Orchestral - Template

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sadicus
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 368
2010/09/08 13:46:43 (permalink)

Orchestral - Template

Tutorial Request: A-300 PRO, Orchestral Template PO4 or Kontakt 4 How to set MIDi chnls correctly?

Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:
I would like to click on (STRINGS) track folder, play, and hear all the sounds in that folder, move to the next track folder (HORNS), play, and hear the sounds in that folder etc.
I've noticed that selecting the Track Folder will not allow the sounds to play, you have to select the actual MIDI Track.
Is there a way to group Items to do this? Maybe the MIDI ECHO, Thru needs to be on?

SONAR8.5

(STRINGS) Track Folder
MIDI Track2 CH 1: Kontakt4
                    O: Kontakt4 I: Omni         
(STRINGS) Track Folder
MIDI Track2 CH 2: Kontakt4
                    O: Kontakt4 I: Omni        

KONTAKT 4 Output st:1   \
Strings 1    Midi Ch: [A]1       \
Strings 2    Midi Ch: [A]1           All these will be in the SONAR  (STRINGS) Track Folder
Cello 1        Midi Ch: [A]1       /
dbl Bass1    Midi Ch: [A]1     /
Horns 1    Midi Ch: [A]2     \
Horns 2    Midi Ch: [A]2       \
Horns 3    Midi Ch: [A]2          All these will be in the SONAR  (HORNS) Track Folder
Horns 3    Midi Ch: [A]2      /
Horns 3    Midi Ch: [A]2     /

post edited by sadicus - 2010/09/08 13:48:44

sadicus | VYBE-AMD Ryzen Theadripper 12 Core | Win10x64 | Ultralite-mk3 | Cakewalk-Platinum

33 Replies Related Threads

Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/08 14:04:43 (permalink)
    You'd need to bus them and solo their buses.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    sadicus
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/08 14:20:22 (permalink)
    DISCOVERY
    If MIDI tracks are first in the Track Folder, then selecting just the track folder will work to switch between sounds because the track folder and first track are selected together.

Bussing, I'll see how that turns out. thanks

sadicus | VYBE-AMD Ryzen Theadripper 12 Core | Win10x64 | Ultralite-mk3 | Cakewalk-Platinum

mick@itc
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/08 22:01:26 (permalink)
    Have a look at the Garritan web site forum... 

Mick from Oz. 
    HP DV7-3008tx , Sonar 8.5 PE,  Komplete 6, GPO, JABB, Ozone 4, Melodyne Studio & DNA
    sadicus
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/08 22:08:37 (permalink)
    sigh, yes that would be nice, however I have a tech issue with that website right now.
    If you have specific info, a link would be helpful.

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/08 23:00:07 (permalink)
    hmm, well for one thing, so far this thread is reminding me of why I don't use folders.  Give me all my tracks visible at once, I don't care how much I have to vertically scroll, I can tell what I'm doing!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/08 23:20:09 (permalink)
    I'm with Randy in that I like to see all of my tracks.  I just don't want anything hidden.  My normal orchestra template has about 80 tracks in it so it could get pretty confusing if any tracks were hidden.

I assign each section to a bus.  Easiest way to mute and solo sections for the way I work.

Jim 
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 00:26:26 (permalink)
    I am the opposite, I think I would pull my hair out without track folders.  I find it helpful in organizing Rock and Orchestra projects, what a mess my screen would be it would be without them.

I frequently solo an entire folder -string section- for example and have no issues, maybe I'm not understanding what problem your having in doing so.  But in any event, routing them all to a bus and soloing that bus would work, providing everything in that folder is going to that bus. 

Some of my "Vox" folders contain multiple vocal tracks and they are not all routed to the same bus, so in my case I would have to solo multiple busses.  I find the track folder 'solo/mute/" route very easy and organized. 

It is especially easy to then make a mix without vocals with them all controlled by 1 "solo/mute"

-Mike

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    rbowser
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 00:32:20 (permalink)
    LpMike75

I am the opposite, I think I would pull my hair out without track folders.  I find it helpful in organizing Rock and Orchestra projects, what a mess my screen would be it would be without them.

I frequently solo an entire folder -string section- for example and have no issues, maybe I'm not understanding what problem your having in doing so.  But in any event, routing them all to a bus and soloing that bus would work, providing everything in that folder is going to that bus. 

Some of my "Vox" folders contain multiple vocal tracks and they are not all routed to the same bus, so in my case I would have to solo multiple busses.  I find the track folder 'solo/mute/" route very easy and organized. 

It is especially easy to then make a mix without vocals with them all controlled by 1 "solo/mute"

-Mike

I was initially interested in trying out track folders when they became available, and I did maybe 1 or 2 projects using them - Looked kind of tidy, but I was constantly, I mean Constantly re-opening them to work with the individual tracks. 

Then I realized - hmmm, this isn't working for me so well.  All I need to do is put the Track Manager to more work.  I've never looked back.  Got clutter on your screen?--hide what you don't need to look at temporarily by hiding those tracks, but still having all your current tracks open.  Works great. 

Folders obviously work for a lot of people, but for me, they added confusion instead of simplifying things.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 01:17:08 (permalink)
    Hiding tracks is a scary thing to me.  I mean, I throw in 5 pairs of socks in the dryer and I'm lucky to find one match when they are done, I don't want that kind of luck to follow me.  Different strokes for different folks as they say

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 06:25:58 (permalink)
    I'm with Mike on this one.

Organising your tracks into folders has been an absolute Godsend - for me.

One of the main benefits I find is the ability to mute/solo an entire folders worth of tracks independently of the individual track's mute/solo status. (It doesn't mean you over-ride their status, but you don't have to go and un-mute or un-solo any other bits you're auditioning).

Want to hear just the vocals (and their Fx), just click the 'S' on the vocals folder.

The downside of using your busses for this is that you don't get the whole picture unless you also start soloing their respective Fx busses. (More clicks)

And you'd better hope you don't share your drum reverb with your vocal reverb, because soloing the reverb bus will give you all of it, leaving you with the only option of soloing each individual track. (More clicks).

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    sadicus
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 08:25:11 (permalink)
    These are all great points! I have never recorded more that a typical rock band (8 trks or so) but I am really wanting to compose with many tracks. Right now I'm not so concerned with the organization, but rather a TEMPLATE

Didn't older versions of SONAR have an orchestral template, string quartet etc?
    I'm not seeing that in 8.5 (perhaps a bad install?)

I just get lost with all the busing, KONTAKT sampler  in out set up, and why it needs to be that way. If anyone cares to elaborate on that, something I could reverse engineer a Template (not a full set of 100 tracks but a basic: "this is how you set it up for this reason"

interesting thread on different work flows for people, thanks!

Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 08:59:41 (permalink)
    I'm with the + folder group.  Keeps things organized and mixing can be way faster.

As far as Clicking on one group and playing/hearing all the tracks in that group....I'm not sure that is such a great idea.  The purpose of having separate tracks is to give you control over each individual sound and different articulations.  Do I want to hear my strings with Pizz and legato and staccato all playing at the same time?  I Don't think so.

If you are trying to compose for strings and you want to hear the full range of strings and not just the 1st violins,  I would suggest loading a dummy track that is the full string section.  Most libraries will have a full string or brass or ww patch.   Use that patch to flesh out your music,  then go and orchestrate using the appropriate patches 
    Jose7822
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 09:47:38 (permalink)
    Hey Sadicus,

To give you another take, this is my current Orchestral Template:

http://www.screencast.com/users/Jose7822/folders/Jing/media/42ade498-c084-413e-b5b6-1e99e48c4b0a

I use EWQLSO Gold Plus (PLAY version) and I insert it as a Simple Instrument Track in Sonar.  Actually, I have 27 instances of PLAY in my template as seen on the screenshot above.  Each Instrument Track hosts all the articulations (up to 16) for that particular instrument, and I organize them all in folders based on their instrumental family.  This way everything is kept clean, with the least amount of tracks possible.  Otherwise, I would end up with over 100 tracks per project, which would be a nightmare to handle. 

To trigger each articulation, I load them up into separate MIDI channels in PLAY and then use the Event Inspector in Sonar (it's a Tool Bar, btw) to change my MIDI note channels.  For example, say for the "Violin I" instance I only need 3 articulations; Legato, Spiccato and Tremolo.  Each of these would have their own MIDI channel in sequence; Legato (MIDI ch1), Spiccato (MIDI ch2) and Tremolo (MIDI ch3).  Then on my project, I select the Legato notes and, via the Event Inspector, I change their MIDI channels to correspond with the articulation needed.  This gives me the ability to work with one track per orchestral instrument and see all their notes from one MIDI track.  The Multi-out method would use 1 Audio and 3 MIDI tracks, for a total of 4 tracks, just for one instrument.

There are many more benefits to working this way, including not having to use keyswitch notes to change articulations, which potentially clutter your PRV as well as your score if you need to print your work.  It spreads up the CPU load more evenly than housing all your articulations into 4 or 5 instances of PLAY/Kontakt.  It's easy to mix your project since each instrument has its own track, so any effects or automation used will only apply to that instrument and not several of them.

So that's my workflow in a nutshell.  I'm sure you could adapt this to Kontakt if you desired.

HTH

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    sadicus
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 20:09:16 (permalink)
    @ Jose7822
    helpful indeed! I'm gonna read thru this a bit and try it out.
    KS was an issue when I was triggering samples from a guitar.

sadicus
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 21:19:27 (permalink)
    @ Jose7822
    hey this seems to be going well so far.
    1) is this how you have your in/outs for every midi track?
    Sonar MIDI Track 1
    O: Kontakt 4
    I: All Inputs Omni
    CH: None

2) you do all your MIDI recording to 1 Track, then Drag the midi clip to the appropriate track?
    * for some reason I can only hear a track playback if it's selected and soloed.
    post edited by sadicus - 2010/09/09 21:49:23

rbowser
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/09 22:10:35 (permalink)
    sadicus

@ Jose7822
    hey this seems to be going well so far.
    1) is this how you have your in/outs for every midi track?
    Sonar MIDI Track 1
    O: Kontakt 4
    I: All Inputs Omni
    CH: None

2) you do all your MIDI recording to 1 Track, then Drag the midi clip to the appropriate track?
    * for some reason I can only hear a track playback if it's selected and soloed.

Jose will be giving you some answers, I'm sure, Sadicus - but getting the auto-email about this post made me want to interject:

"... you do all your MIDI recording to 1 Track, then Drag the midi clip to the appropriate track?..."

I doubt if that's what Jose means.  When you insert a multi-out player like Kontakt, initially you can get all the separate audio outputs that you need, but Sonar only puts in one MIDI track, and it's assigned to the first out.  You need to insert the rest of the MIDI tracks yourself, and connect each of those to the slots in Kontakt.  That way you record each MIDI channel in its own separate track, each with its separate instrument.

Your final question about only hearing playback if a track is soloed must be related - you'll be able to hear all the tracks playing at once if you've set things up correctly.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Jose7822
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/10 01:11:03 (permalink)
    Hey Sadicus,

I apologize for not being able to answer sooner (busy day).

The way Randy explained it is what I call the "traditional way", and it's how most people work with sample libraries.  However, the way I work is very different from the Multi-Out method.  Basically, this is how I set up my template:

1) I insert an instance of PLAY (Kontakt in your case) as a Simple Instrument Track for each instrument of the orchestra (as seen on my screenshot).  IOW, when inserting Kontakt, make sure nothing but "Simple Instrument Track" and perhaps "Synth Property Page" are selected.  This should give you a single track when you press "OK'.  This track is both Audio and MIDI combined into one, which is what I like about it as it makes things flexible.  For now, lets just work with one instance of Kontakt until you get the concept.

2) Say this instance is used to host all the Violin I articulations, and that we only need 3 of them (i.e. Legato, Staccato, Tremolo).  Proceed by load these articulations into Kontakt and make sure each one of them has it's own MIDI channel (i.e. Legato ch1, Staccato ch2 and Tremolo ch3).  We do NOT need to change the default I/O assignments or MIDI channels in Sonar since those should be fine as they are.  Step 2 is all done inside of Kontakt.

3) If you have a MIDI keyboard, try recording a little melody that would require the three articulations we've got loaded so far.  The Legato patch should be the only one being heard right now though.

4) Now that we've recorded our melody, let's start by modifying some MIDI info so that the other articulations are also being triggered at the desired spots.  Begin by calling up the "Even t Inspector" tool bar.  With it we can change the MIDI channel of ONLY the notes we select.  Highlight a few notes and change the MIDI channel to ch3 (Tremolo).  Try switching to the Staccato patch and back to Legato.  This should give you a better contrast to compare to.  So far you should be hearing legato, for the most part, and staccato playing.

I'll explain more tomorrow since I'm very tired right now.  But the above steps should give you more than enough to get started.

HTH

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/10 05:18:06 (permalink)
    Jose, in your very well thought out workflow & template, does this assume that for instance, all the I Violin notes are using the same articulation at the same time?

In other words, if you wanted a mix of artic 1 & artic 2 playing at the same time, do you ever have to "layer" notes within the same MIDI track? Obviously changing the MIDI channel for each artic as you progress.

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jose7822
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/10 09:25:44 (permalink)
    Bristol,

There are two ways to do what you ask using the workflow I describe, and the method used will be based on how the "layered" articulations are being handled.  For example, if you want to always use the supporting or "layered" articulation in conjunction with another, then all you do is assign it the same MIDI channel.  IOW, artic 1 and artic 2 will be triggered simultaneously every time a MIDI note that was assigned that MIDI channel is played.  As an example, you could use this technique on 'Staccato Trumpets' and 'Cresc. Trumpets', assigning both to MIDI channel 3, to get a sforzando effect before the crescendo comes in.  If you have room in your sampler, you could even load the Staccato articulation twice, on separate MIDI channels of course, so that one is being triggered with the crescendo notes and the other when you need regular staccato (no crescendo).

The other method is used when you don't want to have the same MIDI channel for both articulations, and/or when you have two parts using different articulations simultaneously on the same instrument.  In this case, I use track layers, each with its own MIDI channel(s).  For example, you have a Horn playing a melodic line while the other Horns are playing a staccato part in the background.  With the use of track layers you can easily separate the two distinct parts in conjunction with the Mute button ("Q") as well as the option to hide muted clips in PRV.  This way you only see the part you want to work with at a time without having a mess of notes, which would make editing their MIDI channel a nightmare.

And that's basically how I go about these situations, which I think works great.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

rbowser
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/10 13:41:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for explaining your method, Jose.  Interesting!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/10 15:00:06 (permalink)
    Good stuff Jose - thanks very much!

Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/10 15:51:41 (permalink)
    I use track layers, each with its own MIDI channel(s). For example, you have a Horn playing a melodic line while the other Horns are playing a staccato part in the background. With the use of track layers you can easily separate the two distinct parts in conjunction with the Mute button ("Q") as well as the option to hide muted clips in PRV.

I never knew you could do that!  This is something I'll experiment with over the weekend.

Thanks for sharing, Jose!

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    Jose7822
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/10 15:55:26 (permalink)
    Yeah, no problem guys!

I've been very happy with this workflow and haven't looked back the multi-out way ever since, except when working with drums.  The latter is about the only time I use multi-out.  For everything else I use Simple Instrument Tracks.  You have no idea how glad I am that a lot of people begged for this feature, as I was oblivious to it until it was included in Sonar. 

Just love it :-)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

InstrEd
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/11 21:04:58 (permalink)
    Just wanted to say thanks Jose for your orchestral  template idea. I started to use it myself and I'm liking the idea

Instred
    Chicagoland, IL 

Jose7822
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/09/11 21:57:50 (permalink)
    Cool Ed! 

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll gladly help.

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Musicbylove
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/10/28 06:25:22 (permalink)
    Thanks Jose for your sharing your template idea.  When I had my EWQLSO working I would have loved to try it. It sounds so much simpler and easier than the way I did it.

Music to Love
    Jose7822
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/10/28 08:21:44 (permalink)
    How is EWQLSO not working for you?  Did you try the latest PLAY update 2.0.25?

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Musicbylove
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/10/28 11:59:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply Jose.  My Seagate 750 gig Hard drive crashed about 6 Mo ago. I had not made a backup and with a 5 year warranteeeeeee I wasn't worried since I hadn't even used it for 1 mo. yet and all my other Seagates are still going, many past 5 years. This one was DEAD not even recognized in bios.  The good news is I just loaded EWQLSO with the latest play update two days ago. Now I am struggling to get everything working again, and trying to remember how Sonar works after not using it for so long, which is why I am here.  I loved the detail you gave on setting up your work flow and it helped answer questions I had before.
    Thanks again.  I have already sent myself a copy of your email responses and printed them out to use as a reference
    Copying is the highest flattery?

Music to Love
    Jose7822
    Re:Orchestral - Template 2010/10/28 23:23:00 (permalink)
    Ah, I see.  That sucks. 

I also got one Seagate going bad on me some months ago, but I was lucky to spot it before it died and was able to back things up in time.  But Seagate replaced my HDD within days and I was back in business.  That was the first one ever going bad on me (I currently own 6).  In any case, I definitely don't mind being copied and don't feel like anyone is copying me either.  I'm just glad to help others and share my template with them.  I could even send it to you, if you'd like that of course, since we use the same product.  Just let me know and I'll post a link.  I won't get offended if you're not interested, so it's cool if you don't need it.

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2