Helpful ReplyOvercoming addiction

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/08 15:08:54 (permalink)
Voda La Void  I find that hand movement creates slop, and that keeping it in place while the fingers work makes it tighter and cleaner. 

Great tip...

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/10 01:16:35 (permalink)
I'm not into either or .If I  want to use a pic I will use one if don't I wont

For the record ...I have been hybrid picking since the mid 70 's ...

here is a perfect example of a musician that can blend finger-style techs while still using a pic .

Enjoy ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

JohnKenn
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/10 03:22:32 (permalink)
Thanks Kenny,

Doing most of this already but not nearly as elegant. 3 and 4 finger hammering simultaneous notes or a country twang holding the pick with thumb and first finger. Already got the guy's routine down. Trouble for me is just to throw out the pick entirely.

Friend came by today to receive his guitar repair. Demonstration was there for the guy to listen to, but required a pick to deliver the message. Knee jerk reaction still. Got to get past the mind set that a pick is needed for anything. So many more technical horizons out there if the damnable plastic triangle can be cast away as an obstructive thing of the past. Problem is that old habits die hard.

John
kennywtelejazz
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/10 05:24:15 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Thanks Kenny,

Doing most of this already but not nearly as elegant. 3 and 4 finger hammering simultaneous notes or a country twang holding the pick with thumb and first finger. Already got the guy's routine down. Trouble for me is just to throw out the pick entirely.

John

if you can already play like Julian Lang what the hell are you doing here asking us questions ?
I would love to see a video of your playing John backing that claim up

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

JohnKenn
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/10 18:00:02 (permalink)
Hey Kenny,

Think you interpreted me wrong. Not putting myself in the same league with the kid.  I’m not that good a player by today’s standard. Can hold my own in a studio but mediocre at best (self analysis). Meant that I’m proficient enough with the clawing third and fourth finger while holding a pick, and want to get that comfortable with no pick.

But yeah, would be honored to upload a couple mp3’s I’m working on. Wanted to finish some info on arthritis first. One song with a pick and some finger flips and twirls in the late lead section. Can’t pull it off or get the guitar tones without a pick. Will upload a second song done entirely without a pick, and that something I can’t do with a pick. Goal is to get comfortable with either approach.  Lemme know what you think and any suggestions are appreciated..

John
JohnKenn
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/11 03:17:20 (permalink)
Hey Kenny, dear brother,

Hope this finds you well. Got an mp3 to throw at ya if I uploaded it right. Little tune called Widow’s Walk...

https://ufile.io/dz7tv

Pick with a couple finger involvements but cannot get the crisp ring if no plastic triangle in the process especially in the short lead near the end.

Superior Fake Drummer in the back as a place keeper til can be replaced. Bad job of using a garbage can for a short section of drums before the lead.

As always with about any of us, we do okay til we open our mouths and try to sing. Don’t need no advice to work on vocals since it is obvious.

The tune is good though and could be elegant with proper musicians and production.

All guitars are a Mexican strat with neodymium pickups, isolated bridge pickup.

Intent going forward is to redo or clean up the vocals and extend the lead motif in shorter segments earlier into the song. Is mediocre at best, but all of us here are only treading water anyway in the bigger picture.

Got a finger picking ramble to upload soon as well.

John
kennywtelejazz
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/12 01:45:12 (permalink)
I'm sorry John , there is a lot too much going on there in your clip regardless of pick vs no pick for me to comment .

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

JohnKenn
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/12 02:21:01 (permalink)
No problem Kenn,

Was just an example, but hard to tell in the brainless flair what was a pick or not a pick. Took both pick and fingers to pull it off. Disguised it as well as I could to make everything blend together. Still missing content. Speed is there but not significant content or hi road innovation to something new and fresh. Why I am the patron saint of mediocrity and will always be until I can't hang on to mediocrity any more as a guitar banger.

It has been a wild and crazy ride however. No regrets.

John
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/12 12:23:55 (permalink)
Cool song John, lots of potential.  I like the vocal effect on it, too, fits nicely.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/12 13:30:16 (permalink)
Interesting tune. Lots of good fast stuff at the end.This is the kind of pickin' I thought you mean't. I did this on bouzouki capo'd to G. I finger pick zouk. This is uncommon with 8 stringed instruments. Though it might sound like I used loops or made a loop and stringed it I didn't. The mix works best on headphones. Cheap computer speakers won't do it justice.

https://soundcloud.com/st...eltic-starise-new-land

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

JohnKenn
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/12 23:31:09 (permalink)
Voda, Starise,

Appreciate your feedback. I haven’t figured out if the vocal effects are a blessing or a curse. Over the years, good musicians have told me some tune is okay but could I cut back on the flanger on the vocals, which I overdo in every song. Problem is there is no flanger on the vocals, it’s a built in artifact. Think I inherited it when the Bee Gees came out and I was inspired by their vocal style. Up til then, singers did vibrato on the voice. These guys did tremolo. Practiced as hard as I could until the tremolo became second nature and lost the vibrato ability. Double tracking a voice for me now injects a flange that I can’t take out. Got to practice to get back in tune though.

Starise, your Celtic clip is excellent. Took me awhile to recognize something familiar there in the style, and got to wonder now if you are the reincarnation of Harry Chapin.

Said I’d post a finger pick tune. Chords are simple. Pick style is simple, uncomplicated, but a major right hand burn out to keep it going for over 4 minutes without mistakes that are overly obvious.

Just to share some crazy techniques used in “Spinnet”

There is a young kid in Portland, brilliant audio engineer with a 150k ProTools based studio. State of the art everything. He does the recordings and the final mix is to take the pristine digital session and render it onto a 1970’s Revox half track tape machine.

I got inspired to see if the opposite approach would work.

Spinnet was recorded on a Teac 4-track to get real analog warmth. Did a temp background of nature sounds taken from a genuine 33 vinyl record mixing several sequences. Everything old school. Then mixed into Reaper, noise floor extracted with FIR, then harmonics added back in. Analog to digital. Plan to replace the LP sounds with digital real sounds and see how that comes out.

4 tracks for the guitar. Two Ebows for the drone. Two for the finger picking. Used a badly mutated old Gibson single coil SG.

https://ufile.io/r2kb1

John
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/13 14:47:01 (permalink)
A very nice "shimmery" effect there going on . Nice! 
The vox. Maybe untrain yourself on that. Works for some things well. 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/13 16:05:57 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Voda, Starise,

Appreciate your feedback. I haven’t figured out if the vocal effects are a blessing or a curse. Over the years, good musicians have told me some tune is okay but could I cut back on the flanger on the vocals, which I overdo in every song. Problem is there is no flanger on the vocals, it’s a built in artifact. Think I inherited it when the Bee Gees came out and I was inspired by their vocal style. Up til then, singers did vibrato on the voice. These guys did tremolo. Practiced as hard as I could until the tremolo became second nature and lost the vibrato ability. Double tracking a voice for me now injects a flange that I can’t take out. Got to practice to get back in tune though.

You know, I wondered about that.  As I was listening I thought I was hearing close mic singing with a lot of vibrato, or tremelo, I guess.  But I wasn't sure and decided it was some effect you were adding.  

That's actually a pretty cool technique.  I know what you mean though, you don't want it on everything, but it's cool that you can do that.  It makes it kind of signature for you.  I'd roll with it.  But maybe add the skill of a cleaner style too, for when it's not appropriate to use the John Kenn vox technique.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
JohnKenn
Re: Overcoming addiction 2018/06/14 02:48:03 (permalink)
Thank you guys. Think the lesson and task ahead is to learn to unlearn.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1