Helpful Reply[Plugin now available] Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/02/07 16:24:50 (permalink)
Definitely impressed with the plugin, tried it. Trying hard to work out how I would use it in my workflow it would probably confuse me to be honest, however I'm all for flexibility if people want it. Without trying to hijack here this is the other enhancement I would really like...

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/02/07 16:44:44 (permalink)
I'm not at my DAW just now to try it, but could this plugin not possibly be used to make that happen? Route the output of the synth or FX track to another track via the sidechain mixer, then record the track in real time? 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/02/07 16:57:47 (permalink)
subtlearts
I'm not at my DAW just now to try it, but could this plugin not possibly be used to make that happen? Route the output of the synth or FX track to another track via the sidechain mixer, then record the track in real time? 

I tried it thinking it might, and all works great until you arm record on the track. There is a workaround (via use of a dummy MIDI clip) on the other thread. I think you can also get other plugins that will handle it. Still there are other uses for this particular plugin we are talking about here.

Cheers..

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Lord Tim
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 837
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/02/11 08:25:21 (permalink)
Just wanted to chime in also and say thanks for this plugin!

I'm doing a fairly huge project at the moment (both in number of tracks and length of the song) in which I'm trying this out for the first time. From an organisational point of view, this is a great alternative to using busses in that I can keep each multiple track element in its own folder with common aux sends, etc., and simply treat it as a single entity rather than worrying about where anything is routed.

Awesome stuff! 

WWW: www.lord.net.au  FB: www.facebook.com/lordtimofficial
Bandlab: www.bandlab.com/lordtim

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
doment500
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/02/14 00:21:07 (permalink)
I just tried thie plugin and it works like a charm! This plugins is sooo awesome!!! Many thanks to whoever developed this one!!!
post edited by doment500 - 2015/02/14 00:29:24

Pay me or the chicken gets it!
hanstheman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/03/14 11:58:38 (permalink)
Im now experiencing problems using the plugin - it might be due to platinum and not the sidechain mixer in itself, just want to warn people.
Now it forces mono on its inputs, and suddenly this instance has disappeared(I cannot route to it anymore). Then I created a new instances that worked well, deleted the old instances with the strange mono behaoviour, and suddenly the new instance become mono and I cant route new tracks to it(it has disappeared on the list just the same)!!!
So just a general warning on platinum - do check that your sidechain mixer doesnt force mono.  
In any case, Im experiencing ton of weird behaovour in platinum - x3 works much better with vsts. 
Also the mix recall feature resets gain staging for my vst3 plugins, but thats a different story entirely... 
And kontakt player doesnt work... And plugins that turn up as vst3 in x3 turns up vst2 in platinum etc.... 
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/03/14 12:34:04 (permalink)
hanstheman
Im now experiencing problems using the plugin - it might be due to platinum and not the sidechain mixer in itself, just want to warn people.
Now it forces mono on its inputs, and suddenly this instance has disappeared(I cannot route to it anymore). Then I created a new instances that worked well, deleted the old instances with the strange mono behaoviour, and suddenly the new instance become mono and I cant route new tracks to it(it has disappeared on the list just the same)!!!
So just a general warning on platinum - do check that your sidechain mixer doesnt force mono.  
In any case, Im experiencing ton of weird behaovour in platinum - x3 works much better with vsts. 
Also the mix recall feature resets gain staging for my vst3 plugins, but thats a different story entirely... 
And kontakt player doesnt work... And plugins that turn up as vst3 in x3 turns up vst2 in platinum etc.... 

The mono behavior is a known issue. See Noel's reply to this issue here. It is due to the way Sonar treats sidechain inputs to a plugin. The bottom line is that if the very 1st input to a plugin is from a mono source, then Sonar will force all subsequent inputs to mono as well. The way to work around it is to ensure you don't feed mono inputs to the plugin, or if that is not possible, ensure the 1st input is stereo. However I'm not sure what qualifies as the "1st" input... How the tracks are sorted in the track list, or in the order they were added to the plugin.

I think this can really be seen as a bug in Sonar, since the plugin presents the sidechain input as stereo, yet Sonar forces it to mono based on the 1st input's interleave. It should only treat it as mono if all inputs are mono, not just the 1st one.

EDIT: An alternative way to work around this issue is to insert 2 sidechain mixer plugins into the FX bin. Feed all mono inputs to one of them, and all stereo inputs to the other one. Since the plugin mixes the sidechain input with the signal passing through it, you will get the correct behavior.

EDIT EDIT: BTW this thread has more details, and mentions the mono issue as well. I have not seen the issue with disappearing inputs. There seems to be some weird things in general going on in Sonar for you. If you know of a way to repro the issue with the sidechain inputs disappearing, let me know and I'll try it. The sidechain mixer plugin is really very simple - it just tells Sonar it has 2 stereo inputs and one stereo output. It doesn't have much control as to what Sonar does with that info.
post edited by SilkTone - 2015/03/14 12:49:34
hanstheman
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/03/14 16:12:40 (permalink)
Thanks man!! I just route in stereo tracks for now on... Actually the reason I needed sidechain was because Waves inPhase sidechaining doesnt work properly in platinum(works fine in x3). So now I can just pan stereo tracks hard left and right and route to a new track with sidechain mixer, and use waves inphase there, then route this track to another mono track with sidechain mixer.

Yeah man, sonar platinum has lots of issues, Im sure they are working on fixing them. I dont have anything special in my system, except that I installed it on top of X3.
The disappearing inputs might have been me trying to do sidechaining in circles.
But thanks for the help!!! 
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/03/14 16:33:45 (permalink)
Yes Sonar will not list an input to sidechain mixer if it will result in a loop. This is a good thing because you don't want to accidentally create such a loop and blow your ears or speakers! So it is possible that the routing you were trying to make would have resulted in such a loop.

In general I'm not hearing a lot of bad things about Sonar Platinum compared to previous releases (other than C3), so your bad experience is surprising. I wonder if installing on top of X3 might cause issues. Maybe Sonar is picking up an older X3 DLL or something, who knows. If you continue to see these problems, it might be worth uninstalling Sonar, wiping the folder, and then do a clean install.

But if you installed via C3 I believe Platinum would install in a different location than C3. So in theory they should not interfere with each other, and you should be able to run either C3 or Platinum.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/03/14 16:39:11 (permalink)
SilkTone
I wonder if installing on top of X3 might cause issues. Maybe Sonar is picking up an older X3 DLL or something, who knows. If you continue to see these problems, it might be worth uninstalling Sonar, wiping the folder, and then do a clean install.

All SONAR versions are designed to be installed with previous versions in place. Installing Platinum with X3 already installed does not cause issues.
hanstheman
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/03/14 18:17:02 (permalink)
I just installed sonar from the command center, without any errors. 
My sonar platinum is installed in the same folder as x3, they share vst plugins. 
In general Ive experienced some problems with vsts, sometimes sonar picks the 32 bit versions instead of 64 bit, one vst had delay compensation turned off etc.. but vst is a problem in general since they tend to install themselves in 5 different places on the drive, sometimes I have to manually move the correct ones to sonars vst folder. 
Ok, if my problems are not normal my guess would be to reinstall everything. 

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1