Helpful Reply[Plugin now available] Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 13:08:29 (permalink)
BTW, I wonder what name makes the most sense... "Sidechain Mixer", or "Track Bus". The first is what it does, the second is what it's purpose is. If it was "Track Bus", then the name in the context menu when selecting a track's destination would become "Track Bus(Input 2)-[name of track]". That might be a bit more descriptive, not sure.

Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 13:09:31 (permalink)
Track Busser. 

Bus Stop.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
AndreyB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 13:43:13 (permalink)
SilkTone

Andrey, I don't believe that should be necessary. Look at this screenshot of the context menu when selecting the output destination of a track. The name of the "track bus" shows up in the context menu:

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was talking about the case when you have several tracks which share the same name, so the sidechaining would look somewhat like this:

Sidechain Mixer A(Input 2)-Guitar 1
Sidechain Mixer B(Input 2)-Guitar 1
Sidechain Mixer A(Input 2)-Guitar 2
Sidechain Mixer B(Input 2)-Guitar 2
Sidechain Mixer C(Input 2)-Guitar 2

So this would be 5 different tracks which share names between each other.
But thinking about it again, I think you are right, this really is not necessary and probably would just screw up things.

SilkTone
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 14:04:59 (permalink)
Andrey, the name shown in the context menu would be that of the destination "track bus", not the source track. So it would instead show something like "Sidechain Mixer (Input 2)-Guitar Track Bus" (depending on what you called the "track bus"). So you might have something like:

Guitar Track 1 -> Sidechain Mixer (Input 2)-Guitar Bus 1
Guitar Track 2 -> Sidechain Mixer (Input 2)-Guitar Bus 1
Guitar Track 3 -> Sidechain Mixer (Input 2)-Guitar Bus 2
Guitar Track 4 -> Sidechain Mixer (Input 2)-Guitar Bus 2
Guitar Track 5 -> Sidechain Mixer (Input 2)-Guitar Bus 2

Am I missing what you mean?
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 14:22:55 (permalink)
We'll think about doing track to track routing. Its been on the plate for a few years but there have been other more features that took precedence. Our architecture already supports this since internally tracks are really just a superset of buses as far as the engine goes. Buses already allow you to send to other buses so allowing tracks to send to tracks will be an extension of the same thing.
Some UI changes would be required to accommodate this. I imagine we wouldn't want to always show tracks as destinations since it would clutter the UI for the normal use case since this is a far less common requirement.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
AndreyB
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 14:24:12 (permalink)
Silktone, now I get it, I was not being clear enough, sorry for that. What I meant was not summing several tracks in one track bus but rather the opposite - I was talking about distributing one track via sends into several "track buses". And only then summing the whole thing up. Think of it like this:

Guitar Track 1 send -> Sidechain Mixer(Input 2)-Guitar 1 Subtrack A 
Guitar Track 1 send -> Sidechain Mixer(Input 2)-Guitar 1 Subtrack B 
Guitar Track 1 send -> Sidechain Mixer(Input 2)-Guitar 1 Subtrack C
Guitar 1 all the Subtracks output -> Sidechain Mixer(Input 2)-Guitar 1 SumABC
et cetera.

That's why I thought different dll names could come in handy. So this would be something like:
Guitar Track 1 send -> Sidechain A(Input 2)-Guitar 1 Subtrack
Guitar Track 1 send -> Sidechain B(Input 2)-Guitar 1 Subtrack

But, again, since you mentioned it, I think it's really unnecessary. I take it back.

AndreyB
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 14:33:53 (permalink)
Some UI changes would be required to accommodate this. I imagine we wouldn't want to always show tracks as destinations since it would clutter the UI for the normal use case since this is a far less common requirement.

Yay!
Maybe some sort of a button - somewhere near the Freeze and Archive buttons which would make the track's input visible to sends and outputs? Sort of like that sidechain option in CA2A in PC - it's sidechain input becomes visible in the list only if you turn CA2A on first.
Dave Modisette
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 15:56:41 (permalink)
We'll think about doing track to track routing. Its been on the plate for a few years but there have been other more features that took precedence. Our architecture already supports this since internally tracks are really just a superset of buses as far as the engine goes. Buses already allow you to send to other buses so allowing tracks to send to tracks will be an extension of the same thing.

It would be important that the routing be accomplished via the input of the destination track (or some means other than the source track output).  IOW, we would need both the source track and the destination track able to be sent to a bus or main outs via the track output.

My music.
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 16:07:57 (permalink)
I understand the request but why is it important? :)

Noel Borthwick
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 16:22:04 (permalink)
microapp
Its not quite as simple as you might imagine. Buses and tracks in the UI are vastly different entities and the UI that manages them is quite different. This is because tracks existed eon's before buses did in SONAR. Changing that logic would take a lot of re-architecture of the UI, so it would be hard to justify the cost.

If we did it the concept of an aux track would be much more feasible than trying to mix buses into the track view. Buses and tracks have two different functions. Buses are for mixing/post-processing as opposed to tracks that have input data. I personally find mixing tracks and buses in the same view a schizophrenic concept. I understand the requirement to pair the UI but it seems like a huge investment for a minor gain.
Another possibility (thinking aloud) what if we had an auto track zoom mode that magnified and showed the track and its destinations when you clicked the track. Would that be helpful?

I guess there would be no point in requesting MIDI buses then.
What would that be... a paranoid concept ?

I'm trying to see the purpose of this. I can't. It would be like having a type 0 MIDI file.  

Best
John
SilkTone
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 18:00:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] 2015/01/26 18:10:18
OK here is the plugin.

It works as expected, with one caveat... If you solo the track bus, Sonar will not solo the tracks feeding into the track bus. To get around this, solo the whole folder, or group the solo buttons together.

To use:
  • Unzip the files.
  • Copy either/both the 32-bit or 64-bit files somewhere into your VST3 folders.
  • Let Sonar do a scan.
  • The plugin shows up under Plugins > Audio FX > VST3 > Sidechain Mixer (or wherever you put it).
  • Drag/drop the plugin into the FX bin of the track that you want to convert to a bus.
  • Set the output of any other track to "Sidechain Mixer(Input 2)-[track bus name].

I only tested the 64-bit version so let me know if the 32-bit version doesn't work.

BTW you can also send sends into the track bus.
post edited by SilkTone - 2015/02/22 00:18:21
Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 18:09:38 (permalink)
Holy crap that's awesome. I can't wait to try this out SilkTone. I may be more excited about this than I am for the new version of Sonar...

Thank you,

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
Dave Modisette
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 18:14:31 (permalink)

Parallel processing.

My music.
SilkTone
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 18:21:39 (permalink)
One weird thing I noticed...

I wasn't sure what the plugin will do with mono tracks, so I played around with the track interleave buttons. If the 1st track going into the plugin is mono, all subsequent tracks will be treated as mono (???). However if any of the non-first track is mono, then you get the expected behavior.

Maybe Noel knows why it is acting this way. I don't think it is a big deal as it is easy to make sure at least the very 1st track is stereo.
AndreyB
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 18:39:28 (permalink)
Wow, that was fast. Lots of thanks, SilkTone! This will be a nice improvement to my workflow.
Nice graphics, by the way :)

SilkTone
I wasn't sure what the plugin will do with mono tracks, so I played around with the track interleave buttons. If the 1st track going into the plugin is mono, all subsequent tracks will be treated as mono (???).

Just out of curiousity... Tested it with a Sonitus gate sidechain input. The behaviour is totally the same. So it's just one of those things we'll need to remember about sidechaining. No biggie.
AndreyB
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 18:44:42 (permalink)
Mod Bod

Parallel processing.

I may be missing out something, but won't be the current bus-routing manner with pre/post-fader sends more natural for parallel processing? After all, it would be nice to have send amounts on one source track (and automate them on that very track) than to have to hunt input gains on the receiving tracks.
SilkTone
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 18:45:55 (permalink)
Note that you need to set the PC to Post FX bin if you want to use it in the signal path.

Alternatively there are also other routing options... You can add an FX bin into the PC (move it to the top), and use that as the input from other tracks/sends. You can also add multiple FX bins into the PC, and feed different tracks/sends into different points along the PC. Not sure if it can be useful, but it seems to work.
post edited by SilkTone - 2015/01/26 18:53:17
Dave Modisette
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 20:21:56 (permalink)
Well there you have it, ladies and gentlemen.  A solution to the need of the few.  

I took three guitar tracks, set them for stereo interleave and routed them via post fader sends to another track that had Sidechain Mixer in the first slot of the FX bin.  I switched the output on the source tracks to NONE and set the destination track's output to my ALL GUITARS bus and I could control the overall volume of the Electric guitars with the new destination track Electric Guitar Mix.  I could blend the individual guitars via the track fader or the send levels.  Of course my preference is the track fader.

I also verified that if I set the output of the source track and the output of the destination track to the same bus, I get a parallel copy.  I confirmed to myself that another FX added to the bin after Sidchain Mixer would work properly and it did.  I placed Channel Tools in the Electric Guitar Mix and flipped the polarity on the channels and as I adjusted the fader on the EG Mix, the source track and the destination track started to cancel.  I never got a full cancellation because I didn't match the levels as they should be but I didn't hear any change in tone as the two tracks started to cancel and that gave me confidence that there is no phase issues.  At least I didn't hear any.

I did get some phase issues when I engaged a second effect in the parallel tracks FX bin but it mysteriously went away after I started looking for the cause.  I'm thinking it was a temporary ADC issue and when I restarted the audio engine, it synced back up properly.

Good job, Silk Tone. 

EDIT:  Just for giggles, I tried arming record mode and recording to the destination track.  As expected, no recording.  No, Freeze doesn't work either.  

My music.
TomHelvey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 21:17:07 (permalink)
SilkTone
OK here is the plugin.

Thanks!

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
PCIe: UAD Octo
USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 21:30:44 (permalink)
Mod Bod

Parallel processing.

I was referring to this statement "It would be important that the routing be accomplished via the input of the destination track (or some means other than the source track output)." 

Why is it important to you that routing is accomplished via the input rather than the output as it is today for sends to buses. I woudn't want to change the UI paradigm just for this.

Noel Borthwick
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 21:32:39 (permalink)
SilkTone

I wasn't sure what the plugin will do with mono tracks, so I played around with the track interleave buttons. If the 1st track going into the plugin is mono, all subsequent tracks will be treated as mono (???). However if any of the non-first track is mono, then you get the expected behavior.

Maybe Noel knows why it is acting this way. I don't think it is a big deal as it is easy to make sure at least the very 1st track is stereo.

Right because the first track to route to the plugin actually establishes the interleave setting. Subsequent tracks are simply mixed in using the same interleave.

Noel Borthwick
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 21:34:04 (permalink)
AndreyB
Mod Bod

Parallel processing.

I may be missing out something, but won't be the current bus-routing manner with pre/post-fader sends more natural for parallel processing? After all, it would be nice to have send amounts on one source track (and automate them on that very track) than to have to hunt input gains on the receiving tracks.

Exactly. If we did it it would follow the same paradigm as sends today.

Noel Borthwick
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 21:36:00 (permalink)
Mod Bod
EDIT:  Just for giggles, I tried arming record mode and recording to the destination track.  As expected, no recording.  No, Freeze doesn't work either.  

Recording only works with hardware inputs in SONAR. It has a lot of baggage related to audio devices.
Freeze only works on stuff inside tracks (the clips view) not live inputs.

Noel Borthwick
Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/27 01:01:42 (permalink)
SilkTone, you are a prince among Sonarites.
I just took two snare tracks (top and bottom mic), EQ'd each of them, sent them via your plugin to a track next to them called snare, compressed and added a bit of reverb to that track, and then hid the top and bottom snare mic tracks so I only had one track called "snare" (natch). Now if I feel like going back and changing relative mic levels or EQ I'll just un-hide, adjust, and re-hide, and all the rest of the time I just have a single track called "Snare" to work with. It get sent to the "Drum" bus, which is in the bus section just like god intended.
Yay. If you ever stop through my neck of the woods look me up. I owe you a beer or six.
Thanks again,
Dean

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, another way around the mute/solo thing aside from folders is to group the mute and solo buttons. Works great.

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
Dave Modisette
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/27 06:26:20 (permalink)
Mod Bod

Parallel processing.

I was referring to this statement "It would be important that the routing be accomplished via the input of the destination track (or some means other than the source track output)." 

Why is it important to you that routing is accomplished via the input rather than the output as it is today for sends to buses. I woudn't want to change the UI paradigm just for this.

I thought we were talking about routing a track to a track. Yes, an aux would need a send.

My music.
SilkTone
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/27 10:58:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Razorwit 2015/01/27 11:29:37
Razorwit
EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, another way around the mute/solo thing aside from folders is to group the mute and solo buttons. Works great.

Yes I played with this and the grouping feature works well for this purpose. However as far as I can tell, we don't need it for the mute buttons, only the solo buttons. Not grouping the mute buttons will allow us to mute individual tracks going into the track bus, sort of a "reverse solo" since we can't solo individual tracks.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/27 11:09:14 (permalink)
Wow Silktone...I'm impressed. Wish I knew how to code on that level. Thank you!!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
joel77
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/27 11:29:04 (permalink)
Thank you Steven (Silktone)!!

Going to DL, install and give this a try.

Thanks again!

Joel  Glaser
Studio 52     

God Bless America
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonar x64, Win 7 Pro, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7-930 2.86GHz dual quad core, 12GB Corsair DDL3,
Asus ATI Radion HD 4350, WD 500 GB SATA, 
Dual WD 1TB SATA HDs, ME RayDAT, Alesis HD24XR - A/D-D/A

https://www.facebook.com/...dio-52/811309178917929
www.thebrothersglaser.com
sdupayage
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/02/07 11:16:43 (permalink)
Hi,

I like the idea of the plugin as it brings some of the organization we can experiment with some other DAWs.

But I have a question. What would be the inconveniences of basically using the tracks as "raw materials" where you do in track adjustments and then send all of them on their own bus and start mixing on the bus pane hiding completely the track pane where we can actually do bus to bus sends and organize the way we want? (I hope I'm clear on this one).

My idea is use the track view as if it was a tape recording and only use the buses to do the mix not touching anything on the tracks (except very track specific processing).

Any view on this?

Thanks,
Stéphane
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/02/07 14:39:43 (permalink)
Tried. Works. Simple. Don't know if I'll have a ton of use for it, but it certainly does what it says on the tin! Simple is good. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1