Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Taylor_514C
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1215
2009/03/04 02:58:44 (permalink)

No Reasons Why - Re-mixed

Hi Everybody,

This is my latest, and I could use some fresh ears for comments and critiques on the mix.

For drums, I used a Matt Cameron kit from KitCore, and all the synths are from DimPro.

Rhythm guitars are PodFarm.

On the master, I used the VC-64 and the Voxengo Saturator.

Thanks for listening, and the song is located here:

No Reasons Why
post edited by Taylor_514C - 2009/03/11 22:37:28

Taylor_514CMy Music:

41 Replies Related Threads

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 03:25:59 (permalink)
    Hi, Doug, cool song, with a really different sort of “melancholy” feel to it. The KitCore drums sound good and are very convincing. I might have to check that program out if they have a demo. The song is really well written, and as always from you, your vocals sound great, the synth fills were a nice ”classy” touch and I really liked the guitar solo. Great playing and the lead tone reminded me of early Steely Dan, ala “Reeling In the Years”.

Nice work!
    Bob
    Stevethesearcher
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 07:19:28 (permalink)
    The drums sound absolutely fantastic. I wish I could get my drums to sound like that.

The production is very good. Definitely one of the best I have heard in this forum.

Its a nice mellow rock song with a kind of seventies vibe.

If I had to be ultra critical the guitars could be sharper. They sound just a shade too bassy. The bass and guitars seem to be occupying the same frequencies. A litte eq would sort that out. I would seperate them out in the mix. The bass could be a fraction more clearer. Its a little muddy and its not pinging out as much as it should.

However thats just being very picky.Overall its very well mixed and a nice relaxing rock song.
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 09:23:27 (permalink)
    Hello Doug,

THat is one incredible mix. My only comment is that the vox sound dry. With a solid perfect mix on the rest of the sound i wonder if this would give you some elbow room to play around with the vocals/delay/verb????.........just wondering.

it's a very cool cool tune.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    cato54321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 10:05:00 (permalink)
    Very catchy tune,well written.I enjoyed this,love the guitar tones,the drums sound great,coming from a drummer i wouldnt change a thing.Mix sounded good, nothing comes out except maybe bringing the vocals around a bit,maybe this is how you intended it to sound,in that case keep up the great work.Definite pleasure to listen to!!!

SHS6,.. HP Compaq Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit 8gb ram ,M-Audio2496, Alesis Multimix 16 firewire,Sennheiser and Shure mic's,Mapex Mars Pro series,Ludwig drums,Jackson, Ibanez,Fender,Yamaha and Gibson guitars,Fender London 150,Peavey Mark 4&Line 6-SpiderII, and my fav Hayden Peacemaker 40 tube amp.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=684901
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 10:07:18 (permalink)
    Hey Doug,
    Good start to the groove...guitars sound a tad dark to me, meaning a lot of low mid as opposed to the top end.
    Nice mix on everything...like the synth part.
    Good solo sound and playing....kind of reminds me of the group "Head East" from a ways back.
    Overall, really good effort.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 10:16:55 (permalink)
    Drums intro -- astonishing and crisp. Beyond perfect, to my ears.

1st LT guitar (after drum intro) may need some crispness to match, I dunno! I can't detect transients (not enough attack and/or release time in the compression?).

Sweet Vox may need slightly more presence at 2 kHz q 1-ish and or compression with gain ... for clarity. I'd increase his level a dcbl in sections (chorus).

To be more 'bad and dirty' (if desireable), add high shelf air at 5kHz+ to the vox and/or other instruments, or increase/compress the highs on vox and/or instruments (other than those great drums!) ... just a tad.

The sine synth may deserve yet some more richness/saturation in sections, verb/or and thickening (wide-panned clone delays) ... I may be wrong.

On 2nd listen (later today):

This seriously Rocks! Did you do something, today? (Maybe I should listen twice more often before critting.) I don't think more presence is needed in the vox after-all. Maybe some tube-saturation to enrich its dominance (ever so slightly)! I love the verb-changes in the vox.

Maybe a abit HPF here and/or there would clear out some of the clouds in synths and guitar.

My only possible gripe:
    My ears still long to hear more guitar transients at the beginning.
    post edited by Philip - 2009/03/04 17:01:50

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 16:29:40 (permalink)
    This is a nice piece.
    Vocals are very nice as well as that drum kit you choose ( very nice sounding indeed! )
    Synths are well done! Mix is really good as well. Just not sure about the tone on the rhythm guitar, It works but probably wouldn't be my choice of settings, that's all.

Overall, very nice production here ... Tune is catchy and the leads are well expressed!
    Thanks for sharing this one!!!!

-TAP -

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 21:48:03 (permalink)
    WOW!...Long time no hear. This is a great song very well written and performed. This didn't have the classic Doug feel to it like your other songs. But to me that is what makes a great song writer. The mix really sounds full and uses the full stereo spectrum. I do agree with the other on the guitars. Just give them a bit more high end. On my rig they are sharing the same low end as the bass making the bass guitar get lost at times. GREAT job on the vox and harmonies, I like the less verb feel. I also agree this has to be one of your best sounding mixes. This is just a FANTASTIC song and another example why you are on my favorite artist list.

LATER
    Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2009/03/04 21:54:52

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 22:01:47 (permalink)
    Nicely mixed and played song. What is that patch on the synth lead?

One little crit would be to move the kit back just a hair (as ridiculous as that sounds coming from me!). For this genre, some instrument should be the prominent element. Not sure which is in this mix.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/04 22:07:42 (permalink)
    I like this... The performances are excellent, and the vocals really shine...
    Great mix too... Good work...
    Taylor_514C
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/05 07:24:54 (permalink)
    Bob Oister - Hi Bob - thank you very much for taking a listen and for your comments. For some reason, I knew I was going to use synths in this one early on, and I found what I was looking for in DimPro. Also, regarding KitCore, I think there is a demo available - it's a cool program. Thanks again

Stevethesearcher - Thanks Steve Yeah, the Matt Cameron kit I used here was fun to work with, since it sounds so good as is - it didn't really need much tweaking in the mix. Some GrooveMonkee fills helped alot as well! I agreed with you regarding the bass and guitars needing more separation, so I made some adjustments and put up a remix - thanks for taking the time to listen.

No How - Hey Rick, I agreed with you on the vox sounding dry, so I did some tweaking and the remix is up. Who would have believed I would use synths in a song? I'm still surprised myself. Thanks for lending your excellent ears

cato54321 - Thank you very much for the listen and for your comments Yeah, the vox didn't sound quite right to me so I did tweak the vox a bit in the latest remix. A drummer complimenting my midi drums - that makes my day Thanks again.
    post edited by Taylor_514C - 2009/03/05 07:25:26

Taylor_514CMy Music:

tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/05 07:49:08 (permalink)
    Doug,

Very cool rock tune with a cool Cars sounding keyboard part. I think the drums sound great and realistic as other have comment. I tend to agree with the others when it comes to the rhythm guitars. They seem a bit to dark. I'd remove a bit of the low-mid to mid eq. If you had to add apply a bit of a boost on the high end of those guitars. The lead guitar sounds wonderful. Don't mess with that!

The song felt like it begged for harmonies in the chorus. Of course, I'm all about adding harmonies, so take that with a grain of salt.

I know that another had suggested more reverb on the vocal, but I'm not certain. I do like the way the vocal lays in the mix now and applying more reverb may reduce the clarity you have in the vocal today.

A well-written and enjoyable to listen to creation. Great job.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/05 08:06:45 (permalink)
    The amp farm sounds good. This is the first time I can remember someone saying that is what they used.

Lots of good tone... The Steely Dan tone on the lead.... the ELP synth tone.... good job.

Crits... pretty much already been said.... brighten up the guitars.... add some verb to the vox...not much because I like it's outfront presence.... just give it some air.

Thumbs up!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    No How
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/05 09:43:24 (permalink)
    Doug,

It sounds great. Vox are a bit thicker and more present. Those synth lines are very rich. Nice colors!!!

s o n g s

Trist_Pat
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/05 10:01:09 (permalink)
    Nice tune.. takes me to the 80s for sure.

I agree with the references.. Head East & The Cars.. I'm going to suggest shades of Aldo Nova and Gary Numan as well.

Sometimes I am using headphones, but right now I'm listening to some cheapo computer speakers and it translates quite well.
    Excellent work.

Patrick Thompson - Bass/Vocals for The Trist, Sacramento, CA
    My Personal Soundclick Page
    The Trist Soundclick Page (my band)

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/05 16:28:21 (permalink)
    Doug I sure enjoyed this.
    My opinion on the sounds are pretty much what some have already said. the guitar could use a little high..brightening.
    Don't take this wrong..as I thought it was cool..when the synth came in it reminded me of one of the nerd movies...when they formed a band..the sound of it reminded of that.

Got the feeling you were holding back on the vocal part..could be a volume thing..I don't know.

But I liked it!
    Michael
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/05 16:58:25 (permalink)

i like it. im hearing the same thing as others on the guitar and
    bass subject. i done have so much a crite as a thought.

the drums sound very good. the low end on guitar is strong
    "rythem" that is. you may want it in there. cut the low mids
    on guitar? and leave some low end as well?

then cut low mids on bass? around one to three hundred herz?
    on bass and guitar?

i like the vocals too adding a touch of low mids on vocals
    that was taken from bass and guitar?

anyway nice yune

jimmy
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/05 17:15:51 (permalink)
    I like it, I may back off just a tad on the r-guit. And maybe brighten it a little. It seems to be competing with the bass a little to me.

**edit** Ha! Sorry didn't mean to beat a dead horse, I didn't read the others posts first, but it sounds like there are a lot of folks in agreement :-) Still in all, cool song though.
    post edited by robby - 2009/03/05 17:23:01

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Taylor_514C
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/06 09:31:05 (permalink)
    RLD - Thanks for stopping by Roger Yeah, I'll take a look at the rhythm guitars on the next remix, since pretty much everybody has mentioned it.

Philip - Always a pleasure to have you visit and comment - thank you very much. BTW, I'm going to integrate your suggestions into a remix (especially the guitar transients at the beginning), and you've given me some great ideas. Thanks again

Tap - Thank you very much Tap I'll look into the rhythm guitars, since that's the critique most have mentioned.

drumstixkev - Hey Kev! Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you liked the song. I'm still surprised I went to synths here, but it was lots of fun to do this one. Yeah, I'll see if I can clean up that guitars-bass in the low end of the mix.

jamesyoyo - Thanks James The synth patches (both from DimPro) on the chorus are 'Extreme Lead' up the middle and 'Exposed Saw' panned right. I agree with you on the kick, and yeah, there's a mix of different instruments coming and going in this one, but I'll probably stay with that here.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/06 12:14:54 (permalink)
    Big drums Doug! Love the synth! ELP sound. the r.... guitars are a litle 'dark' sounding to me (still works for me tho) Good lead tone. You have a distinctive voice/style, kinda moody/sullen that fits pefectly! I think I like this the best from you yet. I like the mix/instrumentation..ear candy man! Those little synth and subtle guitar bits that you have scattered are the sprinkles on the ice cream....

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    LanceJ
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/06 12:42:55 (permalink)
    Sounds good. I like the overall feel of the piece.

They synths are nice. It is reminiscent of the Cars.

Keep em' coming.

Lance

Keeping it simple

www.sonusproject.com
    Sonar X3d 64 bit , Exclusively using software synths & FX, D-Pro, Rapture, zt3a+2
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, GPO3, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, EastWest, Chris Hein Horns, Presonus FireStudio Project Audio Interface, Roland A80 Midi Controller, Tannoy 501A Monitors  

Win 7 Pro 64, I7-2600, 8GB DDR3, w/Firewire

gdugan
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1118
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/06 13:17:13 (permalink)
    Really like this, Doug! I do agree with the others about the rhythm guitars being a little dark, but still very good. Love the synth and the guitar solo is excellent. Fantastic drums! Your vocal is perfect on this. I do think Tom has a good point about some harmonies to add to an already excellent production. Very, very good.
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/07 01:58:25 (permalink)
    Another nice one Doug. Everything sounded great. Liked the instrumentation but the vocals were good as well. Very kool song with a great sound. Nice work. John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/07 13:07:20 (permalink)
    I'm going to be contrary and say I like that guitar tone, it's meaty, dense and well placed in the mix. Love the solo Doug, very tasty.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Venus
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/07 14:37:40 (permalink)
    I loved the synth. I'm kinda on the fence about the rhythm guitars. The tone is unique, but on the other hand, it could be a bit brighter. At the same time, making it brighter could interfere with your other tracks. This might be one to test out in the car. The song, itself, is good. I liked your "la la," which was a nice touch.

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
    Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
    The future is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/07 23:22:19 (permalink)
    I find the guitar a bit muddy.

I, of course, love the synth. Fat, fat, fat. Lovely sound. That hooked me and kept me waiting for the next time it came.

A bit more punch to the drums would not be unwelcome here, and some more projection in your voice.

Cheers
    Shad

edit -Oh yah... great song.
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/03/07 23:29:39

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    No How
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/09 09:59:35 (permalink)
    Took her for another spin.....What an incredibly cool tune!!!

2:39-2:55 is such a sweet little dynamic passage...

On this listen i thought the lead could come up a little but i am at work and these are not top of the line speakers

s o n g s

Taylor_514C
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/09 11:09:36 (permalink)
    notnat - Thanks for listening Frank, and I'm glad you liked it - I've become a fan of the VC-64 as I use it more and more.

tyacko - Hey Tom, thanks for stopping by and listening. I did think about harmonies on the chorus, but I was just looking to try something different from the last couple I've posted. Most have mentioned the rhythm guitars being too dark, so I'll look into that on the next remix.

Guitarhacker - Thanks Herb - I think PodFarm sounds great, and it's easy to use - I don't have to get up from my chair and plug in a real amp and all that I'll give a listen to the lead vocal again, maybe an eq boost around 7 or so.

No How - Thanks Rick - you know, finding the synth tones and playing them was the funnest part of the song.

Trist_Pat - Thanks Patrick - there's definitely a Cars vibe in this one, no doubt.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

Taylor_514C
    RE: No Reasons Why 2009/03/09 11:24:59 (permalink)
    spacey - Michael, I was trying to think of music from the nerds movies, but it wasn't coming to me - the song fits that era. Regarding the vocal, singing in the key of G is not a strength, more of a struggle. I may give it another go, since I just wrote the song about 6 weeks ago. Thanks for giving it a listen.

jimmyman - Jimmy, thanks for giving it a listen and commenting, and I like your mix suggestions, so I'll take another look there.

robby - Hey Robby, thanks for stopping by - I used the Kjaerhus 'classic' chorus fx on both guitars, and maybe just taking it off the RT one will solve the 'dark' issue.

lhansen - Best drums I've done to date, so I'm happy about that. Thanks for listening and for your comments. BTW, I played the new Breedlove Atlas guitars at GC yesterday - very nice for the money.

LanceJ - Thanks Lance, yeah, those synth tones made me think of the Cars as well, which is why I stuck with them - I figured, why not?

Taylor_514CMy Music:

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1