Helpful ReplyOK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/20 17:54:34 (permalink)
kzmaier
I know its spilled milk...

Marketing - Get 3 Big name producers and 3 Big name artists and a Bunch of youtube videos showing these Big names showing off the Sonar qualities, and bingo Bob's your uncle.  Getting the Big names would take some work but could be done.

The 3 B's!!!

It's too late...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/20 18:22:18 (permalink)
kzmaier
I know its spilled milk...

Marketing - Get 3 Big name producers and 3 Big name artists and a Bunch of youtube videos showing these Big names showing off the Sonar qualities, and bingo Bob's your uncle.  Getting the Big names would take some work but could be done.

The 3 B's!!!

It wouldn't just take "some work," It would take actually getting a big name producer to use Sonar instead of Pro Tools or logic or whatever they're using currently. Other DAW's have their fans among big name producers. Unfortunately, Sonar didn't. Not a lot they could have done about that. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/20 22:23:02 (permalink)
Sonar and the user base are a bit long in the tooth for a comeback. The fact that they have sat and not said a word is driving the nails into the coffin. The die-hard user base was Sonars biggest asset and now it's gone. If it was resurrected how many of us would drop the new DAW and go back. I've only now come to realise just how good the competition is and since I'm a lifer, I'll not send them another nickel.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
rbrodbec
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/21 00:50:07 (permalink)
I just found out last night that Sonar went belly up, I was indeed shocked.  I have been dorking around with Cakewalk products since the 80's I think and the DOS midi sequencer.  I am still in mourning but just signed up for that half off Studio One deal, I like presonus products so hey why not I'm a recording neophyte, more obsessed with gear and software and building DAW's and such, it's a total hobby.

Time to let go, get some new toys.  I want to thank the Cakewalk team, I thought you guys were awesome!  Gibson can lick my dupa.  Goodbye to the cakewalk forums, I usually lurked, picked up tidbits of wisdom, left the rest and went about my merry.

Good luck to you all!!!  Hopefully the Cakewalk team will rise from the ashes somewhere, somehow!
sharke
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/21 01:50:02 (permalink)
Re: getting big name producers to endorse Sonar. I don't think they would have even needed to get big names per se - a bunch of endorsements and writeups from small name pros would have done. Just look at the roster of artists singing the praises of Bitwig on their site. For such a relatively new DAW, it's quite a collection. Granted they're mostly electronic artists you've probably never heard of, but the market Bitwig are going for will find many familiar names here. A page like this is great marketing and is likely responsible for pulling a lot of undecided people off the fence. I think Sonar had the occasional endorsement on its site at one time or another, but there was always the feeling of "yeah? And who else?" 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/21 03:33:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Karyn 2017/12/21 08:59:37
I wonder , did it ever occur to the OP that The Staff at Cakewalk may have been blind sided so hard when Gibson dropped the hammer on them that the good folks still left working at Cakewalk may or may not have even gotten a workable plan as of yet ? 
Could it at all be possible that they are still working hard on making good on their intentions ?
You know , stuff like allowing the forum to still run while they figure out a way to give SONAR users an unlock key for the products they have purchased ...

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

ampfixer
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/21 22:12:50 (permalink)
No Kenny, that never occurred to me. Any company that requires server access to make their product run should have a plan to continue business in the event they stop working. I don't see this as being any different. Would a pilot tell passengers that he just shut off the engines and follow up by saying, "hey don't worry, we're really high in the air and the plane will glide for quite some time. Please bear with us during this time of transition."

Ya, let's chill while the pilot sorts it out.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
kennywtelejazz
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/21 23:25:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby anydmusic 2017/12/22 10:20:06
With all due respect John  , have you thought about giving it a rest ?
Just because you are not hearing what you want to hear today doesn't mean the answer will not come .

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/22 10:19:52 (permalink)
rbrodbec
I just found out last night that Sonar went belly up, I was indeed shocked.  I have been dorking around with Cakewalk products since the 80's I think and the DOS midi sequencer.  I am still in mourning but just signed up for that half off Studio One deal, I like presonus products so hey why not I'm a recording neophyte, more obsessed with gear and software and building DAW's and such, it's a total hobby.

Time to let go, get some new toys.  I want to thank the Cakewalk team, I thought you guys were awesome!  Gibson can lick my dupa.  Goodbye to the cakewalk forums, I usually lurked, picked up tidbits of wisdom, left the rest and went about my merry.

Good luck to you all!!!  Hopefully the Cakewalk team will rise from the ashes somewhere, somehow!

Agree that big names are not necessary, looking around YouTube, with Cubase as the example, there are so many review, opinion and tutorial videos of various quality even some by people that I have heard of and what really stands out is that this is a popular active program. Even the Cubase bashers add to the perception that Cubase is alive and well. 

In comparison Sonar seems invisible.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/22 15:32:06 (permalink)
anydmusic
rbrodbec

Agree that big names are not necessary, looking around YouTube, with Cubase as the example, there are so many review, opinion and tutorial videos of various quality even some by people that I have heard of and what really stands out is that this is a popular active program. Even the Cubase bashers add to the perception that Cubase is alive and well. 

You guys are missing the point.  They lacked marketing.

If I was doing it ... I would get big names and little names and no names and youtube the lot.  Look how guitar effects pedal guys do it.

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/22 15:37:57 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
I wonder , did it ever occur to the OP that The Staff at Cakewalk may have been blind sided so hard when Gibson dropped the hammer on them that the good folks still left working at Cakewalk may or may not have even gotten a workable plan as of yet ? 
Could it at all be possible that they are still working hard on making good on their intentions ?
You know , stuff like allowing the forum to still run while they figure out a way to give SONAR users an unlock key for the products they have purchased ...

Kenny

I agree, the OP could change the thread to Gibson staff.

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

sharke
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/22 18:47:01 (permalink)
kzmaier
anydmusic
rbrodbec

You guys are missing the point.  They lacked marketing.

If I was doing it ... I would get big names and little names and no names and youtube the lot.  Look how guitar effects pedal guys do it.

I think a lot more could have been done to get Sonar-using pros to make endorsements on their site. They don't have to be world famous, I'm thinking along the lines of people like Danny Danzi (I don't know if he would have ever agreed to it - just citing him as an example) - working professionals and artists with a good reputation. Jerry Gerber, people like that. There have been quite a few regulars on this forum who would have qualified. 

Of course it would have been a lot harder to find household names in the audio world to endorse Sonar, mainly because you'd be hard pressed to find one. It's somewhat of a catch 22 situation. Hardly any big names use it because its user base is so small and "big names" are always going to be a fraction of a percentage of any user base, but a large part of why its user base is so small is because it's never had the "street cred" that other DAWs get from big names using them. 

James
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/22 20:00:58 (permalink)
No BECAN = pain.

You have heard my pain, John.
ampfixer
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/22 20:43:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/23 03:41:31
As per my pal Kenny I'm officially in Merry Christmas, give it a rest mode.

Regards, John 
bapu
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/22 21:37:37 (permalink)
Merry Christmas John.
ampfixer
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/23 16:48:59 (permalink)
Merry Christmas Ed, merry Christmas Kenny, merry Christmas Cakewalk.

God bless us, everyone. 

Regards, John 
bapu
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/23 16:49:59 (permalink)

sharke
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/23 16:58:11 (permalink)
bapu

I got a lot of problems with you people and now you're gonna hear about it!

James
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/23 18:21:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/12/24 01:34:46
If you look really close there's a Gibson logo on the tip of that Festivus pole.....

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/24 01:12:47 (permalink)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
kennywtelejazz
Re: OK Cakewalk, time to hear your plan 2017/12/24 03:26:10 (permalink)
ampfixer
Merry Christmas Duke, merry Christmas Kenny, merry Christmas Cakewalk.

God bless us, everyone. 

Merry Christmas back out to you John from me and Duke

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1