Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2011/04/26 22:15:09 (permalink)

Please Don't Be Stupid

Hello Citizens of Songville,

I've a little song i wrote a few months back but couldn't get the vocalist i wanted to sing it.  Turns out she died 25 years ago.  I'll have to update my fantasies.  It's about coming to an impasse in marriage and all the wretched soul searching that goes with the place....and finding a tiny strand of the Golden thread that wove the relationship in the first place, and letting it lead you out of the dark tunnel.

I'm sure it's needing some primming and pruning but i want you to hear it anyway because songs are no fun unless they're heard.

Please Don't Be Stupid
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=826274&songID=10571243

Thank you for stopping in to listen....feel free to leave or not leave a critique/comment/latin translation/cake recipe...

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull

54 Replies Related Threads

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/26 22:21:15 (permalink)
    Cool song, Rick! The low end energy is a bit over the top though IMO.

String Jammer
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/26 23:28:42 (permalink)
    I like this Rick, I hope it's not an biography :-( divorce is the bane of modern society... People throw each other away like a piece of wadded up Kleenex. The country as a whole would be a lot better off if people throught twice about it, and then thought again... I liked the song, but it made me sad.
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/04/26 23:41:50

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/27 10:14:34 (permalink)
    It sounds a bit muddy.  There is too much reverb either the vocals or the drums. 

I like the melody and great message! 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/27 10:36:35 (permalink)
    Incredible songwriting. i'll leave the eq and compression and pitch etc to everyone else.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/27 12:07:11 (permalink)
    This is a special song that has an important message.  I'd work at really clearing up those vocals and percs, removing the various FX.  As it is, it's too difficult to distinguish those wonderful lyrics.  Don't let this song sit around - this can be a great song and I liked it a lot!     

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    Serious Noize!
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/27 13:22:16 (permalink)

This sounds great!!! Excellent!

Serious Noize

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/27 13:31:21 (permalink)
    Rick:

powerful stuff. Might wanna think about the drums: they are so slight that they kinda ride the top of the bass line, instead of propelling the song.

+1 on the low end being boomy.
    tomjeff76
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/27 20:39:50 (permalink)
    Excellent song writing.

"We two, split halves of a whole lot of hurting broken one." Great, great line.

TomJeff

My Songs

Yamaha MM6
    Line 6 Tone Port UX2
    Korg PadKontrol
    Music Creator 4
    EZDrummer
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/27 20:56:19 (permalink)
    Great lyrics and a real nice vocal performance. I'm listening on cans, and I'm not hearing some of the issues others have pointed out about the low end. Maybe you've tweaked it already, but it sounds good to me. Nice work here. You have a very unique talent pal.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    No How
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/27 22:12:58 (permalink)
    It's a true delight to have all you busy artists pop in to listen.

Scotty~ Thanks very much for the listen.  i did some serious toning down and sharpening on the low end to articulate and to smooth out.  i hope it's better (i can not really tell)

Robby~ It is a slice of my life but fortunately we've weathered many a typhoon and it's only brought us closer and more inseparable.  I'm really glad you like it.  Thank you.

Vicente~ It was a bit muddy and i honed the bass and did some eq carving around the drums too.  Vocals needed some sharpening so i put a filter on them...not sure yet if it's the right move but i can check it tomorrow when my ears have recuperated.  Thank you for the keen ears and kind words.

Tim~ Very kind of you to say so.  I'm elated you stopped in for a listen (and that you like!)  Muchas Gracias! 

John~ Hello and thanks for the suggestions.  I did do some sprucing up (3 hours) and hopefully it's started to rise.

Bobby~ Thank you for the listen and kind comments.  I'm glad you liked!

James~ I nudged the drums slightly to get them a hair ahead of the bass and i have been tinkering with the low end for hours.  I hope it's getting sharper.  Thank you for popping in to lend a helpful ear!

TomJeff~ I am so glad you got to hear this and that my ragged soul has touched you.  What else can a writer ever want???
    Thank you.

Randy~ Hey there, sir!  I'm honored you liked the singing.  It always makes me pause.
    I did a lot of tweaking to all kinds of things so I hope i didn't go overboard. It is terribly nice to have my song in your ears.  Thank you kindly!

s o n g s

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/29 14:22:54 (permalink)
    another winner. i'd like to hear the vocals a little more distinct and upfront, very hard to decipher lyrics (says me, lol). some nice chord changes, i like the sense we are listening in a massive empty space.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/29 17:23:44 (permalink)
    Love the song!!!

I hear a lot of room effects and proximity in the vocals though. Did you sing very close to the mic in a very small room? The vocal track is very nicely performed, but I'd experiment with a few more mic/angle/distance/damping combinations and do the vocals over again, if you're up for it!

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/29 21:09:57 (permalink)
    listening on my computer speakers and the bottom booms quite a bit.

I like the song and the writing is good.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/30 13:59:18 (permalink)
    There is a really good song in here.  As noted the bottom end is a little strong and the middle seems lite to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/30 14:44:24 (permalink)
     Really cool tune.  I enjoyed it a lot. I would have to agree, a bit too much verb on vocals.

Me

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/30 21:37:52 (permalink)
    Hi Rick.  Another very cool song.  The lyrics are real grabbers and the performance is done in your usual creative and terrific manner.  In my listening the vocals were a bit unclear but then again I have really lousy equipment.
    Great song writing.

Freddy J

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/04/30 23:04:11 (permalink)
    Glad to see you around here again.  :)  This is quite nice...great lyrics and good vox.  I'd like to hear the vox a little more distinctly...but I'm listening on a laptop, so...  Wow... the ending is great.  You're just full of talent, Rick.  Nice one! 
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/01 11:35:48 (permalink)
    wow... great song... I love it... I'll be singing this all day...
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/01 13:00:20 (permalink)
    Your recording and musical techniques are what make you so special to me, not to mention the songwriting.  A "RickNoHow is always something I look forward to.  This one is very special.  Speaks to many of us.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/01 16:07:08 (permalink)
    Rick, this song was so well written, it hurt to listen to it (yeah... divorced here too), but that's what makes it such a great tune.  Well sung, but I think I'd like to hear the vocal a little better defined, if that makes sense.  I had to skip down to the lyrics, and they're so good that they should ideally be easy to hear.  Overall, an excellent job.
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/01 17:15:10 (permalink)
    Rick

Very well done!

Ron
    No How
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/02 09:29:14 (permalink)
    "another winner. i'd like to hear the vocals a little more distinct and upfront, very hard to decipher lyrics (says me, lol). some nice chord changes, i like the sense we are listening in a massive empty space."
    Hi Mark......I appreciate the listen and critique.  I boosted vocals and added a high pass to them to clarify.  I hope it's working.  Thank you.

"Love the song!!!
    I hear a lot of room effects and proximity in the vocals though. Did you sing very close to the mic in a very small room? The vocal track is very nicely performed, but I'd experiment with a few more mic/angle/distance/damping combinations and do the vocals over again, if you're up for it!"
    Hi Sven......I did record fairly close to mic in a space surrounded with big sofa pillows on chairs to deaden.
    I'm hesitant to redo vocals because i'm psychologically far away from that place right now and am frightfully leary of re-entering it.  Thank you for the helpful notes and kind words!!!

"listening on my computer speakers and the bottom booms quite a bit.
    I like the song and the writing is good
    ."
    Hello Herb......I took a huge amount of low end off per yours and other's notes.  I hope it's better.  Thank you for stopping in to listen.

"There is a really good song in here.  As noted the bottom end is a little strong and the middle seems lite to me.
    Thanks for sharing
    ."
     Wook.....I lightened up the boommmminess.  I'm always happy to share with folks like you.  Thank you!

"Really cool tune.  I enjoyed it a lot. I would have to agree, a bit too much verb on vocals."
     Grant....thank you for taking time to listen.  You're right.  I took off some verb, added a filter and vox sound much better (i believe).  Thank you!

"Hi Rick.  Another very cool song.  The lyrics are real grabbers and the performance is done in your usual creative and terrific manner.  In my listening the vocals were a bit unclear but then again I have really lousy equipment.
    Great song writing.  
    Freddy J"

Hey Freddy......It's not your speakers it's my impetuous reckless engineer.  Drunkard he is!!!  I fired him and remixed with more clarity.  Thank you for the kind words!

"Glad to see you around here again.  :)  This is quite nice...great lyrics and good vox.  I'd like to hear the vox a little more distinctly...but I'm listening on a laptop, so...  Wow... the ending is great.  You're just full of talent, Rick.  Nice one!"
    Janet.....I'm so glad you liked this sad song.  I love sad songs.  It's a way of getting the sad OUT of me.  I worked on clearing up vocals.  i hope it's better. Thank you for the nice works of encouragement. 

s o n g s

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/02 17:52:54 (permalink)
    Excellent song.  I love sad songs too.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/02 21:32:46 (permalink)
    Incredible song, Rick.

Powerful lyrics and great vocal delivery...no crits here.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/02 22:25:25 (permalink)
    Due to the sincerest mature and deepest melancholy vibe I can float sweetly with this (as I'm the melancholy type).

I don't think you could have chosen a better lead vox, personally (except, possibly, moi ... haha ... the King of Melancholy Mountain).  When I groan from the foundations, this is how I'd typically execute a sketch.  IOWs, a raw groaning love-battle.

Yup, in my current state of distraction, this is my fav of yours to date.

On 2nd listen, I'm focusing on the psychedelia, another personal fav which drowns well with this.  Still my fav!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    No How
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/03 08:11:43 (permalink)
    Thank you to all who had a listen....It's the 9th remix since i put the song up a couple days ago.  You folks are very helpful!

"wow... great song... I love it... I'll be singing this all day... "
    Frank..........That's really nice to hear.  Thank you!!!

"Your recording and musical techniques are what make you so special to me, not to mention the songwriting.  A "RickNoHow is always something I look forward to.  This one is very special.  Speaks to many of us."
    Hello Warren......You always give me fuel that carries me over all my huge roadblocks.  That's good stuff.  Thank you kindly for your kind and supportive words!

"Rick, this song was so well written, it hurt to listen to it (yeah... divorced here too), but that's what makes it such a great tune.  Well sung, but I think I'd like to hear the vocal a little better defined, if that makes sense.  I had to skip down to the lyrics, and they're so good that they should ideally be easy to hear.  Overall, an excellent job."
     Hi Phil...............Thank you, sir!  i appreciate your listening an comments.  i worked on clearing up the vocals with some filtering and less verb. 

"Rick
    Very well done!
    Ron"

Hi Ron..........Thank you for stopping by to have an ear! 

"Excellent song.  I love sad songs too."
    Mark......I'm really glad you liked this.  Thank you for coming by to have a listen! 

"Incredible song, Rick.
    Powerful lyrics and great vocal delivery...no crits here
    "
    Hey Gary..........Thank you for the listen and kind comments!  I appreciate mucho.

"Due to the sincerest mature and deepest melancholy vibe I can float sweetly with this (as I'm the melancholy type).
    I don't think you could have chosen a better lead vox, personally (except, possibly, moi ... haha ... the King of Melancholy Mountain).  When I groan from the foundations, this is how I'd typically execute a sketch.  IOWs, a raw groaning love-battle.
    Yup, in my current state of distraction, this is my fav of yours to date.
    On 2nd listen, I'm focusing on the psychedelia, another personal fav which drowns well with this.  Still my fav!
    "
    Hi Philip..........I'm glad you're okay.  Life IS a "groaning love battle". :)
    The vocals are always hard for me.  Especially these up front naked ones.  Hearing you approve and that it's a fave makes my day.  I'm very grateful for your attentive ears and dazzling comments. 

post edited by No How - 2011/05/03 11:49:56

s o n g s

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/04 08:37:26 (permalink)

The master songsmith at work.

There's plenty of matches left in your box.  And there's plenty in here that just love it when you come in here and light one.

Thank you Rick.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    No How
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/04 12:55:28 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

The master songsmith at work.

There's plenty of matches left in your box.  And there's plenty in here that just love it when you come in here and light one.

Thank you Rick.
    You're too kind.  Don't spoil me.  You know how i get.
    I am delighted you had a listen and I'm shining you liked it. 

Thanks, mate.....made my day.  :)

s o n g s

julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Please Don't Be Stupid 2011/05/04 14:59:24 (permalink)
    Great Lyrics, Rick!  Sorry your friend wasn't available, but I do like what you've done with it.  Very personal and yeah, melancholy.  Well suited to the song.  Very nice.

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1