On the speed of sound

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2011/07/01 14:53:21 (permalink)

On the speed of sound

Something that's always troubled me in my acoustical studies is that no two references use the same value for the speed of sound in their calculations. I've always used 1128 ft/s, but had long ago forgotten why.

So of course when such things are bothering me, I turn to Google, which brought me to this great article on the speed of sound. I thought some of you tech-heads might enjoy it.

Specifically what I'd been wondering about is just how crucial it really is to get the speed of sound right when making acoustical calculations. If my 1128 number was off, how much was that affecting my calculations? So I decided to figure out just what the speed of sound really is, here and now.

All my life I had been under the mistaken impression that the speed of sound varied with altitude. Being only 500' above sea level here, I wondered if that should be taken into account.

Turns out, it doesn't matter at all. To paraphrase the article: barometric pressure and altitude are irrelevant when figuring the speed of sound. Humidity has a very small effect (about 1ft/s variance from 0 and 100% humidity). There is only one factor of real significance, and that is temperature.

The speed of sound does change with temperature. At 20° C., it's 343 meters per second. At 30° C., it's 349 m/s. In US terms, and in the reality of my poorly-ventilated room, this means the speed of sound varies between 1125 and 1152 feet per second. So that answers my initial question as to whether 1128 is an OK average. Turns out, it is. (Although I will start using 1125 from now on. It's a nice number.)

So this also means that my room resonances change with temperature. Next question, then is would they change enough to warrant rethinking acoustical treatments or room EQ?

Short answer: no. My too-small room is 16' long. That means the lowest resonant frequency on a normal day is 35.16Hz (1125 / (16 * 2)) and that frequency shifts up to 36Hz when the temperature soars on a hot summer day. Totally irrelevant for studio acoustics.

These are just the kinds of things that I amuse myself with every day, and I thought I'd share with anyone who cares.
post edited by bitflipper - 2011/07/01 14:55:31

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

60 Replies Related Threads

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/01 15:16:22 (permalink)
    The next thing you're going to try to convince me of is that there is a speed of light. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/01 16:26:15 (permalink)
    Interesting, but I was scratching my head also. It's not very well written as to why pressure "doesn't matter" when it's part of the formula for speed of sound

And he has a table labeled:

Table (chart): The clear impact of temperature
    Speed of sound, density of air, specific acoustic impedance vs. temperature

If you look at it, you see both the speed of sound and density of air vary with temperature.

He also says:
    Since sound is transferred easily through densely packed molecules, it is faster in denser substances.

And:
    The air pressure and the density of air (air density) are proportional to each other at the same temperature.
     It applies always p / ρ = constant. rho is the density ρ and p is the sound pressure.
    And:
    Density of air (air density) ρ = air pressure p_ ÷ (gas constant R × temperature in Kelvin)

So if you increase air pressure at the same temperature, the air density also increases. And from all of this it looks like air density would really be the determining factor.

But when you look at the formula for speed of sound:
    c = (k * p/ρ)1/2

and combine it with the formula given for air density:
    Density of air (air density) ρ = air pressure p_ ÷ (gas constant R × temperature in Kelvin)

you get:
    c = (k * p/((p/R*temp))1/2  

so the pressure cancels out:
    c = (k * (R*temp))1/2  

and you're left with 2 constants and the temperature.

Sorry, but I actually read this stuff. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/01 20:22:48 (permalink)
    nicely done.

bitflipper
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/01 22:00:44 (permalink)
    I think I get what you're saying, drew. Assuming that the statement that "air density is proportional to temperature" is true, then wouldn't it still be temperature that's the critical variable? That statement wouldn't be true if air density could vary independently of temperature.

My Stuff
    drewfx1
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/01 22:43:24 (permalink)
    bitflipper

I think I get what you're saying, drew. Assuming that the statement that "air density is proportional to temperature" is true, then wouldn't it still be temperature that's the critical variable? That statement wouldn't be true if air density could vary independently of temperature.

They're all interrelated by pV=nRT

p=air pressure
    V=volume
    n=amount of stuff
    R=gas constant
    T=temperature

and note that
    n/V=air density

So, if you change any one thing in that formula, at least one other thing has got to change.

And if you say, "The speed of sound is slower at high altitudes because of the lower temperature, not the lower pressure", well I would ask:

Is the air pressure lower because the temperature is lower?
    Or is the temperature lower because the air pressure is lower?

I would say that the answer to both of those questions is "yes". 

But because the speed of sound is based (in part) on the ratio of pressure to density, and "pV=nRT", you're left with just the R and the T.  IOW, the ratio of pressure to density is equal to R * T.

He kept repeating about the "ratio being constant" at a constant temperature, but he didn't make clear (at least to me) that because the two are related to each other by R * T, they cancel out and you're left with just the constant R and the variable T. The only other argument in the formula is a constant (for a given medium), so temperature is indeed the only variable. 

I'm just the type where if I read someone say, "Everyone else is wrong! Pressure doesn't matter!" and then they show me the formula - and pressure is one of the arguments, well I need to take a closer look at "where did it go?" and how it can't matter.   
    post edited by drewfx1 - 2011/07/01 22:49:09

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/01 22:55:35 (permalink)
    Once again: nicely done.

I've seen this topic discussed before. I've never seen the part about the relativity of factors introduced into the conversation more succinctly, or more clearly than as has been presented here today.

drewfx1
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/01 22:56:45 (permalink)
    You might find this amusing too. When I wiki'd the Gas constant, it says:

As of 2006, the most precise measurement of R is obtained by measuring the speed of sound...

Jimbo21
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 696
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/01 23:51:00 (permalink)
    One of the (many) things that I don't get is pressurized gas like R-22 or canned air cleaner is basically (I assume) at ambient temperature until released to a lower pressure. When that happens it's temp obviously drops and thus we get refrigeration and air conditioning. How does the density/temperature thing work here or is this apples and oranges in that speed of sound is totally unrelated in the example above?

Jim 

Dell XPS 8700 i7 4770 3.4GHZ, Windows 7 64bit, 8gb Ram, Focurite 18i6, Sonar Platinum

https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-james-and-the-blue
    bitflipper
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/02 10:14:17 (permalink)
    You might find this amusing too. When I wiki'd the Gas constant, it says: As of 2006, the most precise measurement of R is obtained by measuring the speed of sound...

LOL!

Fortunately, the speed of sound can be accurately measured, whether we know how to calculate it or not.

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/02 10:18:54 (permalink)
    One of the (many) things that I don't get is pressurized gas like R-22 or canned air cleaner is basically (I assume) at ambient temperature until released to a lower pressure. When that happens it's temp obviously drops and thus we get refrigeration and air conditioning. How does the density/temperature thing work here or is this apples and oranges in that speed of sound is totally unrelated in the example above?

That drop in temperature is due to the absorption of heat when a substance expands. It's rapid evaporation that makes alcohol feel cold on your skin, and why sweating cools you down. Lizards don't sweat, which is why they must seek refuge in a cool bar and sip iced beverages. Hence the phrase "lounge lizard".

My Stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/02 10:19:14 (permalink)
    Jimbo21

Jim 

Look up Boyle's Law.

It is all interrelated.

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/02 10:23:44 (permalink)
    bitflipper

That drop in temperature is due to the absorption of heat when a substance expands. It's rapid evaporation that makes alcohol feel cold on your skin, and why sweating cools you down. Lizards don't sweat, which is why they must seek refuge in a cool bar and sip iced beverages. Hence the phrase "lounge lizard".

FWIW, I think that the conventional semantic is to explain that the dense, highly compacted air, has great mass and it more or less can "absorb" heat. The depressurization disperses the heat and that is why we perceive a lack of it. By definition, a lack of heat is known as cold.

This is how I have learned to think about compression/decompression.

Please counter, correct, amend, edit etc if required.

best regards,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/07/02 10:25:41

drewfx1
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/02 14:42:58 (permalink)
    Not that anyone cares, but for the sake of correctness:

I said earlier that in pV=nRT, n/V would equal the density.

While this is more or less true, you end up with a "units problem" if you try to replace the ratio of pressure to volume with "R * T" in the speed of sound equation as given:

The speed of sound,
    c=( γ *p/ρ)1/2
    where  
    p = air pressure
    ρ = air density
    γ = the adiabatic constant, characteristic of the specific gas. It's about 1.4 for air at reasonable temperatures.

To get the density in the proper units, you need to multiply it by the molecular weight (M) of the substance. You can get the molecular weight by adding together the atomic weights that make up the molecule and dividing it by 1000 (to convert from g to kg).

So then:
    density ρ = (n/V)*M

and:
    pV=nRT

where:
    p=air pressure  (in Pascals)
    V=volume  (in cubic meters)
    n=amount of stuff  (in moles)
    R=gas constant
    T=temperature (in °K)  

so:
    p=(n/V)*R*T
    p=(ρ/M)*R*T  
    p/(ρ/M)=R*T
    (p/ρ)*M=R*T
    p/ρ=(R*T)/M  

So solving the speed of sound equation for temperature:
    c=(γ*p/ρ)1/2
    c=(γ*R*T/M)1/2
    where  
    γ = the adiabatic constant, characteristic of the specific gas (about 1.4 for air).  
    T = temperature in °K (0°C=273.15°K)
    R = the Ideal Gas Constant (8.3144621)
    M = the Molecular weight (about .02896 for air)

Alternatively, you can use the Specific Gas Constant for the gas in question, which (not surprisingly) equals the Ideal Gas Constant divided by the molecular weight of that gas.

quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/03 00:43:42 (permalink)

Just to elaborate a bit on Bit's comments ... when a liquid evaporates (a phase change) at a constant temperature, molecules at the surface have enough kinetic energy in excess of the bulk liquid to overcome intermolecular forces ... and so they enter the gas phase.  As the liquid vaporizes the average kinetic energy of the bulk liquid decreases and consequently the temperature decreases.  Thus, vaporization (liquid -> gas) is endothermic and the reverse process (condensation) is exothermic.  Refrigeration systems function by cycling through vaporization and condensation in a closed system.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    quantumeffect
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/03 01:16:00 (permalink)
    Many years ago as an undergraduate, we did an elegant pchem lab that I have not seen done since.  Hopefully this description does it justice:

We had a large glass jar with an inlet valve on the bottom.  The top of the jar had a long glass cylinder (that was polished on the inside analogous to a cylinder in an engine) mounted vertically.  We also had a polished steel ball that fit into the glass cylinder (analogous to a piston).

When the bottom inlet was sealed and the steel ball was dropped into the cylinder the ball would fall but before it reached the bottom of the cylinder (and fell into the jar) it would bounce back up on a “cushion” of air … and then it would continue to bounce back up and down.

What we did was purge the jar with different gases and observe the frequency of oscillation of the steel ball which ultimately was functionally dependent upon the molar mass of the gas.

This is probably a better illustration of the inhaling helium from a balloon phenomenon but ….

Dave

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/03 07:42:01 (permalink)
    That's so freaking cool.

As I often explain... your university had a school... where as mine proudly serves as as second home for the circus... we literally we have a circus program.

Oh well... now I feel jealous. :-)

bitflipper
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/03 11:19:02 (permalink)
    I think my problem is my thermometer doesn't read out in Kelvin.

My Stuff
    drewfx1
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/03 12:31:28 (permalink)
    bitflipper

I think my problem is my thermometer doesn't read out in Kelvin.

Maybe you could fill an airtight container with a known quantity of helium and measure the speed of sound?

bitflipper
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/03 22:22:11 (permalink)
    OK, but how do I get inside the airtight container with my guitar, amp, mic and DAW? Plus, whenever I get around helium I get kinda goofy.

My Stuff
    Jimbo21
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/04 00:11:22 (permalink)
    I'm good with helium. It's the nitrous that gets me.

Dell XPS 8700 i7 4770 3.4GHZ, Windows 7 64bit, 8gb Ram, Focurite 18i6, Sonar Platinum

Jimbo21
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/04 00:16:32 (permalink)
    quantumeffect

Just to elaborate a bit on Bit's comments ... when a liquid evaporates (a phase change) at a constant temperature, molecules at the surface have enough kinetic energy in excess of the bulk liquid to overcome intermolecular forces ... and so they enter the gas phase.  As the liquid vaporizes the average kinetic energy of the bulk liquid decreases and consequently the temperature decreases.  Thus, vaporization (liquid -> gas) is endothermic and the reverse process (condensation) is exothermic.  Refrigeration systems function by cycling through vaporization and condensation in a closed system.

Yes! that's it! I actually did take physical chemistry (OK, it was the baby Pchem that was trig based, not calculus based) 22years ago. Time flies along with the brain cells.

quantumeffect
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/09 02:12:12 (permalink)
    My apologies for revisiting this topic but I left a previous post with a “but …” and I just wanted to follow up on that and I also have one more short story.  More recently, but still several years ago I taught a pchem lab that measured the speed of sound if different gases to determine the specific heat of the gas (that would be the adiabatic constant of 1.4 from Drew’s post #14).

The apparatus was simple (I suspect Bit could probably throw one of these together in his studio).  We had a long glass tube with a meter stick attached to it.  At one end of the tube there was a speaker attached to a frequency generator.  Into the other end of the tube was inserted a moveable plunger with a microphone built into it who’s signal was ultimately fed to an oscilloscope.  The tube was purged with a gas and the speaker emitted a known frequency.  By moving the plunger and observing the pattern on the oscilloscope the students could measure the distance between resonance peaks from the meter stick.  Measuring these ½ wavelengths at different frequencies allowed the students to calculate the speed of sound in that gas.

The students then used the speed of sound to calculate something called the “root-mean-square speed” of the gas molecules or atoms (which I will call particles).  In other words, it gives you information about how fast the particles are moving and … the speed of sound in the gas is related to this “root-mean-square speed” of the particles (which I will call rms-speed).

So what does this have to do with the temperature of the tea in China?

If you accept that the speed of sound in a gas is related to the rms-speed of the particles of gas then:
    The temperature varies with the rms-speed of the particles (kinetic energy).
    The rms-speed of the particles also depend on the way the individual particles can move at the molecular level (in fancy talk this would be called degrees of freedom) and is reflected in the specific heat or adiabatic constant of the gas.
    The rms-speed of the particle will also depend upon its mass … that’s where you get the molar mass in the equation.

The pressure / density thing is a bit trickier to conceptualize … you (or at least me) have to get a picture in your head of a wave propagating through a material … it is a pressure wave or mechanical stress to be more specific (which I will call the acoustical wave).  The acoustical wave causes volume and density changes in the gas and ultimately, the density and pressure are directly proportional to each other (Drew showed the relationship above).

I would like to comment on a property of materials (stiffness) and one of the problems I have is with a statement from the article … which is either incorrect or incomplete:

Since sound is more easily transmitted between close molecules,
    it travels faster in the denser substance. Thus the speed of sound increases with the
    stiffness of the material.

A change in pressure (a mechanical stress) in the gas is going to be related to the stiffness of the gas (I guess you would use the adiabatic elastic modulus and yes, I know the modulus is an intensive property and the stiffness is an extensive property) and it is true that the speed of sound increases with the stiffness of the material.  If you compare materials in different phases (i.e., air to water to steel) you may draw the conclusion the speed of sound also increases with density but, the speed of sound in a given phase is actually inversely proportional to density (or decreases with increasing density).  For example:

Hydrogen gas, density = 0.08988 g/L and the S.O.S. is 1290 m/s

Oxygen gas, density = 1.429 g/L and the S.O.S. is 316 m/s

I think I’ve babbled on too long and am loosing focus ….
    post edited by quantumeffect - 2011/07/09 03:22:58

Dave

bitflipper
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/09 10:04:50 (permalink)
    So if the speed of sound is 4 times faster in hydrogen than in oxygen, does that mean sound moves slower in an oxygen-rich atmosphere such as a rain forest?

I know I certainly move slower in the tropics.

My Stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/09 10:11:16 (permalink)
    I was just starting to move beyond my layman's understanding when you accused yourself of babbling...

I am very appreciative to get to learn this.

I'd enjoy reading further.

best regards,
    mike

drewfx1
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/09 11:55:48 (permalink)
    quantumeffect

I would like to comment on a property of materials (stiffness) and one of the problems I have is with a statement from the article … which is either incorrect or incomplete:  

Since sound is more easily transmitted between close molecules,
    it travels faster in the denser substance. Thus the speed of sound increases with the
    stiffness of the material.

A change in pressure (a mechanical stress) in the gas is going to be related to the stiffness of the gas (I guess you would use the adiabatic elastic modulus and yes, I know the modulus is an intensive property and the stiffness is an extensive property) and it is true that the speed of sound increases with the stiffness of the material.  If you compare materials in different phases (i.e., air to water to steel) you may draw the conclusion the speed of sound also increases with density but, the speed of sound in a given phase is actually inversely proportional to density (or decreases with increasing density).  For example:

Hydrogen gas, density = 0.08988 g/L and the S.O.S. is 1290 m/s

Oxygen gas, density = 1.429 g/L and the S.O.S. is 316 m/s

I think I’ve babbled on too long and am loosing focus ….

I think that passage was one of the ones that I questioned in the context of the article. But I would say it's incomplete (and thus misleading).

But the lower density is due to the much lower molecular weight of H2, which does determine the speed of sound, along with temperature and the adiabatic constant, not the density or pressure (at least for gases).

And I enjoy your babbling.

[EDIT: Remove to cloudy brain errors]
    post edited by drewfx1 - 2011/07/09 12:28:46

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/09 13:53:38 (permalink)
    I thought that air conditioners and refrigerators were based on the principle of pressure release? I.e. you build up pressure in one vessel, then you release it into another which has been evacuated.

The compressed air becomes hotter because you are pressing the atoms more tightly together. The sudden expansion of the gas moves all of the atoms in the gas further apart very suddenly, and since heat is the movement of atoms smacking into each other, their suddenly being much further apart means that they are colliding much less often and the temperature drops accordingly with the pressure.

You can then push air over that second vessel to cool it and then blow it into the room, while you blow the heat generated in the first vessel outside, or connect it to a radiator that is outside so that it's heat can dissipate.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    quantumeffect
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/09 19:23:11 (permalink)
    So the point I was trying to make in the pressure / density relation comments in my previous post is that the speed of sound is often given by an equation that relates it to the stiffness of the material whether it be a solid, liquid or gas.  I’ve intentionally not used any equations but this relationship is straightforward.

stiffness has a specific meaning … it is how much a material deforms when a pressure is applied to it so:

speed of sound = the square root of a stiffness coefficient divided by the density

c = (C/d)^1/2

If you go to the wiki page on speed of sound this is the 1st equation shown and is given for solids, liquids and gases.

The derivation of this relationship is actually pretty complicated and the pchem manual I taught it out of uses all different letters for the variables but I will try to give it an English translation. The goal is to show that pressure and density are directly proportional to each other … so as one goes up the other goes up … but, to do it in terms of a model that describes an acoustical wave moving through a material and not starting with the ideal gas law.  That said (again, Drew showed the pressure / density relationship from the ideal gas equation) … I’m just discussing it from a different perspective, the end result is the same.

Another way of visualizing the acoustical wave is as a spring.  If you held a Slinky at one end and a friend held it stretched out horizontally at the other end and you tapped one of the ends … you would see a repeating pattern of compressed regions of spring moving down the length of the spring completely analogous to the acoustical wave.  And if you think about it this way, you can see how the stiffness of the spring will affect how fast the compressed region moves down the length of the spring. 

A pchem book would probably do the following:

Start with a wave equation and if you will allow me a circular definition … it is an equation that describes the behavior of a wave in a material of a specific density.  This will have in it, particle displacement and the speed of sound.

If you consider an imaginary cross section of the material, you can get equations that relate the particle displacement to changes in density and changes in volume in the material (for some reason physicists and physical chemists like to evaluate cross-sectional areas).

Then deal with the pressure (which is force per unit area) by using Hooke’s Law (that’s the spring one), this gives you pressure changes in the material in terms of not only particle displacement but a term that characterizes the stiffness of the material (the adiabatic elastic modulus which I am also calling the stiffness coefficient) which is analogous to the spring constant or I guess it is the spring constant.

If we consider the net acoustic force acting on our imaginary cross-section and use Newton’s second law of motion we get an equation that relates pressure to the density and from the use of Hooke’s Law, the stiffness coefficient to density 

So, from the wave equation, Hooke’s Law and Newton’s Law of Motion we end up with:

speed of sound  = (stiffness coefficient/density)^1/2

… this one is often the first equation found in physics texts to characterize the SOS.

Through Hooke’s Law we show the relationship between force (or in this case pressure) and the stiffness coefficient giving you:

speed of sound  = (pressure/density)^1/2       {SEE EDIT AT BOTTOM}

and we also know the relationship between the root mean square speed, the speed of sound, temperature, the heat capacity and the molar mass,:

speed of sound = rms-speed = (heat capacity x temperature / molar mass)^1/2

I kinda’ wanted to show it this way as an alternative to the PV=nRT interpretation because of the experiment that I described in post # 16 where a steel ball was bouncing on a cushion of air.  The frequency depended upon the gas that was acting as the “cushion”.  Imagine the ball bouncing up and down in the glass cylinder, the glass and the gas were clear and colorless making it look as though there was nothing supporting it either from below or above … except maybe with a little imagination … the ball was actually suspended from an invisible spring.

[EDIT]
    I really should write for a reversible adiabatic process ...
    speed of sound = (heat capacity x pressure/density)^1/2
    the word adiabatic means that the process is not exchanging heat with the surrounding like a hot liquid in a Thermos bottle.
    post edited by quantumeffect - 2011/07/10 20:52:11

Dave

quantumeffect
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/10 08:21:00 (permalink)
    I thought that air conditioners and refrigerators were based on the principle of pressure release? I.e. you build up pressure in one vessel, then you release it into another which has been evacuated.

The actual heat exchange is achieved through evaporation (at the evaporator coil).

So it is really a delta H of vaporization thing and not a gas phase pressure-volume thing.

Dave

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:On the speed of sound 2011/07/10 08:40:51 (permalink)

This is a great thread... I really appreciate the minimal use of equations.

It's been great to learn why so many articles about this subject often times peter out and don't go further.

I was always left thinking I didn't get the whole story and there were often times subtle implications suggesting that the full explanation takes too long to write in a short article.

Quantum has a gift for teaching and I just want to voice my appreciation.

I've moved a little further forward today.

A big thanks to quantum and all you guys that inspire him with great comments and questions.

best regards,
    mike

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1