Author
rhynosynth
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 520

40 Replies Related Threads

rhynosynth
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/04 23:39:57 (permalink)
    Bumping this for feedback.  All crits and comments welcome.
    BretB
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/04 23:53:14 (permalink)
    Ok, I will break the ice.  I very much like a lot of this and some, not so much.  It seems overall, for me, that each "movement" or section of music should evolve into the next right before you have tired of that feeling.  This goes behond that on each section for me so I had to use the mouse to skip to the next section.  I liked each section, my pactience would not allow me to stay with it for the duration.  A good example of what I am trying to convey might be this post.

All that said, I did listen to the entire song and enjoyed it.  I listen to the first 10 seconds of many songs and go on.  Mix was nice also.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/05 10:53:50 (permalink)
    The drum mix is the weakest part of the production.  What are you using for drum samples?  Do you have the option of using room mic and/or overhead mics?

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/05 16:51:10 (permalink)
    I have to admit to jumping around too.... the longer songs tend to make me do that. 

Is that 100% synth? 

I enjoyed some of the segments quite well. 

good mix.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/06 01:32:42 (permalink)
    Nice orbiting. I couldn't listen on proper phones/speaks or at a proper volume due to people sleeping... But I enjoyed what I could hear of the lead guitar, good job Rino. 

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    bandontherun19
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/06 01:35:16 (permalink)
    "dbl post" sorry.

----------
    rhynosynth
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/06 03:21:06 (permalink)
    BretB
    Not sure if you mean each part wasn't exploited enough or if it went on too much. It is a bit long as whole and I appreciate you sticking with it and commenting. Thanks.

Bobby
    Glad you enjoyed this. I did make an attempt to keep it evolving with the exception of the verse bridge chorus (if you can even call it that) going twice. Steve is one of a kind and I do love his playing and his willingness to experiment and be adventurous. Wasn't trying to cop him as nobody really can but if you think there's a tinkling of that spirit in there then thank you very much. I appreciate the listen and comment.

jsaras
    You have some great ears. I used EZ DFH with separate tracks. I foolishly deleted the room track and turned the overheads way way down. Added some comp to each track. The drums stood out clearer when I did this. My intention was to add some verb for room and treat the cymbals as well. Then I couldn't get the drums/cymbals to not wash out when I attempted to treat them. It is exactly the room and overhead. Pretty amazing (to me anyway) that you nailed both. I've done a half dozen funky psychedelic type tunes over the past few months and I don't have the issue of getting the drums to stand out with the room/mic. It's the tom heavy rock songs I can't seem to find a balance for. It seems that when I turn the room and OH down they sound more separate and clear but lifeless. I'm going to try and fix this. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Herb
    I hear you on the long songs thing. I love em myself. 100% synth? You're kidding :-). Didn't you read the song description on soundcloud? "lot's of guitars and synthesizer"  I'm kidding and I know what you mean tho. Funny thing is the guitars are a class A amp with an amperex bugle boy in there. You would have loved them before I shoved every effect known to mankind on them LOL. I love pure tones and I love effected tones equally. Bass is a Warwick corvette into a Joe meek VC6 and then an avalon U5. I wanted this one effected all round. Thanks for the listen and comments. 

Robby
    Wouldn't have known this was you had I not seen your comments on MGH's tune. Yeah I'm currently in a hyperbolic orbit and should be making my escape soon. C'mon wake everybody up. They'll get thier hour back. I appreciate the listen and comment.

post edited by rhynosynth - 2011/11/06 03:22:19
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/06 08:24:32 (permalink)

Nice song Rino , I did focus on the drums in this song mainly because I am a drummer .
    I sort liked the drums in this and the other half of me was thinking I would had played it slightly different .
    Just seem more of a struggle then natural , I like that relaxed feel of playing when working with drum patterns and drum fills .
    Also the drum mix to me was a bit on the weak side , didn't sound bad but could use some adjustments in the mix .

Nice job ! Radio

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/09 01:32:55 (permalink)
    Some nice work RSynth.  As my grammy winning songwriting friend says to me, "Moments of Genius and Moments of Disaster".  I didn't really hear the disaster part but I understand that's his way of not telling me what he's really hearing.  He's a big producer and forgets when we were hauling amps in his 62 Ford Falcon to play for $25.  Sorry I got off track.  I like the movements but usually don't listen so lonmg.  I did on this and I believe I like it.  "Moments of genius and moments of Not Genius."  Ha , my new big shot producer line.  Nice work (and lots of it!!!)

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/09 10:37:34 (permalink)
    finally got around to commenting! wow the song title is pretty apt! enjoyed the first section very much. from 2'16 something sounds a bit out of tune - the clean guitar and the synth, then clean guitar and the lead...loving the synth from around 3'10, very very cool sounding and well played. the final harmony lead was way cool!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/09 13:20:57 (permalink)
    I like the tune as well. The drums were the weakest part as said.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/09 21:10:58 (permalink)
    The guitar starting at 1:00 could stand to come up IMO.  That's some crazy good playing and I felt like it could be showcased more.  (just listening on laptop headphones, though.)  Love the bass at 2:30 on.  Cool synths and changes throughout.  
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/11 00:11:00 (permalink)
    Cool tune.  Really great guitar playing.  Enjoyed the clean guitars, too.

Nice guitar harmonies.  You've got a ton of cool stuff here. 

Nice arrangement and mix, too.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    rhynosynth
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/13 00:13:14 (permalink)
    James I'm glad you focused on the drums and you're absolutley right abou the drums feeling more relaxed. They're always the toughest for me. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Warren I love the quote and hearing stories like that. I'll bet those amps you were hauling back then were some of the most desired today. Thanks for sticking with it for the duration and the kind words.

Bobby I get it and I very much value your comments. Thanks again.

Mark I did have a detune effect in there at some points. Try to get it souryish. I guess it worked too much LOL. It's messy in a more than a few places. Thanks for the listen and I appreciate all the comments.

Guitarpima Good drums aren't my thing. Not yet anyway. I got to work on them. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Janet You know I listened after reading your comment and I believe a bit more volume on the lead in the beginning would work out. The backing at that point is really just to support the melodic theme and without nailing it home kinda defeats the purpose. Bass comment makes me happy. Thanks for listening and the kind words.

Gary I'm very glad you liked it. It rough all over and needs work but it's good to hear it's worth it. Thanks for taking a listen and the kind comments.

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/15 03:50:44 (permalink)
    Hey,

Wow, I almost missed this great instrumental, but I'm sure glad I didn't!  I really love this song.

Very cool stuff, I really like the textured synth work and the thick, smooth tone and tasty playing on the guitar solos.  The clean guitar is sparkling nicely, and the the "bubbly" sounding synth at around 3:40 was a nice touch, as well as the wah-wah solo sections.  The bass sounds fantastic, and the entire mix is really clean, wide sounding, and well polished.

I'm on my second listen. I easily hung in there for the full eight minutes, and personally, I think the changes of the soundscape throughout the entire arrangement works very well at holding interest even if the song is a little bit longer than usual.  But then again, I also wore out my copy of "Innagadadavida"!

Really dynamite writing, killer playing and great production work, fantastic job!
    Bob
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/15 18:09:58 (permalink)
    I really like this.  I had no trouble with the flow through the whole song.  Love the first change at 1:00  The lead guitar and the chorused rythym guitar through most of the song sounds tuned a hair too sharp.  You could bump it down a few cents with the cakewalk pitch shifter.  Otherwise some amazing work.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/15 22:34:53 (permalink)
    Many, many nice sections – some of which could become tracks on their own.   It’s a bit of a musical bombardment and it overpowers me – I think it keeps me from getting familiar with any particular section and therefore I can’t get a real appreciation for a set of chords and melodies. It’s kind of like when I’d watch my kids playing video games and they keep moving from scene to scene - the music changes quickly and unexpectedly. Outstanding guitar playing and the double tracked harmonies are perfect. Good composition and terrific musicianship!
    rhynosynth
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/16 23:14:10 (permalink)
    Bob Thanks so much for giving this a listen and sticking with it. It needs a lot of work but the feedback I'm getting is invaluable. Your input is much appreciated.

Mark I'm gonna try and detune those parts a hair. I Value your input and thanks for the listen and comments.

Manny I know what your saying and thanks for the comment. You know you get caught up and in your own mind you think this is great so it's fantastic to get an opinion like yours to ground yourself. Thanks for the listen and comments.
    bandontherun19
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/17 01:24:24 (permalink)
    I like the voices, and the pads and synths. And the overall makeup of the song? I can't comment on the mix because I listen on laptop speaks these daze... The rhythm guitar (one of them) was a tad out of tune.

The orbiting was AWESOME!!! 

And I enjoyed the waw waw, and chorus effects. 

All in all, I particularly enjoyed this. And my buddy who was over who hears me listen to many things? Got up and came over and said, "who is this?" :-) And I said, "you haven't heard of him, but he's good!" :-D

-Robby

----------
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/17 07:19:46 (permalink)
    I hear, early Yes, Genesis and other prog influences nice tune, no comments to make as they have all been made.  Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/17 09:43:13 (permalink)
    Hey Rhyno,
    I really enjoyed this piece.  I didn't have a problem with the flow and enjoyed all 8 minutes.  What a cool change and synth sounds used around 3:22.  At times between the synth pads used and the tone of the electric guitar I felt a STEVE MILLER/RUSH/QUEEN vibe.
    The mix on my end was clean and clear.  I'd have to say your weak link are the drums in this mix.  They just don't sound like they are sharing the same space as the rest of the instruments.  Maybe they need more verb/delay or to be set back in the mix just a smidge.  I would also play with the EQ a bit on the snare. It has a bit of a paper snap sound.  A thicker snap IMO would sound better.  All in all, a really FANTASTIC performance/ tune.  KUDOS!

Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2011/11/17 10:36:40

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/17 10:20:33 (permalink)

I love this - especially the tapped guitar parts and the harmony leads later on.

Well thought out and developed, very nice indeed.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

groveendroad
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/18 10:18:23 (permalink)
    Love alot of the guitat work and the way every thing builds in the beginning. I would like to hear a bit more reverb in the drums.

Terry
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/20 12:02:10 (permalink)
    + + + + 1 ------great song
    suggestion----- snare is weak
    rhynosynth
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/11/22 14:17:38 (permalink)
    Robby Thanks for the extra listen and please thank your friend for the kind words.

Wookie Thanks for listening. I appreciate the comments.

Kev  I laughed after I read the paper snap comment. It really is. Perfect description. I really appreciate the listen,references and kind words.

Steve Thanks for listen and kind words. I appreciate your opinion.

Terry Drums are big issue. Thanks for the listen and nice commnets. Always good to hear from you.

BIABDude Thanks for listening and commneting. Yeah... the paper snare has to go.

Thanks again to all that commented. This was a rough draft and the feedback has been invaluable. It'll take a bit but There are quite a few things I'm going to change as well as redo some parts and rework the drums.
    thalweg
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 571
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/12/20 10:30:29 (permalink)
    This is interesting. I agree with the comments of the others. The quality of the mix is good and bit more presence in the guitar would be my preference but great guitar playing. Like the bass line...has a proggy ELP rock feel to it. This has potential for sure.

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/12/20 11:12:35 (permalink)
    Hey rhyno, cool tune here. Some really crafty ideas and moments of "wow" throughout! I can tell you really put a lot of time into this...it shows. Good guitar stuff going on and everything has a purpose within the tune. The big issues I hear that stick out to me have already been mentioned. The drums need some work..just thin sounding and I'd definitely use a different snare.

Also in the beginning, there is a click sound on every crash that drove me nuts. LOL! Don't know what the heck that is...almost like a metronome click is straying or something. It's really weird. I was surprised no one commented on it...then again, I do have animal hearing. LOL!

The guitars (especially the clean ones with chorus) either have too much chorus going on to where it's messing with your tuning, you're tuned sharp or there may even possibly be an intonation problem or something. But there's definitely a sharp drift somewhere. It also happens on your lead guitar in a few spots too. So I'm thinking your tuning just drifted and it's nothing to worry about.

But other than the above, this is a really cool idea. I listened to the whole song and it kept my attention all the way through. Some really nice solo work on the guitar as well as various textures within the tune that bring it to another level when it needed to be. Nice work bro. :)

-Danny 

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/12/20 14:22:14 (permalink)
    I'm thinking this mix is upside down.

Now you are a very solid and accomplished soloist but all the virtuosity seems hidden under the 'backing', rather than the backing providing you with a solid platform to do you excellent stuff on top of.

The drum parts are nice but the sounds are horrible like you are only using the close mics, a better bet would be to get the overheads working first, then bring in the room then lastly bring up the close mics to add the emphasis you want.  Get a good sub-mix going through a bus then you can take the whole drum mix up and down without messing up the relative volumes of the kit pieces.

To the same end the bass and clean guitars are too loud as well and ought to sit in nicely with the synths.

Once all that is in order then we can enjoy your undoubted soloing chops to their full potential.

But this all moves along nicely into a really nice slice of prog and some really cool playing.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:New Song Polychromatic Daydream 2011/12/20 14:41:26 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

I'm thinking this mix is upside down.

+1000000

Your guitar playing is awesome, and that bass sound you got comes through really really well. And the "DreamWeaver" synth gliss is a touch of greatness.

But overall the mix sounds like is has a wet blanket over the whole thing.

Sorry, I didn't comment earlier, but I mis-took this Poly song for the other one that is on the board!

post edited by jamesyoyo - 2011/12/20 15:39:08
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1