Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
three_eyed_otter
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
2005/01/08 09:45:36 (permalink)

Pragmatism/Manuals

o.k.

being the new year i generally try something new to help organize my life more.
well, on my laptop i decided it was time to have a Manuals folder and i slapped this smack dab in the middle of the C: drive.
the thing about the manual situation is, i love paper manuals and hate PDF's and HTML's. I hate them so much i have to be totally desperate to use them.
anyways i gathered all the manuals and help files for all of my software instruments and FX and poof, i, through the wonders of digital magic--not to be construed as sampling moved them to the new folder.
now that i know exactly where they are, i have used them more than anytime in the past 3yrs.

hi,
my name is Bryan and i'm a manual folder user

have a good one
3Eo

30 Replies Related Threads

blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/08 11:29:39 (permalink)
    I hear ya on the PDF manual subject. There's no-way i can read one of those things for more than a couple of minutes without getting dizzy with eye strain. The first question i ever asked on this message board was "does p5 come with a paper manual?" Thankfully, the reply was yes, but if it had been no then i might not have bothered with it. Shallow, but true i'm afraid,
    woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/08 22:11:42 (permalink)
    OTOH - having the ability to search thru a PDF for what you want I find to be quite handy. Best to have paper and the PDF methinks.

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/10 11:00:12 (permalink)
    personally,

i'm a paper waster. i upgraded to the full version of V-Sampler and printed out the 160 pages of manual. the stories on V-Sampler being so convoluted led me to believe i never w/just a PDF.

have a good one
    3Eo
    blipp
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/10 13:30:02 (permalink)
    OTOH - having the ability to search thru a PDF for what you want I find to be quite handy

Yeh, but you can't read a PDF when you're on the Toilet. Er, unless you have a laptop of course.

Sorry to drag the conversation down chaps.
    < Message edited by blipp -- 1/10/2005 6:49:49 PM >
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/10 15:08:27 (permalink)
    Sorry to drag the conversation down chaps.

no worry. we'll just flush the thought and get out the lavender air freshener.--non-aerosol of course.

have a good one
    3Eo
    j2eeGeek76
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 08:10:45 (permalink)
    I too prefer paper over pdf... you might be interested in checking out PrintFu... http://www.printfu.org
    woodaputty
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 09:29:10 (permalink)
    This is in reply to the person who started this thread, not to J2eeGeek76

Who cares? But I'm now on the edge of my seat waiting to hear the next exciting life revelation you come up with, because after all, the world does revolve around you. Here's one I'm biting my nails waiting to find out: Which way do you load the toilet paper - down or up? While you're pondering your most likely grandiose and self-absorbed answer, please tell us what these issues have to do with Project 5? If nothing, then please take them elsewhere. Thank you!
    < Message edited by woodaputty -- 1/22/2005 6:44:04 AM >

Signatures, like pictures, logos, and avatars indicate immaturity and an inflated sense of self-importance, many times exhibited by those going through some type of mid-life crisis.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 09:48:22 (permalink)
    Way to make some friends here, Bob. I think you may have taken a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at the P5 forum. We're a little more open here to general thoughts which often prove to be valuable to the members of this forum. That includes some OT diversions, song posts, stabs at humor, and advice that may not fall neatly under a Project5 category. And Bryan is one who has contributed a great deal on a variety of topics.

That said, welcome to the forum, and I hope that you'll find the style here to be a refreshing change from those elsewhere on the 'net, or even among the Cakewalk forums. BTW: If you load the TP facing back, it lies more neatly against the wall when you find yourself in a bit of a hurry.
    blipp
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 10:14:11 (permalink)
    When i grow up, i wanna be a member of the forum police squad too.

peace.
    < Message edited by blipp -- 1/22/2005 3:21:51 PM >
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 10:15:04 (permalink)
    I beg to differ B Rock. In my blockbuster and up-and-coming tutorial, "LOCK 'n LOAD", I explain my findings after a thorough investigative study on the myths and facts about loading the toilet paper spool!

I even unearth the mystery behind the often-asked "Do toilets flush CLOCK-WISE or COUNTER CLOCK-WISE under the equator?"...

Plus tips on usage like " is it better to fold it or scrunch it!? " and "the hurried-man's guidebook"

Stay tuned! and...sorry in advance to Woody!
    woodaputty
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 17:18:27 (permalink)
    BTW my name is (of course) not Bob. But it's sad to hear that you guys are willing to waste time, energy, and bandwidth (albeit very little of the latter), on non-P5 topics. Why not create a "free" section so you guys can discuss these all-important topics ad nauseum, while those of us who are really focused on P5 can get the information we need without all of this wasted time reading through these types of inane threads?

And while we wait for the all-important announcement from Mr. 3EE regarding the TP direction, (I continue to be sleepless and on the edge of my seat in anticipation; after his TP announcement, maybe he'll start a thread on paper versus plastic grocery bags), I will put my vote in for downward facing - just the way I've always done it. I'm sure upward facing may have advantages, but I'm just too set in my ways at this point.

Meanwhile (and sorry to get "off topic"), I am really looking forward to finding out more about P5V2, especially how the guy who designed Z3ta will figure in to the suite of softsynths and samplers that will come with the new version of P5.
    blipp
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 17:24:29 (permalink)
    Meanwhile (and sorry to get "off topic"), I am really looking forward to finding out more about P5V2, especially how the guy who designed Z3ta will figure in to the suite of softsynths and samplers that will come with the new version of P5.

Hey, i am too, but paper vs plastic grocery bags is an important subject too you know.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 17:59:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: blipp
    Hey, i am too, but paper vs plastic grocery bags is an important subject too you know.

kill a tree dig up a dinosaur
    blipp
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 18:12:01 (permalink)
    kill a tree dig up a dinosaur

See, i told you it was important.
    rabeach
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/22 18:13:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: woodaputty

BTW my name is (of course) not Bob. But it's sad to hear that you guys are willing to waste time, energy, and bandwidth (albeit very little of the latter), on non-P5 topics. Why not create a "free" section so you guys can discuss these all-important topics ad nauseum, while those of us who are really focused on P5 can get the information we need without all of this wasted time reading through these types of inane threads?

And while we wait for the all-important announcement from Mr. 3EE regarding the TP direction, (I continue to be sleepless and on the edge of my seat in anticipation; after his TP announcement, maybe he'll start a thread on paper versus plastic grocery bags), I will put my vote in for downward facing - just the way I've always done it. I'm sure upward facing may have advantages, but I'm just too set in my ways at this point.

i agree somewhat as a lot that gets posted here could be posted in the coffee house but your waste of energy and bandwidth and sophomoric altitude in pointing this out to the forum is a waste of my time and anyone who reads your post. your condescending attitude i guess goes along with that megalomaniacal intelligence that you possess. the guy's name is Rene. your lack of respect towards Rene and the people who post here is what is sad.
    < Message edited by rabeach -- 1/22/2005 6:22:08 PM >
    woodaputty
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 07:39:42 (permalink)
    LOL! I've been visiting here as a guest for months and have had that picture shoved down my throat hundreds of times, and I'm the one with no respect? LOL again!
    < Message edited by woodaputty -- 1/23/2005 5:07:33 AM >
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 09:12:19 (permalink)
    A troll in the P5 forum. I can't believe it.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 09:33:25 (permalink)
    Putty,

We've asked Cake for a format similar to what you have indicated... somewhere where the important stuff can get stickied and separated from the other buzz & chatter.

As you can see, it never happened so we are forcibly made to continue this way. There's been so little happening with P5 since its inception that I'm sure you can understand we've had to resort to TOILET PAPER discussion!

Its sad...true. But we're the diehards here...we really don't mind just poppin' our heads in to say Hi! HOws the weather?... this is what you should expect from a community of users that have grown to become friends. If you're not interested in the comradery here, then you're wasting your time...otherwise...WELCOME ABOARD!!
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 09:41:37 (permalink)
    and I'm the one with no respect?

Yes, you *are* the one with no respect. You can't incorporate yourself to an already-formed community and criticize the community itself, especially when you're not contributing with any useful info yourself.

We are not tech support. We are not here to answer your questions, although we surely will if we can. We are just a bunch of people who happen to have one thing in common: Project-5 (or, in my case, PSyn), but that does not restrict the topics to P5-only. If you don't like a topic, stop reading it.

In fact, the original post by 3Eo *is* related to P5. He explained how he found a way to get some use out of PDF manuals, and he may have thought that info could be useful to someone else in the community. Not you, obviously, but maybe someone else will also try gathering their manuals in a single folder and take advantage of it.

Now, about your questions about P5v2, this is the best we have so far:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/Project5v2_DataSheet_FM.pdf

There it says that PSyn-2 will now have an fx section (possibly thanks to Rene), and that there will be a new megasynth from rgc:audio. Doesn't say much about it but so far we know that it has 4 oscillators which can be sample-based or analog-modelled. From the picture you can see it also has some complex envelopes and modulation options. I really wish that picture had better resolution.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    blipp
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 15:00:51 (permalink)
    we've had to resort to TOILET PAPER discussion!

oops. I think i was probably responsible for that.
    < Message edited by blipp -- 1/23/2005 8:17:53 PM >
    Locopomo2
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 15:46:08 (permalink)
    Signatures, like pictures, logos, and avatars indicate immaturity and an inflated sense of self-importance, many times exhibited by those going through some type of mid-life crisis.

Guilty as charged....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro" - Hunter S Thompson
    rabeach
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 16:29:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: woodaputty

LOL! I've been visiting here as a guest for months and have had that picture shoved down my throat hundreds of times, and I'm the one with no respect? LOL again!

lol. not sure i follow you. your esoteric sense of humor may be outside the radar field of my funny bone. you are offended by a piece of art i did in my teens. and i'm being disrespectful to you by displaying it under my name. <g> you're so strange you might be growing on me.
    woodaputty
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 17:12:03 (permalink)
    rabeach - not talking about your picture. If you think about my screen name, you'll most likely figure out what picture I'm talking about.

DA - nice reply - I'm chilled - honey works so good, doesn't it. Much better than vinegar or lemon.

Others - I think it was me who started the toilet paper reference as an analogy in my first post.

Others again - Thanks for the info on P5V2. I've been interested in and followed P5 almost since its inception, via Cakewalk's site and this forum. Never bought because of high CPU usage reports, and a few other niggles. But I'm really psyched about V2.

Others again - most likely no-one cares about my picture, but it will come down when the offending picture I mention comes down. At that time I will also be willing to have admins erase all my posts, as well as my entire profile. I will then re-register under a different name with no picture. In other words, if I haven't made my point by now, it won't be made.

Sincerely,

woodaputty
    woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 20:18:14 (permalink)
    I just hope its my ugly mug you are sick of seeing, cause here it is again.
    And if not - who cares? Its not like anyone is forcing you to participate, nor are you paying a fee to access this forum.
    Like I said just the other day in another OT post, one reason I like this forum is that pepole don't generally whine about things on here, most everyone is quite mellow and courteous. So why not just relax and take whatever good things you can get out of here whenever they present themselves and not waste your energy getting steamed?
    And thats it, no more comments on this subject from me, I've just discovered how excellent the P5 tempo delay is, off to work on that.
    < Message edited by woodamand -- 1/23/2005 5:29:32 PM >

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    woodaputty
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2005/01/23 20:36:40 (permalink)
    You "da man"!
    Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2006/11/28 16:31:11 (permalink)
    I don't know how I missed this (except that it was in the Project5 forum -- and I don't own Project 5). This is a no-brainer of a suggestion -- DUH!! I'm glad you posted it three eye! It's just one of those things I should have done months and months ago.

By the way -- I also have printed some manuals, including the entire Sound Forge 8, Vegas 6, CD Arch, and DVD Arch PDFs. That gets EXPENSIVE.

I'll tell ya, I never expected that it would be great for anything except DAW work; but having two CRTs makes reading tutorials while working with the corresponding software SOOOOOOO much easier. [Of course, it's also nice to be able to watch a DVD & browse the web, respond to email, etc. at the same time.]

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2006/11/29 03:19:36 (permalink)
    By the way -- I also have printed some manuals, including the entire Sound Forge 8, Vegas 6, CD Arch, and DVD Arch PDFs. That gets EXPENSIVE.

Not when it's the nice big expensive printer at work! hehe

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2006/11/30 13:36:13 (permalink)
    tha printed manuals are great when you run out of looroll

jlgrimes
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1639
    RE: Pragmatism/Manuals 2006/12/09 09:12:10 (permalink)

being the new year i generally try something new to help organize my life more.
    well, on my laptop i decided it was time to have a Manuals folder and i slapped this smack dab in the middle of the C: drive.
    the thing about the manual situation is, i love paper manuals and hate PDF's and HTML's. I hate them so much i have to be totally desperate to use them.
    anyways i gathered all the manuals and help files for all of my software instruments and FX and poof, i, through the wonders of digital magic--not to be construed as sampling moved them to the new folder.
    now that i know exactly where they are, i have used them more than anytime in the past 3yrs.

There are good pdfs and bad pdfs. Propellerheads, Native Instruments make great PDFs in my opinion. Cubase's manual is nice as well.

P5's manual is a bit disorganized for me. It places very little focus on sequencing (that's probably just my opinion).
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1