Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Redstick
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2018/03/03 15:50:59 (permalink)

Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3

I'm a newbe here so if I posted this in the wrong section pls let me know ...
I've been using Guitar Tracks Pro 3 for recording my Friday Night Jam sessions with friends but recently I upgraded my PC and now I'm running Windows 10 so my old version no longer works.
What's the best (and economical) option for me?
Move to another package (maybe Sonar)?
Which recording applications will read Guitar Tracks Pro 3 (.cwp) files?
Thanks for your assistance

37 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/03 16:45:18 (permalink)
    The least cost solution that will read Cakewalk project files is the free SONAR Home Studio
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/03 21:43:41 (permalink)
    Yup, for sure the least cost solution!!!  

AND the only Cakewalk product still for "sale"!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 12:30:02 (permalink)
    Is it true I can download a Free copy?
    I saw this post but after entering the codes and selecting Redeem nothing happened (no email no download)
     you copy paste this: 

3327-46FD-8F9A-BBC7

Here     
    What am I doing wrong?
    Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 13:48:17 (permalink)
    I managed to download Sonar Home Studio but when I try to open my Guitar Tracks Pro 3 files I get this msg
    Audio buses utilized by project(10) exceed maximum allowed(8).
    To open this file it must be re-configured and saved with a Cakewalk product that supports the configuration.

Next step?
    Maybe, open old files and save as ?

abacab
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 14:20:35 (permalink)
    As you can see here, Home Studio is limited to 64 tracks, and 8 busses.
    https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions

I would try to find an older computer that can run the old program, just to open and save the project files with 8 or fewer busses.

Since Cakewalk products are no longer for sale, there are no options for upgrade at this time.  Maybe there will be one day in the future when BandLab releases a new version of the DAW previously called 'Sonar' (but no timetable given yet).

Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 17:04:43 (permalink)
    I still have my old XP computer.
    I'll open Guitar Tracks Pro 3 and save my files in 8 buss format then see if Sonar can read them.
    Thanks
    Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 17:16:56 (permalink)
    I opened a Guitar Tracks Pro 3 files and under 'save as' the only 2 options are Normal or Cakewalk Bundle.

Will Cakewalk Bundle allow Sonar to read?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 17:56:55 (permalink)
    SONAR Home Studio will open bundles or projects that do not exceed the limits imposed by the software.
    Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 19:28:27 (permalink)
    Abacab mentioned - save the project files with 8 or fewer busses but  the only save options I have are Normal or Cakewalk Bundle, not 8 or 10 Busses ...
    abacab
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 20:11:08 (permalink)
    Redstick
    Abacab mentioned - save the project files with 8 or fewer busses but  the only save options I have are Normal or Cakewalk Bundle, not 8 or 10 Busses ...

Did you try this yet?  First re-configure the project, and then save as? 

To open this file it must be re-configured and saved with a Cakewalk product that supports the configuration.

The busses are something you created, and the file format really has nothing to do with that. It just saves the project the way you configured it.  As an experiment, delete all of the busses except for the master bus, and then route all tracks output to the master bus.  Save that as a copy of the original project, and see if that opens.

Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 20:42:46 (permalink)
    abacab - I re-configured my project and did a Save As and still the only 2 options are Normal or Cakewalk Bundle
    abacab
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/04 22:03:22 (permalink)
    Redstick
    abacab - I re-configured my project and did a Save As and still the only 2 options are Normal or Cakewalk Bundle

Those are the only two options available to save as.  Choose either one.  The file type and has no relationship to the project configuration.  It is only a container for the project data as it is.

Strryder
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 426
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 00:03:38 (permalink)
    GTPro3 has 8 subgroup buses and 2 aux buses = 10 buses

In GTPro3 you cannot delete or remove any tracks or buses because they are  hardwired into the program, so Sonar Home Studio will most likely remove the last 2 buses when opening one of your projects for the first time.

I would "save as" a normal project, with each project saved into it's own properly named folder, making sure that "copy all audio with project" is checked, and in the settings make sure that "use per project audio folders" is also checked, bundle files are more risky to use because if the file becomes corrupted you lose all of your audio along with it.

Strryder
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 00:09:31 (permalink)
    Redstick, were you using any VST plugins with Guitar Tracks Pro 3?

If NOT I can help you get GTPro3 running on a windows 10 machine.
    abacab
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 03:24:10 (permalink)
    Strryder

get GTPro3 running on a windows 10 machine.

It sounds like that may be the only option remaining.  If you read post #5 above, Home Studio refused to open the project due to the bus count.

msg Audio buses utilized by project(10) exceed maximum allowed(8).

Strryder
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 04:31:13 (permalink)
    It's not hard to get GTPro3 running on a windows 10 machine, the old VST adaptor doesn't work, so I un-install it before opening GTPro3 for the first time.

Both the really old Cakewalk DX plugins, and the GT:FX automatable DX plugins work and sound just fine.

I can type out a step by step for you.
    Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 12:33:10 (permalink)
    Ok guys, first you need to know the extent of my experience with GTP3 (VERY limited)
    - The only way I've ever used GTP3 is to simply record our jam sessions
    Open a new project - deselect 'Metronome during recording' and 'Accent the first beat' buttons, select the 'R' for record and press Record.
    - I've recorded multiple tracks on some projects. Mute the 1st track, select 'R' record on a second track. Listen to the 1st track via headphone while recording the 2nd track (I found out the hard way if you don't use headphones you are re-recording the play-back onto your 2nd track(sounding kinda messy). Using headphone eliminated this ...
    - Never done any post-production, now that I'm retired I planned to start learning how ...
    - Had to upgrade PC from XP to Win 10, hence the problems/issues I'm having
    - My Goal is to find a product that will read/run my GTP3 files on win 10, I've read GTP3 is not compatible with win 10 so I've been looking for a Cakewalk product that is compatible with win 10 and can read my GTP3 files.
    It's my understanding that Sonar will accomplish this?
    - Once I confirm or locate a package that will do this I planned to start learning how to do some basic post-production work to clean-up our recordings and maybe add some enhancements.

Strryder - I like your suggestion. Maybe I could (get GTPro3 to run on Win 10) I'm very interested in your step-by-step instructions. 
    If I get this accomplished I wonder if I should upgrade to Sonar or continue with GTPro3 on Win 10? I downloaded Sonar Home Studio for Free.

As always guys I really appreciate your help.
    This past Friday is the 1st time I haven't recorded our jam sessions in a long time and everyone was a little disappointed. We like to hang out after the sessions, listen to the playback and critique ourselves or be amazed that we sounded better than we thought :-)

I anxiously await your comments ...

abacab
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 13:46:57 (permalink)
    Redstick

Strryder - I like your suggestion. Maybe I could (get GTPro3 to run on Win 10) I'm very interested in your step-by-step instructions. 
    If I get this accomplished I wonder if I should upgrade to Sonar or continue with GTPro3 on Win 10? I downloaded Sonar Home Studio for Free.

I would follow up on the suggestion to get it working in Win10, especially for recovering your old sessions.  Unfortunately there are no Sonar upgrade options available at this time, other than Home Studio.

As always guys I really appreciate your help.
    This past Friday is the 1st time I haven't recorded our jam sessions in a long time and everyone was a little disappointed. We like to hang out after the sessions, listen to the playback and critique ourselves or be amazed that we sounded better than we thought :-)

In the meanwhile, you can always record your new sessions in Home Studio!

Start with a blank project:

1. Insert an audio track.
    2. Select the audio input that you are plugged into.
    3. Select the output that you want to hear the track playback on.
    4. Click the track's 'Record Enable' button.
    5. Click the track's 'Input Echo' button if you want to monitor the input during recording through the computer, if you are not already doing this externally.  You probably don't want to do both at the same time due to latency of the signal through the PC.
    6. Check your input levels.
    7. Hit record and go!

The details are in the 'Help > Getting Started Guide', Tutorial 3, 'Recording vocals and musical instruments'.

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 14:48:19 (permalink)
    If Strryder can get you up and running with GTP3 on Win 10, that is best case. Below is more of another option should it come to such.

I am trying to remember, but doesn't GTP3 save files as *.wrk? And also save all audio in the (Global) Audio folder?

In a worst case scenario, you could manually import projects (by track) into a new Home Studio Project, but the only way to do so would be to know what audio files go with which project. Does anyone know if ProjectScope taps into wrk (or even cwb) files (I didn't install it on my new machine)? If so, that will allow you to look at a project file and see the associated audio tracks. From there, in a new Home Studio project, you can import audio into each track.

If these are not complex, you can forego the above and simply import the audio from your global audio folder willy nilly (or use the browser to listen to them from within Home Studio or even Windows first). If you have GTP3 on an XP machine, it may also be simpler to look at what audio goes in which project.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Strryder
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 15:08:55 (permalink)
    Basic installation of GTP3 on Windows 10 is pretty easy, bear with me a moment, I'm gonna un-install it so that I can then re-install it and get the process noted for you.

Are you using an audio interface to get plugged into your computer, or maybe plugging a mixer into the built in line input?

How are you hooked up to play back your recordings?

So you've been pretty much just making stereo or mono recordings of you jam sessions with just minimal overdubs on only some of the recordings?
    Strryder
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 16:57:23 (permalink)
    OK here goes..

1. Insert CD, it probably won't auto run, but if it does, stop it or let it stop on it's own, then exit/close it.

2. Click the folder icon near the start button on the taskbar to open the Windows File Explorer, then once in there, select "This PC" from the list on the left.

3. You should see the Guitar Tracks Pro 3 icon in your optical drive, right click on it and select "Open", after that you should be seeing the contents of the CD, now find the Guitar Tracks Pro folder and double click it to go inside, then double click on the Setup.exe file to begin installation.

4. After entering your name and serial #, the "select components" page should come up, I usually do it like this,
    - I de-select "Sample Files", these are some bundle files for use with the tutorials in GTP's help files, it is possible that your windows 10 cannot open the built in help files because they changed the help file format back around windows 7 or 8.
    - Click the "Options" button in the Audio FX section, then click on the "Select All" button, now, at this point I de-select the following plugins that I don't want installed,
    - SpectraFX, it seems pretty unstable and easily crashes GTP3.
    - AmplitubeLE, it would require authorization from IK, and after 14 years since GTPro3 was a new product, that's probably not gonna happen, I don't use it anyway.
    - GT:FX Tuner, I don't use it, if I recall correctly, it might have been a little flakey.
    When done with these selections click the "OK" button, and then the "Next" button to proceed.

5. I don't install the WMA codec, after 14 years I'm sure it's completely obsolete, "Next"

6. GTPro3 will now install.

7. Choose "NO" to registering VST plugins, then "Next"

8. Install Complete, de-select "Launch Guitar Tracks" and "View read Me", click the "Finish" button
    Guitar Tracks should now be installed, you can now close the open file explorer window and remove the Installation CD.

Before running GTP3 for the first time, I would un-install the old VST adaptor program, it doesn't work, I've tried at least 7 or 8 times to get it working, but no luck there.

9. Right click on the Windows start button, up at the top of the pop up menu you should see "Apps and Features", click on that and wait for windows to build the list, then scroll down to "Cakewalk VST Adaptor 4", click on it and choose un-install, when it's finished, close the Windows Settings window.

10. Run Guitar Tracks Pro 3, first the wave profiler will run, when it's finished click on "Close", and Guitar Tracks should open.
    Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 17:17:54 (permalink)
    Strryder - Here is my set-up using GTPro3
    - Connect all of my microphones to my PA
    - Connect an audio cable from PA(REC OUT) to my PC(Microphone In)
    - Connect my Stereo Receiver to my PCs(audio in)
    This set-up allows me to record raw audio then play-back using my audio receiver.
    I've had no teaching/instruction on the proper way to do this, it's just the logical(in my mind) way to get our Jam audio into the PC/GTPro3 application.

I'm sure you guys can teach me a better way ...

abacab
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/05 18:37:59 (permalink)
    So to summarize how I understand your setup (assumptions):

You are just using the PC like a tape deck, with one stereo input (L/R) to record your entire mix live from the PA mixer.

All of your live monitoring is done with the PA, so that you are not using any live VST effects plugins in the PC, or monitoring the tracks via the stereo receiver as you play and record.

Your stereo receiver (essentially your audio monitoring system) is only used for playback of the recorded session.

Then maybe some overdubs afterwards?

Years ago my buddies and I used to do basically the same thing for our weekend jam sessions.  It was always fun to relax afterwards and listen to the playback! 

That is the most simple and straightforward way to record a full live mix, but if you ever want to get the instruments isolated to individual tracks to make detailed mixing and editing possible, it will necessarily become more involved with technique and/or equipment expense wise.  That is not really a limitation of the programs you have, as what you have is capable of way more than you are using it for.

For that last question, you may want to visit the forum devoted to 'Techniques' and ask away with your recording questions over there.  Plenty of expert folks available to help with answers on that topic!  http://forum.cakewalk.com/Community-f87.aspx

Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/06 12:07:48 (permalink)
    Abacab,
    Your assumptions are correct. (quick and dirty recordings but fun to listen to)
    And yes, I enjoy recording some overdubs to add additional instruments to the mix.
    GTPro3 was very easy to do a simple recording:
    Open a new Project - deselect 'Metronome during recording' and 'Accent the first beat' buttons then select the 'R' for record and press the Record button.
    I fear Sonar Home Studios not as easy to set up a simple recording. I'm trying to learn how to before our Friday jam session this week and I'm struggling ... :-/

Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/06 12:23:02 (permalink)
    I can't get past step 1,
    From Cakewalk start screen,
    Select 'new project' then you have to select one of the following
    (basic-4track-16track-empty track-guitar amps or vocals.cwt)
    I guess I need to talk to the folks at
    Forums.cakewalk.com/community-f87.asps
    Forums are a great tool and I really appreciate your help.
    Thanks ...
    Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/06 13:11:06 (permalink)
    I managed to record a basic track but I can't seem to get the input volume loud enough.
    I adjusted the hwd output db to max and the sound card output to max and it sounded a little louder but the audio track strip is only at 1/3 volume. 
    How can I get the volume up?
    abacab
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/06 15:20:58 (permalink)
    Redstick
    I managed to record a basic track but I can't seem to get the input volume loud enough.
    I adjusted the hwd output db to max and the sound card output to max and it sounded a little louder but the audio track strip is only at 1/3 volume. 
    How can I get the volume up?

'Help > Getting Started Guide, Tutorial 3, Recording vocals and musical instruments > Getting Ready to Record'

At this point, we need to check the input levels to make sure they are sufficient and not distorting.

Perform as you would if you were recording and watch the meter on the track respond to the sounds you produce.

If the meter never even comes close to the maximum, increase the input level. If the meter even occasionally reaches the maximum, decrease the input level.

If you are using the Windows audio device, you may need to check the "Recording Devices > Properties > Levels" to make sure that is turned up.

Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/06 15:32:25 (permalink)
    I found it - THANKS
    Redstick
    Re: Need Help! Guitar Tracks Pro 3 2018/03/09 23:56:05 (permalink)
    Strryder,
    This weekend I will try to load GTPro3 in Compatibility mode.
    Keep my fingers crossed ...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1