Helpful ReplyOverall Experience Trying New DAWs!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
2017/12/18 12:23:51 (permalink)

Overall Experience Trying New DAWs!

Well I've had every one crash or completely disappear at one point or another while working in them. Probably due to plugin issues. There is no "stable" DAW that I can tell.
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 13:03:48 (permalink)
For me Cubase has been reliable so far.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
kevmsmith81
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 13:33:58 (permalink)
I've found Reaper to be more stable than SONAR in my experience so far.  As of late, I've found the audio engine dropping out quite regularly in SONAR, even under relatively light CPU load, whereas I've had no dropouts or crashes of any kind in Reaper.
soens
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 15:15:59 (permalink)
I'm mostly testing Samplitude, DP9, & Mixcraft at the moment. Cubase has other issues so I won't be using it. I haven't tried Reaper lately.
kevmsmith81
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 15:22:40 (permalink)
soens
I'm mostly testing Samplitude, DP9, & Mixcraft at the moment. Cubase has other issues so I won't be using it. I haven't tried Reaper lately.

I would honestly give Reaper a try, I've been very impressed.  Basic recording functions are handled with ease and it seems to have a good number of advanced features.  MIDI support seems excellent.  It seems stable.  And it's extremely good value (I've not purchased a licence as yet, but I will be over the next couple of months.  I was going to, but when I saw the limited offer for Mixbus I had to get that first whilst it was a good price).

Another good thing about Reaper is most of the plugins you've used in SONAR will also be compatible.  There will be some you won't be able to use - for example, third party ones which are only licensed for use in SONAR (but then this would be the case with any other DAW as well).  Also, it natively supports the DX plugins, so if you use the Sonitus plugins, they just work.  A couple don't appear (notably the Sonitus Compressor) but again this is also an issue that will seemingly affect most other DAWs as well.

So, in short I recommend giving Reaper a try.  It is powerful and capable and may well save you a fair bit of money given the price it costs compared to other options on the market.
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 15:27:46 (permalink)
In general, frustrating, also I wished I would have created a restore point before installing any of them, got some weird things going on now, so weeding out all the crap that installed with demo's, and that isn't removed using uninstall, at least I did make an image backup prior to most.
While not 100% sure it was, I think CuBase (although not knocking software) was the most invasive in making unknown or requiring system changes to function, aside from all the authorizing to demo a limited version, it required making changes to personal Windows/GUI setting, i.e., Aero background themes required and no high contrast setting allowed or wont start, (which I use for my vision issues), and activating Windows sounds, also requiring USB dongle to demo full version, so not even sure of full functionality and costs $$ just to demo. This is important to see which and how existing VST's and VI's function within softwares. 
Also ProTools requires to buy ILOK3 $$ just to demo full version to use your own VST's and VI's, also I guess ProTools isn't offering any incentives to gain Cakewalk users. 

While I assume there may always be smaller players in the DAW market, these may be the most sustainable 2, and a new learning curve in all, its the sustainability thats a big part of my decision as well as sharing same file formats, I dont want to go through years of relearning a third time after this.   

Cheers

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

kevmsmith81
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 15:42:18 (permalink)
JohnEgan
In general, frustrating, also I wished I would have created a restore point before installing any of them, got some weird things going on now, so weeding out all the crap that installed with demo's, and that isn't removed using uninstall, at least I did make an image backup prior to most.
While not 100% sure it was, I think CuBase (although not knocking software) was the most invasive in making unknown or requiring system changes to function, aside from all the authorizing to demo a limited version, it required making changes to personal Windows/GUI setting, i.e., Aero background themes required and no high contrast setting allowed or wont start, (which I use for my vision issues), and activating Windows sounds, also requiring USB dongle to demo full version, so not even sure of full functionality and costs $$ just to demo. This is important to see which and how existing VST's and VI's function within softwares. 
Also ProTools requires to buy ILOK3 $$ just to demo full version to use your own VST's and VI's, also I guess ProTools isn't offering any incentives to gain Cakewalk users. 

While I assume there may always be smaller players in the DAW market, these may be the most sustainable 2, and a new learning curve in all, its the sustainability thats a big part of my decision as well as sharing same file formats, I dont want to go through years of relearning a third time after this.   

Cheers

I won't touch anything which requires ILOK.  Seeing as you have to pay for one of those ILOK things before you even get to needing to pay for the software which requires it.  I get the anti-piracy element, but to me that's just an incentive to find alternatives to buy.
soens
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 16:28:42 (permalink)
Well, I'm certainly no safer using software that requires a USB $lothog!
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 16:49:18 (permalink)
I demoed Cubase, DP, Samplitude, Mixcraft, and Reaper.
Watched many hours of Video Tutorials for each.
Mixcraft is a no go for me, it failed the "loop back" test;
maybe I couldn't find the "use reported latency" setting?
I use midi for drums (EZD and Superior 3), keys and about 50% for bass (but I'm not a "power user").
Reaper is the only one that I quickly "warmed up" to.
I reinstalled Samplitude (all the "insane deal" raving and the fact that many I respect seem to lean that way)
and made sure I hadn't "missed" anything; nothing to see there for me.
I find midi editing much easier and intuitive in Reaper; (but maybe I am ADHD; nah, I passed that test).
The one thing in Reaper I found "lacking" is "bouncing" tracks;
the whole "render" thing is taking a little getting used to, for me.
Copy/Paste is a little "klugey" as well, compared to what I'm used to.
I will say this, I'm "anchored" to SPlat and feel sure that my systems are "safe" even if/when the servers die.
I've yet to verify it, but if aux tracks are the issue with going back to X3;
I'll slowly make sure all projects have an "aux free" back up.
I'm not saying you'll have to pry my dead cold fingers from SONAR, but until it "fails" me;
SONAR will remain my go-to DAW.

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 16:51:49 (permalink)
Ableton Live has been far more stable for me the last few years than Sonar...
TheWholeDamnZoo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 22:45:07 (permalink)
soens
Well I've had every one crash or completely disappear at one point or another while working in them. Probably due to plugin issues. There is no "stable" DAW that I can tell.

I mostly use Ableton Live and never had such issues. I don't know which DAWs you use but have you rules out problems with your system or hardware?
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 22:49:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Marshall 2017/12/20 20:57:12
Studio One is seriously stable. Probably far more stable then Sonar in fact. Something Sonar users might not be used to.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
DaGeek
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 23:26:26 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Studio One is seriously stable. Probably far more stable then Sonar in fact. Something Sonar users might not be used to.

Not for me - yesterday just playing one of the demo projects all of a sudden the screen sped up and went totally crazy UI wise without me touching anything. Also have had a few dropouts from time to time, though rare. Cubase, Samplitude, Digital Performer, Mixbus and Reaper have all worked like champs. To be fair, Sonar has never been reliably stable either.

Cakewalk by BandLab | Sonar Platinum | Gigabyte Z370 AORUS GAMING 7-OP  | Intel  Core i7 8086k CPU | 16 GB Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Focusrite Forte

CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 23:28:28 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

Agreed.  I have a few days on Studio One now, and ease of setup is amazing, it's rock-solid so far and the workflow is pretty good.  I don't like how it shows effects in the mixer view, I like Sonar's effects bins much better, but it's workable.  No weirdness so far, things seem to work much more smoothly than the other DAWs I've tried.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
DaGeek
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/18 23:39:52 (permalink)
CoteRotie
Jeff Evans

Agreed.  I have a few days on Studio One now, and ease of setup is amazing, it's rock-solid so far and the workflow is pretty good.  I don't like how it shows effects in the mixer view, I like Sonar's effects bins much better, but it's workable.  No weirdness so far, things seem to work much more smoothly than the other DAWs I've tried.

I absolutely LOVE how it puts all the effects for the channel in a tabbed dialog when you click on one of the effects to edit. Makes it so much easier to cycle through each and tweak. Not sure if you can override that behavior or not. Wish the other DAWs had that. 

Cakewalk by BandLab | Sonar Platinum | Gigabyte Z370 AORUS GAMING 7-OP  | Intel  Core i7 8086k CPU | 16 GB Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Focusrite Forte

StevenMikel
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 319
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/19 01:30:39 (permalink)
 I've been using Cubase LE AI,it came with my interface.I like it so far,it hasn't given me any problems and,after watching a few videos,I don't have any trouble working with it.It's got all of the basic functions I need and it lets me use all of my 3rd part plugins.I was disappointed when I tried Studio One Prime and it wouldn't let me use my plugins.
 I just downloaded the demo of Studio One 3 Pro and will be trying that out for a few days.I tried Reaper and just wan't feeling it,I might give it another shot though.I tried it once a few years ago when it had just gone to version 4 and didn't have any problems then.
 I'm strongly considering Cubase because I'm already familiar with it,the only thing I don't like is having to use the elicenser. The other reason I'm considering Cubase is because of the VST,Note Expression. One of my favorite things about Studio One is the splitter function.
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/19 02:20:18 (permalink)
kevmsmith81
I won't touch anything which requires ILOK....

Ditto!

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/20 14:59:40 (permalink)
I managed to crash the un-crashable Studio One. Several times. I have also crashed Samplitude once, but that was caused by a plugin, not the DAW itself.

SONAR, OTOH, is rock-solid and has been for years.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/20 16:24:05 (permalink)
FWIW, I've got just about all the main DAW applications for PC... and I don't find any of them particularly unstable (including Sonar Platinum).
Most issues are with plugins...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/20 16:29:24 (permalink)
I get the comments about iLok.

But... one nice thing is that you don't have to deal with challange/response (authorization).
In my case (due to my career), my main studio machine is almost constantly changing.
It's nice to not have to constantly re-authorize all applications/plugins.  
Especially nice not having to worry about limited authorizations...
ie: As much as I like Samplitude, it's annoying to have to contact support once you've blown thru three authorizations.  An authorization system more like Studio One's (where you can remove unused authorizations) would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/20 17:43:16 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, I've got just about all the main DAW applications for PC... and I don't find any of them particularly unstable (including Sonar Platinum).
Most issues are with plugins...

That has been my experience, too. None of the DAWs I have used or tested have had any stability problems. Over the past 6 months I've used Reaper, Samplitude, and Mixbus; and this month I've done intensive testing of Studio One, Cubase, and Mixcraft.  In all cases, I don't recall a recent crash that was caused by the DAW itself, and in the case of Cubase and Studio One, I've had no crashes at all, so far...

The few crashes I did experience were all plug-in related, and most of the time it was a Sonivox plugin that seemed to be involved, for whatever reason. 

As for Sonar PLAT, there was a short time about a year ago when I was having issues, but they were related to hardware problems and had nothing to due with Sonar itself. Once I resolved those issues, PLAT was very stable and trouble-free. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/20 17:50:46 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Studio One is seriously stable.

I agree.

Not that it hasn't crashed on me at all, but nowhere near as much as SONAR did.

I was in my test project for getting on eight hours straight the other day (having no paid work has its advantages) and it never crashed one. CPU meter was running at around 45-50%.

Got segs on me arse though...

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/20 18:34:55 (permalink)
Have never had an issue - rarely with SONAR, never with any of the ones I've been trying (except Overture - but that's not really the full "DAW" we're talking about.)

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
denverdrummer
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/21 18:03:51 (permalink)
DaGeek
Jeff Evans

Not for me - yesterday just playing one of the demo projects all of a sudden the screen sped up and went totally crazy UI wise without me touching anything. Also have had a few dropouts from time to time, though rare. Cubase, Samplitude, Digital Performer, Mixbus and Reaper have all worked like champs. To be fair, Sonar has never been reliably stable either.

That's been my experience with Studio One as well.  I gave up on Studio One when it would constantly drop out in the middle of recording.  I haven't had to many problems with Sonar during recording, usually my stability problems were in mixing during playback, and there were some buggy things with take lanes, but I really enjoyed mixing far more in Sonar than Studio One, and doing anything MIDI related in Studio One is usually a 5 or 6 step process where in Sonar it was just a couple of mouse clicks.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
Jeff Evans
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/21 20:59:52 (permalink)
Depends on who you are talking to. Any major Studio One problems here are more than likely due to the users systems. I have had it installed on a Win 7 machine for 6 years and never had a crash. Especially in recording. Got it on an iMac as well now and same thing. It might have something to do with the ton of other Daw's you all have got installed.

Mixing for me is much nicer on Studio One than most other Daw's. Sonar feels clunky to me now mixing wise. Midi is powerful in Studio One too. Often many functions can be performed with way less mouse clicks in fact. It is people's lack of knowledge that mostly gets them into trouble.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/22 01:54:06 (permalink)
I frequently run upwards of 100 plugins with REAPER, using 64 samples latency 24/44 and have never changed my latency, frozen tracks, or done anything other than happily record tracks and not bother thinking about my DAW or any of it's settings.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/22 03:54:30 (permalink)
Studio One refuses to stay locked on to my Focurite 18i8. very frustrating.
denverdrummer
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/22 04:01:38 (permalink)
djwayne
Studio One refuses to stay locked on to my Focurite 18i8. very frustrating.

Same problem with the 18i20.  Even worse when I tried to record with my Behringer XR18 on live shows.  May just not like 3rd party hardware.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
Jeff Evans
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/22 04:09:57 (permalink)
I have got a Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen ( as well as my main audio interface) and it works perfectly for me. Have you got the latest version of Focusrite Control installed. I think it is 2.18 right now.

Many of the problems being mentioned here are just not a reality for me. Sounds like other parts of your system maybe causing the issues.

denverdrummer
Re: Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! 2017/12/22 04:20:01 (permalink)
1st gen on mine, so it's 1.8 FW level 634

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1