Helpful ReplyPoll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 04:17:07 (permalink)
Staying with SONAR, but adding other weapons to the arsenal. Namely Mixbus and REAPER

Byron Dickens
LOSTinSWIRL
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 04:35:56 (permalink)
Just added my 2 cents worth in the poll. Decided to do with Studio One after Sonar crashed again for no apparent reason again.
rickpaul
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 05:42:13 (permalink)
It's too early for me to respond to the poll as I'll be taking my time before evaluating any switches.  Thus far, I have purchased Samplitude X3 Pro Suite based on the "crazy deal", so that will at least be one possibility, though I've only had a small amount of time to spend with it thus far -- enough to be somewhat optimistic, but nowhere close to certain.  And, because I have purchased it (I figured the SpectraLayers Pro part was worth the price of admission, whether or not I end up using Samplitude), I may actually delay a bit in getting around to working with it in depth.

I've spent a bit more time with Digital Performer 9.5, trying to decide if I also want to purchase that while the significant crossgrade discount is still applicable.  While there are many things I like about it, there are also quite a few that rub me the wrong way, and there are plugins I use a fair amount that it can't load at this point.  Reading the motunation.com forums a bit, there also seems to be some sense that the Windows version isn't very stable (I have had issues with hangs when trying to deal with plugin scanning, but not in actually using it). So, with a decision deadline of tonight, I am leaning heavily toward not purchasing that one.

I at least intend to try Cubase, and probably also at least a few others such as Reaper, Studio One, and Mixcraft -- I might also consider Mixbus as non-primary DAW if I find it makes enough difference to use for mixing, but it doesn't seem like it's fully featured enough to be my primary DAW since everything I do except vocals is MIDI.

My general plan is to try producing a song apiece with any I end up considering seriously (I did start with DP, but I don't think I'm likely to finish), so I figure it'll take me a few months to make any permanent decisions for a primary DAW, though I may pick up some additional products along the way.  And I am also hoping, very possibly against hope, there may be further SONAR developments between now and then as sticking with SONAR would be my preference at the moment, if it is a viable long-term option.

====================================
Rick Paul
Web: http://www.rickpaulmusic.com/
====================================
System:  ASUS X99-Deluxe, i7-5820K, 16 GB RAM, Win10Pro x64,  MOTU 828x, SONAR Platinum
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 10:15:03 (permalink)
It seems to me you can do most anything in any modern DAW. Given time, you can also get used to any workflow. Really the first question to ask yourself is which one is more likely to be around in 10 years time?

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 12:49:09 (permalink)
I voted other. I already owned Mixbus 4 and Tracktion 7...so I upgraded to Tracktion Waveform.
Between those two and Sonar I'm not in a hurry. I'll be fine. Waveform and Mixbus 4 are both excellent.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

maximumpower
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 731
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 13:25:20 (permalink)
Reaper for me

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

musichoo
  • Total Posts : 811
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 13:30:42 (permalink)
I voted for Studio one. But I am currently do a project that uses all my DAWs, S1, Splat and Reason 10. The lesson that I learned from Cakewalk closing down is : it is always better to be fluent in at a least 2 DAWs. Anyway S1.3 is relatively easy to pick up and has lots of learning resources on youtube. I think that is 2 of S1 strongest points. Not to say it is better than this or that daw.

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 14:25:40 (permalink)
I voted for Samplitude, but long live Sonar!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 17:14:19 (permalink)
I’m going to Cubase. I’ve had such severe PC problems I’ve had to buy a new one. Parts specified by Jim Roseberry. Already updated my sig with the details.
I mention that ‘cause I’m not even going to install Sonar on it. If I did I’d always be tempted to go back to what’s familiar and I really just want to move on.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 17:39:00 (permalink)
I hear ya, but at the same time it so SAD

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 17:59:27 (permalink)
Verry sad. I'm using Sonar to finish up older projects and am working on new projects in Samplitude. I'm enjoying Samplitude. Every time I open up Sonar my eyes well up and I feel depressed.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 21:08:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2017/12/22 01:44:07
Most of you are far too emotionally involved with Sonar. And have been for too long as well. It is only a piece of software or the tools as we say. One chisel compared to another in the hands of a sculptor. There are many Daw's out there and the basic fact is they all do the very same thing and very well might I add. You should be able to realise your ideas in any Daw. If you cannot the problem lies elsewhere and not with the Daw itself.

As part of my work (as a music teacher) for the first time the other day I had to get involved with Logic. I sorted it in 5 minutes and then did a huge 24 track recording session with it without a single issue. It was painless in fact. The amount of training for that program is awesome.

Something to consider as well is get a Mac and get into Logic. It is one of the finest Daw's out there and has been for a very very long time. Longer pedigree than Sonar and most other Daw's in fact.

This poll is also irrelevant as well. Who cares what other Daw's people are switching to. The most important thing is what Daw are YOU switching to.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 21:46:34 (permalink)
Hey Jeff I hear what you're saying. This turn of events has given me an opportunity to try out different DAW's.
There are quite a few choices and nice that competing companies have offered crossgrades for Sonar users or
everyone at this time.
Funny thing is I have found some interesting things about them.
I'm liking Tracktion Waveform for the pattern generator.
Mixcraft for the Performance Panel Grid. Reminds of Project5 which I loved to use.
I spent money for the Samplitude Deal and I have a little more I can justify.
I don't think at this moment in time I'll hop aboard the Studio One bandwagon though it is a nice DAW too.

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 22:23:43 (permalink)
Considering how many people here used multiple DAWs before and after, the results are a bit skewed. I can't "switch" to programs i was already using, especially if i am still using Sonar.
musichoo
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 23:17:21 (permalink)
I am with Jeff on this. A daw is only a software. It is only a tool, nothing more. I won't compare splat to a girlfriend or wife. You can't have $@x with it.

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/21 23:45:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2017/12/22 02:00:09
I'm already switching to Reaper. Relentless crashes in Sonar today pushed me over the edge. I hate to say it but despite the years of work with Sonar and my general fondness for it and for this community I'm increasingly not-sad that this happened and pushed me to make the change to something leaner, cleaner and more stable. I looked around a lot before settling on Reaper as my likely principle future platform, and along the way upgraded Reason and picked up Mixbus as alternates - one more for a creative playground to start ideas in, the other as a potential mix environment - though the more I work with Reaper the more I think it's likely I'll spend most of my time there - it just makes sense to me, and seems intelligently, logically and consistently structured and exceptionally well coded.

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
dubdisciple
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 00:25:13 (permalink)
musichoo
I am with Jeff on this. A daw is only a software. It is only a tool, nothing more. I won't compare splat to a girlfriend or wife. You can't have $@x with it.

ut oh..i think i am using my DAW totally wrong!
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 01:01:40 (permalink)
The "R" word completely.
Still love a couple features in Studio One.
May end up with both of them.

John
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 01:48:04 (permalink)
I switched to REAPER from Sonar 9.5 years ago, and have been extremely happy with my decision.  Never once even thought about looking at anything else, because I was too busy making music with REAPER.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 01:59:57 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Most of you are far too emotionally involved with Sonar. And have been for too long as well. It is only a piece of software or the tools as we say. One chisel compared to another in the hands of a sculptor. There are many Daw's out there and the basic fact is they all do the very same thing and very well might I add. You should be able to realise your ideas in any Daw. If you cannot the problem lies elsewhere and not with the Daw itself.

As part of my work (as a music teacher) for the first time the other day I had to get involved with Logic. I sorted it in 5 minutes and then did a huge 24 track recording session with it without a single issue. It was painless in fact. The amount of training for that program is awesome.

Something to consider as well is get a Mac and get into Logic. It is one of the finest Daw's out there and has been for a very very long time. Longer pedigree than Sonar and most other Daw's in fact.

This poll is also irrelevant as well. Who cares what other Daw's people are switching to. The most important thing is what Daw are YOU switching to.

I totally agree Jeff, I think people are over sentimental about Sonar to the point where they refuse to take the rose colored glasses off. I understand getting a little sad when you've spent so many happy hours being creative in a program, but frankly once I came to terms with the idea that Cakewalk was kaput, the rose colored glasses came right off for me. It's a very problematic DAW and I've probably spent a good percentage of the hours I've logged in it dealing with its many quirks, bugs and all round weird behavior. I think that if you use Sonar as nothing more than a glorified tape machine to record a few tracks with basic processing (and there's nothing wrong with that), then you're not going to run into most of the problems that people run into when they use Sonar for large, complex projects with a lot of synths, effects, sound design and experimentation with arrangement etc. I deal with multiple crashes in every Sonar session, and I've found that the larger and older a project becomes, the more examples of bizarre behavior creep in. I've had to abandon more than a few projects and recreate them from scratch because they became so corrupted and unmanageable. And then the new ones develop problems. Having all of your EQ plugins reset themselves when projects load is just a huge deal breaking creativity killer for me. When you really get into large projects in Sonar, there are ways in which its problems will literally destroy your work and waste hours of your time. I'm really not surprised that it gets such a regular panning on forums like Gearslutz and KVR.

I suspect that the Bakers knew that they didn't have the time or resources to fix many of the problems, and some of those problems probably have their roots deep in old code and were impossible to fix without opening up a pandora's box of other problems, and the need to rewrite entire pieces of the program in order to make it more future proof and accommodate new features seamlessly. Some of the new development of the program was really excellent, which confirms that the Bakers were a very competent team, but I can't help imagining their frustration that they couldn't give the program the polish they needed due to both financial and technical restraints. 

I've given Reaper and Bitwig trial runs recently and there is no doubt that they perform significantly better than Sonar under load. I'm sure Studio One is the same. 

I can totally understand people sticking with Sonar as it is because they don't want to shell out the $$'s for a new DAW, and those who use the program professionally may well find the prospect of revamping their whole setup to accommodate a new DAW too time consuming and costly for the time being, but honestly, for everyone else, I would seriously recommend making the effort to switch. The grass really is greener. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
rodreb
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 915
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 03:25:52 (permalink)
FWIW, I have decided to get Studio One. I will continue to use Sonar while I start learning S1 because, I am in the middle of a couple album projects for clients. Hopefully during this time I will be able to figure out how to do in S1 all the things I now have ingrained with Sonar. I have been watching all the S1 videos and most things seem pretty obvious. We'll see how it goes.

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

musichoo
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 05:43:58 (permalink)
rodreb
FWIW, I have decided to get Studio One. I will continue to use Sonar while I start learning S1 because, I am in the middle of a couple album projects for clients. Hopefully during this time I will be able to figure out how to do in S1 all the things I now have ingrained with Sonar. I have been watching all the S1 videos and most things seem pretty obvious. We'll see how it goes.

Take 2 days off from work (Splat) and just dive into Studio One and watch youtube or Groove3 training videos. 2 days that's all. You will be all set in Studio One.

dubdisciple
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 10:52:37 (permalink)
I do find it fascinating that many of the same people who ****ed about Sonar for years are making it out to be to this irreplaceable holy grail of DAWs.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 18:13:01 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

I guess some hobby users might be emotionally attached in the way you say, but I think you are missing a wider point. For anyone using Sonar commercially or doing anything serious with it, it represents a huge investment not just of money, but of time and familiarity. Not to mention all the projects that are now tied into Sonar that take a lot of time and effort to move to safety in another DAW where it's nearly impossible to replicate the original. These are major upheavals that are bound to make people emotional, not so much for the sad demise of Sonar, but the sad demise of their workflow and all the hassle involved. There are a lot of people affected by that. Your message comes across as being pretty cold and heartless for people having to go through this struggle and at this time of year.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 18:22:49 (permalink)
Does Logic still charge $100 for customer service calls ?? I know they used to and that's what turned me off of Logic years ago.
SupaReels Music
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 370
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 18:42:12 (permalink)
Tried as many trial packages as I could but it seems Cubase Pro 9.5 for £230ish (crossgrade) is the one I went for ... harder to get to grips with it than my Platinum package but a quality bit of kit ... I think that Cakewalk could at least allow the use of the connected products, it's just bloody minded to hang on 'launch codes' for addons that came with my software and were paid for!
SupaReels Music
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 370
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 18:42:12 (permalink)

rharris99
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 19:02:03 (permalink)
does any on know of a DAW that has something similar to Play List that is in Sonar?
Jeff Evans
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 19:42:56 (permalink)
35mm
I guess some hobby users might be emotionally attached in the way you say, but I think you are missing a wider point. For anyone using Sonar commercially or doing anything serious with it, it represents a huge investment not just of money, but of time and familiarity. Not to mention all the projects that are now tied into Sonar that take a lot of time and effort to move to safety in another DAW where it's nearly impossible to replicate the original. These are major upheavals that are bound to make people emotional, not so much for the sad demise of Sonar, but the sad demise of their workflow and all the hassle involved. There are a lot of people affected by that. Your message comes across as being pretty cold and heartless for people having to go through this struggle and at this time of year.

You know what they say. It is not what happens to you, it is how you handle it! I am a professional user and was using 8.5 Producer at the time of the X1 debacle. I knew then I had to switch. And did so quickly and efficiently in fact. It is the more professional users in fact that will do this without emotion and get on with it. I don't know why everyone is going on about transferring projects over because as a professional in reality you actually don't. You finish projects in Sonar and that is in fact the best place to leave them. If a pro job sounds good you won't in fact have to revisit it again! I have never had to transfer a single thing over. Occasionally you might have to open something but that is why I still have 8.5 still installed and running on an older machine. The best thing to do is quickly learn the new DAW and continue with new projects on that. And if you are a pro then you can actually still do the odd project or two in your original DAW while learning the new one. This whole procedure is still not an emotional experience. It simply does not have to be. It is all about how you handle it.

Sounds like to me you are not a professional user but a hobbyist. I see the hobbyist as having the emotional response, not the professional. When professionals encounter problems they find solutions and move on. You have to.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Jeff Evans
Re: Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! 2017/12/22 19:50:57 (permalink)
To interested Logic users you won't need to speed a $100 on service calls. It is painless to install and get your interface working. All you need to do is learn how to use it. There is a company called Udemy that offers excellent training on it. Recently they offered a full training course for $15 instead of $100.

For those interested in play lists Studio One has the arrange ruler instead. Whereby the entire arrangement can be rearranged and in fact you see it re arranged. And hear it play perfectly rearranged of course. Play lists don't let you see what you rearranged arrangements actally look like. You can also create scratch pads and create alternate arrangements in those. Then you have instant switching between them enabling a super fast way to compare them.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1