Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
2014/01/14 12:18:40 (permalink)

Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread

I run W7 and would like to make sure that my settings are optimal.  Currently, I've done nothing but disable my wireless adapter.
My performance may have been a little better prior to X3 and I'd like to check up on things.

Thank you!
James

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10

35 Replies Related Threads

riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 12:35:44 (permalink)
    You may not get as many replies or leads as you would have in the past because Windows 7 is pretty good out of the box.  I rarely tweak anything anymore, and I used to be a faithful follower of Black Viper and other similar optimizations.  They were necessary to squeeze performance from Windows XP, but not now.

About disabling the wireless adapter, wireless networking is a known problem with some systems, which you can confirm with the DPC Latency Checker (except for those who are running Windows 8, which isn't yet supported). 

The only tweak I do now is to alter the custom power scheme so everything is Always On.

One more thing, a blast from the past: there has been discussion about changing the Priority to Background Services, but this is not recommended by Cakewalk's Noel Borthwick.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    SubSonic
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 12:47:40 (permalink)
    I agree with post #2. Win 7 is pretty good (for me) as it came installed on my i5-based laptop. Mine is Win 7 Home Premium x64.

I will add that I do try to shut down basically everything that isn't needed, either through the task manager or the running-apps app in the task tray. My graphics card has an app I shut down, I also shut down my malware app (since I too turn off wireless and am not connected to the internet). Also I close my printer's TSR app. All that jazz.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio and has some INCESSANT nagware known as Vaio Messenger/VaioCare installed - and I had to shut down and disable that (it tries to phone home, continually). Same with Windows update - set all that crap to be checked manually so it doesn't try to phone home while you're working on something important in SONAR. Because even if you disable WiFi, it doesn't stop these apps from trying to get out to an update server anyway.
    Positively Charged
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 12:56:03 (permalink)
    Windows 8 and 8.1 are even better from a performance standpoint.

I no longer do any tweaking for any of my DAW software.  I don't even mess around with changing pagefile specifications or disabling internet or antivirus.

But I now have a 6-core processor with 64 GB RAM, so I have lots of resources available all the time.  The only thing I still do is keep separate disk partitions, but not for performance reasons.  Mostly just for organizational purposes and to keep my backups from taking three days to complete.  :)
    jb101
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 13:08:53 (permalink)
    I'm pretty much with every thing riojazz said.

I wouldn't bother with changing the Priority to Background Services either.

I'm sure many will come on here suggesting all sorts of misguided tweaks.  Just follow RioJazz's suggestions, and run LatencyMon and see what it says.

Sonar Platinum
    zapotec
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 13:31:09 (permalink)

AMD Phenom™ II 945 Processor, 16gig DDR3, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO MOBO, Win-7 64 bit,  Mackie SRM 450, J-Station, TASCAM Mixer, Roland SPD-30BK, Roland V-Drums; SONAR Producer. M-Audio Keystation. YAMAHA Acoustic Classical & Steel Guitars and a VS-100.  a whole bunch of stuff ...  not enough time!
    Ruben
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 472
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 14:02:14 (permalink)
    Win 7/8 are pretty good, that's for sure, but I still do a little tweaking to the services. For example, if you have Adobe Reader installed, you don't need the Adobe Update service running all of the time. Same with Apple/Google/etc update services, but then again this probably isn't an issue if your DAW isn't connected to a network.

And I always disable Windows Search, and Tablet Services (my DAW is a desktop).

Like in the link above, I also adjust my power settings and check to make sure the USB power settings aren't allowed to be turned off.

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 14:48:07 (permalink)
    IMO the tweaks and optimisations are mostly a thing of the past.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 14:55:19 (permalink)
    Good article linked by Zapotek.  However, as I mentioned, that last bit about the background services does not apply to SONAR.

Now that Ruben and SubSonic mentioned it, I also delete or disable some services that run needlessly on startup, like Adobe and Apple, if they "phone home".  I don't want anything non-Microsoft running on its own that I didn't ask for.  I don't consider these to be "system tweaks", however, because they involve application software, not system software.  I consider stopping Adobe etc. to be necessary defensive steps when dealing with certain software companies.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 15:04:10 (permalink)
    +1 to the posts about not tweaking. Depending on what you do with your machine (and programs loaded), about the only thing I would recommend is running "msconfig" and checking what is in the "Services" (Hide all Microsoft services) and "Startup" tabs. For me, hardware services I leave running (unless utility only), and software services are up to your discretion.

Win7 is very stable without tweaking otherwise... the custom power setting of "always on" is a good recommendation as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    SubSonic
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 15:12:28 (permalink)
    Good article by zapotec indeed.

#5 in that list (Deactivate Devices in the Windows Device Manager) is what I was harping on, and as riojazz says, is more tweaking than genuine "optimizing".

I turn off a lot of stuff - my touchpad (I have a mouse plugged-in), iTunes, onboard soundcard, WiFi, Bluetooth, anything Adobe, it's a pretty big list. My Win install has 100+ processes shown at startup and I am well below 100 by the time I am ready to start SONAR. And I do have my comp set to basically run at full power all the time - power management "features" can be a PITA if they start powering stuff down when you least expect it.

Does this all help? I don't know, I certainly haven't benchmarked it at all, but my copy of SONAR runs good on my system with very few pops here and there when live playing/recording (that never translate to a mix-down anyway) by doing this. It may be as smooth without doing all of that - but I am old school and tend to turn off everything I can when I need to make sure that the computer needs to run as smooth as possible. But with 4 cores @ 2.7+ Ghz, with 8GB of RAM and almost 400GB of free on a  500GB drive (SONAR and Windows are only 2 major installs on my laptop) - X3d runs pretty good anyway. I do get some hesitations in screen redraws and the start of playback in larger projects, sometimes, if I forget to kill all those background apps and TSRs first, but it would still be usable honestly.
    Rooftree
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 17:42:25 (permalink)
    SUBSONIC:  What method do you use for turning off services?  Do you manually go into msconfig each time you run Sonar?  I'm hoping there's an automated process that can be set up once, then run easily before a Sonar sessino.

Sonar X2 Producer : Win 7 Pro 64 bit : i7-930 : 6GB RAM : Edirol UA-25EX
    DimPro : Minimoog V : Lounge Lizard
    Prophet 08 : Juno-60 : Odyssey : CS-30 : TR-606 : Korg 01W
    TraceyStudios
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 603
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 17:49:04 (permalink)

AMD FX-6100 six-core processor 3.3GHz
    8 Gig RAM
    SONAR X3 Producer
    Tascam FW1884
    Mackie Blackbird
    Presonus Digimax
    Avalon U5
    BFD2
    SL Trigger
    Alesis DM8 Pro drums
    KRK Rokit 8s
    KRK 10s
    ARC2

Folgers Dark Roast, a bit of crazy :)
    & lots of help from the forums!

http://www.reverbnation.com/blakkmire
    StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:07:37 (permalink)
    James: tell me the make and model of your motherboard ... same for the video and what memory are you running .
    jb101
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:16:55 (permalink)
    James, please don't do any of the tweaks that people throw at you, particularly if they involve which "Mobo" you have, or if they refer to "Bios"  etc.

Run LatencyMon and report back.

No need to fix if it ain't broke.

This will only cause you more problems.

Sonar Platinum
    StarTekh
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:21:19 (permalink)
    jb101 : that's a total joke !
    jb101
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:32:23 (permalink)
    StarTekh
    jb101 : that's a total joke !

Projection, I feel.  Nice to see you back, Startech.  Still asking the same question in every thread.

@james - look for posts from people on this forum that use Sonar for a living - use it in studios every day, and see which tweaks they use, other than the basic ones.

Sonar Platinum
    wizard71
    • Total Posts : 836
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:37:36 (permalink)
    Experiment, it's what got us out of caves and into warm houses. As far as I know and contrary to belief, there is no PC tweak that will leave you as just a pair of smoking boots!.... Can the same be said for your PC? ;-) .... Also it really depends on your definition of 'tweak'.

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
    https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
    Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

StarTekh
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:44:41 (permalink)
    jb101 : ground up builds:   you might wana read this ...   http://forum.cakewalk.com/SOLVED-Saffire-Pro-40-and-ASUS-Z87-Pro-m2967913.aspx

my responce:  MoJo: see this driver is installd !   http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PRO/#support

Version 9.4.0.1026 .....Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.4.0.1026 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.
    Version 9.4.0.1017......Intel Chipset Driver V9.4.0.1017 for Windows 7 32/64bit & Windows 8 32/64bit.(WHQL)

the boards latest bios is : Z87-PRO BIOS 1707

Users responce:I just finished downloading and installing all of the updated drivers and I'M IN BUSINESS!!!! Everything is working and behaving as it should. I just want to give a shout out to my fellow "Sonarians" and say THANK YOU for your time, help and insight. I knew I was coming to the right place even though it truly wasn't a Sonar issue.

Want me to keep going ?
    jb101
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:49:00 (permalink)
    Yes, I'm sorry for my outburst.

I just think that you should try running your system as it is, and, if it works well, then don't bother with all the "tweaks" or "optimisations" that people suggest.

Power management, disable wireless card, etc. may be enough.

If not, then look at the alternatives.

Sonar Platinum
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:50:13 (permalink)
    wizard71
    Experiment, it's what got us out of caves and into warm houses. As far as I know and contrary to belief, there is no PC tweak that will leave you as just a pair of smoking boots!.... Can the same be said for your PC? ;-) .... Also it really depends on your definition of 'tweak'.

No. But more than one user who did not appreciate all of the implications of the settings he is messing with had come up with a computer that will not boot to Windows and ended up doing a full re-installation. A restore point will sometimes save your posterior, but restore points do not save everything. If you are not sure what a "tweak" is all about, it would be wise to make a system image on media that can be booted without recourse to a working Windows system and restore the system to the way it was before you "fixed" it.
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:52:54 (permalink)
    I do not agree with Sweetwater.
    "1. This helps alleviate poor hard drive performance.  In Device Manager open the Disk Drives menu.
    2. For all of your hard drives, right click on the drive name and select Properties
    3. Go to the Policies tab and check the boxes to “Enable write caching” and “Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing”"

Well, if you ever lose power and you do not have an un-interruptible power supply, data will be scrambled on the hard disk if working on something using the hard disk and the power goes off. (not a controlled shut-down of the computer).

" Go to the Startup Tab and choose ‘disable all’ in the bottom right corner.
    ** NOTE: after doing this Pro Tools users must check the box for “Digidesign MME Binder”**

3. Next, navigate to the Services tab.  Check the box at the bottom to “hide all Microsoft Services”
    4. Choose “Disable All” on the bottom right corner.  **NOTE: Pro Tools users must check the boxes for “Digidesign MME Refresh Service”, “digiSPTIService” and “PACE License Services”"

Well, you do not have to disable all services or processes in Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> System Configuration. There you can decide what to start up even using a  Selective Startup on the General Tab after
    unchecking what you do not want to start up on boot-up of the computer. You also have Safe Boot on the Boot Tab but that usually is not needed. Services and Startup is where you uncheck what you do not want to start up when the computer starts. Not all of that has to be unchecked and you would not probably want to.

"We recommend AVG or Microsoft Security Center."

I do not recommend AVG and use Avira which can be turned-off with the real-time protection if wanting to disable it while playing a game or recording music - in which case on my computer it does not interfere at all. AVG can not be turned off and disabled with the later versions.

Be smart and only do what needs to be done, a little more memory not starting up start-up programs when the computer boots are usually only programs that may look for an update, and that also can be set when the program updates and set just to notify you so you can do the update when you want to, and like Windows Update, turn it off and do it manually when you want to - because the second Tuesday of the month is when Microsoft usually has updates for the OS and whatever else it puts on your computer.

Other start-up programs only seem to make the computer faster like Office startup or the herd that followed Microsoft doing that in the first place and well those do not have to be started up when the computer starts, and only take a few seconds more to start the program at any time if you even use the program that much on the computer in the first and last place.

Well, there may be some other stuff but mainly that is it, and use common sense or set up safe boot on the Boot Tab and use Minimal Boot if you want to try any of that, but Selective Startup should show up on the General Tab of the System Configuration in the Adminstrative Tools in Control Panel. The rest is looking through your computer and knowing what all those Control Panel Icons are for and how to change your computer to the way that you want to use it.

jb101
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 19:52:57 (permalink)
    StarTekh
    jb101 : ground up builds:   you might wana read this ...   http://forum.cakewalk.com/SOLVED-Saffire-Pro-40-and-ASUS-Z87-Pro-m2967913.aspx

my responce:  MoJo: see this driver is installd !   http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PRO/#support

Version 9.4.0.1026 .....Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.4.0.1026 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.
    Version 9.4.0.1017......Intel Chipset Driver V9.4.0.1017 for Windows 7 32/64bit & Windows 8 32/64bit.(WHQL)

the boards latest bios is : Z87-PRO BIOS 1707

Users responce:I just finished downloading and installing all of the updated drivers and I'M IN BUSINESS!!!! Everything is working and behaving as it should. I just want to give a shout out to my fellow "Sonarians" and say THANK YOU for your time, help and insight. I knew I was coming to the right place even though it truly wasn't a Sonar issue.

Want me to keep going ?

My point exactly.  What do you know of the OP's build, before you suggested these things?

Anyhow, let's not derail the OP's thread.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sonar Platinum
    Splat
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 20:13:43 (permalink)
    So...

+1 for thread #6 - that's a good article by Native Instruments, not sure about the other article to be honest.

Anyway in addition this is what I suggest...

Make sure windows update is up to date, even the optional stuff (within reason, you don't want bing toolbar).

Make sure your drivers are up to date, and check for firmware updates.

Check your scheduled tasks and disable or reduce the ones you don't need:
    http://windows.microsoft....ule-task#1TC=windows-7

Defrag once a month.

When running antivirus (recommended) exclude these folders as per Microsoft recommendations:
    C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\res*.log
    C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\res*.jrs
    C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\edb.chk
    C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Tmp.edb
    c:\windows\Security\Database\*.edb
    c:\windows\Security\Database\*.sdb
    c:\windows\Security\Database\*.log
    c:\windows\Security\Database\*.chk
    c:\windows\Security\Database\*.jrs
    C:\ProgramData\NTUser.pol
    C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Registry.pol
    In addition I recommend excluding the Cakewalk Content and Project folders.

Also disable Intel Speedstep or AMD equivalant such as PowerNow and disable CPU throttling in Windows.

Do not change the Priority to Background Services...

StarTekh:
    >Want me to keep going ?

Sure check out post #16 of that thread you quoted/commented upon later (#24 I believe ), so we can both use google!
    We need more info anyway...
    Anyway I jest, good luck to the OP.
    post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/01/14 20:48:19

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 20:14:52 (permalink)
    For ppl running windows 8, LatencyMon by http://www.resplendence.com/ does support Windows 8 and I find to be more helpful than Latency Checker.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Maarkr
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 488
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/14 20:27:45 (permalink)
    Poster didn't say what computer specs he has... Win 7 & 8 are pretty good  - I agree, no need to tweak, BUT u want performance?  reinstall 64 bit on SSD with plenty of RAM!

Maarkr
    Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
    i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
    Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
    jeebustrain
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/15 13:50:51 (permalink)
    After fighting various firewire things on Win7 & and my pair of Saffire Pro40s and having to make various tweaks, since I've wiped and reinstalled with Win8.1 and Sonar X3d, these are the only things I've needed to do to "optimize" my audio PC. Most of my hardware based troubleshooting on this box was done during my time with Win7. This included various issues with the USB3 drivers, nic drivers, Firewire card (and drivers), wireless mouse (I went back to a wired one), Geforce graphics drivers, USB cables (I had a short in one that was causing some really nasty issues including occasional BSODs). My move to Win8.1 involved no hardware changes, other than adding a pair of Dell touchscreen monitors.

Win8.1 changes
    Set Power Management to High Performance
    Disable core parking (I have an AMD 8-core cpu and had a noticeable improvement in my ability to run my interfaces at lower latency without pops after I did this)
    Disable power management on all USB devices
    disabled a couple unused services (like print spooler and wireless networking, since I need neither)
    Only installed the core driver set for my dual Geforce cards - I purposely left off the Physx and 3d junk off (back when I had Win7, it would cause fits inside LatencyMon until I removed them)

I'll note that this is an audio PC and only gets on the internet for downloading updates. I have inbound/outbound internet traffic disabled for this machine at the firewall on my home network, so I can still have it on my home network (so I can remote control Sonar with my tablet). I have no Office, Flash, Acrobat, Java, Itunes, or any other junk that is not required for running my Audio applications. I also am running with no Antivirus. I make manual scans using a couple standalone tools every few weeks.

LatencyMon runs like a dream on it.

These things work for me and may not apply to others. I'll also note that I've been doing enterprise IT work for more than 15 years, so a lot of this is coming from professional experience - not random things read on forums.

Sonar Platinum (lifetime sub) :: Windows 8.1 Pro :: AMD FX-8350 CPU, 16GB ram :: 120GB SSD (boot), 1TB 7200rpm HDD (data/projects) :: (dual) Focusrite Saffire Pro40 (TI chipset on FW card) :: lots of plugins :: lots of various midi controllers and hardware synths :: Pearl Drums/Paiste Cymbals/Roland & Alesis Electronic pads.

My Music
    BlixYZ
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/16 09:52:04 (permalink)
    Thanks to all- my apologies for not posting mobo, etc.  I typically don't know those things off the top of my head, but I will check and post them (I'm not at the studio currently).   I had it custom built- i7, 16gbRam, Windows 7 (Developer's Edition).  I've had it over a year and it's been great.  I use it with Profire 2626 and Octane via adat.  Lately I've had some crashes (since latest X3d) and performance seemed better with X3b.  It's nothing major, but I haven't kept up with optimizations (it seems they aren't as necessary today).   I do, of course, use msconfig/startup to make sure the nonsense isn't running.  

James W
    BlixYZ Recording Studio
    BlixYZ Records

Windows 10
    BlixYZ
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/16 10:22:49 (permalink)
    Motherboard is made by Gigabyte, just not sure of model.

James W
    BlixYZ Recording Studio
    BlixYZ Records

Windows 10
    JavaMan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re: Please point me to a good computer OPTIMIZATION thread 2014/01/16 11:11:12 (permalink)
    +1 For the Sweetwater Optimization Guide.

I built a new computer (win 7 64)  to install X2 Producer about a year ago.  

I had a lot of click and pop issues , shut downs , resets etc.  Tried numerous different  trouble shooting fixes, to no avail.

After i went through the steps of this guide, everything concerning those issues were gone, i was a bit surprised that after all kinds of trouble shootings that this cleared it all up.

IMHO, if you are not in the middle of an important project, it can't hurt to give this a shot.

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-7/

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1