Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from me

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2011/01/19 19:21:15 (permalink)

Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from me

Hi guys

First off let me get you al up to speed this thread will be me asking you for help and also a big rant from me.

Ok so I live in a row of 5 houses and I am no 2 on the row the lady who lives at no one is lovely and I am haveing problems with the neighbours at No 3 on the other side of me.

I have lived here for 27 years the people next door moved in around a year ago  and have been causeing me problems ever since

I had a roland TD 6 drum kit I would practice on everyday then at the begining of the summer just past I got a Roland TD - 20 a friend of mine had never played one so I invited him up to have a shot but he wasnt able to make it til 8 oclock at night.

I went to my neighbours at No 3 and said I hope you dont mind but I have a friend comeing tonight to try my new electronic drum kit and I promiss to be no later than 9 oclock and this will be a one off! She replyed Norrie I didnt even know you played drums we have never heard you so dont wory about it. ( bearing in mind I had the td 6 before and had ben playing the Td20 for a few weeks by this point. )

So he came and played until 9 and all was well

The following week I was playing the kit at 2 in the afternoon with headphones on as I always do as I heard a banging on my front door and I went down and got a mouth full from the woman from number 3 telling me its all she can hear in her house and she is trying to read.
( any one who knows theys kits know they can cause vibrations and just a thuding noise)

I should let you know that there is 2 rooms between my studio room and the wall that joines our houses.

This now happens all the time with them comeing to my door and complaining or moaning about one thing or another ( strange after them telling me she never knew I had a kit )

I constantly hear her screaming at her children and I feel so sorry for them! Its so bad it wakes me up a lot but Ive never complained about any noise they have made.

Anyway her husband has recently started to complain about it aswell so hes been told to F off since no one has ever complained who have lived in that house before and just them.

This is happening a lot with the complaints now

Tonight I had mixed a track and wanted to listen to it on the computer downstairs with its little speekers and sub woofer it was 9:10 at night and I didnt have it up loud no louder than I would normaly watch a film in suround sound with the other sub on.

I hit play on the track and 1 min in to the song all I could hear was them my neighbour next door hiting the wall with something hard enough to make the ornaments on shelves on my wals start to move and fall off!!!!!

I am so dam angry and had to be perswaded not to go in and hit him like he was hiting the wall.

I plan to go see them tomorow and give them what for as I just feel like they are harrasing me now I suffer from Rapid cycle Bi polar and have recently been diagnosed I also suffer from Clinical Anxiaty so al this from them is makeing it very hard for me to get on with my day to day.

So I was hopeing some of you guys might be able to help point me in the right direction of a web site that will tell me the legality of sound limits and times etc that I can play and at what volumes in the Uk / Scotland?
I cant seem to find anything other than just how to complain about someone makeing noise

I never play loud and never play my accoustic kits in the house anymore I am so angry and pissed off right now

I hope some of you could please help with some info and advice

Thanks to all

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

38 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 19:26:47 (permalink)
    Norrie - f@&% them, get some lads and show 'em who's boss...

no but seriously errm...yep, same as above. sounds like you ain't doing nothing wrong. but no legal opinion i'm afraid

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 19:28:32 (permalink)
    Run....run like the wind ....life is too short to deal with stress from stupid people 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 19:36:57 (permalink)
    Hi Norrie.

With neighbours everything is much better if you can deal with them and get to some reasonable arrangement going between you, after all even if any legal procedure finds in favour either way you will still have to live with them, so bear that in mind.  If something like this ends up in court there are rarely any winners.

It might mean having to bite your tongue as  to how you really feel about them as for me the most destructive kind of anger is the 'justified' kind, which is the kind that tells me I'm completely in the right and inspires me to go and give 'em a piece of my mind.  IOW the type of anger that gets ME screwed up and then arrested...

Just do what you can to minimize any nuisance then they will have a hard job convincing anybody you are a noise nuisance, which they will have to do before they have a legal leg to stand on.

Below the border the legalities of these things are handled by your local council and the environmental health dept. so if you want the real low down, rather than the diverse and rich internet opinion low down, that is where to go.

But like I say do your best to keep them sweet, short of being bullied.

On a practical note because percussion instruments normally terminate at the feet of a stand they are prone to transmit impact through the floor, I used to use a cheap 8 X 4 plywood board (a few quid at B&Q) laid out over carpet underlay with a rug over the top which makes a big difference to the transmitted shock.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/19 19:51:37

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Norrie
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 19:48:46 (permalink)
    mgh

Norrie - f@&% them, get some lads and show 'em who's boss...

no but seriously errm...yep, same as above. sounds like you ain't doing nothing wrong. but no legal opinion i'm afraid

HAHA No lads needed..... this is a time when the BLACK BELT IN BASEBALL BAT comes in hand :P ( joking of course )

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 20:06:05 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Hi Norrie.

With neighbours everything is much better if you can deal with them and get to some reasonable arrangement going between you, after all even if any legal procedure finds in favour either you will still have to live with them, so bear that in mind.  If something like this ends up in court there are rarely any winners.

It might mean having to bite your tongue as  to how you really feel about them as for me the most destructive kind of anger is the 'justified' kind, which is the kind that tells me I'm completely in the right and inspires me to go and give 'em a piece of my mind.  IOW the type of anger that gets ME screwed up and then arrested...

Just do what you can to minimize any nuisance then they will have a hard job convincing anybody you are a noise nuisance, which they will have to do before they have a legal leg to stand on.

Below the border the legalities of these things are handled by your local council and the environmental health dept. so if you want the real low down, rather than the diverse and rich internet opinion low down, that is where to go.

But like I say do your best to keep them sweet, short of being bullied.

On a practical note because percussion instruments normally terminate at the feet of a stand they are prone to transmit impact through the floor, I used to use a cheap 8 X 4 plywood board (a few quid at B&Q) laid out over carpet underlay with a rug over the top which makes a big difference to the transmitted shock.

Hi Jonbouy!

I have tryed to get on with them for so long now and bit my toung untill recently.

I think the problem is whe ntey have been asking me to stop I have been stoping so now they have taken to actualy telling me to stop and being quite nasty about it thats when I told them to F off !

Theres only so much I can take from them on this I only play the Td 20 after 10 am and always make sure I never play after 6pm and I think this is very fair ( obviously I dont play all that time some days I dont play at all )

It has goten to the stage for them that they will moan about anything and since I dont do what they are telling me they have started banging on the walls.

I am just trying to find out if I am actualy doing anything wrong in all this as I dont think I am I have always tryed to be conciderate to the people liveing around me

Plan of attack though is to speak to my friend who is one of the local police here and find out if I am doing anything wrong. See if they can also tel me what noise levelsare are aloud and times etc thats what I am trying to figure out :S

Next time they bang on the wall or come to the door I will be seting up my full accoustic Kit and Pastie Rude Cymbals that are loud as hell and have a right good batter for a few hours

Maybe after they hear that they will realise it could be a lot worse ;)

I have done exactly what you said about the plywood I have my underlay then carpet then underlay on it again then Ply then under lay then a thick carpet its taken a lot of the vibration out of it and no one in my house has a problem with it

You can only just tell its going on downstairs when I have checked wth someone else playing it

How they can hear it through a couple of rooms and a brick wall I will never know lol

The lady on the other side there is just one wall between me and her and she said she can only just hear it and let me in her house to hear while got a friend to play This is when I decided the 10 am till 6 pm rule I told her and she said dont be daft play when I want but I think its only fair to do what I am doing

I think I am in the right just so angry right now.

Sorry for the rant guys

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 21:03:02 (permalink)
    Wow.... I feel your pain. I have had my share of neighbors that were "police callers" every time they hear music from my house.

You have 4 choices as I see it.

1. move

2. hope they move

3. kowtow to them and don't play music when they are home.

4. convince them you are psycho, and have them living in fear of you.

It will be interesting to see which one you choose.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 21:11:18 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Wow.... I feel your pain. I have had my share of neighbors that were "police callers" every time they hear music from my house.

1. move

2. hope they move

Seems to me a fine blend of 2, 3 & 4 might just work, too.
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 21:16:41 (permalink)
    Record them yelling at their kids. Then play it for them when they come over and complain.
    May be a bargain.....the best you ever had...

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 21:24:41 (permalink)
    I just saw a TV show about something similar to this.

This will probably be the only thing you can do short of moving.

Click here for video.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 21:47:27 (permalink)
    No solution I moved my studio because of unbelievable neighbour ranting.

Just remember that if they complain to the local authorities and they get enough complaints, in the UK they can impound your sound reproduction and source equipment.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    DeeS
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 22:20:46 (permalink)
    Wookiee

Just remember that if they complain to the local authorities and they get enough complaints, in the UK they can impound your sound reproduction and source equipment.

If that's the case you might want to leave the Country.

I had a friend that had the same problem. After many times of trying to come to a mutual understanding nothing seemed good enough for the sound sensitive neighbors.

He finally resorted to taking a dump in a paper sack and sitting it at their front door and lighting the top of it with a match. Knocked on the Door really Loudly and then Ran like the wind. Of course he stayed within eyesight of the front door so he could see them stomping the fire out.

Of course I wouldn't recommend you do this but he sure felt better the next time they came over complaining.

Vista Business x64 Service pack 2 - Intel Xeon X5472 @ 3.0 GHz processors (2) Quad Core - 8.0 GB ram  -  Creative SB X-Fi  -  Nvidia Quadro 5600  -  Sonar 8.5 & X1a Producer
    The problem with perfection is that it has no limits. Normally, once you obtain perfection, you realize how it could be better. David Gibson - The Art of Mixing
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 22:40:39 (permalink)
    Situations like that I've been involved in usually results in the cop saying something like "it doesn't matter what time it is; if they say it's too loud, it's too loud". That was in California, though.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/19 22:56:10 (permalink)
    Good fences make good neighbors.  Beat the crap out of them with a fence board.

But seriously, find out a time the mrs. isn't home, like 3 in the afternoon.  Next time they complain tell them you could just as easily complain about all the sex noise you heard coming from their place at 3 oclock.  They'll kill each other - problem solved.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 00:05:25 (permalink)
    Norrie,

You've lived there for 27 years, they've live next door for just 1 year, the issues have started since then.

They're always screaming at their kids.  The parents bang so hard on the walls it's knocking your things off the shelf, get a video capture of those things falling off the shelf.

You and those neighbours have already talked about the issues many times yet still unresolved thereby you have two choices.....

(1) Either you move out or (2) First up; I would also ask your other decent neighbor to write a letter of reference stating that they have no issues with you. Get a video capture of things falling off the shelf and then report this to the police and child welfare. 

Remember you have to live with them but they have to live with you (works both ways)!    I think you may have a strong case against the neighbours from hell, if your report (along with evidence) is successful they will receive a court order to stop abusing the kids and disrupting the peace, if they breach that order?, first up call the police, file the report, and from thereon it's bye, bye to the neighbours from hell and the kids may be taken for examination to check them for physical and mental trauma.

Norrie
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 03:17:09 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

1. move

2. hope they move

Haha 4. Could put a stop to it or at least give me a laugh :)

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 03:21:02 (permalink)
    spacey

Record them yelling at their kids. Then play it for them when they come over and complain.
    May be a bargain.....the best you ever had...

I have actualy planed to do that because her husband goes to work at 6 in the morning and then the screeming at the kids starts I dont think he knows anythign about it. Ihave never mentioned there noise before but I think this will be the time to do it.

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 03:27:19 (permalink)
    Wookiee

No solution I moved my studio because of unbelievable neighbour ranting.

I had read about that when I was trying to find out what to do

I am unsure if they can impound the equipment if the complaints are just from one neighbour the rest of the people that live around me I get on great with and there kids I say kids but I meen 18 + year olds come round some times to jam or record

Even the guy who lives 2 streets behind me and plays bag pipes in his garden gets no complaints from any one haha he likes to come down with a set of midi bag pipes to jam aswell :)

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 03:30:51 (permalink)
    DeeS

Wookiee

If that's the case you might want to leave the Country.

I had a friend that had the same problem. After many times of trying to come to a mutual understanding nothing seemed good enough for the sound sensitive neighbors.

He finally resorted to taking a dump in a paper sack and sitting it at their front door and lighting the top of it with a match. Knocked on the Door really Loudly and then Ran like the wind. Of course he stayed within eyesight of the front door so he could see them stomping the fire out.

Of course I wouldn't recommend you do this but he sure felt better the next time they came over complaining.

You wouldnt recomend I do it ? What about if I video it for you :P haha

(not me takeing the dump I may add )

Just the them stamping it out part

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 03:34:07 (permalink)
    marcos69

Good fences make good neighbors.  Beat the crap out of them with a fence board.

But seriously, find out a time the mrs. isn't home, like 3 in the afternoon.  Next time they complain tell them you could just as easily complain about all the sex noise you heard coming from their place at 3 oclock.  They'll kill each other - problem solved.

They built a fence between me and them thats above the legal limit and I said nothing aswel lol

haha the sex noise could be a good one infact I could record my own and post it to them haha

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 03:40:15 (permalink)
    SongCraft

Norrie,

You've lived there for 27 years, they've live next door for just 1 year, the issues have started since then.

They're always screaming at their kids.  The parents bang so hard on the walls it's knocking your things off the shelf, get a video capture of those things falling off the shelf.

You and those neighbours have already talked about the issues many times yet still unresolved thereby you have two choices.....

(1) Either you move out or (2) First up; I would also ask your other decent neighbor to write a letter of reference stating that they have no issues with you. Get a video capture of things falling off the shelf and then report this to the police and child welfare. 

Remember you have to live with them but they have to live with you (works both ways)!    I think you may have a strong case against the neighbours from hell, if your report (along with evidence) is successful they will receive a court order to stop abusing the kids and disrupting the peace, if they breach that order?, first up call the police, file the report, and from thereon it's bye, bye to the neighbours from hell and the kids may be taken for examination to check them for physical and mental trauma.

Thats a very good Idea about asking all the other neighbours to write a letter of reference ( I dont think they wil have a problem with that)

The video one is a good Ideas well I just hoped it would never come to this type of thing

Bullying her kids is exactly what shes doing screeming at a 4 year old because he cant spell some words shes telling him 2 and screeming at him because hes crying screeming dont cry about it and get the spellng right.

Poor kids .

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 03:52:07 (permalink)
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the replys

I will keep you al posted on what happens as I still havent seen them since last nights banging on the walls carry on

I was woken though at 7am again with screeming and banging from there house though

I am sure I will bump in to them at some point to day and as always they will have something to say

Life is to short so I am not going to let it bother me I am going to carry on with what I am doing because I dont think I am doing anything wrong

I will be geting a letter of reference saying that the other people around me dont have a problem and I will be talking to my friend the police man later today to see whats the worst that can happen and if they conact them with a comp[laint at least I hafve said about it to them.

We live in a very smal village just a couple of hundred people 99% of the people are awesome

Take care all

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 04:30:24 (permalink)

Seriously, it's getting towards bullying behaviour, if not already there. It does seem that you are doing more than your share to live your life and yet still consider your neighbours. Standing up to bullying always works but you have to decide what the fallout is likely to be and if you consider that to be worth the action.

All the tit-for-tat stuff, defensive activities involving getting to the police first etc will never work. People in this mind set just love the battle and it will firm up their resolve, unreasonable as it may be and continue to escalate.

Here's what I would do. I would tell them that any neighbours with adjoining houses have to have a certain tolerence for normal living / activities otherwise things get unhappy very quickly. However you are happy to match their new found intolerence and will refrain from any of the activities that appear to now annoy them for a period of time, say, two weeks. HOWEVER, in that time you will knock on their door and the walls if necessary to inform them of any living noises or activities that you and only you, deem to be at the same level or higher than any activity you may have previously undertaken. You have effectively turned round their actions on themselves, without giving them recourse to any reciprocal argument that you are doing the same. In negotiation terms, you have now provided yourself with something to trade with, whereas previously you had nothing. Its a key tactic of any negotiation strategy and works when dealing with either sophisticated or dumb 3rd parties.

Regards

Garry Kiosk

post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2011/01/20 05:09:16

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 12:29:03 (permalink)
    Norrie - short answer, as I'm about to go home - there's nothing they can do about it.

The police will not be in the slightest bit interested.

Your local council may intervene and issue a "Noise Nuisance" notification.

But they'll only do this if the noise you make is extreme, prolonged and repeated.

And they'll have to install "psecial listening equipment" (ok, a microphone) and monitor the sound levels over several weeks.

NOBODY in the UK has a right to total silence.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 13:25:03 (permalink)
    Your local council may intervene and issue a "Noise Nuisance" notification.

I think you will find they need three separate complainants to get this to run and it has to be sustained over a minimum period of three months.

You could of course prepare some form of evidence for yourself by recording their nosey activities so if the local authority do show up or write to you could send a suitable response.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 13:33:24 (permalink)
    Record them yelling at their kids.

I believe that is illegal in the UK. Invasion of privacy and all that.

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 13:35:19 (permalink)
    ericyeoman

seriously?  if I can hear it in my house it's illegal to record it?  that just seems wrong.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 13:37:29 (permalink)
    ericyeoman

Tricky but if you just happened to be trying to record a session, using headphones. and when you played it back they could be heard in the background you are not exactly intruding into their space.

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 14:04:36 (permalink)
    Invite Steve Strummer out for an overnighter.

Ask him to cook up some of his famous Chicken Vandaloo... and make sure he stays around long enough for the smell to linger.

They'll move sooner than later.

best regards,
    mike

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Please help! legal stuff about Volume levels and times of day in he UK and a rant from 2011/01/20 14:43:15 (permalink)
    Norrie, loads of information here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/NoiseNuisanceAndLitter/DG_10029682

Option 5 to add to Herb's list - ignore them

We live next door to a man who has consistently been banging on our door for the last 9 years.

We have tried to be compliant, we have acted in moderation, and the sort of volumes we've been listening to isn't that bad at all, in my opinion. Any legal action will ask the question - "are you being unreasonable, what would the reasonable man expect?"

We ended up with a community support officer calling around our house one Sunday morning after we had a little bit of a party on the Saturday. I say little, and it was - the music was no louder than about 70db in OUR house,and we finished well beofre 2am.

My wife spoke to the officer and said, "well, really, there's absolutely nothing you can do about is there?" And he said, yep, not a damned thing.

In this test, we passed with flying colours.

As long as you're not pumping out Drum and Bass at 120Db till 3 - 4 in the morning, your neighbours do not have a leg to stand on.

We have some friends who live about a mile and a half from us, and their parties DO go on until 3 -4 in the morning with D&B pumping at 120Db nearly every weekend, and their neighbours have stopped bothering about complaning now. They know it's a waste  of time.

Now, I'm not suggesting I condone this action, they are in my eyes being unreasonable, but the law is on your/our side.

As I said above, nobody in the country has a right to absolute silence, not even the Queen.

If you cannot resolve this on an equitable level, then just ignore them.

And every so often - DO have a blowout, make lots of noise and let them know just how bad it COULD be.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1