Helpful ReplyLockedNew "Brainchild" release

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 22:09:50 (permalink)
Chandler
[...] Z3ta+2 is extremely powerful [...]

Z3TA+2 is so powerful it can be intimidating (and humbling), but as far as a sound canvas to create any sound in your head I haven't encountered a better one. For those savvy at sound creation (I am not one of them, btw), Z3TA+2 is pretty limitless.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
mettelus
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 22:20:53 (permalink)
Quick comment to the OP... Craig uses SONAR and learns here as well as contributes with as much detail/background as possible. Your "counters" to him are often vague and seem (increasingly) without merit. Even the thread title is terribly misleading as you simply threw a new title to the same topic, and have yet to answer the question of any experience using SONAR.

Craig's patience is infinitely higher than mine, but this thread comes across as someone trying to teach defensive driving to someone who has never driven now. What's the point if you have no car?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Drone7
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 22:35:18 (permalink)
Spencer
The absolute last thing sonar needs for electronic music is more instruments and audio content. What it needs is duplicate, an automation envelope system that isn't geriatric, and to be able to record soft synths in real-time. All three of these are in the feedback forum right now, I welcome you to give the posts 5 stars.

"world-class" producers don't use any synths that are included in any daw, they use Massive, Nexus, Alchemy, SynthMaster, FM8 and Sylenth. Quite a few of them use Z3ta+ however (it was recently recommended by none other than synthesis god BT in an interview). I don't think there is anything you can do in psyn or pentagon that you can't in z3ta+, so why bother to update these dinosaurs? There's also Rapture, anyway. As for Dim Pro, it's a rompler for old school sounds. Some people prefer making good 90s or 80s music than that ear-raping millennial ****, believe it or not. You need a better rompler: get Nexus. Which doesn't come included with any other daw, again.

If you need a better arp, get a synth with a better arp, or get Cthulhu or Kirnu Cream. There's this thing called VST support for a reason in Sonar.

Jesus H Christ, man.

If anything, I'd say dolts like you are the reason Cakewalk don't spend more time catering to the desires of the electronic music crowd. The guitar grandpas at least don't constantly talk out of their ass and **** and moan incessantly for no valid reason whatsoever.

Your dribbling man, wipe your damn mouth you dolt.

Sylenth? Massive? Synthmaster? FM 8? LOL. You haven't got a clue Mr! As to the rest of your babble, obviously you have no idea on planet earth what the hell you're talking about. And clearly you don't know what tools it takes to make the real deal. Come back in another life and try again when you get your head out of your useless ass. Did you ever wonder why Melodyne required ARA for optimal ease-of-use? Same reason why i asked for an 'intergrated' ARP you twirp. Kirnu Cream is a pain in the ass without ARA-type integration. So stop masturbating and crapping like you know everything, fartface! If you're gonna open your ugly mouth, make sure you've got something worth listening to, and make sure you know what the hell you're talking about.
post edited by Drone7 - 2015/03/04 22:43:40
Drone7
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 22:37:45 (permalink)
mettelus
Quick comment to the OP... Craig uses SONAR and learns here as well as contributes with as much detail/background as possible. Your "counters" to him are often vague and seem (increasingly) without merit. Even the thread title is terribly misleading as you simply threw a new title to the same topic, and have yet to answer the question of any experience using SONAR.

Craig's patience is infinitely higher than mine, but this thread comes across as someone trying to teach defensive driving to someone who has never driven now. What's the point if you have no car?

You're a waste of space man! What the hell are you doing here, and more importantly, who the hell asked you??? Lol
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 22:50:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mistergreen 2015/03/05 08:11:17
Drone7 I will lock this thread if you continue to post personal attacks. That is a serious violation of the CoC.  

Best
John
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 22:54:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby g_randybrown 2015/03/05 10:42:43
Drone7
Anderton
The workflow, interface, and unique features that other DAWs don't have.

Ahh, i see. You are aware that I can wipe my ass with any brand of toilet paper, aren't you?

I didn't realize that wiping your ass had anything to do with music production but if if you equate music production to wiping your ass, I'm not going to argue.

I gave you a civil response that explained the economics of why a program like SONAR does not want to increase the price in order to include genre-specific plug-ins of interest to a subset of its users, who are capable of choosing plug-ins to customize their program exactly as they want. You chose to answer in a way that completely ignores virtually everything I've said in these forums on multiple topics.

First, rhetorical questions are not intended to create a dialog yet that is your main method of attempting to make a point. You fabricate what I say, then answer that fabrication. I do not twist your words, I answer your concerns in as direct a way as I know how.

Are you suggesting that Sonar has reinvented the wheel? Considering that 99% of songs on the charts have not been made with Sonar, what unique feature (as you say) in Sonar would have made world-class chart songs better? I'm really dying to find-out just exactly what these so-called unique features are.

First, most people realize that a world-class song is the product of a songwriter and an artist, not a DAW.

If not knowing the unique features that SONAR has are indeed about to lead to your imminent death, well, I certainly wouldn't want blood on my hands. So, here you go.

One of SONAR's unique features is its ability to combine multiple functions that may be available in one DAW or another, but not all in one place and at one time. For example if DAW A has feature 1 but not features 2 and 3, DAW B has feature 2 but not 1 or 3, and DAW 3 has feature 3 but not 1 or 2, then if DAW D comes along and incorporates features 1, 2, and 3, then it is unique. I originally switched to SONAR because it did what had previously taken bouncing between two separate programs.

Here are my favorites, in no particular order.

VocalSync
Mix Recall
Matrix View
ARA support
DirectX, VST2, and VST3 support
Quick Grouping
Integrated MIDI arpeggiator on every track
The ability to create, edit, and export Acidized files
Bi-directional browser with recursive search
Rapture (still a great synth, and would be if it never existed and was introduced tomorrow) 
Transient view option in Edit filter
My amp sims 
FX Chains
The ProChannel (if you don't know why that's an advantage, I can explain in a separate post)
Clip FX
MIDI plug-ins (although not as good a selection as Cubase)
Instruments that extract MIDI data from REX files
Linear-phase EQs and multiband compressors for mastering
Editing on an individual sample level for restoration
OMF support
Fret view and Tab
64-bit floating point engine
DSD import and export
Automatic Groove Clip/Acidized wav tempo and pitch following
Multi-touch support
"Speed" comping that's significantly different from the way other DAWs handle comping
Smart grid (very handy for me)
Auto-Zoom (great when editing)
Tabbed multidock with content lock
Built-in Bitbridge
Blue Tubes processors
OMF

I find all those features very useful in the work I do.

What do you think would happen if you said to Pro Tools users or Fruityloop users or Cubase users or Ableton Live users "features that other DAWs don't have". They would rightly laugh at you, correct?

No, they're smarter than that. They recognize that all DAWs have unique features.

Unique features you say? Oh, are they so unique that world-class music hasn't been or can't be released without Sonar, or that any song likely to be released will not be complete without some unique feature in Sonar as you call it?

Once again, you are using rhetorical questions that do not relate to anything I said, claimed, or believe. Are you so unique that you see pink skies with blue suns? Well, do you?

See, that's how rhetorical questions work. Now you have to say "I never said I see pink skies with blue suns." Stop fabricating imaginary things I said, and address what I actually said. You might find this helpful.

you are simply making no sense whatsoever to me!

That's because either you fabricate what I say, you cannot understand what I say, or I am not capable of expressing myself clearly.

[qutoe]If then, as you infer, Sonar has superior workflow

I didn't. The question you asked, to which I responded asked what made SONAR "special." I answered with my opinion. How come you're allowed to have opinions, but no one else is? Do you like rhetorical questions?

How come the most popular and widely-used DAWs in the world are NOT SONAR????????????????????

Are you aware of how many copies of SONAR are installed? How many copies of Cubase? Pro Tools? Ableton Live? No, you arenn't.

I don't know exact numbers of all companies, especially the private-held ones. However, I receive sales figures on software, interfaces, guitars, keyboards, monitors, sound reinforcement, etc. every month by a service that provides these figures to the industry. I cannot tell you what it says because it is copyrighted and you have to pay quite a subscription fee to obtain this information. You have an opinion. I have facts. You are welcome to pay the subscription fee and find out for yourself which DAWs sell the best. Report back when you do. SONAR is doing very well.

And if included plugins are inconsequential to the buyers as you say

That is not what I said. Here is my quote: "Some people buy software for the provided plug-ins, some already have Waves plugs and Komplete and couldn't care less what a DAW includes."

Does that say included plug-ins are "inconsequential" to buyers? No. It says they matter to some people and not to others. Stop lying. 

then why do so many Sonar users inquire so intently about future forthcoming Sonar updates and ask about what new plugins will be added, and why do you and Cakewalk bother to provide any at all if this is not important?

For an "if/then" sentence to have any validity, the "if" has to be based in reality. Your "if" was not.

Shall i answer for you?

Why not? You seem to enjoy making up my answers. 

Because "value added" perceptions are 'indeed' very much part of it, regardless of whether users or potential customers already own several preferred plugins, that's why!

Sounds like you're agreeing with the guy who said "Some people buy software for the provided plug-ins." Oooops! That was me!

You seem to be suggesting that Z3TA+ has got all bases covered

Another fabrication.

how on earth is "drifting toward" creating new sounds for Z3TA+ "more relevant"?

This is getting tiresome. Read my response. I said programmers would rather program for a more relevant synth. Being cross-platform and iOs is more relevant than an older DXi synthesizer.

I don't understand your reasoning, especially when all your comments seem geared toward promoting Sonar under any circumstance, admitting nothing from others criticisms of Sonar, and denying everything else. Yep, it seems i've got "stupid" written on my forehead LOL

Maybe you do, but maybe you just haven't seen my effusive (and in my opinion, well-deserved) praise of Ableton Live (the program I use for live sets), my favorable mentions of Reason (particularly in the context of rewiring into SONAR), and also talking about tracking multiple classical albums, one of them award-winning, in Pro Tools. Look at Cubase 8, and you'll see one of my plug-in designs (Quadrafuzz) in there. Look on Acoustica's site, and you'll see my videos about Mixcraft. Check out my instructional videos on mastering with Studio One - they're all over the web. Oh, and when someone couldn't decide whether to get SONAR or Studio One, I recommended he get SONAR for multitracking and Studio One for album assembly. If that's "denying eveything else..." well...it was you, not me, who said you seem you have "stupid" written on your forehead. Personally I think that's a little harsh. I'd say "jumping to inaccurate conclusions without seeking clarification first" would be more accurate .

You say my comments "seem" or "suggest" or "infer" various things. Please take what I say at face value, and read the words I actually write.

And yet we have many plugins inside DAWs that apparently are 'free' by your reckoning

Where did I say that? Everything included in a program costs something, even if it's only the cost of the time required to include an ancient plug-in in a new installer. Some things cost more than others. Some things cost a lot more than others, and expensive items people don't need will not always be greeted with open arms.

The large majority of plugins inside Sonar have long been paid for and no longer incur cost

Consider the concepts of "royalties," "depreciation," and "cost allocation over time." While some elements within SONAR have (presumably) been fully depreciated by now, many have not.

If these things cost money, then how all the latest additions? Didn't they cost money???????? So why aren't we being required to pay more money for those?

You are. SONAR updates used to be $99. Then that went to $149 with X3 because of the extra expenses (Addictive Drums alone is $149, Melodyne Essential $99), and now the update price will be set to $199 although there is always the possibility of sales, as there always has been. But now you also get content with that.

And how come Cubase users didn't complain about the overbloated price of Cubase, did they say "Screw paying $700 for Cubase" (which is what it costs in Australia), and they knew that they were getting Groove Agent LE. How come Logic Pro X comes standard with some necessary plugins that Sonar doesn't have? How come Frutyloops users get free updates for life??? How come Mixcraft Pro 7 is riddled with sounds and a multitude of plugins and only costs $89? Because clearly you're overstating the cost factor, that's why! There's more than one way to skin a cat, and the price of a DAW is not directly related to development costs of plugins!

Do you really not understand that the reason why there are different DAWs in the world is because people have different needs? Did you really not track the cost of Logic over the years and note that when it became owned by a company with (currently) 178 BILLION dollars in the bank the price became less than what Emagic used to charge for in some cases a single plug-in? Also note that FL Studio doesn't give you EVERYTHING for free for life (at least that's what their web site says). Mixcraft is a very cost-effective program but take a closer look. You don't get Addictive Drums, Melodyne, VocalSync, Mix Recall, Matrix View, etc. And that's fine!! Not everyone needs those things. If they need exactly what Mixcraft offers, then they should buy Mixcraft. People have choices and they aren't stupid. Besides, Dan's a super-nice guy  

Let's tell the people some truth around here shall we!

Yes, please do. It would be refreshing.

Why would a drum-machine or three plugins cause a price-rise of $200 to all buyers of Sonar?

I drew a parallel with what Groove Agent costs, because you wanted to see something with those particular qualities. If Cakewalk had to charge something in the same vicinity of what other companies charge, then that would be the cost. But, perhaps Cakewalk does have some kind of special magic mojo that would allow them to produce plug-ins at a far lower cost that other manufacturers.

The price of a DAW is related more to how much money the DAW company think they can save while still garnering sales, and that's the primary driver behind the price, what little can they spend why still competing with the other DAWs, it's all 'perception based' selling, like everything else in the world. An iPhone 6 costs a grand total of exactly $245 to manufacture (that's a fact) and yet it sells for $800 outright, NOTHING TO DO WITH PRODUCTION COSTS!!!. Companies command their own profit margins based on what they think they can get away with and what they think market value of the DAW is, in other words it's based on the universal supply-and-demand principle of all trade. For a closer analysis, lets say 5,000 Sonar users by $200 extra (as you say); that equates to one million dollars, right? Well i can tell everyone reading this that it does not take $1,000,000 to produce three plugins, or just a sampled-based drum-machine plugin, that's for certain, so you're actually quite misleading in your assertions, unless you can prove that making three fairly basic plugins will require $1,000, 000, and i know it doesn't. I could design and produce a software drum-machine with a big palette of 24bit samples for $5000, so what indeed are you on about???

Then why does Steinberg sell Groove Agent for $180? Because they have to pay taxes, offer tech support for people who can't figure out to use it, receive store returns, create artwork for and manufacturer packaging, write documentation, cover overhead, probably pay royalties to the people who came up with the samples or whatever, assume its share of Steinberg's forums/marketing/advertising/trade show presence/quality assurance personnel, pay translation costs for multi-lingual manuals, pay for localization for different markets, cover shipping costs for boxed version and server costs for downloads, benefits packages for employees, markups to distributors, etc. You wanted someone to tell the truth; there it is. Music software is not a license to print money.

A very well-known software package that is used extensively by professionals and sold by a giant multinational corporation sold 12 copies last month. No, I'm not going to say who...subscribe to MI SalesTrak and find out. One reason why software costs what it does is based on dividing the total projected revenue by ALL the expenses listed above. There is no guarantee that the product will be successful, either. There may not BE "5,000" people who would be willing to pay another $200 for SONAR to have some specialized EDM plug-ins, but would prefer to spend $200 on plug-ins of their own choice...resulting in a sales disaster. If you can predict the future of product sales, you are crazy to be spending time making stuff up on a forum. You could be making a fortune.

Anderton
What do the Logic ARPs have SONAR's dedicated arps (that are integrated in each channel) don't have?

Drone7Much, actually!

Well that's certainly a definitive answer...and I had such a cool reply if you actually had elaborated. Remember, I own Logic Pro X.  

But many here have already made it known that they would like Dimension Pro to be updated, it is obvious that the stock sounds are not world-class, so why does Cakewalk keeping shipping this 7 year old Dimension Pro thingy mijig?

Because a) backwards compatibility has merit. and b) some people realize that what makes emotionally compelling music is musicians, not software. Dimension Pro has plenty of useful sounds. If you want a whole bunch of sounds that cost a sh*tload of money to produce, buy Kontakt, MachFive, HALion, Omnisphere, etc.

And as i've already expressed, creating a new core library in a rompler is not as expensive as you would have us believe, and this i know!

Okay, since you know this, why don't you give a dollar figure to how much it cost to develop the core library for four professional software ROMplers of your choice? Don't forget to factor royalty rates in on projected sales, as well as editing, formatting, entering into the software's browser, etc.

Economies of scale would recoup the cost while still boding well for Sonar sales overall. Truth be known, this is really all about Cakewalk essentially saying that this is a DAW for Guitar fiddlers and Trumpet blowers and EP players, and not for EDM producers.

http://blog.cakewalk.com/sonar-platinum-dancefair-utrecht-2015/

Some EDM producers are good enough they don't have to blame their tools, but instead use their tools to make music. And one of the quotes about SONAR encapsulates a very important point: “SONAR to me is crucial because it’s what helps me to ‘not’ sound like everyone else.” 

Many users of Sonar would be happy to have my suggested plugins onboard, they are relevant and the prime fundamentals for EDM, so are you saying that Sonar does not really cater to EDM, and thus my OP?

Many users of SONAR would be happy to have really good staff view and notation capabilities. Many would like more audio-for-video options. Many would like better sounding amp sims (well, they got those ). Many would like a mastering suite, audio analysis tools, orchestral libraries, better CD assembly, overall tempo varispeed, transparent multiband maximizers, and a hover car.

Multitrack tape recorders did not "cater" to rock and roll, yet rock and roll was recorded on them. Apostolic Studios did not cater to a weird synthesis of rock and classical, but Frank Zappa recorded there. SONAR is a canvas. What you paint on it is up to you. By providing support to all common Windows plug-in formats, you have access to a wealth of EDM-specific sounds and instruments, in addition to what's within SONAR.

Users of any DAW have the right to say what they desire to see in their DAW, this is well-known, so does Cakewalk have a problem with users mentioning such things?

Apparently they don't. There's a dedicated forum to feature requests, and there have been multiple threads pleading for staff view improvements, and few wanting more EDM tools.

I notice you like to appear as though you always know better, Mr Anderton, and you like to have the last say on any matter as if we have it all wrong, and i'm getting sick and tired of it quite frankly, so shall we leave this here for all to see and see if you or i get validated by public opinion and leave your incessant retorts out of it for a while??

I think perhaps public opinion would prefer having enough data to have an informed opinion. If you don't want me to reply, don't ask questions.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 22:55:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/03/05 00:34:28
Not a bad idea, John. This guy seems intent on causing conflict.
Anderton
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:02:16 (permalink)
Splat
Reminds me. I haven't turned on my Maschine or used Massive/Reaktor/Absynth for quite a while. I feel a tune coming on :)

Trivia: I own the first Maschine ever made. I was visiting NI in Berlin, and they showed me Maschine. I flipped out. I said I was going back to the states and I'd do anything to take it with me. They said no. I said "At some point, you will have to go to the bathroom. I will take Maschine and run out the door before you get out of the bathroom." They laughed and figured what the heck, they were going to make more anyway  

Besides, I think they felt they owed me something for writing the Battery manual (or was it Guitar Rig? Can't remember) in the aftermath of a hurricane in Florida that left me without water, electricity, cell phone, or gasoline for ten days. The only way I got the manual done was from running a laptop off the battery in my VW, and turning on the engine just long enough to charge it up. Yeah, I deserved Maschine for that!!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Drone7
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:03:26 (permalink)
John
Drone7 I will lock this thread if you continue to post personal attacks. That is a serious violation of the CoC.  

And exactly how come you didn't pull-up the two dweebs who dished-out the attacks first?? Double standards? What's your caper man? Looks like favouritism to me. You're showing partiity, not good at all. Geezzz! You people never cease to amaze me. Captain obvious!
post edited by Drone7 - 2015/03/04 23:24:45
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:03:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/03/05 00:34:49

Well as the OP is clearly some Child genius compared to most old farts who know nothing apparently, I think we know where thread is going don't we  .

Sorry but I really do hope you never buy or use Sonar, stick with fruity loops or something I suggest.
I also hope you never ever work in any professional recording studio, where the main tool people use is getting along with people.

Yup please lock this the child needs his bottle... 

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Splat
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:06:18 (permalink)
Anderton
Trivia: I own the first Maschine ever made. I was visiting NI in Berlin, and they showed me Maschine. I flipped out. I said I was going back to the states and I'd do anything to take it with me. They said no. I said "At some point, you will have to go to the bathroom. I will take Maschine and run out the door before you get out of the bathroom." They laughed and figured what the heck, they were going to make more anyway  

Besides, I think they felt they owed me something for writing the Battery manual (or was it Guitar Rig? Can't remember) in the aftermath of a hurricane in Florida that left me without water, electricity, cell phone, or gasoline for ten days. The only way I got the manual done was from running a laptop off the battery in my VW, and turning on the engine just long enough to charge it up. Yeah, I deserved Maschine for that!!

So much for the zimmer frame eh 

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Drone7
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:08:05 (permalink)
Splat

Well as the OP is clearly some Child genius compared to most old farts who know nothing apparently, I think we know where thread is going don't we  .

Sorry but I really do hope you never buy or use Sonar, stick with fruity loops or something I suggest.
I also hope you never ever work in any professional recording studio, where the main tool people use is getting along with people.

Yup please lock this the child needs his bottle...

Your monikor says it all man. You're nothing but a splat, so get your fat useless overfed ass out of here and shut the ---- up! Capiche!
post edited by Drone7 - 2015/03/04 23:22:49
Splat
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:10:11 (permalink)
Such a charmer...

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:20:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby g_randybrown 2015/03/05 10:59:55
EVERYBODY knock off the negative posts.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
forkol
  • Total Posts : 182
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:21:57 (permalink)
Here's what I'd like to see improved, as I have mentioned before in other threads:
1) A basic 16-pad sampler that can layer. Chandler's idea is spot on.  I know a lot of you say buy a third-party solution, but my reasoning here (and for some of my other suggestions) is that most DAW's have this, and I think if you are going to call Cakewalk a 'competitor' then it should be competitive.  I'd also like to get a companion feature to automatically split audio and have it create an instrument track with samples already mapped across the pads.  I think Cakewalk recognized the lack of having this in Beatscape, but just really didn't end up executing it very well, and it was dropped.

2) Better audio warping/alignment. Mr. Anderton says AudioSnap is good, and it may be, but for me, trying to use it on a full mix it basically produces unusable results.  I actually use Ableton to beat align/warp audio because it's so good, and maybe that's where it's going to stay, but from what I've seen, I don't think that Audiosnap (IMHO) is even as good as other DAW's, besides Ableton.  I guess if I say that I need to prove it, and at some point, I'm going to do a head-to-head comparison of various DAW's audio warping facilities just so I can see if what I think is actually true.

3) Live recording of track output.  Yes, many have asked for this.  This would really be useful for on-the-fly sound design.  Yeah, you can bounce, but it's not as useful, at least to me.

4) I would add an option to the Split Clips dialog to split at divisions of beats less than a measure, or maybe by the Snap Settings.  I know you can do this manually, or you can go into Audiosnap, but the manual way is a bit cumbersome, and I don't think you should have to haul up Audiosnap to split beats.

Also, as an aside, I'd like to see Cakewalk get Ilan Bluestone (An EDM Producer that uses SONAR) in and have him do an artist's track walkthrough/seminar or something.  I'd be VERY interested in how he's using Cakewalk to produce EDM with.  I'd think Ilan would enjoy it, since he's done instruction on this kind of thing, and it would really be good for the SONAR brand as well. 

No, I don't want more loops.  Actually, don't really want more signature FX/ProChannel stuff either.  I'd be content with the top two items.  I do have work-arounds, but they are expensive or kill your workflow. 

Spencer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:22:10 (permalink)
I don't mind the slurring, I started it. Gonna tell you one thing though. If using Cream "without ara is a massive pain in the ass", you're kinda out of your league and you should find another line of work.
Anderton
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:24:26 (permalink)
Drone7
John

And exactly how come you didn't pull-up the two dweebs who dished-out the attacks first?? Double standards? What's your caper man? Looksike favouritism to me. You're showing partiity, not good at all. Geezzz! You people never cease to amaze me. Captain obvious!

Still waiting for those dollar figures on what it costs to create a professional quality ROMpler library. You claimed it's something you KNOW.

Spencer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:31:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/03/05 00:35:14
The guy is actually just trolling. Look at his latest response to me. No reason to entertain this kid.
Splat
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:32:41 (permalink)
"And as i've already expressed, creating a new core library in a rompler is not as expensive as you would have us believe, and this i know!"

Most apparently it seems... He seems to know a lot...

Drone7
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:43:15 (permalink)
Anderton
Drone7
John

And exactly how come you didn't pull-up the two dweebs who dished-out the attacks first?? Double standards? What's your caper man? Looksike favouritism to me. You're showing partiity, not good at all. Geezzz! You people never cease to amaze me. Captain obvious!

Still waiting for those dollar figures on what it costs to create a professional quality ROMpler library. You claimed it's something you KNOW.

I do know!
No dollar figures needed, simply because as you know dollars are not needed! All that's needed is Kontakt 5, plus one month of time, plus the instruments, no cost involved because I have access to all the instruments. Dollar fugures need not apply, because money is not the issue. You've been found-out man, wear it and move on. As to your other replies to my last post, none of it made sense, you seem to be trying to convince yourself.
Splat
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:47:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/03/05 00:35:58
Spencer
The guy is actually just trolling. Look at his latest response to me. No reason to entertain this kid.

Yup 2 out of 10 for effort. The standard of trolling has gone right down in these forums...

Anderton
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:51:26 (permalink)
forkol
2) Better audio warping/alignment. Mr. Anderton says AudioSnap is good, and it may be, but for me, trying to use it on a full mix it basically produces unusable results.  I actually use Ableton to beat align/warp audio because it's so good, and maybe that's where it's going to stay, but from what I've seen, I don't think that Audiosnap (IMHO) is even as good as other DAW's, besides Ableton.

For the record, I said AudioSnap was good for individual tracks, but for program material, I had not found anything better than Ableton's advanced warping algorithm. Also for the record, I mentioned that Ableton's algorithm is what I use to process samples with varying tempos so they can work with Traktor (which doesn't do warping).

4) I would add an option to the Split Clips dialog to split at divisions of beats less than a measure, or maybe by the Snap Settings.  I know you can do this manually, or you can go into Audiosnap, but the manual way is a bit cumbersome, and I don't think you should have to haul up Audiosnap to split beats.

While not exactly what you want, when creating loop libraries I often need to split on 8th or 16th notes with lots of clips. If you just want to split one clip this isn't all that efficient, but when you need to split over multiple tracks, it's really fast.

Basically, set the snap value to where you want to split (e.g., 16th notes), right-click in the Clips pane, and add MBT to pool. Now you can add transient markers to a clip at the pool interval (e.g., 16th notes). Then use the AS "split on beats" option. You can hide the pool if you want, but it's always there when you need it.

Remember to set the clip threshold to 100% so only the pool transients are available, and note that you can set a variable fade time for the splits. That to me is the real time-saver...splits with no clicks.

The other great thing about this technique is you can slow down the tempo and the clips will stay anchored to the time line. It's almost like being able to create REX files out of clips within SONAR. 

mettelus
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/04 23:55:14 (permalink)
http://blog.cakewalk.com/category/music-production-tips/edm-music-production/
(Posted 27FEB2015)

I actually re-read the OP and first mention of EDM also referenced "Pop-Music"... so apparently we neglected his desire to talk about pop music....

all better now?

Splat
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/05 00:01:41 (permalink)
Ah yes. You know that song cost nothing to make because they owned all their own instruments (they bought them in a shop for nothing) and they all gave away their time for free. Money was never an issue so it cost nothing because all they needed was a free copy of women's weekly.

And then one day a beanstalk grew high and higher..
post edited by Splat - 2015/03/05 00:07:55

Anderton
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/05 00:10:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/03/05 01:00:00
Drone7
Anderton

I do know!
No dollar figures needed, simply because as you know dollars are not needed! All that's needed is Kontakt 5, plus one month of time, plus the instruments, no cost involved because I have access to all the instruments.

You sampling for a month creates a ROMpler's core library? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you don't know the difference between a "core library" and "instruments." I'll also give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have access to orchestral strings, vintage B3s, grand pianos, excellent players to create the samples, etc. and can do all the needed sampling, editing, formatting, mapping, and instrument creation in a month. As you assign no value to one month of your time, feel free to create a new and wonderful core library for Dimension Pro, and give it to Cakewalk for free.

You've been found-out man, wear it and move on. As to your other replies to my last post, none of it made sense, you seem to be trying to convince yourself.

I am not writing these posts for you; you are disingenuous, evasive, make claims you can't back up, refuse to answer questions, and avoid dialog by the constant use of rhetorical questions, which by definition are said without the expectation of an answer or furthering a dialog. (Look it up: "The rhetorical question is usually defined as any question asked for a purpose other than to obtain the information the question asks. For example, 'Why are you so stupid?' is likely to be a statement regarding one's opinion of the person addressed rather than a genuine request to know.")

I am writing these responses for people who are curious about how the real world works, how prices are determined, the size of the market, the tradeoffs of accommodating specialized versus more general needs, and the value of something like a core sample library. It also gives me an opportunity to offer advice to people who really DO have an interest in production solutions for EDM, like the technique I mentioned of creating a pool (with one right click and a context menu selection) that you could apply to any clip for splitting at rhythmic intervals, with variable fade times.

I already understand you are not interested in dialog, answering questions, or solving problems. I get that. I seems the solution to your problem is to go buy a program that has the features you need and make music with it, rather than complaining that SONAR isn't the program you want to buy. 

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/05 00:49:28 (permalink)
I think this sad little troll has been tolerated somewhat longer than it deserves.

Though it is kind of interesting that the forum software has trouble with "suspicious" but doesn't pick up on some of the choice terminology Drone7 has been treating us to an hour or so ago.

Now, Droney, pay attention and I'll let you into a secret. If you could actually, y'know, get your head around programing a synthesiser then you wouldn't need all those samples and loops, and whatever you programmed would come out at whatever audio quality you wanted. Same applies if you learned to use chains of effects processors. What's more, Sonar comes with shedloads of stuff for doing exactly that.

The people who can do that stuff, who create the sounds you want to use, are generally known as "musicians" by the way.

Obviously you aren't a "musician" because if you were you wouldn't be whinging away you'd be using the tools in Sonar or some other DAW of your choice to create music instead. And you'd be acquiring knowledge that one day you might pass on to others and appreciate the advice and knowledge others pass on to you.

Then you might just get a little respect. Note I said "might".
post edited by tlw - 2015/03/05 01:01:21

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/05 00:52:05 (permalink)
How many steps across the Code of Conduct lines will it take before this thread is locked? These types of threads seem to be becoming more frequent.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/05 01:06:51 (permalink)
I left it open until now, because in between all the flames were some posts that managed to add to the discussion.

This thread is about to get locked.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Anderton
Re: New "Brainchild" release 2015/03/05 10:19:23 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
I left it open until now, because in between all the flames were some posts that managed to add to the discussion.

This thread is about to get locked.

Bob Bone

Just don't delete it before I've had a chance to transfer the tip about splitting at rhythmic intervals with variable fades to the tip of the week or someplace else. I think it's useful info, I'd hate to see it get lost among the rantings from "Drone7."

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1