Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here....

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Katie_Katie
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 557
2011/01/28 09:28:12 (permalink)

Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here....

Noel, Seth and Brandon:
While “lurking” this forum with my morning coffee, I noted the number of post by you.  Impressive. 

I have exhibited both apologist and critic traits in my previous posts – In one of my previous posted I stated that if Cakewalk did not take note of the information provided in this forum then I would consider them managerially inept.  You have obviously countered that statement.

Today I am just frustrated.  So this is a frustration post. 

But before I get to that, I want to thank you for being here, meaning that you take the time to read and post interesting and helpful information.  I also noted that you both have posted assertive replies when needed (my opinion) to some seemingly inane accusations, titles and posts. 
I don’t recall many user forums where the management actually posts.  They open themselves up to a lot of aggravation – and they know that going in.  It takes some mettle to do that.  Bravo.

Ok, the frustration part of my post.
I also noted, while lurking, the numerous inferences to items in the next patch such as , “That is in X1b”, or “Well, I talked to xyz and they said it is in the next patch”, and other similar inclusion statements for the next release.

So, here is my request based on my frustration.

Are you open to providing a list of fixes planned for X1b?  
or
Are you open to providing a list of known problems?   

It’s that simple – just a list.  I would be much less frustrated to know that whatever glitch or non-function I encounter is being addressed or known.  Yes, I could go through the multitude of posts and cull some of the things, but not as easily as you nor as accurate. 

Perhaps it is a corporate no-no for you to do so.  If that is the case, well, I’ll just deal with that.  But, at least I asked.
Thanks for your time.
post edited by Katie_Katie - 2011/01/28 09:38:59

Katherine  

122 Replies Related Threads

listen
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 10:44:36 (permalink)
    Katie_Katie

Noel, Seth and Brandon:
    While “lurking” this forum with my morning coffee, I noted the number of post by you.  Impressive. 

I have exhibited both apologist and critic traits in my previous posts – In one of my previous posted I stated that if Cakewalk did not take note of the information provided in this forum then I would consider them managerially inept.  You have obviously countered that statement.

Today I am just frustrated.  So this is a frustration post. 

But before I get to that, I want to thank you for being here, meaning that you take the time to read and post interesting and helpful information.  I also noted that you both have posted assertive replies when needed (my opinion) to some seemingly inane accusations, titles and posts. 
    I don’t recall many user forums where the management actually posts.  They open themselves up to a lot of aggravation – and they know that going in.  It takes some mettle to do that.  Bravo.

Ok, the frustration part of my post.
    I also noted, while lurking, the numerous inferences to items in the next patch such as , “That is in X1b”, or “Well, I talked to xyz and they said it is in the next patch”, and other similar inclusion statements for the next release.

So, here is my request based on my frustration.

Are you open to providing a list of fixes planned for X1b?  
    or
    Are you open to providing a list of known problems?   

It’s that simple – just a list.  I would be much less frustrated to know that whatever glitch or non-function I encounter is being addressed or known.  Yes, I could go through the multitude of posts and cull some of the things, but not as easily as you nor as accurate. 

Perhaps it is a corporate no-no for you to do so.  If that is the case, well, I’ll just deal with that.  But, at least I asked.
    Thanks for your time.

Cool  inquiry and tastefully presented

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    Grumbleweed_
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 10:48:10 (permalink)
    I can't see this happening at all.  
    If they declare all that is wrong at the moment then the "Cakewalk sold us a pup" threads will start (again) and if they state a problem will be patched, and it isn't, then all hell will break loose. 

Grum.

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
    Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
    Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
    Guitarmech111
    Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5085
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 10:58:32 (permalink)
    yeah, that bug/issue request is a NIYL moment.

X1 should have had more time to breathe before putting all of the features in production. There should have been 2 major releases with a discount on the upgrade to deal with the issues as a public beta tester. I trusted that X1 would work as well as 8.5, but I feel I got burned... Demos should be released before the main product. That would have made me feel a lot better about my decision to purchase the X1 upgrade. 

I would rather see some fixes for 8.5 and an effort on Roland's part to setup some tracing help to determine the issues. Most of our PCs are fast anough to cary a few more cycles of the CPU for tracing code.

Peace,
    Conley Shepherd
    Joyful Noise Productions
    PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
    Katie_Katie
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 11:20:14 (permalink)
    "yeah, that bug/issue request is a NIYL moment."

[laugh]

Yeah, you may be correct in that my request is a bit blue sky.

However, some feedback would be interesting.  For instance. My company use SMAART and as good as that product is, it has issues.  They have a developers blog.  It is not updated that frequently but it does give some insight to the things that are being addressed.  Feedback is a good thing.  Especially where I don't have to read/review and cull the information from hundred of posts.
    post edited by Katie_Katie - 2011/01/28 11:41:06

Katherine  

pbognar
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 11:22:02 (permalink)
    I'm in the same boat, however, I'm a musician, not a studio owner.
    I wouldn't expect to hear any details on X1b prior to it's release, however, Seth did mention in a thread that there are "fixes" and "enhancements".
    Personally, I'm at 8.5.3 and have not yet upgraded to X1, and will not, until I hear how things are in X1b.
    In my mind, X1 doesn't exist for me until after X1b is released late Feb, or early March.
    If I ran a studio and was running 8.5.3, I would have planned on waiting 4 - 6 months after X1 became stable before employing it to make a living.  I don't mean any disrespect, but I've read comments by other serious studio people using all different DAWs including Sonar, PT, Logic, Cubase, etc. who rarely jump on the latest upgrade of whatever software they are using until they have down time, and they are comfortable that the new release is stable.
    MHO.

post edited by pbognar - 2011/01/28 11:23:54
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 11:32:30 (permalink)
    The items that are corrected generally come in the readme file with each version that Cakewalk publishes. They have never published a bug list. I certainly wouldn't given that the competitors are sure to use this against them.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 11:48:41 (permalink)
    i'm guessing the buglist  or list of what is addressed will be ni the read me files wen you d/l X1b.

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    Katie_Katie
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 11:53:05 (permalink)
    Middleman

"...They have never published a bug list. I certainly wouldn't given that the competitors are sure to use this against them."
    Ok.  I can understand that.  This post has been on the board for over 2 hours.  They have posted in other threads during that time and I will assume they have read this one.  At least they could reply with a "No". 

Or they could write, "Katherine, we reject your concept of reality and substitute our own".  Or another type of rejection notice.  

I can take it...I'm a mom 
    post edited by Katie_Katie - 2011/01/28 11:54:16

Katherine  

vespesian
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 517
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 12:41:08 (permalink)
    How about a "known issues" list as a sticky, in the forum, instead of using the b-word. Fxpansion does it. Helps to assure the customer that management 'gets' it.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

rainmaker1011
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 652
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 13:11:49 (permalink)
    maybe we, the community, could create and maintain our own list of known-bugs. on a separate web page.

one simple DB and UI for inserting and editing states of the bugs.

and the outcome would be one table showing all the reported bugs to CW with corresponding CWRBN, date of submitting, current status and a stats showing how many users could reproduce the issue or not. 

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
      DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
    Guitarmech111
    Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5085
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 14:00:09 (permalink)
    vespesian

How about a "known issues" list as a sticky, in the forum, instead of using the b-word. Fxpansion does it. Helps to assure the customer that management 'gets' it.

Excellent suggestion - could provide workarounds too if any exist.

Peace,
    Conley Shepherd
    Joyful Noise Productions
    PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 14:03:45 (permalink)
    agreed, great idea.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 14:44:19 (permalink)

UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 14:47:06 (permalink)
    Katie_Katie

"yeah, that bug/issue request is a NIYL moment."

[laugh]

Yeah, you may be correct in that my request is a bit blue sky.

Not really. The competition does it. Here is an example of an unsolved issue:

http://avid.custkb.com/av...=1078&Hilite=audio

And here is an example of one that is solved:

http://avid.custkb.com/av...olved+in+coming+update

UnderTow

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 14:50:47 (permalink)
    i too was very impressed to see brandon a few noghts earlier an seth and noel yesterday.as far as us compiling a list tell me where to go and im there
    Zyler Vega [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 14:57:54 (permalink)
    Hi Katie (and everyone!),

First let me introduce myself:  My name is Zyler and I'm the Product Manager for X1b.
    I also worked on X1 and the X1a patch.

Thanks for your post - I understand that you and many other users are anxiously awaiting the next patch and I want you to understand that some of us are definitely listening (well, reading) and have been hard at work on X1b.

In many ways SONAR X1 was a major upgrade from 8.5 and with it came new issues.  The X1a patch addressed many of these issues as soon as possible, but with X1b we have had the time to listen to our customers - from these forums, problem reports, Customer and Technical Support calls, distributors, etc.  We want every type of user to have a good experience with SONAR and ultimately find themselves able to make music without roadblocks.

I'll soon be starting a new thread for X1b information, but in the meanwhile I can say that we have been spending a lot of time on things like AudioSnap, Snap Settings, V-Vocal, Surround Sound, Console View Narrow Strips, and many smaller or unrelated issues.

I hope this helps!
    And keep an eye on the stickies section of the forum, that’s where I’ll drop the X1b thread.

Best,
    -z

Zyler Vega 
    Quality Assurance Engineer

DSP Beta Administrator 
    Cakewalk, Inc.

Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 15:02:28 (permalink)
    Cakewalk has always provided a list of the fixes, but the list was for the items that they fixed!  It wouldn't make sense to list an item to be fixed and the fix didn't make it to production because of a dealy or something.  

How about letting them fix the bugs and release whatever update they have when FEB/March Xb release is due.  

OH by the way, in case you didn't know, The realease date is for Xb is FEB/ March  so relax and be patient.  You can always use X1 in its current state or if you have an ealier version, go back to Sonar 8.53 or earlier until X1 (Xb) is ready.

I went back to Sonar 8.53 and all is fine.  When Xb is released, I will go back to Sonar X1 and beging working with it again.

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 15:04:01 (permalink)
    Thanks Zyler.

I've been enjoying your avatar.

Is that laptop your primary instrument?

:-)

It's a great photo on many different levels. Color, composition, thematic content etc.

best regards,
    mike

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 15:05:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update (pun intended), Zyler.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Zyler Vega [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 15:14:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike (:

It's something I hacked together - that's not me in the pic, but I do occasionally play out using a laptop (maybe not with that much crowd enthusiasm ;).

I grab 2-4 source images and do hue shifts, overlays, and other simple edits to make a composite for avatars and such.  My current one is just two images (detroit + laptop performer). 

Zyler Vega 
    Quality Assurance Engineer

DSP Beta Administrator 
    Cakewalk, Inc.

ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 15:23:11 (permalink)
    Zyler Vega [Cakewalk
    ]

First let me introduce myself:  My name is Zyler and I'm the Product Manager for X1b.

Thanks for your post - I understand that you and many other users are anxiously awaiting the next patch and I want you to understand that some of us are definitely listening (well, reading) and have been hard at work on X1b.

In many ways SONAR X1 was a major upgrade from 8.5 and with it came new issues.  The X1a patch addressed many of these issues as soon as possible, but with X1b we have had the time to listen to our customers - from these forums, problem reports, Customer and Technical Support calls, distributors, etc.  We want every type of user to have a good experience with SONAR and ultimately find themselves able to make music without roadblocks.

I'll soon be starting a new thread for X1b information, but in the meanwhile I can say that we have been spending a lot of time on things like AudioSnap, Snap Settings, V-Vocal, Surround Sound, Console View Narrow Strips, and many smaller or unrelated issues.

I hope this helps!
    And keep an eye on the stickies section of the forum, that’s where I’ll drop the X1b thread.

Best,
    -z

Zyler,

THANK You for this Information!

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 15:26:47 (permalink)
    Zyler,

THANK You for this Information!

+1. It's good to know that CW are listening. A bit like being in trouble, but knowing help is on the way.
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 15:33:25 (permalink)
    Zyler Vega [Cakewalk
    ]

I hope this helps!

Best,
    -z

CAn you add making copy/paste more straight forward with less steps?
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 15:44:49 (permalink)
    CAn you add making copy/paste more straight forward with less steps?

Not trying to get this thread OT but I've seen you comment before on cut/copy/paste and this is a genuine question. What do you find complicated about it? I simply highlight the area/clip(s) I want, cut/copy and then put the now time where I want it and paste. It works everytime for me.
    Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 16:13:37 (permalink)
    Great thread!

I just want to repeat what I've said in earlier thread. It would be great to have a tabular list of known bugs, ideally a roadmap for when they get fixed (but I do understand sometimes fixes get left out for good reasons).... not just a list of bugs that will be fixed for 1b.

I disagree about what people say about hiding known issues away (for internal use only).... it actually works in quite the reverse way.

a) People will have nothing to complain about when it comes to an outstanding bug, if they do you simply refer them to the "x outstanding bug" which will be fixed in "y release". The conversation goes pretty quiet after that. At some stage the bug will have to be admitted anyway best get it out the way quickly.

b) People will be contacting Cakewalk support less if they know an issue is "known". If support end up twiddling their thumbs (unlikely) they can get to help out QA.

c) Anybody who thinks a competitors product is less buggy is probably mistaken. Regardless it's difficult to measure.

d) Everybody knows there are always bugs in software, it's not a trade secret.

e) The more open things are, the happier things will be, the more commited a customer will be with a brand.

f) People should understand there is always limited resources in software development. In the end the discussion of fixing bugs should be more like a game of top trumps, rather than a game of who moans the longest.

Anyway thanks for listening.
    post edited by CakeAlexS - 2011/01/28 16:15:52

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    PeterMc
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 16:20:34 (permalink)
    There needs to be a way to filter out "user error" or RTFM problems. I think this would require intervention by Cake, rather than a user-driven model. Firefox seem to do it pretty well.

Cheers, Peter.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

listen
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 16:30:44 (permalink)
    pbognar

I'm in the same boat, however, I'm a musician, not a studio owner.
    I wouldn't expect to hear any details on X1b prior to it's release, however, Seth did mention in a thread that there are "fixes" and "enhancements".
    Personally, I'm at 8.5.3 and have not yet upgraded to X1, and will not, until I hear how things are in X1b.
    In my mind, X1 doesn't exist for me until after X1b is released late Feb, or early March.
    If I ran a studio and was running 8.5.3, I would have planned on waiting 4 - 6 months after X1 became stable before employing it to make a living.  I don't mean any disrespect, but I've read comments by other serious studio people using all different DAWs including Sonar, PT, Logic, Cubase, etc. who rarely jump on the latest upgrade of whatever software they are using until they have down time, and they are comfortable that the new release is stable.
    MHO.

Many got caught up in the hype (myself included) of the next big improved thing wanting to be the first to have it and using it.  We should have learned from experience not just from X1 - but with many of the musical tools that we use...

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 16:41:07 (permalink)
    Katie,

As Zyler mentioned above, once X1b is ready we'll have a full list of what was fixed. In the meantime we'll mention larger areas we've spent time on, but until the patch is baked we can't get too specific in what has been fixed.

Katie_Katie
    Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/28 17:30:18 (permalink)
    ".... In the meantime we'll mention larger areas we've spent time on..."

Wonderful.

Thank you Seth (et.al.)

Katherine  

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1