OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SystemF
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
2010/06/14 00:06:57 (permalink)

OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows.

Hey people. This one is and isn't related to Sonar in some ways. But i thought i would ask anyways.
On my PC, i get noise coming out of my monitors, like a static, swooshy kind of sound. It happens when for example i grab a window and drag it around the screen. In sonar for example if i grab the synth rack and move it around, i get this noise. Hard to explain how it sounds like. It also happens when the screen saver kicks in on the system. Occasionally it happens when i simply move the mouse pointer around the screen.
However, this also happens in other DAW's as well. 
Due to the fact that its happening only during something graphically happening on screen, could this have something to do with the graphics card perhaps?  Using the same setup, with same FW interface, i don't get any noise at all on my mac. Only the PC.
Anybody else noticed this ??

PC: Sonar X1 Producer/Ableton 8.1.4/Cubase 6, Focusrite Saffire Pro24, Korg M3, KRK Rokit 6. Plenty of amps and guitars...

35 Replies Related Threads

bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 00:47:00 (permalink)
    It's probably something to do with your video card. Notice how the noise occurs only when there's something moving on the screen. Try different settings for redraw frequency and see if that makes any difference.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 08:47:51 (permalink)
    Is Aero on? If not be sure it is.

Best
    John
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 09:45:48 (permalink)
    I had the same problem a long long time ago. So long ago in fact that I am having diffculty in trying to remember what ultimately fixed it. I tried everything I could think of. I'm sure I must have replaced the video card and monitor along with tearing the figgin PC apart and rebuilding it. For some odd reason, I am thinking that replacing the mouse was the cure. Which was like one of the last acts of desperation. This is how I remember it. If you find no other obvious solution, try a new mouse. Good luck.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 09:47:52 (permalink)
    Is the noise coming through your PreSonus Firebox or the built-in sound chip on the motherboard? 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 14:04:45 (permalink)
    I had the same problem a long long time ago. So long ago in fact that I am having diffculty in trying to remember what ultimately fixed it. I tried everything I could think of.

So did I, but it was pretty obvious in my case - one USB port was sharing an IRQ with my PCI interface, and my mouse was on that port. Moving my mouse to another port (and disabling the first one for good measure) fixed the zipper-noise.

I still get the odd audio glitch when minimizing/maximizing windows during playback under high CPU load, but that doesn't really cause me much grief.

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 14:10:26 (permalink)
    I used to get zipper noise when I used my mouse scroll wheel.  But, like Kriz, that was a long time ago.  Doesn't seem to crop up anymore.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 14:18:18 (permalink)
    I get a noise, I call it "digital whine."  Only my laptop, which is all I use now for recording.  I've adapted to just having it always going - BUT it's only when I have Sonar open.

I use an Alesis iO|2 interface.  I read somewhere online that it means there's a "mismatch" between the app and the card - but I don't know what that's really supposed to mean.

To minimize it, I keep the amp volume down lower than I'd like, and keep my interface's volume up.  The whine is constant no matter what level the card is at.

Mouse, in my case, is unrelated, as per tests I've made.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    derFunkenstein
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 735
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 14:54:46 (permalink)
    I had the zipper noise as recently as a month or so ago. I got rid of it by switching from an AMD video card to an nVidia one. 

King Ben of Nopantsville
    rbowser
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 15:31:55 (permalink)
    Hi, derFunkenstein - Maybe I need to look at my video card settings more?  Nvidia is what I have - it's a laptop, so it's probably gonna stay there too!  lol - I just thought that with an interface I'd have better sound, but I don't - that digital whine is pretty annoying.  I've tried to live with it almost 2 years now.

EDIT:  Nah, I checked, the Nvidia control panel is all for video settings, nothing to do with audio. 

Randy B.
    post edited by rbowser - 2010/06/14 15:34:37

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    SystemF
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 16:40:53 (permalink)
    Hey peoples. Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
    Last night i completely ripped the PC apart and rebuilt it, in order to attempt and isolate this noise. And... it came back. It isnt the mouse, since it mostly happens when some video rendering happens, such as moving stuff around screen, screen saver kicks in. I also loaded up a game (WoW), and the noise increased tenfold. Which makes me believe, strongly it is the video card. 
    I messed around with settings etc, but with no changes. I have no other video card to try, and my motherboard does not have onboard video so, can't try that. 
    I'm overdue for a new i5/i7 system fairly soon, so, hopefully a new video card will fix the issue.

To Daveny: Yes it comes only through the firebox FW interface and i can hear it through my KRK monitors and/or the headphones connected to it.

PC: Sonar X1 Producer/Ableton 8.1.4/Cubase 6, Focusrite Saffire Pro24, Korg M3, KRK Rokit 6. Plenty of amps and guitars...
    retired_account
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 17:07:52 (permalink)
    Does it stop if you disengage the engine button in Sonar?
    derFunkenstein
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 735
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 18:31:38 (permalink)
    rbowser, your constant "whine" issue isn't the same as what's being described in the OP, I don't think.  Sounds like yours is an always-on thing while Sonar is running, where what we're talking about only happens in quick-moving soft "pops" as you scroll in a webapge or something like that, and for me at least they were omnipresent (i.e. with and without Sonar running).  Somwhere on this forum I read that the solution was getting an nVidia card.  And sure enough that issue went away.  Not sure if I can come up with anything to help you though.  :-/
    post edited by derFunkenstein - 2010/06/14 18:32:40

King Ben of Nopantsville
    VariousArtist
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1397
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 20:06:42 (permalink)
    SystemF

I build my own PCs and I was able to both produce and get rid of the noise you describe by swapping my PCI cards around on the motherboard.  In my case the Sound Card (PCI) was sharing resources with other cards (not directly or as obvious as having the the same IRQ, but rather the busses they used).  

This was a while back (several years) so I'm not sure if this is still relevant as I've not had to deal with these issues for some time now.  Given that you are on Win7-64 you probably have an up to date system.  Still, if you are able to move your external or add-on devices around then try that.  Maybe start with removing as many peripherals as you can until the noise is gone, and introduce them back one at a time.  If the noise returns, choose a different slot, input etc. -- or replace that device or update its driver.

Good luck.  I'm sure it's infuriating but hopefully there's an answer somewhere that you can get to...

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 20:15:50 (permalink)
    Check out this thread...see if it helps in any way...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1698762&mpage=1&key=?

or

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=1751941&mpage=1#1752276
    post edited by montezuma - 2010/06/14 20:17:12
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 20:28:42 (permalink)
     Randy, are you sure you don't have a ground loop problem? 2Yrs? Man, that would have drove me nuts!!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    rbowser
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 20:35:30 (permalink)
    Grem

Randy, are you sure you don't have a ground loop problem? 2Yrs? Man, that would have drove me nuts!!!

I know, it was a problem from day one with the laptop.  Using the built in card the day I got the computer, I had digital whine on my speakers, didn't worry about it because my new interface was already ordered and on its way.

Then the huge disappointment when I set up the Alesis, and the same sound was happening.

I wrote to them, they said "That shouldn't happen blah dee blah"--once in awhile I attempt a solution, like buying some of those little frequency traps to strap at the beginning and the end of the USB cord - someone Swore that would fix it.  But nothing's ever helped.

This whine, like low level Fax signal computer sound, Only happens when I'm in Sonar.  When that program's closed, sound is fine. --- An incompatibility between the Alesis and Sonar - of some sort.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 20:51:27 (permalink)
    Buss contention. Make sure your drivers are up to date. If your mouse is USB try it on the serial or mouse port. If its already on the mouse port try it on USB.

Update your video drivers as well.

All I can think of, that cured it for me.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    koikane
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 397
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 20:59:36 (permalink)
    rbowser

Grem

I know, it was a problem from day one with the laptop.  Using the built in card the day I got the computer, I had digital whine on my speakers, didn't worry about it because my new interface was already ordered and on its way.

Then the huge disappointment when I set up the Alesis, and the same sound was happening.

I wrote to them, they said "That shouldn't happen blah dee blah"--once in awhile I attempt a solution, like buying some of those little frequency traps to strap at the beginning and the end of the USB cord - someone Swore that would fix it.  But nothing's ever helped.

This whine, like low level Fax signal computer sound, Only happens when I'm in Sonar.  When that program's closed, sound is fine. --- An incompatibility between the Alesis and Sonar - of some sort.

Randy B.

Been there, done that with this, back when I used to DJ, used my laptop along with my rig. The way I got around the noise you experience is by putting the laptop on it's own circuit. Used to run a cord to the other side of the room if I had to but it worked. Whenever I was on the same circuit the same "fax" noise would start.

If it's not in the mix, it's not in the master 
    http://www.soundclick.com/kandd
    https://soundcloud.com/user-121927816
    Motu MK3, Tascam-DM24, Lucid Work Clocked & Powercore Firewire
    Windows 10 64 bit, MSI MOBO, Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz, 16 gigs of ram
    Sonar Platinum, some Plugins, crud, junk, some wires and stuff
    rbowser
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 21:15:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions, Middleman and Koikane - I'm afraid this sort of noise problem is one of the drawbacks of using a laptop.

I live in an apartment, and all the outlets for this and the next room are all on one breaker - not sure if that means they're on the same circuit-?  But I'm going to unplug and see about stringing the power cord to a different outlet at least.

Trying different USB ports on this has never yielded an improvement, alas.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 21:16:52 (permalink)
    See if your graphics card is sharing an IRQ with anything else. It should be on an IRQ alone, as well as your audio interface. If your graphics card is sharing an IRQ assignment with anything else, disable in the BIOS any thing you don't use such as serial ports, onboard sound, etc. This will free up IRQ assignments, and when you re-boot to windows, windows will re-allocate devices to IRQ assignments, and you may find your graphics card placed on an IRQ alone after that.

Other things to try:

Yep, as already said, try a graphics card driver update or go back to an older driver, try different USB slots for the mouse (regardless of you thinking it's not a mouse related issue. Just because it involves graphic related activity doesn't mean it's not related to your mouse, especially if the mouse is a usb mouse). Is your graphics card a PCI express card? If you have more than one PCIe slot, try swapping to another.

post edited by thomasabarnes - 2010/06/14 21:21:43

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    Ranietz
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 21:58:59 (permalink)
    I had a similar problem with my Presonus Firepod. I didn't hear it through my headphones but only through my speakers (KRK).

What solved it for me was using balanced audio cables between the Firepod and the speakers.
    retired_account
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 21:59:12 (permalink)
    rbowser

Thanks for the suggestions, Middleman and Koikane - I'm afraid this sort of noise problem is one of the drawbacks of using a laptop.

I live in an apartment, and all the outlets for this and the next room are all on one breaker - not sure if that means they're on the same circuit-?  But I'm going to unplug and see about stringing the power cord to a different outlet at least.

Trying different USB ports on this has never yielded an improvement, alas.

Randy B.
    You may want to look into a power conditioner or similar. They can work wonders.
    http://www.furmansound.co...v=01&id=PL-PLUSDMC

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/14 22:11:29 (permalink)
    So let me get this straight:

The SONAH all crash in loudspeaker?

Good Boy.

rbowser
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/15 00:45:55 (permalink)
    Well, this has been a rather Hellish evening.

Updating the Nividia driver - that sounded like something I could do easily enough. --NOT!--omg.

I look at their website and see that the most recent driver is one version newer than what I have, but it still from back in Feb. 2009--AND it's labeled as a Beta--.  Nevertheless, I wanted to try the advice of updating it.  I've already investigated updating the driver for my interface - I have the one and only driver ever made for it, so, nothing to do there.

Now, a full three hours later, discovering in horror that the updated driver completely screwed up my dual monitor set up to a degree that I couldn't figure out how to fix it, I had to use a restore point to go back to before installing this new driver.  Then it took another hour to unravel the muck it'd made of my displays.

Meanwhile - The sound is exactly the same.  The Fax machine-like digital whine has nothing to do with my video card.

OK, well at least now I know.  I always like to investigate possible solutions when I can - but geez, this was as much fun as watching the grass grow all night.

On to other fix attempts tomorrow--if I'm up to it.--(it's always been like this every time I try to fix this sound issue with this Alesis interface).

Randy B.
    post edited by rbowser - 2010/06/15 00:47:29

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/15 03:40:45 (permalink)
    Any problems related to graphics - wouldn't hurt to empty your picture cache.  (If it's still the default 20MB size, you should also increase this).

Alternatively, just delete the aud.ini file and have Sonar recreate it.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/15 04:55:58 (permalink)
    I remember reading, quite a while ago, that disabling all "Turbo's" and accelerators of the video card can help to reduce video-card related noises.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/15 05:03:05 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

I remember reading, quite a while ago, that disabling all "Turbo's" and accelerators of the video card can help to reduce video-card related noises.

That's a good tip.  Adjusting the hardware acceleration on the vid card could make a difference.

It doesn't explain why you suddenly have the problem, but might at least be a workaround until you track down the cause.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    millzy
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/15 18:43:03 (permalink)
    I had the exact same "zipper" noise particularly in console view when sliding across the buss tracks. I updated my video card drivers (nVidia) and also played around with the hardware acceleration as already mentioned. I no longer have the problem.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
    lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:OT: Noise out of speakers during idle/moving windows. 2010/06/15 19:38:43 (permalink)
    For Randy B. another consideration for yours might be radiowave interference.  One of my son's cell phones will cause problems with my sound in Sonar(may do it in Itunes as well but not sure).  My phone or any of the phones of the rest of my staff will not cause the problem.  I also have a walky talkie set that will cause problems.  Other sources could be wireless phone handsets or even a WIFI may cause interference.  With the limited number of outlets you mentioned that could compound the problem.  Could even be one of your neighbors wireless transmitters of some type.  Have you used the laptop/Sonar outside of your apartment?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1