Helpful ReplyPlease add an LFO tool!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/06 23:11:12 (permalink)
forkol
I would generally agree with that, but IIRC, you've been a big cheerleader for tools like the new EQs and Vocal Align features, both of which were available through other means.

There's a difference between core features and plug-ins. Including those plug-ins make SONAR more of an all-in-one package precisely because new users don't have to acquire them through other means and be forced to spend extra money. They were also available for sale to Mac and Windows users, independently of inclusion in SONAR.

I had nothing to do with the decision to create them, but I'm glad I have them in SONAR and don't have to spend the money on something similar from a different company.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/06 23:34:15 (permalink)
sharke
You gave [the OP] a solution which does not lend itself to convenient tweaking and experimentation, which most people will do in order to get a modulation effect to sound "just right."

Re-read what he asked for. He wanted to deep square tremolo to pan from left to right. I gave him what HE asked for, not the solution for a feature that YOU want. 

A short audio example is irrelevant.

That's all I need to know.

I've never said "OMG, an LFO is a horrible idea!" All I did was question how many people care about it. There will always be a vocal minority who are really passionate about a feature that no one else cares about. I don't know if this falls under this category or not, so I asked a question.

I offered a solution that did what the OP asked for, asked a question about the general importance, showed how to maintain a constant level when drawing periodic waveforms, took the time to make a video showing "corner case" ways to user drawing tools, and in the process, got issued "challenges" when all I offered to do was try to find a way to produce the same kind of MUSICAL result you wanted in SONAR. 

I'm not saying that the drawing tools don't have their place, or that there aren't edge cases in which the drawing tools are better...I get where you're coming from in that the drawing tools aren't completely useless.

Thank you. That was my entire point. 

I on the other hand never said that LFOs were "horrible." I said that I question how important they are to people. 

A convincing musical example of great sounds made possible only through the use of LFOs modulating mixer parameters would have helped, but I guess that's irrelevant.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/06 23:59:03 (permalink)
To be fair though Craig, it seems that you didn't read the OP closely enough - he wasn't asking for a deep square pan, he said that his pad and power chord already have a deep square tremolo, and that he wants them to swim from right to left and vice versa (at least that's how I read it). So the deep square tremolo seems to be a superfluous detail that didn't really have anything to do with the LFO. And his wider point was that he would like some kind of LFO tool in Sonar. He wasn't asking how to do it with an envelope, in fact he stated that he knows he can do it like that. He didn't even mention drawing tools - Sanderxpander brought that up. So the discussion, as directed by the OP's request (and the title of the thread) was about whether or not Sonar should have an LFO tool built in. 

So then the question became "would an LFO tool be useful in Sonar." Which led me to point out that proper LFO tools are far easier to use, much easier to tweak on the fly and therefore more useful in a creative sense than automation drawing tools. That's why I issued the "challenge" FWIW. It was to show that periodic modulation as a creative tool is much more convenient when you have proper LFO controls. And I stand by that. When using LFO modulation in The Drop, I will sit for ages getting just the right amplitudes and phase settings for the musical effect I'm after. And it's not always "quantized" values either - oftentimes I will find that a phase value of something like 68 or 147 degrees is the value that "hits the spot." And if I want to ramp up an LFO's amplitude over time, I can do that with straight line in the automation lane applied to the amplitude control in the plugin. 

I on the other hand never said that LFOs were "horrible." I said that I question how important they are to people.

And herein lies part of Cakewalk's problem. Its user base is aging, and I don't see a lot of young folk picking it up. LFO's are a huge part of modern production, especially in the electronic styles, and this is where DAW's are picking up their new user base. The young bedroom producer. I pay close attention to those communities, and Sonar is not seen as an option by kids who want to start making electronic music in their bedrooms. Other DAW's are tapping into that market successfully, and I've always held that Cakewalk needs to do a lot more to rectify this. Even the young "real bands" are utilizing these modern production techniques in their music. It's not uncommon to hear electronic/synth elements mixed with real instruments these days. 

I browse the Sonar user group on Facebook sometimes. It seems to be mainly guys of my age (40's) and over. That's just an observation. Which is fine, as someone who's obviously no spring chicken I'm not going to knock Cakewalk's older meat and potatoes user base - I just think that questioning how important LFO modulation is to Sonar's existing user base loses sight of the fact that an injection of revenue from new young producers is going to benefit everyone in the long run. It would be prudent for Cakewalk to pay more attention to features like this even if most of the older guys here on the forum don't see a use for them. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 00:29:52 (permalink)
the tremolo was just one example.  i know there are multiple ways of doing that. 

I hate the draw tool.  And if I wanted to sync two LFOs to MIDI, i am guessing the draw tool would require calculations (bars to time) to do. 

All I want is a small LFO tool, with maybe 3-4 waveforms and the ability to route it anywhere in a track.  Filter, pan, volume (for an extreme on off tremolo), ...

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 00:31:01 (permalink)
Thanks James - you seem to understand.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 00:38:40 (permalink)
Handed over my degree yesterday as part of a work permit application. 1997, flippin' 1997. 20 years ago. I am that 40 year old Sharke now describes. The music I listen and play to now, isn't the dance music I made back then. I liked DnB for a good while (still) do, and dubstep sprang from that. Just hearing those bassline now, I can see Sharke's point completely. I can't see why Craig is so resistant. A lot of small features I see demand for, Craig seems to digs his heels into. I see only one person arguing against in the thread, because he likes the way it works.

I seem to recall the same battle with recording synth outputs.

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 01:11:02 (permalink)
sharke
It's not uncommon to hear electronic/synth elements mixed with real instruments these days. 

And hasn't been for what, 45+ years now? Even Kraftwerk's early stuff (including Autobahn) mixed "real" instruments with ("real" hardware) synths. Most of the surviving psychedelic/electronica originators and pioneers are now in their 60s and 70s, and some are making a more electronic kind of music than ever before and appealing to a very wide age spectrum. That the people on stage might be old enough to be their grandparents doesn't seem to matter to lots of younger people now, though it did to the youth of the 50s, 60s and 70s. Maybe it's because some of the boomer generation have refused to grow old gracefully :-)

sharke
I just think that questioning how important LFO modulation is to Sonar's existing user base loses sight of the fact that an injection of revenue from new young producers is going to benefit everyone in the long run. It would be prudent for Cakewalk to pay more attention to features like this even if most of the older guys here on the forum don't see a use for them. 

Well, I'm in my mid 50s and I've wondered for many years why Sonar doesn't have a MIDI LFO plugin that sends CCs and can be routed to any function that can be MIDI controlled. It seems to me such an obvious thing to have, and some DAWs already do.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 01:26:20 (permalink)
Kamikaze

I seem to recall the same battle with a request for a basic, integrated sampler. Coincidentally, Cubase 9 came out with a new Sampler Track a couple of months after that.

Cakewalk has given us a number of nice freebies this past year, so I'm not complaining. Plus, there's more on the way!
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 01:30:01 (permalink)
Kamikaze
Handed over my degree yesterday as part of a work permit application. 1997, flippin' 1997. 20 years ago. I am that 40 year old Sharke now describes. The music I listen and play to now, isn't the dance music I made back then. I liked DnB for a good while (still) do, and dubstep sprang from that. Just hearing those bassline now, I can see Sharke's point completely. I can't see why Craig is so resistant. A lot of small features I see demand for, Craig seems to digs his heels into. I see only one person arguing against in the thread, because he likes the way it works.

What you see as "so resistant" I see as Craig yet again looking for ways to do something with the tools within Sonar. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Yes I'd like an LFO but there's a ton of things I'd rather have much sooner than an LFO. And in the meanwhile, I always learn something from Craig's posts. All good.
I think many see Craig as maybe having a bigger vote in how Sonar progresses than they do. "Oh no - Craig's against it - we'll never get an LFO (staff view, etc, .....)". Not the case as I understand it. Just an uber user trying his damnest to help the community.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Anderton
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 01:36:08 (permalink)
Why is ANYONE assuming I'm against an LFO tool? I haven't said ANYTHING that would lead anyone to believe I am against an LFO tool. If I misinterpreted what the OP wanted and didn't solve his problem, then that's my error. What I am against is saying that tools that are useable and have value are "horrible," then posting a video that's intended to show how horrible they are when I've never experienced those kinds of problems drawing a periodic waveform.

I personally do not see an LFO tool as a huge priority compared to other feature requests that are relevant to ALL SONAR users of any age or musical inclination, like better controller support. This is why I ask questions about how relevant it is to people, instead of assuming that just because I consider something important, everyone else must think it's equally important. Also, not all newbies are interested only in beats, and people over 30 do know what beats are. Google "DJs over 40" sometime. I'm not into prejudice or stereotyping.

And yes, I was initially opposed to synth recording because I didn't see any arguments that made sense to me. Once it was implemented, I used it in a way that NO ONE had suggested as a reason to use it. I still don't use it for any of the reasons other people wanted it. If someone had suggested my particular application, I would have been onboard from the gitgo. 

And before someone says "Aha!! See? If you had an LFO tool, you'd use it!!" Well duh, when a tool is introduced I learn how to use it and if I can use it, great. I'm sure I would use it at some point. But is it vitally important for me to have it? No. I use plenty of synched modulation in my music, thank you.

Last time: I am not against having an LFO tool. I am for using any tool to its maximum potential, including those already bundled with SONAR.

This is all about priorities, so I'll let you guys argue with the people who want better controller support, an improved staff view, variable speed, better MP4 video support, more arranging tools, a mastering page, DDP export, track sampler, new MIDI effects, parallel effects in FX Chains, having clip waveforms follow clip gain, etc. as to which is more important. I suspect an LFO tool would be relatively low on the list, but if I knew the answer, I wouldn't have asked the question.

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 01:36:35 (permalink)
Craig,

I'm sorry, but I think you're kind of missing the point. I mean no offence at all, but you not feeling the need for an LFO plugin that can be used to control any MIDI accessible control in a DAW, including the "mixer functions", doesn't mean others don't or that you can achieve the same results by drawing envelopes.

I can think of quite a few uses for such a thing, and I'm certain someone with more imagination than me (and there are millions of such people out there) will come up with lots of uses that never occur to me.

Envelopes. Yes, it's possible to draw regular LFO-like functions as envelopes. Sort of. But if you want to experiment with different wave-forms, different LFO frequencies or simply change the envelope it involves a lot of work. And there are things that are seriously difficult to try and do by drawing envelopes.

Here's one example.

Let's say I decide I want a sine curve modulating a "widget controller" over two bars. OK, I can draw that. It's a bit of a pain if I want to try it over four bars as well, but let's assume two bars does the trick.

I now think "what would happen if I tried a frequency modulation on that envelope? How about a rising sawtooth over a period of an eighth note but with low amplitude? OK, let's try making that another sine instead.... and how about I ramp up the speed so the original wave period becomes two bars in this section.....?"

Drawing that kind of thing is slow at best and involves an awful lot of maths to work out the shape of the wave at best.

Use an LFO that can itself be modulated by another LFO and it becomes simple. Or at least the only difficulty becomes getting the LFO settings right, not drawing and re-drawing complex (or even simple) wave-forms.

And that's just scratching the surface. Not everyone thinks in tems of "a guitar sounds like and does "this", a piano sounds like and does "that"". And as for "whooshing" not being to your taste, millions of guitarists, synthesists and record buyers clearly disagree about that. Personal taste shouldn't enter into whether what someone finds a musically useful tool is provided or not.

Developing something like Logic's MIDI LFO and envelope plugin shouldn't be too onerous I would have thought. It's not even like it needs to be able to generate a sound. Be useful if it used more than the "ordinary" 128 7-bit MIDI steps though, maybe 14-bit instead. Not that 14 bits worth of values is likely to be needed, just something smoother than 128 to avoid the stepping problem.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
sharke
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 01:37:30 (permalink)
tlw
sharke
It's not uncommon to hear electronic/synth elements mixed with real instruments these days. 

And hasn't been for what, 45+ years now? Even Kraftwerk's early stuff (including Autobahn) mixed "real" instruments with ("real" hardware) synths. Most of the surviving psychedelic/electronica originators and pioneers are now in their 60s and 70s, and some are making a more electronic kind of music than ever before and appealing to a very wide age spectrum. That the people on stage might be old enough to be their grandparents doesn't seem to matter to lots of younger people now, though it did to the youth of the 50s, 60s and 70s. Maybe it's because some of the boomer generation have refused to grow old gracefully :-)

Yeah I know that synths have always been played with real instruments. What I meant was (I didn't explain it well enough) was that the modern EDM production techniques of today are also being integrated into music of all genres. And the whole area of sound design has gotten a lot more complicated and involved what with the routing and modulation possibilities we have available to us today. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 01:56:58 (permalink)
Anderton
Why is ANYONE assuming I'm against an LFO tool? I haven't said ANYTHING that would lead anyone to believe I am against an LFO tool. If I misinterpreted what the OP wanted and didn't solve his problem, then that's my error. What I am against is saying that tools that are useable and have value are "horrible," then posting a video that's intended to show how horrible they are when I've never experienced those kinds of problems drawing a periodic waveform.

I guarantee you that if you asked 50 random Sonar users to use the shape tool to draw a sine curve of a specific size, position and shape, they'd have to screw around for ages to do it. That's what I'm talking about. Maybe "horrible" is a strong word, but then again, it's a word that springs to a lot of people's minds when they try to use a tool that's fiddly. One of the problem with drawing accurate shapes to order is that they are very sensitive to where you put the mouse. Like when you want to start a sine curve from 00:00:00 exactly, there's that uneasy feeling that you need to have the mouse pointer bang on target when dragging vertically to set the amplitude, and there's that grey area when the pointer is changing from the border dragging icon to the drawing pointer. It's so easy to be a little off in your mouse positioning and end up with something like this:

Not everyone is good with a mouse. I find it hard to work with very small and fiddly margins of pointer error sometimes. Same thing when I'm using Adobe Illustrator. 

I personally do not see an LFO tool as a huge priority compared to other feature requests that are relevant to ALL SONAR users of any age or musical inclination, like better controller support. This is why I ask questions about how relevant it is to people, instead of assuming that just because I consider something important, everyone else must think it's equally important. Also, not all newbies are interested only in beats, and people over 30 do know what beats are. Google "DJs over 40" sometime. I'm not into prejudice or stereotyping.

Yeah I'm well aware that there are plenty of people in their 40's and 50's who are into electronic music. I'm one of them. After all, the electronic dance music scene exploded in our youth, the late 80's and early 90's. Virtually everyone I know from back then is still into it. And yes, I know that not all newbies are into "beats." But that's where the bulk of the new DAW users are coming from - electronic bedroom production. The main reason being that you can produce complete commercial sounding tracks from start to finish on a laptop with a pair of headphones, wheres recording real instruments and bands is a whole different kettle of fish which involves a lot more investment, commitment and physical space. Like it or not, this is where the bulk of today's new DAW revenue is coming from. 

This is all about priorities, so I'll let you guys argue with the people who want better controller support, an improved staff view, variable speed, better MP4 video support, more arranging tools, a mastering page, DDP export, track sampler, new MIDI effects, parallel effects in FX Chains, having clip waveforms follow clip gain, etc. as to which is more important. I suspect an LFO tool would be relatively low on the list, but if I knew the answer, I wouldn't have asked the question.

But nobody is saying "we want an LFO tool instead of those things." It's just another suggestion in the long list of very useful things which would be great to have in Sonar.

James
Anderton
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 03:20:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundwise 2017/06/07 08:06:48
sharke
But that's where the bulk of the new DAW users are coming from - electronic bedroom production.

The sales figures for music software that I've seen do not confirm that. It's a number of users that's of interest, but far from the bulk.

But nobody is saying "we want an LFO tool instead of those things." It's just another suggestion in the long list of very useful things which would be great to have in Sonar.

By definition, anything you want prioritized pushes something else further down the stack.

As to music, here's the reality. This mirrors the info from the IMS I attended two years ago (which I was asked to attend because of my long history with EDM, FWIW).

The people responsible for making 81% of the music that's consumed make music in those genres. That's the reality. I started doing "live performance DJ" gigs in Europe in 1999 and in the states shortly thereafter, but that's not where the majority of the market is at all. I'm okay with that because I like all kinds of music. But once "Simplicity" is released this week, my next project (with a 2018 release) will be "Joie De Vivre" - my attempt to re-invent EDM, which I feel has become stale because all those bedroom producers are using the same tools in the same ways. It is precisely because I don't want to sound like everyone else that I will be using SONAR.

None of this is to say more EDM-specific tools wouldn't be welcomed. I just don't feel any lack of same gets in the way of doing whatever I want to do musically.

sharke
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 04:10:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2017/06/07 04:17:53
The sales figures for music by genre are not likely to mirror the breakdown of new DAW customers by genre. 

First of all, the vast majority of people represented in that pie chart do not produce music. And like I said, certain genres of music lend themselves naturally to bedroom production, whereas others are more likely to be produced in professional studios. I am almost certain that electronic styles, whether it be dubstep or big room EDM or IDM or any of the other genres and sub-genres of electronica are more heavily represented among new DAW customers than rock music. There are a lot of bedroom hip hop producers, but they are just as likely to use electronic production techniques and fancy processing. Recording a rock band is a huge undertaking compared to making an EDM track, at least in terms of equipment and space needed. Rock tracks are not, by and large, being recorded in people's bedrooms. I'd hazard a guess that there are more bedroom based DAW customers than there are professional studio based DAW customers. 

The reason why EDM is perceived as having become stale is because the relatively low cost of getting started in EDM production has spawned thousands of more producers than there were before, many of questionable musical talent (go on any EDM forum and listen to endless questions like "How do I make a melody? How do I know which chords to put?"). The result is that there is a sea of very generic, musically bland EDM produced by kids who might have decent mixing skills but their sense of melody and harmony is very dull and unadventurous. The same was true to some extent back in the early days of house and techno - there were some really crap records floating around - but there were much less of them. Now what with the ease of access to music via streaming platforms, we're swamped with mediocre EDM tracks. You have to wade through oceans of it to find the good stuff. But there are also some very interesting producers out there. I'm not a fan of dubstep for example, but some of the arrangements I hear are insanely complicated and inventive. 

Anyway, the point is that regardless of overall listening habits, bedroom producing is heavily weighted toward electronic/sample based music, and that is what is driving new DAW sales (which must have skyrocketed over the past 15 years compared to what was being sold before). First-time DAW users are a young crowd in general, and they're just not making rock music as much as they're making EDM. Older DAW users are more likely to be "locked in" to their DAW of choice, and are a harder sale.

James
forkol
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 182
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 04:32:05 (permalink)
How that graph is sectioned off is a bit misleading.

I would look at that graph another way:  You COULD lump R&B/Hip-Hop, Pop, and EDM into one bigger class, a class that generally (and I mean generally) is known for using DAW's/plug-in's as primarily in a production environment as 'Bedroom Producers' (and not mixing/mastering only) and those genres would definitely find something like an LFO tool, slicers/samplers, etc useful.  If you do that, then the number is now at least 45% of ALL music, not even including parts of Rock and Pop that are using more EDM/Poppy type production techniques.
Kamikaze
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 05:21:30 (permalink)
I was looking for an indication of UK (As I know bedroom producers of Dance music has been a big thing for over 2 decades, and not for rock), Europe and worldwide, from the same stat source (Neilson) from the year before.

https://www.musicbusiness...ca-rb-rules-streaming/

Kamikaze
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 05:33:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundwise 2017/06/07 08:06:53
http://www.digitalmusicne...download-and-physical/

Contains this, but some others that contrast

I: Genres That Perform Best on Streaming

(Percentage of overall sales within each genre that come from Spotify, Apple Music, SoundCloud, YouTube, Deezer, Rhapsody, Tidal, et. al.)

Wibbles
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 07:41:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/06/08 21:40:50
For a minute I thought I'd logged into KVR by mistake.

I'm not quite sure what US music listening habits have to do with how useful an LFO tool would be, but I think it is a great idea. The amount of time it could have saved me in the past, and the amount of fun that could be had moving forwards...

LFOs in FX Chains would be nice. But that leads to another wish list. 

I appreciate that Sonar has the tools for manipulating my audio, midi, controllers and so on in any way I could want, but sometimes those tools are a little bit cumbersome to use. 

I'm off to see the Wibble, the wonderful Wibble of Wobble

SergeQ
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 16:16:34 (permalink)
Anderton
There already is an LFO tool...to elaborate on what Sanderxpander said, check out the waveform options in the automation Draw tool. What you can do with them is more flexible, useful, and customizable than what you could do with an LFO.

This "draw tool" is absolutely useless for people who wants REAL control - for EDM especially.
We need LFO(midi) clips that can be created and customized in fast way.
Yes i can do this with FL Studio, but...

Anderton
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 18:22:14 (permalink)
Regarding complaints about the pie chart, ultimately what matters in determining whether bedroom music producers is a market worth pursuing is sales figures. Pro Tools by itself, which is hardly an EDM program, way outsells FL Studio, Ableton Live, and Reason combined. Add in the other not-really-EDM programs along with Pro Tools, and you get the picture - one which although it doesn't correlate exactly to the pie chart, is not that far off. 

Mind you that I love EDM and have been making that kind of music for decades. I think it's really unfortunate that Draconian local laws designed to close clubs in the 90s didn't allow dance music to flourish in the United States to the extent that it has virtually everywhere else in the world. However it's not the only kind of music I like. This is why I have both SONAR and Ableton Live, because each excels at functions that the other doesn't. Of course, it would be very convenient if one program had everything needed to make any kind of music, but so far no program has been able to achieve that ideal and I don't even know if it's possible. 

Put in a feature request, try to define what's needed as precisely as possible (asking for "an LFO tool" is open to a lot of interpretations - I interpreted it as being able to create LFO automation waveforms, so it would be important to specify that it has to be real time with the option to record as automation), and see what kind of a response it gets. If there are a lot of positive comments, and Cakewalk doesn't have to rip the Console apart and start from scratch based on a more synthesizer-based matrix modulation model, then it could happen.

sharke
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 18:56:23 (permalink)
Pro Tools almost completely dominates the commercial studio market, so if it's outselling other DAW's then that has to be a huge factor. The other DAW manufacturers know that there is little point spending their marketing budgets on trying to usurp Pro Tools from its commercial domination, so they're all fighting each other for the biggest share of the non-pro market instead. I'm guessing Cakewalk's strategy meetings aren't centered around getting commercial studios to ditch Pro Tools. They're focused on amateurs and semi-pros instead. Of course they're always going to use the fact that some professional mixer or composer uses Sonar in their marketing content, but it's hardly a parade of industry names is it. 

If you have sales figures for all the major DAW's Craig then how about sharing them? I wasn't aware that the likes of Image-Line, Cakewalk and Ableton shared their sales figures publicly, so I'd be interested to know where you got them from. 

James
Anderton
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 19:00:28 (permalink)
And since you won't have an LFO tool tomorrow, while you're waiting...

This article tells how to use the Z3TA as a signal processor specifically for rhythmic effects. It does arpeggiation, arpeggiated LFOs, tempo-synched effects, works in real time, has MIDI learn, etc. etc. It even has an envelope follower. Because it's an audio plug-in, anything the mixer can do (level, panning, processing signals going to or returning from sends, etc.), it can do. 

Of course this is not an LFO Tool per se, and yes you do have to set up matrix modulation within the processor instead of having everything normalized (although you can always save presets), but that's why I keep inquiring about musical applications. If you want to control panning in multiple ways, in real-time, with MIDI learn, and automate levels with a ruler-flat automation line, I don't think there's a difference in the end result between using a plug-in to do the panning and controlling the panner on a console with a dedicated tool.

Yes, I know this isn't what y'all want in terms of having a pre-configured, plug-and-play solution, so please, don't go there. But for those of you who are willing to put in a little effort programming the effect you want, it will give you most (if not all) of the same results while you're waiting for whatever it is you do want to come along.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 19:06:12 (permalink)
Craig, thank you for keeping in the spirit of this forum area. This area is intended to discuss how to use SONAR NOT feature requests. Threads here get buried pretty fast.

To create a feature request fill out this form http://bakery.cakewalk.com/Post/Idea
To vote and discuss feature requests go to http://bakery.cakewalk.com/Ideas/Latest
To read more about this area go to http://bakery.cakewalk.com/How-It-Works

Anderton
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 19:11:52 (permalink)
sharke
Pro Tools almost completely dominates the commercial studio market, so if it's outselling other DAW's then that has to be a huge factor.

It's not really. The number of commercial studios is small compared to the total universe of Pro Tools users. 

The other DAW manufacturers know that there is little point spending their marketing budgets on trying to usurp Pro Tools from its commercial domination, so they're all fighting each other for the biggest share of the non-pro market instead. I'm guessing Cakewalk's strategy meetings aren't centered around getting commercial studios to ditch Pro Tools. They're focused on amateurs and semi-pros instead.

It's nowhere near that simple by any means. Pro Tools has a lot of "soft" support, e.g., the people who jumped to Logic when the price went to $199, and the ones who jumped to Studio One, Ableton, and Cubase depending on their requirements when Avid implemented the Adobe "subscribe or die" model.

If you have sales figures for all the major DAW's Craig then how about sharing them? 

I can't. It's copyrighted/proprietary/confidential information from MI SalesTrak that Gibson purchases at considerable expense. I can't even share it around Gibson. If you can find someone who subscribes, and persuade them to share the info with you, you'll find my comments about the industry, market share, dollar share, etc. are fact-based. 

Wibbles
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 21:15:06 (permalink)
Regarding the pie chart: obviously, as you have had access to the actual sales figures, I accept what you say as regards to the popularity of the various DAWs. Thanks for the information.

However, it was a bit naughty to use information regarding the popularity of different arbitrary music genres in the US to support your assertions the worldwide popularity of DAWs.

Wibbles,
BSc Statistics

PS
EDM? I shudder at the very term. How is it the people managed to make what has now been reclassified as EDM decades before the term existed? 

sharke
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 22:03:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/06/08 21:45:44
Wibbles
EDM? I shudder at the very term. How is it the people managed to make what has now been reclassified as EDM decades before the term existed? 

Back in the day it was just called "dance music." Or "electronic music." I'm genuinely baffled when I hear people talk about how EDM has only just become a "thing," i.e. commercialized and successful. I started listening to acid house on and off in the late 80's and started going to raves through the early 90's, although we never called them raves, just "parties." They were either in abandoned warehouses, outdoors in the forest or on remote beaches, or in student houses (we'd have a different DJ on each floor of a 4 story house). It wasn't commercial at all and I don't recall ever paying for a ticket to one of these events - all very hush hush, sit in the pub until someone came in with a secret location written on a piece of paper, then it would be into the car and a long dark drive which seemed endless until eventually you'd hear a distant "thump thump" and see other similar cars full of wild eyed looking ravers on the road, then you knew you were on track. Very fun times. 

Sometime during the mid 90's the big superclubs like Cream and Ministry Of Sound started to take off and it was all a very different sound to the stuff we'd been enjoying before. It was more polished, less gritty, more vocal and poppy. Gone were the intricate polyrhythms and 303 mayhem. That was the point at which I felt it had become commercialized. It attracted a whole new crowd of people who had previously shunned the whole rave culture. And the music sounded very cheesy to our ears. The aesthetics started to change as well - gone was the psychedelic imagery of the early rave flyers, and now they were using ornate fonts and scantily clad girls to sell events. Then you had the big headed celebrity DJ's and stories of them doing lines of coke off girl's breasts backstage etc. 

So when I hear people say "oh, EDM really took off in the mid 2000's" or whatever, it's usually some young Millennial who clearly has no idea what the scene was like before. And much of the big-room EDM which kids are dancing to now is completely old hat. The production techniques might have changed but it has that cheesy, poppy club sound that the mainstream clubbers were bopping to at Cream in the 90's. In fact if you went back in time and dropped a current EDM anthem into the set at Cream in 1995, nobody would have batted an eyelid. 

James
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 22:08:41 (permalink)
Wibbles
PS

I've never understood the objection, but maybe the acronym is more common in the US. It's just an easy to communicate a type of music that is mostly synthesized sounds. In my mind, I think of it as Electronic/Dance Music because not all EDM is "dancey." I assume this is common knowledge, but maybe not.

It seems to me that all the genres and subgenres that fall under EDM are too numerous for the average person to keep up with or even care about.

Pardon the off-topicness.
Anderton
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 23:06:11 (permalink)
Wibbles
Regarding the pie chart: obviously, as you have had access to the actual sales figures, I accept what you say as regards to the popularity of the various DAWs. Thanks for the information.

However, it was a bit naughty to use information regarding the popularity of different arbitrary music genres in the US to support your assertions the worldwide popularity of DAWs.

Well, the correlation was pretty close...and in the public domain . BTW stats aren't perfect, because few companies are public, retail isn't much of a factor, and downloads can only be estimated. Furthermore, lots of people use cracks and that doesn't get measured at all. For example FL Studio is pirated massively, so it probably has a higher market share than sales would indicate...although I guess it's not really "market share" because it's not taking place in a market context.

Yeah, it is a dumb name...sounds like it should be associated with something like "EDM Roof Repair" or "EDM Tire & Brake."

Anyway, as to how we got here, at one point someone replaced "dance music" (and prehistoric variants, like the "twist," the "mashed potatoes," the "waltz," etc.) with "disco." Then that ran its course, the hi-hat was mixed down, and so the labels tried "electronica"...but that didn't stick. Then the whole category did the Darwin thing and mutated into more specific names, like House, Trance, Psy-Trance, Goa, Electronic, Hardcore, Hard Trance, Trance Over Easy, etc. No one could remember all these names, so someone got the bright idea of referring to all of it as "electronic dance music." However people have a hard time saying anything with more than three syllables, so it was shortened to "EDM." Next year it will probably just be "DM," and then, "M." You heard it here first 

Wibbles
Re: Please add an LFO tool! 2017/06/07 23:56:10 (permalink)
Hmm... I best not start arguing the toss over statistics on a forum about Sonar. 

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1