, they are VERY temperamental with certain guitars and pick-ups. I've been a beta tester/developer for a few modeling companies and am currently with Fractal Audio, one of the leaders in amp modeling. I've noticed that tones created for humbucking guitars will sound way different, and almost to the point of "bad" with strats and some tele's. This isn't the case with real amps, as they seem to compensate and get you close with any guitar you use unless the pups are extremely loaded with an eq boost or super high output.

So if you are using some sort of modeler, it could be the sound you've selected just not jiving with your guitar. Are you going directly into your interface with no other bells or whistles like Sharke was? Sometimes that could be an issue as well. Digital recording can be extremely unforgiving. Analog gets all the credit as being pure when in reality, IT is coloring the sound to the point of not really being your sound at all. Digital just plays back what you put into it.

If I played a tele or strat directly into a console going into a tape machine, the tape machine will curb the highs with tape compression and a little saturation if I hit it a little harder than normal. With digital, that is not the case. If you push it hard, it will clip and sound terrible. You get what you put in. Analog is always going to curb a little high end off and make things a bit warmer. Your experience will vary based on signal chain as well as the components used. But anything digital is going to give you your true sound. And sometimes, that true sound isn't what we're after. That of course doesn't mean analog is better or digital is better. It means one colors the sound a bit, one gives it to you straight.

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/22 23:26:40 (permalink)
I agree that many amp sim presets sound plain bad through my Tele! When I'm playing for fun, I actually prefer monitoring directly from my Babyface with a little of its in built reverb. That's a great sound!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
dkap2000
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/23 01:13:03 (permalink)
Thanks guys for helping with this. I'm not sure you are hearing the subtle problem that I'm talking about. I didn't notice it for a long time, but eventually I started hearing a strong overtone at 2k. It is most noticeable with good headphones. If you listen closely to the first two notes of the 3rd measure, the 2k ringing is the loudest and most apparent. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rfdtpklbvbhzzz/Swami%20Song-%20guitar%20solo%20test.mp3?dl=0

It's not an end of the world problem, just something I came across while recording, and it seemed from his description, Sharke had a similar issue.  Once I started hearing it, I couldn't not hear it.

I mainly did go straight into the box and used a modified version of the logic blackface surf preset.  I also mixed in an S-Gear sim.  When I play through my Ampeg Gemini, I still hear it, but maybe not as much.  Reverb seems to make the overtone even more pronounced.  

Good points about digital being harsher and less forgiving Danny. Maybe you can recommend a better surf tone sim for a tele.  I didn't really see much out there.

Danny Danzi
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/24 19:44:45 (permalink)
dkap2000
Thanks guys for helping with this. I'm not sure you are hearing the subtle problem that I'm talking about. I didn't notice it for a long time, but eventually I started hearing a strong overtone at 2k. It is most noticeable with good headphones. If you listen closely to the first two notes of the 3rd measure, the 2k ringing is the loudest and most apparent. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rfdtpklbvbhzzz/Swami%20Song-%20guitar%20solo%20test.mp3?dl=0

It's not an end of the world problem, just something I came across while recording, and it seemed from his description, Sharke had a similar issue.  Once I started hearing it, I couldn't not hear it.

I mainly did go straight into the box and used a modified version of the logic blackface surf preset.  I also mixed in an S-Gear sim.  When I play through my Ampeg Gemini, I still hear it, but maybe not as much.  Reverb seems to make the overtone even more pronounced.  

Good points about digital being harsher and less forgiving Danny. Maybe you can recommend a better surf tone sim for a tele.  I didn't really see much out there.

Ok, I hear what you mean now. That to me, sounds like maybe your action is too low, or maybe your truss rod may be a little tight.....or possible a low fret somewhere that only hits on certain notes on a string. It's gotta be one of them. But to me, the little chimey thing has to be one or a few of the following....just as a recap.

Low action: Sometimes you just get a little buzz that isn't good buzz. I allow my guitars to buzz slightly because for the style I play, a little string buzz literally adds to the percussive sound for hard rock/metal. As long as it doesn't give me that "fretting out" sound through my amp, a little buzz while not plugged in isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Truss Rod: I usually adjust my truss rods on my guitars once or twice per year depending on how they perform. I like a little more tension on my necks than is recommended because I use a very low tuning. If the truss is too hot (too tight) or in need of adjustment, this can make certain areas on the neck behave a little differently. You may buzz a little down closer to the nut than you will up the neck. I like my necks to look nearly straight. The slight smile you're supposed to have when looking at a neck sometimes makes my guitars play like cheap guitars. Meaning, cheaper guitars sometimes have a loose feel...easy to bend the strings etc. I like a little tension from the neck. Just be careful as you can really affect how your guitar plays.

Strings: I've had strings that drove me crazy creating artifacts that really weren't there. Example....I had this buzz on one fret that was driving me nuts on my low E. It was making two tones, wouldn't stay in tune, had weird artifacts etc. Low and behold, I looked at it with a magnifying glass, and the string was literally bent in that area! I put a new one on and everything was fine.

Frets: Check your frets with a magnifying glass and flashlight to see if you have any low spots or grooves. This is HUGE for strange noises and artifacts.

Another guitar: Try another guitar and see if you get the same noise. If you don't, it's definitely something in the Tele/neck or the pup. I just had a pup die on me that made my guitar sound so bad, I never thought they just die out a little at a time. I have always thought they just work or don't work. Tested it with a meter and it wasn't putting out any of the power it should have been. This gave me weird artifacts.

The sound: Certain sounds just need work with certain guitars. You may need to use a little compression to round out the sound a bit and have it curb the transient a bit more. The surf sound is going to be a bit more unforgiving with a tele or strat because the pups are going to accentuate the upper end of the spectrum, thus picking up every little high end artifact that *may* be present.

Recommendation: I'm just giving you every possible scenario to check out. I could be wrong on all counts. But if I were you, these are the areas I'd at least look into if the noise is bothering you to the point where you can't forget about it. I'm anal about stuff like this too, so I feel your pain. As far as another sound to try, I'd try another guitar first to see if it does the same thing. Maybe ask a friend who may have a tele, or if you have a friend that works at a music store, see if they would allow you to just try a tele at home to see if it does it. Or, since you say it does it through your amp a little too...bring the amp to the store and try the tele through it. This way you can do all the process of elimination and know what the deal is.

Sim tone: I am partial to Fractal Audio. Not because I am endorsed by them, but I sincerely feel they make the best modeler ever. I can afford whatever I need these days and bought my first two units from Fractal without a deal. They are expensive, but I've just warmed up to them more so than Helix, Kemper and some other modelers out there. For me, the Fractal just gives me what I want. The AX8 would be great for you. That said, if that's a bit out of your price range, I've always been a fan of Guitar Rig. I think it is definitely one of the best plugins I've ever used and it is one of the few that literally has that 12AX7 tube thing down. Lots of amp sim companies claim they have tubes down. Maybe power amp tubes....but very few that I've heard can simulate the sound of a 12AX7 front end.

Guitar Rig does this wonderfully as does Fractal. That was one of the key selling points for me on both. I hate transistor artifacts when something is supposed to sound like tube. There's just something about transistor tones that don't quite sit well with me. I've never been a fan of output power tubes because you have to be so loud to hear them right, it's not worth losing my hearing or killing those in the audience. I'll take a good 12AX7 tube front end any day...and if the simulation is convincing enough, even better. I'll put it to you this way....I had an amp room with about 30 amps. I've sold all but 3. Nothing against real amps....I just feel the Fractal does the job so close, I either can't tell or the difference isn't enough to justify the prices of real amps or the extra lugging of a heavy amp rack. That's just me though. :) My sound is a strong pre-amp type sound where a classic rock loud tube amp isn't going to give me what I need. I need the drive and sizzle for what I do. Now you for cleaner tones or the surf thing...tubes all across the board will help. Even there though, the right modeler will get you so close, it will only matter to tube snobs.

But getting back.....if I had to place a weighted decision on what your issue is, I'd say it's something in the guitar or the sound chosen. If the sound is accentuating something that may be a very small issue in the guitar, this is normal as certain sounds will definitely bring out the worst (or the best) in our instruments.

I have a few sounds I've created on my Fractal gear that are totally off the hook with humbucker pups. Play a strat through the same sound and man....it gives the word horrible a new meaning. But like I had mentioned before, that's more a modeling issue in my case because when you create a sound using a modeler, it often times just works for the guitar you created it on. Add a different guitar with different pups, and the sound changes. That's the only thing modelers need to get right. Real amps don't alter your sound THIS much.

If you are using a modeler, it's definitely going to contribute as well. But the fact that it does it through your amp too tells me it's most likely guitar related. Please do keep us informed as to how you make out with this. I hope it's something simple like a neck adjustment or maybe even a fret dress or file. Good luck!

-Danny

My Site
batsbrew
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/24 22:54:42 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

Ok, I hear what you mean now. That to me, sounds like maybe your action is too low

isn't that basically the same thing i said earlier.....?

hello, mcfly?
heheh
feel like i'm talking to my pet rock.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Danny Danzi
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/25 09:58:08 (permalink)
batsbrew
Danny Danzi

Ok, I hear what you mean now. That to me, sounds like maybe your action is too low

isn't that basically the same thing i said earlier.....?

hello, mcfly?
heheh
feel like i'm talking to my pet rock.

Yes, and if you read my other post, I mentioned you stating what you said being a possibility. I was recapping everything for the guy so he could look in one spot.

My Site
batsbrew
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/25 18:11:29 (permalink)
 i didn't mean you, danny,
 i meant the OP and everyone else who seemed to just gloss over what i said.

no matter, i was just trying to help,
but i have my pet rock, so it's all cool!

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

dkap2000
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/25 21:24:10 (permalink)
Thank again Danny and Batsbrew for taking the time to help me with this.  I'm still not sure you are hearing what I feel is the problem.  Maybe my ears are just super sensitive.  Perhaps, I'm nuts.  And, perhaps, my first example wasn't the best.  I made another guitar isolation from a different tune where the 2k ringing seems a little more pronounced.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kb625sshn5cg47o/Blue%20Rumba%20-guitar%20iso.mp3?dl=0

Here is the tone that is bothering me.  I made this with a tone generator.  I can clearly hear it as a strong overtone in the first few seconds of the guitar track.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouhzooaqv2rcxya/2093%20Hz%20Tone.mp3?dl=0 

If this is what you have both been commenting on all along, please accept my apologies.   I wouldn't have brought it up, but when I read what Sharke said, it seemed like the same issue I had.  
Danny Danzi
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/25 23:22:41 (permalink)
batsbrew
 i didn't mean you, danny,
 i meant the OP and everyone else who seemed to just gloss over what i said.

no matter, i was just trying to help,
but i have my pet rock, so it's all cool!

You quoted me though. LMAO! It's all good man....we're both here to help and I'd just about never disagree with anything you'd have to offer. ;)

My Site
Danny Danzi
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/25 23:24:56 (permalink)
dkap2000
Thank again Danny and Batsbrew for taking the time to help me with this.  I'm still not sure you are hearing what I feel is the problem.  Maybe my ears are just super sensitive.  Perhaps, I'm nuts.  And, perhaps, my first example wasn't the best.  I made another guitar isolation from a different tune where the 2k ringing seems a little more pronounced.

Here is the tone that is bothering me.  I made this with a tone generator.  I can clearly hear it as a strong overtone in the first few seconds of the guitar track.

If this is what you have both been commenting on all along, please accept my apologies.   I wouldn't have brought it up, but when I read what Sharke said, it seemed like the same issue I had.  

Will check.this out and get back to you tomorrow. I'm doing a session in another studio tonight where I won't have the time to listen. I'll be in touch tomorrow afternoon.

My Site
Danny Danzi
Re: Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording 2018/01/27 04:36:25 (permalink)
dkap2000

Sorry to get back to you late....

I hear the tone you put up, but I don't hear that as anything dominating in the sound you are playing. To my ears, I'm hearing a sound with a considerable amount of reverb on it with a pretty long tail. You mentioned that THAT accentuates the noise even more, but man, for the life of me I'm simply not hearing what you are hearing. The first thing that lashes out at me is the amount of verb. I'm not hearing anything in the sound that sounds like an artifact or ring or chime. The 2093 tone you put up sure sounds like a verb tail to me along with a note played....almost like a harmonic. I really don't know what to tell you on that. If you hear it and it bothers you, by all means it's an issue. But if you didn't provide the 2093 sample, I'd say the verb tail could be the issue.

Just for the heck of it, could I hear that sound without any verb on it? You say the verb brings it out more...it could possibly be the verb. Some verbs have eq control or high pass/low pass. Backing some high end out of the verb may fix you right up. Low pass it at about 10k and see if anything changes for the better. Under 8k and the verb will start to get dull on you. But after hearing these now, I'd definitely say it's something to do with the verb. I wish I could help you further, you got me stumped on this one if the verb being off (or a different verb) doesn't stop the artifact from happening. Or at least an eq control of the verb should calm things down a bit.

-Danny

My Site
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1