Helpful ReplyNobody is buying Cakewalk

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 18:32:40 (permalink)
anxiousmofo
Microsoft and NI are the only companies that could make it profitable.  NI could bake deep integration into NKS and their tools, and Microsoft could make it a Windows Garageband with additional, tiered professional versions.  MS would find a way to bake it into their cloud services and make it profitable.

Of the two, only NI sounds palatable.

Personally I hope Waves buys it. That's the only bloody chance I'll ever have of seeing a fix for my problem of Waves plugins losing their settings in Sonar. I'm currently working on a 80+ track, 20 minute project in which approximately half of the Waves EQ plugins I have on every track load with blank settings. I have to save presets for every track and load them each time I work on the project. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 18:37:55 (permalink)
They will sell the source code for Sonar, and it will happen this summer when Gibson files for bankrupcy.  Doesn't mean that Sonar will survive, it just means the IP that was Sonar will be sold off for pennies on what Gibson paid for it, to the highest bidder.  The most likely buyer would be either Steinberg, Microsoft or possibly Avid.  They're the only one's that would be interested.  Sonar would not be revived, what would happen is they would take the source code for certain things (i.e. Z3TA), and put it in their own product lines.  Or possibly Microsoft who is already working on their own DAW, could use the source code for doing thing like time stretching algorithms, etc.

And in answer to people's questions, no this will not go open source.  Gibson owns the source code, no they're not going to give it away, they will have to sell it off, to help pay off investors when the file for bankruptcy.  And yes it's still piracy to take the code and make it public.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
jackson white
  • Total Posts : 283
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 18:42:45 (permalink)
@space_cowboy

space_cowboy
I would like to organize a group to bid on Cakewalk, but if the talent all leaves, there is not much there except source code. 

I know of current parallels for something like this, all supported by a sufficiently talented, motivated and dedicated group of developers. 

space_cowboy
I have tried to guess at the revenues of Cakewalk.  I do not get a huge number.  I am guessing somewhere in the $5-20MM range.That guess is likely confirmed by the fact that Gibson must have tried to sell it and found no suitors.

Cakewalk does not appear to impact any part of the "global consumer electronics audio business" "growth strategy" statement issued by Gibson despite being relevant to the very aspect on which they base their claim of "world-recognized brands" (guitars). Business being business, have to believe the Cakewalk P&L was not panning out in spite of the one time bump from "lifetime" memberships. You'd think they'd be all over any positive cash flow given their financial status. 

space_cowboy
Then again, everything has its price.  

Maybe. Appears to be some turnover in their finance dept, so no telling what's going on there. Timing would be everything for both sides. 

But what do I know. I do not work for them. The challenge would be pulling together a workable business model. Leaner sounds tough given what we think we know about the current level of staffing. Might take quite a bit of re-setting expectations for any future user base. 

--------------------
Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 18:49:39 (permalink)
why would a company buy a pc only daw.. if it's got both mac as well. then yer, there is far more interest.

its cheaper maybe to build one from scratch.. or buy sonar.. cherry pick the code you want out.. then sell the IP / asset on to someone else.

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 18:57:00 (permalink)
 Sonar will eventually be sold and used again. It isn't over. Different maybe. Not over.I don't see it ever being over.

Fog- Microsoft. Meebe. Some feel it couldn't happen. If it ever happens Cakewalk would be the best answer. 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

smoddelm
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 19:03:58 (permalink)
space_cowboy
James
I am afraid you are right.  I would like to organize a group to bid on Cakewalk, but if the talent all leaves, there is not much there except source code.  Ditto on user base, tho that would be slower.  

It may be the case that taking a loss (which is probably small vis-a-vis Gibson's debt load) is more tax efficient.  

I have tried to guess at the revenues of Cakewalk.  I do not get a huge number.  I am guessing somewhere in the $5-20MM range.  And with a team of software developers, profits could not be huge.  That guess is likely confirmed by the fact that Gibson must have tried to sell it and found no suitors.

Then again, everything has its price.  

If they sold it for less than their basis - probably for very little give current circumstances - they would still get a tax loss.  Something doesn't have to be liquidated for $0 to generate a tax loss, it just has to be liquidated for less than your tax basis.
dorism
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 590
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 21:49:07 (permalink)
I think the main issues Cakewalk faced were
1) Stability and reliability of code
2) Focused on the wrong things IMHO - propriety stuff like pro channel (to lock you into the eco system) rather than improve core functions like audio quantising
3) The competition upped their game  big time!

Its such a shame. The only positive I can offer is there are brilliant DAWs out there to move to if you want to Studio One IMHO is probably the easiest jump for Sonar users but lacks core features (sysex etc, external CC etc).

Cubase Pro is the absolute bomb. You can even set up the keyboard short cuts like Sonar. I actually couldn't believe how good it was after using Sonar for 14 years. I cant think of anything it cant do and yet every year Steinberg come out with something which blows me away lol

www.thehadroncollider.co.uk
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 21:57:18 (permalink)
I'm sure most of us could be happy with Cubase Pro, especially those of us who hunger and thirst for a decent score editor.  What you will miss is a lively forum home. They just don't have it. I don't know why; maybe most cubase users are nerds or something. But their forum leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe that's not important, but I think that a lot of the grief people are feeling has to do with losing (eventually) this wonderful forum home, the best there is. I would suggest, even if you move to another DAW, stay with the new forum, Beyond Cakewalk that Bapu has set up. At least for awhile, until you've moved on from the grieving process.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 21:59:56 (permalink)
I agree with you James, however you have no crystal ball on whats going to happen.
but I still agree with you.

My opinion is Noel and Keith, Jon and possibly a few others get together and write a new code for a new DAW similar to Sonar. That seems like a likelier case than someone buying Cakewalk.
Noel wrote the code, no one never said he couldn't use portions of it to create a new daw. Im sure there are trademarks but who knows.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

dorism
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 590
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 22:01:03 (permalink)
I hope to see people on this forum on Cubase or Studio One. The community around Cakewalk was one of its greatest assets. Some amazing people on here.

www.thehadroncollider.co.uk
yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 22:03:17 (permalink)
The code is a work for hire and is owned by whoever owns Cakewalk which, until further notice, remains Gibson.

I would hope that, for their sakes, Noel, Keith, and all do not try to write another DAW, as the DAW market is hyper-saturated anyway.

And take it from someone who was a Sonar fanatic (and drooling fanboy) for 7 years before moving on - moving to Studio One seemed unimaginable before I did it. Not moving seemed unimaginable after.
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 22:15:15 (permalink)
I checked Studio One and have sorted it out.
In my case its a NoGo that you cann't apply effects from the effect bin (insert effects) to selected audioclips. And you cann't sent audio to an external waveeditor.
So my next check is Cubase. But at the moment there is no trial for the very new version 9.5
Until I have found a perfect DAW I will download a crack for SONAR - if the servers for authorization are down.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
gprokap
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 22:42:23 (permalink)
sharke

Personally I hope Waves buys it. That's the only bloody chance I'll ever have of seeing a fix for my problem of Waves plugins losing their settings in Sonar. I'm currently working on a 80+ track, 20 minute project in which approximately half of the Waves EQ plugins I have on every track load with blank settings. I have to save presets for every track and load them each time I work on the project. 

Oh **** no, not them.   I'd rather it go under than be owned by Waves.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 23:00:16 (permalink)
THambrecht
I checked Studio One and have sorted it out.
In my case its a NoGo that you cann't apply effects from the effect bin (insert effects) to selected audioclips. And you cann't sent audio to an external waveeditor.
So my next check is Cubase. But at the moment there is no trial for the very new version 9.5
Until I have found a perfect DAW I will download a crack for SONAR - if the servers for authorization are down.

As mentioned in the other thread

THambrecht

you cann't apply effects from the effect bin (insert effects) to selected audioclips.

Of course you can, look again

THambrecht

And you cann't sent audio to an external waveeditor like iZotope RX.

Users have simple workarounds for this (As a SONAR user you would be use to workarounds  ) Some just use a simple script. Go to the forums, seek and ye shall find.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

kapelle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 23:17:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FettsVett 2017/11/23 06:01:08
Starise
 Sonar will eventually be sold and used again. It isn't over.

Yes, it is definitely over, that's why I was up until 3:30am reading blogs about Sonar alternatives :) (FYI I'm looking at Mixcraft and Studio One.)

From what I've been learning here and elsewhere, Gibson is known to buy companies and kill them, so that gives us an insight into Sonar's fate.

Even if another company were to buy Sonar it might take months or years of negotiation.  In the meantime all Cakewalk employees will have found other jobs.

Gibson leaving servers up for authentication purposes is also nonsense - if they can so callously kill a company I sure won't hold my breath that my software will be authenticated when I need to install it on a new computer in... a year? Two? Six months? I'm jumping this sinking ship ASAP and I've used Sonar exclusively for literally 25 years. I still have floppies!
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/22 23:58:38 (permalink)
AKG employees bought themselves  , why not bakers ? will help as many others around ...

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Ron Kuper
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 00:37:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mister happy 2017/11/23 00:39:13
Having lived in that code for 12 years, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it *can* be open sourced. Have you tried to download or build Webkit or AOSP? Cakewalk's code is tiny compared to those monsters!
GjB
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 01:31:49 (permalink)
I hope I don't see a fat lady singing today.

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
gprokap
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 01:50:03 (permalink)
Thinking about it Microsoft is the only hope.   Who else would buy a product that ONLY runs on Windows when so many music producers are still tied to Macs?
StarTekh
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2007
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 01:58:51 (permalink)
I was offered platinum fully updated for $ 20.00 !.. whats that tell you ?
wmountney
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 02:13:04 (permalink)
Ron Kuper
Having lived in that code for 12 years, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it *can* be open sourced. Have you tried to download or build Webkit or AOSP? Cakewalk's code is tiny compared to those monsters!

Ron!  Good to see you here again.   Somehow seeing you here posting regarding this situation makes me feel just an extra bit more hopeful that there ultimately will be some happy outcome to this situation, although you haven't been with Cakewalk for a number of years, and even if you still were, you would have no more control over the situation than anyone else who is there.  Still, the extra ray of hope feels good even if it's really coming from my own wishful thinking.

Bill Mountney
wmountney
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 02:25:19 (permalink)
gprokap
Thinking about it Microsoft is the only hope.   Who else would buy a product that ONLY runs on Windows when so many music producers are still tied to Macs?

Although there could be some good points of Microsoft buying Cakewalk, the problem I see is that Microsoft traditionally doesn't know how to deal with a niche product -- and by niche in this case I mean the whole product category of professional audio and DAWs in general, not SONAR specifically.   They are used to having products that dominate their space, and when something doesn't do that they end up giving up on it -- like with their previous forays into business accounting software and personal financial management to try to complete with QuickBooks and Quicken.  They couldn't beat QuickBooks and Quicken, so they gave up.  Even the best selling DAW in the industry would probably not sell enough copies for Microsoft to be happy.

They could go the Garage Band route, and sell lots of copies of a lower end version, which would be OK as long as they still maintained a professional version of SONAR.  And if they were to just buy Cakewalk to tear the technology out of the code and use it in their own product, that wouldn't do us any good unless it was capable of opening or converting SONAR projects, which would also be possible since they'd have all the code for that too, and it would be a good idea to get an instant user base for their new product.

I think it's a long shot, but since Microsoft has previously announced their intention to create their own DAW, and since they have often used acquisitions as the base for new products, it's definitely a possibility.

Bill Mountney
KODA JYNX
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 02:26:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FettsVett 2017/11/23 06:04:10
Makes me glad that I never upgraded from X1, and it is safely on a computer with very few hours on it, and it NEVER sees the Internet.....just so that I never had to worry about any "bugs" getting into it.
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 02:49:43 (permalink)
anxiousmofo
Gibson is fabulously inept.  I wouldn't be surprised if they barely shopped Cakewalk, or have been forced to hold the assets to pay off creditors for a pending bankruptcy.

I doubt that, just as I doubt that Roland was also inept.  The issue is that there are at least a dozen really strong DAWs at all price points, plus another dozen or more that are second tier products.  No matter how good SONAR was, it just couldn't get traction/mindshare.

A big reason for that is that much of the value proposition for DAW-based production is actually in the plug-ins, not in the basic DAW.  The Cakewalk plug-ins were pretty good - some very good.  But serious users migrated to companies like Waves, Izotope et al for their key plug-ins, making the DAW less of an issue.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
looneymusic
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 05:58:45 (permalink)
azslow3

For an obvious example, look in your Sonar folder... you will see iZotope_Radius library. Not only this library itself is not a property of CW, but any code which use it (so expose the API) can not be published.

That .dll is plugin related... Not "mission critical" to make or keep Sonar running. Simply remove + replace with a free or open source alternative... 
Blanton
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 06:10:53 (permalink)
Lifetime Updates payed The creditors.Peace
denverdrummer
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 06:17:40 (permalink)
The moment they announced #Sonar4Life, #Sonar4Mac, I knew it was over.  The whole thing just seemed desperate, and I had just updated to Platinum a few months earlier and they were already asking me for more money?  I knew the Mac version would never fly.  They lost market share with Windows users, how on earth were they going to gain Mac users?

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
P-Theory
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 08:24:46 (permalink)
GjB
I hope I don't see a fat lady singing today.

Can’t you hear her? She’s wabbering at the top of her lungs 😂
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 08:26:51 (permalink)
She has already sung and is coming back for an encore for those who missed, but she has most certainly sung.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Nobody is buying Cakewalk 2017/11/23 09:20:06 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
She has already sung and is coming back for an encore for those who missed, but she has most certainly sung.

Is that you Mike McCue? Oh! never mind. Just you seem very familiar.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1