Helpful ReplyPossible fix for plugin settings not being saved?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2018/01/22 18:02:06 (permalink)

Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved?

I've been pretty vocal about my problems with Sonar obliterating plugin settings, having lost countless hours of work because of it. Recently it's been Waves Q10 EQ and Waves SSL Channel, although I've heard other people mention different plugins. I recently discovered that it does the same thing to FabFilter Pro-Q 2 as well - sometimes completely resetting the plugin, other times doing something like resetting my high and low pass filters while leaving the bells untouched. 

Now it didn't do this ALL the time - sometimes a project would load with all settings intact, but most of the time either all of the plugins or a select few of them would load without their settings. Because of this, it's really hard to pin down a cause (although I'm sure the Bakers could have figured out ways in which it could happen if they'd really pulled out all the stops). 

So I've tried various things without success but yesterday when I was racking my brain trying to think of ways in which Sonar could be telling these plugins to reset themselves (if that's what's happening as opposed to Sonar simply not saving the settings properly with the project file), it occurred to me on a whim that perhaps the problem is that these plugins are configured as tempo-based effects by default. I'm guessing that when they are configured so, Sonar will be passing data to them about the tempo and the song position, and perhaps somehow this data has been sent incorrectly or is ending up in places it shouldn't. 

This idea was partly fueled by someone else who was experiencing the same problem as I used to with the Quadcurve EQ, and he said that he actually saw it happen in real time when he was clicking to position the playhead in various places on the timeline. So there's one clue that playhead position data could be causing problems in plugins. 

Anyway I unchecked "configure as tempo-based effect" for FabFilter Pro-Q 2 last night, and I loaded a problematic project this morning and found that all of my Pro-Q's were intact with their settings left alone. Too early to say of course and I'll have to observe things more over the next few days but just wanted to report this slight glimmer of hope!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/22 18:10:24 (permalink)
Excellent detective work. scook will often show people that you need to go into the settings menu on plug ins and make sure the settings are to your liking. Most people are unaware that plug ins all have settings. 

I'm fighting with Air VST's not maintaining pre sets. 
I think I'll see if they have a forum. 
The worst is the Mini Grand Piano the Reverb gets cranked to MAX. And the patch keeps reverting to the wrong patch ignoring the track inspector settings. The DB33 is the same issue. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/22 20:07:35 (permalink)
Cactus Music

I'm fighting with Air VST's not maintaining pre sets. 
I think I'll see if they have a forum.

I have found two sources of wisdom (ha!) regarding AIR plugins.

http://community.airmusictech.com/airmusictech

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=265

The former is moderated by staff from the company, that offers some how-to info, and there is some user to user help.

The latter does not have much traffic, but Simon Bangs, inMusic Brands, software Brand Manager occasionally checks in.

In either case, if you have a real technical issue or bug to report, you will usually get referred to tech support > http://airmusictech.com/support

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/22 20:59:46 (permalink)
Thanks John, I posted a question on the community forum waiting for answer.. Have you had this issue? I know you use these same VST's. 
It's very odd as the Mini grand goes to the Ambient patch with the reverb on almost full. 
These are my own from scratch midi tracks with no extra data anywhere in the projects. 

I tried making a custom pre set and setting the inspector to NONE for bank and patch. 
I tried putting the bank and patch in the track inspector. 
Changing channels. 
It seems to be a bug but I don't see anyone else complaining. 
And the DB33 won't stay on the patch I assign to. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

abacab
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/23 00:05:50 (permalink)
Yup, that's a weird one Johnny!  I have not experienced the bug you have described, but I have heard at least one other user mention it, with patch selection being offset by one on recall.

My only thoughts are that the VST may be reacting to some MIDI event buried in the track events somewhere, but I dunno why that would be?

sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/23 00:43:29 (permalink)
I don't know if anyone remembers but recently I posted a video showing a phenomenon I discovered whereby if you turn the ProChannel
off and then adjust a parameter on the Waves Q10 plugin (for example) in that ProChannel, turning the ProChannel back on would change that parameter again. I posted a video of it happening. I'm not sure how this relates to any of the above, but it was a demonstration of how Sonar appears to pass stray signals to plugins under some circumstances.

I've also experienced a lot of cases of MIDI being thrown around a project erroneously. For example, the MIDI created by plugins like Jamstix can end up where it's not supposed to, and I've even seen cases where toggling mute or solo on a track can trigger a synth note on a completely unrelated track. Sonar definitely has some issues with stray MIDI data.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
abacab
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/23 01:41:57 (permalink)
And I think that if that was the case, some VST plugins may be more receptive to stray data than others, so YMMV...

sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/23 02:14:02 (permalink)
I don't understand the ins and outs of the VST standard but I do find it curious how this problem has seemed to disproportionately affect EQ's (I've had Sonar destroy settings for 4 different EQ's so far). Is it that the VST standard has common ID's for certain common plugin parameters, like frequency and gain? So that for example the Waves Q10 and the FabFilter Pro-Q share parameter ID's?

James
sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/25 23:23:35 (permalink)
Well after a couple of hopeful days in which it looked like this "tempo based effect" thing might be a solution, it appears not. I just loaded a project in which all of my Pro-Q 2 plugins have been reset to default. I give up. Sonar is unusable. Whomever buys this thing has an uphill struggle on their hands. 

James
Bassman002
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/26 08:20:23 (permalink)
HI:)

I found out that if you save a preset of a plugin, you have to save it twice for really saved.
If you just save it once, at next start your preset is not there anymore....

Bassman

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/26 11:52:17 (permalink)
Basseman

I found out that if you save a preset of a plugin, you have to save it twice for really saved.

Bassman

Seriously?? That is one colossal issue. How did that go uncaught?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/26 15:58:43 (permalink)
My next plan of attack is to deselect "Do not intercept NRPNs" for these plugins. My thinking is that since Sonar seems to leak MIDI into places it shouldn't be (which I've seen evidence of countless times), perhaps it's doing the same with NRPN's? 

James
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/26 18:08:09 (permalink)
mettelus
Basseman

Bassman

Seriously?? That is one colossal issue. How did that go uncaught?

Can’t say I’ve ever needed to save a preset two times to make it save and I have many saved plug in presets from many different vendors. Only time I’ve had issues with a preset is with the QC EQ.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Bassman002
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/27 09:57:36 (permalink)

@mettelus

Take a Sonitus Plugin for example. change anything, click in the preset field on the left upper corner, type in a name and type "Enter". Close the window and open it again, the preset is gone!

Make the same again, but after "Enter" click on the save button! Now it asks if it should overwrite the preset....

For overwriting it's for sure the second time being saved:)

Bassman.

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/28 05:41:40 (permalink)
I am still on Manchester / Win7 and tried out saving a few things but cannot replicate a preset not saving in the first go. I wonder if that may be from another version of SONAR, Win10, or something in the default paths set in SONAR prefs.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Bassman002
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/28 08:37:50 (permalink)
Hi:)

I'm on Win 10, but I can't remember that this ever worked on just pressing "Enter".It's a reflex for me, pressing Enter and after that "Save" for overwriting the just saved preset....

Bassman.

Songroom
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/28 08:51:45 (permalink)
Basseman
... pressing Enter and after that "Save" for overwriting the just saved preset....

That's the way I've always saved presets and it's been fine.

As for the 'saving twice' method, could it be that the VST UI isn't updating the preset list ?, this would explain why the 'overwrite existing preset' notification appears on the second attempt. It would seem that the new preset exists, it's just not listed.

Sonar Platinum - BandLab Cakewalk - Presonus 16.0.2 - Tannoys - Lava BandLamp ?

Bassman002
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/28 11:21:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Songroom 2018/01/28 11:54:16

These Presets ar saved in:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\ActiveMovie\Presets\

I've tested it: 
Typed in a name for the preset, pressed Enter:
-->Not written in the registry yet

Saved the Project and Exited Sonar:

But after clicking on save it's there in the registrypath for this plugin!

So perhaps this is why it cannot be saved for only pressing Enter. 

Maybe this is the point, Sharke is loosing his Plugin Settings. He should try to save a preset for all plugins......

Bassman.

sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/28 16:48:43 (permalink)
Basseman

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\ActiveMovie\Presets\

I've tested it: 

Maybe this is the point, Sharke is loosing his Plugin Settings. He should try to save a preset for all plugins......

Bassman.

I do, but I have to load the preset for sometimes 50 or more tracks every time I load the project, so it's clearly not an acceptable workaround. In addition, I can't seem to use Sonar's preset saving for Pro-Q - I hit save and it says "overwrite existing preset and I say yes but nothing saves, no matter how many times I do it. So I save using Fabfilter's own preset saving mechanism.

James
sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/28 16:52:13 (permalink)
Also, I should mention that I believe Sonar to be saving these plugin settings, but something is resetting them to default as the project initializes. And it's something which can happen as you work on the project - last night I had a fully configured Pro-Q reset itself as I was working on a song. This crap is why I'm calling Sonar essentially unusable - it really is for many people.

James
sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/28 21:16:59 (permalink)
On with my perpetual quest to make Sonar usable again. My latest "hunch" (if you can even call it that) is that perhaps this settings-destroying problem is somehow related to Sonar's ARA integration. I can't find the post now, but I have some vague memory of Noel saying that an earlier problem related to different plugins losing their settings (Native Instruments synths?) was an issue with ARA, and that a fix was rolled out. However, I'm perhaps only 50-60% sure of this. Maybe someone remembers. 

Anyway I'm in the middle of going over my most problematic project with a fine tooth comb to look for stray Melodyne clips. I have dozens of tracks that are archived and hidden, so it's a matter of unhiding them all one by one and checking them. I already found one, and deleting those clips caused Sonar to crash. This is in keeping with lots of stability issues and problems that I've had with Melodyne clips in the past (I logged a few bugs in this area). I don't think Sonar and ARA ever quite "got there" in terms of bugs and stability, so perhaps these clips are continuing to cause problems. I wouldn't have thought that Melodyne clips would affect plugin settings in a million years, but something Noel said stuck in my mind and hey it's worth a try. 

James
jackson white
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 283
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/28 21:28:44 (permalink)
What happens when you do a Mix Recall?

--------------------
Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/28 21:52:56 (permalink)
jackson white
What happens when you do a Mix Recall?

I don't know, I don't use Mix Recall. 

James
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/29 11:44:31 (permalink)
sharke I wouldn't have thought that Melodyne clips would affect plugin settings in a million years, but something Noel said stuck in my mind and hey it's worth a try. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Waves-92-VST3-plugins-resetting-to-default-settings-after-saving-m2898482.aspx

just a sec

burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/29 12:44:21 (permalink)
I've been revisiting old projects lately and have been shocked at how 'sloppy' I was at archiving things.
When a project loads up and it says 'transients being formed' I know I'm in for a surprise ;)

My only advice, working forward, could be to make detailed notes of your settings and freezing/bouncing tracks that you're happy with, then archiving the original with fx etc. noted somewhere safe. Process those stray Melodyne fx or drum replacers etc..
I used to take screen grabs of all the settings in fx chains that I was happy with for future reference as I was never sure they would stay the same. I've got gif files in my project folders showing all the fx open on each track. 

I know it's time consuming and shouldn't be necessary, but it's not like we have a choice these days!

BTW: I find that since Overload unlocked their fx, the Sonar preset fx chains containing their Breverb gets confused and will load with the reverb FX in default, losing any changes you may have made.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/29 13:36:05 (permalink)
Basseman

I've tested it: 

Bassman.

It may well be a Windows version specific issue, as I can't reproduce this on Windows 7 (although I do use a subtly different process):

- Insert plug-in to FX bin on track
- Double click in preset name box to make it editable
- Type "Sausages" (without quotes)
- Hit Save icon
- Click preset name drop-down icon

"Sausages" is present in the list.

Not that there is any need to save a preset for SONAR to remember it: the plug-in's settings are (should be!) saved irrespective of whether a preset has been created for said settings.

I don't want to belittle Sharke's problems, but this clearly isn't and never was a widespread issue as it wasn't exactly mentioned much on the forum - I've had it happen myself with specific plug-ins 100% of the time (the plug-ins themselves have the problem as the same issue arises in other hosts), but the case here is almost certainly something "unexpected" about Sharke's projects, environment or plug-in combinations that causes this.

Windows 7 x64 SP1
SONAR x86/x64

Intel Q6600/8GB
MOTU UltraliteMk3 (USB/ASIO)
Edirol PCR300
sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/29 14:38:22 (permalink)
pwalpwal
sharke I wouldn't have thought that Melodyne clips would affect plugin settings in a million years, but something Noel said stuck in my mind and hey it's worth a try. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Waves-92-VST3-plugins-resetting-to-default-settings-after-saving-m2898482.aspx

You're obviously a better Googler than me!

James
sharke
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/29 14:48:09 (permalink)
KPerry
Basseman

I've tested it: 

Bassman.

It may well be a Windows version specific issue, as I can't reproduce this on Windows 7 (although I do use a subtly different process):

- Insert plug-in to FX bin on track
- Double click in preset name box to make it editable
- Type "Sausages" (without quotes)
- Hit Save icon
- Click preset name drop-down icon

"Sausages" is present in the list.

Not that there is any need to save a preset for SONAR to remember it: the plug-in's settings are (should be!) saved irrespective of whether a preset has been created for said settings.

I don't want to belittle Sharke's problems, but this clearly isn't and never was a widespread issue as it wasn't exactly mentioned much on the forum - I've had it happen myself with specific plug-ins 100% of the time (the plug-ins themselves have the problem as the same issue arises in other hosts), but the case here is almost certainly something "unexpected" about Sharke's projects, environment or plug-in combinations that causes this.

I've heard quite a few people say it's happened to them, usually when I brought it up myself though. Makes me wonder why others weren't so vocal about it. It drives me nuts!

I don't think there's anything particularly "out there" about my projects other than the fact that they tend to get very large. Sometimes in the region of 100+ tracks, two or three dozen synths (most turned off after bouncing), a lot of routing (sidechaining, patch points etc), and a LOT of MIDI and automation flying around.

From reading discussions on the Facebook group about how many tracks and plugins people use in their typical projects, it does look like most Sonar users put light or moderate demands on the program - tracking a few traditional instruments and only using a couple of synths if any. The majority of people were saying they never get any higher than 20-30 tracks. I've noticed these problems always happen in large projects that I've been working on for a long time (across multiple Sonar versions/updates) and so I remain convinced that a combination of age, size and complexity are the factors which determine whether or not this bug manifests itself in a project.

MIDI and automation have never been watertight in Sonar and there are a lot of times when this data ends up in places it's not supposed to. I think somewhere along the way, Sonar is firing off a message to these plugins to reset themselves. Like I've said before, someone else on the beta team said they saw it happen with the Quadcurve while they were clicking the playhead to different positions on the timeline, so perhaps it is something which is sent to the plugin while changing the playhead position (which in turn seems like it might have some kind of link to ARA).

James
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/29 15:24:03 (permalink)
I'm sure you're not imagining this :-)  More than annoying, I agree, but if "normal" usage is, as you say, 20-30 tracks, then large projects probably are the exceptional case...

Windows 7 x64 SP1
SONAR x86/x64

Intel Q6600/8GB
MOTU UltraliteMk3 (USB/ASIO)
Edirol PCR300
abacab
Re: Possible fix for plugin settings not being saved? 2018/01/29 16:42:04 (permalink)
I seem to recall a discussion once in a computer science class regarding the testing for "corner cases" (not obvious) situations, and how important it is to conceive of every possibly combination of variable uses in order to break the program.

I am sure there is probably a set of conditions that needs to be tested for that would only arise given the scope of a project that sharke described.  Probably difficult to achieve that exact combination of variables in a testing lab, especially considering that some of the projects have existed, been modified, etc., through several versions of Sonar and/or Windows ...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1