PACE again

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 19:56:11 (permalink)
You have to put the dongle up your butt too? Now I'm really scared! Seriously though, paying a third party software protection entity $30 a year to protect someone elses rights to the software to gain access to your legally aquired copy is just excessive and and opportunistic robbery. IMHO.
When you put something up for sale on the public market and don't require special accreditation to obtain it, you can't choose your customers unless you are willing to refund their investment in your product, at their choosing.
Piracy is much more advanced than the dongle. Practicioners of theft of intellectual property that know how to circumvent security proticols don't give a damn either way. It's not like your DAW is on a computer at the library. The whole security by use of a coded dongle is just too much pomp and fluff.
ORIGINAL: OldGeezer

ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

Unfortunately Sonar can't choose its users

Obviously not....Who'd choose users with chips on their shoulders and dongles proudly up their butts?

Craig DuBuc
OldGeezer
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 20:47:18 (permalink)
Of course! Steinberg wants to monitor all possible cracks.

And I agree 100%

Personally, I think the main reason Cubase 4 hasn't been cracked is that there are just too many more popular apps and games that are in far more demand...The crackers probably just don't consider it worth the effort. Then again, maybe the more people that brag about its uncrackableness, someone will take note and do it just for the challenge.
kubalibre
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 614
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 21:22:09 (permalink)

If you want the best sounds, you join the pros and get an iLok. It's a fact of life.

absolutely true!

---------------------------------------------
all crash on the louspeaker
OldGeezer
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 21:24:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kubalibre

If you want the best sounds, you join the pros and get an iLok. It's a fact of life.

absolutely true!

Not true.

Topic closed.
kubalibre
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 21:31:18 (permalink)

Not true.

Topic closed.

Another misinformation agent in the free forum wilderness.. lol

youshouldhaverun
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 21:31:58 (permalink)
la la la

...and then my friend you die.
Paul Russell
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3892
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 21:32:08 (permalink)
Name a pro level 24 bit sampler that runs native x64 that's not protected by iLok.

Paul Russell 
Calamity Studio and on Facebook

OldGeezer
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 21:35:09 (permalink)
I don't know about x64 (I haven't felt the need to make the leap), but I've always assumed the best sounding libraries were made for Kontakt 2 and 3, and I'm pretty sure my Kontakt doesn't need a dongle...or is Kontakt not "pro level"?
kubalibre
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 21:43:55 (permalink)

Name a pro level 24 bit sampler that runs native x64 that's not protected by iLok.

Kontakt 3.5 will be released VERY soon. It´s native x64.

I hope you are not refering to Motu Mach5 2. That´s the worst sampler ever, no need for protecting this piece of garbage.

Gigastudio.. discontinued. GVI as well. ;./

Paul Russell
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 21:48:15 (permalink)
Geezer

I also have K2 and K3. Neither of which run very well in Sonar x64. Ni promised an x64 beta of K3 in Dec 08 - looks like that slipped.

With K3 you're still tied to the Service Center. which is a lot more inconvenient than the iLok.

The difference between you and me here is that I am actually doing this stuff, and have actual real world experience of both iLok and Challenge Response systems. Whereas you obviously don't. 'Always assumed' is not a good platform for a debate based on fact.
post edited by Paul Russell - 2009/01/04 21:51:36

Paul Russell 

OldGeezer
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 21:59:50 (permalink)
I'd rather have the Service Center than a dongle any day. I don't need to have experience with one to understand that I'd need a piece of hardware taking up a usb slot in order to prove I'm not a thief, or to read about the many complaints from others regarding dongles...and contrary to what you've stated before, those who refuse to buy dongled software do not necessarily download warez. I'll never submit to buying a piece of hardware for the privilege of being able to use software I've paid good money for, but I've bought every piece of software (or license to use said software I guess) residing on my hard-drives. (edit: with the exception of a few freeware plugins that I don't use now that I have S8 PE...which I bought). I couldn't believe you said that.

BTW....can YOU name any pro-level sampler that runs in 24 bit/x64? Giga? That's the only other pro-level sampler that I know of, unless you count propriety sample-players for individual libraries...and even then....?
post edited by OldGeezer - 2009/01/04 22:04:12
Paul Russell
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 22:04:58 (permalink)
I run Play in x64 with full 24 bit EWQLSO, QL Pianos, VOP and Gypsy. They sound better than anything in my K2 or K3 libraries, of which I have several. My sample drive (that's not songs, that's just sample sets) contains over 800Gb of proprietary and other sample sets and when I upgrade my DAW (every 24 months) it's a major hassle with the challenge response systems. Search 'Kick Ass Brass' on this forum. The iLok plugs go in flawlessly. The cost is negligible compared to the opportunity cost lost when you're dicking around with stupid challenge response systems. Your 'in principle' stance is fine, but in the real world there are other factors to consider, especially in a studio that charges money for people to use it.

Paul Russell 

OldGeezer
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 22:15:45 (permalink)
Ok, though I'm loathe to admit it, I can see your point. In my fake world, it's just a hobby, and buying expensive software is a big enough deal without the need to pay for dongles, and the only Kontakt library I own that requires activation is Prominy SC, and that just gets activated in Service Center along with Kontakt (never had a problem...I don't like it either, but it's free and takes a minute). Same with all my other software. I guess if you're in a studio with tons of software, I can see how it could be convenient, but it'd be even more convenient not to have to screw around with any CP schemes at all. At around 60Gb (9 DVDs), I can't imagine anyone posting Prominy SC, or most other modern (ie. Humongous) libraries.

Whatever works for you man.
heystudios1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 22:39:44 (permalink)

I run Play in x64 with full 24 bit EWQLSO, QL Pianos, VOP and Gypsy. They sound better than anything in my K2 or K3 libraries, of which I have several. My sample drive (that's not songs, that's just sample sets) contains over 800Gb of proprietary and other sample sets and when I upgrade my DAW (every 24 months) it's a major hassle with the challenge response systems. Search 'Kick Ass Brass' on this forum. The iLok plugs go in flawlessly. The cost is negligible compared to the opportunity cost lost when you're dicking around with stupid challenge response systems. Your 'in principle' stance is fine, but in the real world there are other factors to consider, especially in a studio that charges money for people to use it.

A little self righteous aren't we?

There are many (paid ) professionals here that choose not to use pace

This sounds like the old pro tools deal.....only pros use it....NOT true!!
post edited by heystudios1 - 2009/01/04 22:42:25
Paul Russell
RE: PACE again 2009/01/04 23:04:38 (permalink)
The arguments against iLok fade away once you start using the higher quality sample sets and instruments available that use it. There's nothing self-righteous about that.

And as I've said before, in terms of time/cost/value, iLok is the industry standard that offers a simple way to authorise multiple plugins in a couple of minutes, instead of spending hours (and in one case, weeks) authorising Challenge Response systems. If you value your time (which is, after all, the commodity that we sell), these factors should be considered.

Also, consider this. With an iLok system I can put all my samples and protected VSTs on a USB or Firewire drive, go into any studio I like and plug into their Sonar, Cubase or Nuendo, plugin my iLok and instantly run my entire system on another DAW. You can't do that with Challenge Response.

Paul Russell 

OldGeezer
RE: PACE again 2009/01/05 10:34:01 (permalink)
Coincidentally

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64439

Mention an I-Lok problem on the EastWest forum, you get banned. Now that's the way to treat a customer (and hide dongle annoyances from public view)!
post edited by OldGeezer - 2009/01/05 10:37:58
inmazevo
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3276
RE: PACE again 2009/01/05 13:19:41 (permalink)
I actually found dongles far less convenient than "activations."

I suppose for two reasons:
- 100% of my activated software is licensed for installs on AT LEAST two machines... a few of them are three, and my IK stuff is five. That means I can fire up my lappy or my desktop (they're not licensed for simultaneous use, obviously) and NOT move the dongle (which in my experience should be stored internal to the machine, or on the back at the very least so as not to be broken, etc.).
- I don't have to reinstall/reactivate for days on the same said machines... I have backups for that, and they always work fine (despite the fact that people keep telling me that when I upgrade my hard drive and restore a backup it should ask me to reactivate... but in 6 years I've only seen that with one Adobe app... Premiere Pro 1.5, and I considered it a bug... which they fixed, as it hasn't happened since).

I'm cool with people not minding dongles, but it's fascinating to see it put out that they're more convenient that activations, since that's a personal call. For me, they just aren't more convenient at all... quite the contrary. Others have the opposite opinion... I'm fine with that. It's to be expected that different people have different opinions, experiences, and expectations. Right?

Perhaps instead of each of us insisting that the others agree, we should accept reality and move on.
If you want dongles... cool. They're available for you.
If not... cool. There are alternatives.

I don't think either camp is right or wrong in these debates, nor do I think either side holds a monopoly on quality or "pro" setups.

Take care,
- zevo
post edited by inmazevo - 2009/01/05 13:22:45
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: PACE again 2009/01/06 08:15:25 (permalink)

Coincidentally

Mention an I-Lok problem on the EastWest forum, you get banned. Now that's the way to treat a customer (and hide dongle annoyances from public view)!

In the same boat here - questioned a couple of their business decisions (credit card being charged on pre-order for product when delivery was known to be 6 months to a year off in the future - I'm talking upwards of $3k) and Doug Rogers blackballed me. They don't want to hear about problems with their product - you tell them something's wrong, supply evidence to document your concern - you get ignored and then banned if you bring up the subject again.

Jack
Qapla!
OldGeezer
RE: PACE again 2009/01/06 10:27:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jackn2mpu

Coincidentally

In the same boat here - questioned a couple of their business decisions (credit card being charged on pre-order for product when delivery was known to be 6 months to a year off in the future - I'm talking upwards of $3k) and Doug Rogers blackballed me. They don't want to hear about problems with their product - you tell them something's wrong, supply evidence to document your concern - you get ignored and then banned if you bring up the subject again.

Yeesh! [Mental note: Never buy anything from EastWest!]
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: PACE again 2009/01/06 11:03:50 (permalink)

The difference between you and me here is that I am actually doing this stuff, and have actual real world experience of both iLok and Challenge Response systems. Whereas you obviously don't. 'Always assumed' is not a good platform for a debate based on fact.

Now that's quality debating!

The Maillard Reaction
RE: PACE again 2009/01/06 11:09:22 (permalink)
not to mention:

best,
mike

OldGeezer
RE: PACE again 2009/01/06 11:13:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

Now that's quality debating!

You may have missed the part where he stated that, with regards to I-Lok, there are "so many 'in principle' stances from people who really don't want to admit that they download warez themselves". Fortunately, I don't hold grudges, but I thought that was the most notable quote of the bunch. If one refuses to buy dongled software, one downloads warez? Classic!
The Maillard Reaction
RE: PACE again 2009/01/06 11:29:29 (permalink)
Oh I caught that... I've read the whole thread.

I feel Mr Russel has crossed a line... and it is my choice not to take offense or make much of it.

I see this attitude as a symptom of selfishness, insecurity, and greed. When one is caught up in that head space they may not be in a position to think or communicate clearly. He is clearly preoccupied with the "competition"... whom ever that might be.

Boasting about a 800GB sample library as if that and an ILok amulet somehow gives one authority to insult some of us that simply record actual pianos and actual strings and have no big sample library to flash around seems like a lot of unneccessary braggadocio.

best regards,
mike

edit for clarity
post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/01/06 11:49:42

NYSR
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1550
RE: PACE again 2009/01/07 16:28:56 (permalink)
As dedicated as I am to never using PACE I might conside iLok. But there is a part of me that wonders if that is me just being stupid again.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1