Problems with Acronis--solved!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
2010/08/10 17:13:11 (permalink)

Problems with Acronis--solved!

I mentioned this in the software forum, and several guys were very helpful.  But alas, my problem has not yet been solved.  I contacted Acronis and they've been trying to help me get it to work.  Here's the latest email.  I've tried all this before, though, and usually get hung up when I try to burn the disk, as it just won't burn. 

I have one HD now and have installed two new, bigger ones.  I simply wanted to clone my present HD onto the two new ones and use THEM as the main drive and backup drive.  (My present one is almost full.)  I successfully cloned the first one following the fairly simple directions.  But cloning the second one has proved impossible, as I get the error message that the disk I'm trying to clone to is smaller than the source disk (which it's not.)  Someone thought maybe it's because one is listed as the secondary master and one as the secondary slave.   I haven't yet gotten down on my knees and found my flashlight and glasses to try see if I could change what he recommended.

The bottom line:  these directions he gives sound rather convoluted for what should be a rather straight-forward process.  If one of you good fellows can figure out what he's talking about, I'd be much obliged.  If not, I may just look for another cloning program. 

As you have mentioned that you are not able to clone the drive, I request you to please follow the steps in the link mentioned below to perform the cloning operation:
1)Please download the ISO of Acronis True Image Home 2010 from the link mentioned below:

http://download.acronis.com/sl/ppzmrolicbpyvxqvzhjp/support/ISO/isolinux/TrueImage_7046_multiparam_Standard_english_il.iso

Please note that the above mentioned link will remain valid only for 14 days and can be downloaded for a maximum of 5 times.

After downloading the ISO please burn it to a CD/DVD which will create an Acronis Bootable Media. Please follow the steps in the link mentioned below to burn the ISO to a CD/DVD:

http://kb.acronis.com/content/1810

2) Boot the computer with the Acronis Bootable Media.

3)Once you have booted  the computer with the Acronis Bootable Media please select Tools & Utilities -> Clone disk in the main program menu.

4)Select the source disk as the disk which has to be cloned from the list of disk available-> click Next.

5)Select the destination disk as the disk on which you want to clone(New hard disk) -> Click Next.
Please note that the previously selected source becomes grayed-out and disabled for selection.

6)Once you have selected the partition on which you want to clone you will get a prompt warning that the data in the selected disk will be deleted.

7) Please select the cloning method as :
As is-if you want to keep the size of the partition on the destination disk same as it is on the source disk.
Proportional – the new disk space will be proportionally distributed among cloned partitions
Manual – you will specify the new size and other parameters yourself

Click Next ->Click Next.
8)Please click on Finish.

After the disk cloning is finished please detach one of the disk which has been cloned as in case we clone a disk with system partition the computer will not be able to boot to the operating system.

If the destination disk is unformatted then please follow the steps mentioned below:
1)Boot the computer with the Acronis Bootable Media.

2)select Tools & Utilities ? Add New Disk in the main program menu.

3)To create a partition, click Create new partition on the toolbar and set the new partition location and size. You can do this both by entering values in the Free space before, Partition size, Free space after fields, and by dragging partition borders or the partition itself.

4)Click the Accept button and you will be taken back to the Partition Creation screen. Check the resulting partition's settings if it is correct and click on Accept else start creating another partition by clicking Create new partition again. You can also edit the new partition's settings by clicking Edit on the toolbar or delete it by clicking Delete.

5)Click Next and Click Proceed.

6)After creating the partition please perform the cloning operation as mentioned in the steps 2 to 8 where I have mentioned how to perform the cloning operation.

Please refer to the section-20.3 /page-163 to 168 for cloning steps and refer to the section-21/page-169-171 in the User Guide of Acronis True Image Home 2010. Please refer to the link mentioned below to access the User Guide of Acronis True Image Home 2010:

http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage2010_UserGuide.en.pdf

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be glad to assist you. I look forward to your response.

Bishwajit Choudhary
post edited by Janet - 2010/08/17 17:42:34

54 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/10 17:17:18 (permalink)
    if you've successfully cloned one drive, why not try to clone the 2nd drive from the 1st clone?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/10 17:18:05 (permalink)
    Tried that too.
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/10 17:20:57 (permalink)
    Hi,

Janet ... I think I would have returned the software and demanded the money back ... make sure you show the vendor the emails and the fact that their support didn't help very much.

If I had a store with that product I would remove it and send all the products back to the vendor! On the spot!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/10 17:25:18 (permalink)
    True.  I could do that.  But it's highly recommended by several on this forum.  So I'm sure it's basically a good program.  Just not for me.

Hmm, like that's never happened before!  lol
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/10 18:53:18 (permalink)
    Hi Janet,

Even though a disk be X size, it seems as it has been somehow PARTITIONED, and maybe it is that the cloning being attempted is to one such partition, and the partition is too small to clone the source disk.

If that is so, then delete the partitions of the cloned disk, so the target disk is one single partition as large as the disks total capacity.

Remember that if a hard disk is partitioned into, say two partitions, Acronis will consider the one Hard disk as if it were two hard disks, more or less.

There is a companion product to True Image, called the Acronis Disk Director Suite.

That Disk Director is used to examine disks and manage partitions.

I always have used the two products together, as the True Image is basically limited to doing cloning/recovery.

The other product is, to me, a must.

But you can also do, I believe some partition work from Windows. But basically, you need to make sure you only have ONE partition in the disk, formatted. And that partition occupies the entire disk.

Hope all resolves.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    pdlstl
    • Total Posts : 991
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/10 19:17:17 (permalink)
    Janet,

Let me start by saying I can't help you.

But...I did want to add, I had a booger of a time with Acronis. Never did get it work right. When I first tried to use it, from then on it wanted to try and boot from my DVD drive. I had to go into the BIOS to fix this. But ever since, when my computer boots up for just a brief moment I get a "MBR Error 3" which I'm guessing means Master Boot Record. After that passes everything works pretty good...well, at least as 8.5.3 can on my machine.

I wish someone would come to Texas and make Acronis work right. Any takers...?

I'm feelin' ya'...

Earl
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/10 19:22:47 (permalink)
    NoKey, my son's looked into that possibility.  He thinks that since my C: drive is partitioned, that MIGHT be causing the problem, although it doesn't seem like it should.  And I'm not going to reformat that thing since it would take me weeks to reinstall everything.  Well, at least I'd rather not! 

Disk Director Suite, huh?  Not quite sure if I want to buy anything else from them, but I'll check into it.

Earl, it's sorta nice to know I'm not the only one.  On the one HD that it DID clone, the main files are about 4 files deep, so I'm not sure that one will even work to boot from.  I'm just hoping that I don't have to start with a fresh install of everything to get this to work.... (on a new drive)
    post edited by Janet - 2010/08/10 19:24:48
    NoKey
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 01:57:55 (permalink)
    Janet

NoKey, my son's looked into that possibility.  He thinks that since my C: drive is partitioned, that MIGHT be causing the problem, although it doesn't seem like it should.  And I'm not going to reformat that thing since it would take me weeks to reinstall everything.  Well, at least I'd rather not! 

Disk Director Suite, huh?  Not quite sure if I want to buy anything else from them, but I'll check into it.

Earl, it's sorta nice to know I'm not the only one.  On the one HD that it DID clone, the main files are about 4 files deep, so I'm not sure that one will even work to boot from.  I'm just hoping that I don't have to start with a fresh install of everything to get this to work.... (on a new drive)

Janet,

If the target is partitioned, that kind of would be it...That's why the message is that the target is smaller than the source.

Remember if you ask to reformat, and you reformat the partition, there is no partition gain.

The partitions have to be deleted first. Otherwise the same situation remains.

Good luck.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 04:43:05 (permalink)
    (Edit: Just read the original thread on Software-forum. I see lots has been tried. You can ignore this)

I've struggled with backup software a lot, and Acronis is the first one for me that delivered what was promised. So I sort of trust it.

I understand this so, that neither of the target drives is partitioned, and you want two full clones of a HD that is partitioned (instead of cloning one partition to each target drives). AND the OS is not on the source HD ??

Not knowing the details, and maybe a far shot:

Is there any possibility, that Acronis is "misunderstanding the task", ie. trying to clone both the original and the first clone on the other HD, and thus finding the space insufficient?

I don't really know how that would happen (the first clone HD is plugged off, isn't it?), but my experiences with other backup software taught me there are strange possibilities..
    post edited by Kalle Rantaaho - 2010/08/11 04:52:59

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 13:16:54 (permalink)
    NoKey, I checked last night and the original disk is partitioned, but the two new ones aren't, so that really doesn't make any sense.  :(

You read all that thread, Kalle?  Thank you.  Yeah, I know it should work.  These types of things are rather par for the course for me.  Unfortunately, my son's getting tired of fixing things for me.  He said yesterday, 'Quit trying to be so young, mom!'  (i.e., getting new software, etc.)  lol
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 13:50:57 (permalink)
    usually get hung up when I try to burn the disk, as it just won't burn.

They want you to use a boot disk to avoid problems with your OS.

If you can't burn the disk, then the rest is moot. First be sure that you downloaded the iso file in one piece. Best way to do that is to compare the MD5 of both files if they listed one for the download fie. At any rate be sure that you are not trying to burn a zero byte long iso. You will need a program that will burn an iso to CD. They give instructions for that here with windows 7. If you are not using Windows 7 you need another program that will write iso to CD. Nero does and so apparently does the free one they recommend  i. e. infrarecorder. You would need to download the appropriate version and install it on your computer then you can try burning. If none of them will burn the CD, you probably have a bad file.
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 14:00:00 (permalink)
    Wow, David, you read through all that?  :-)

Thanks for those instructions.  Those are the same ones they sent me (at least I've seen them before, but when I get to 'you have files waiting to be burned to CD' it just won't do it.  There are no choices to click.  I followed all those instructions and it seems to work, but then there's nothing on the CD.

Why would there be problems with my OS?  Especially when it cloned the first one just fine.

And another question...everything on my HD probably took 24 hours altogether to install.  Could it really only take 1 1/2 hours to clone all that...and everything really works?  That's mind-boggling to me. (but that's what happened.) 
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 14:21:27 (permalink)
    Sorry...it says you have files waiting to be burned to the CD and I click it and it does its thing.  But it's still not on the disk. 
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 14:34:08 (permalink)
    My son (a very good computer guy) recommended Acronis backup software.  That's what it is, right?  I tried the trial download and I fought that till I had to remove every bit of it off of my drive.  If my son recommended it I know it's good but it didn't work for me. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 14:39:19 (permalink)
    Then I'm in good company. :-)

Did he try it on your computer?
    slartabartfast
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 14:39:33 (permalink)
    it does its thing

OK so is this under Windows 7? Or have you tried the other applications?

You mean the disk drive runs, the little light comes on, and when you look at the surface of the disk under tangential lighting there is evidence of change to the disk surface near the hub? When you click on your CD burner in Computer does it say disk not present or does it list file(s) after the burn? Or is the disk just not being written to at all? What is the full name, and the size of the iso file?

Realize that this may well be a disk written in a format that Windows cannot read. Many boot disks are Linux based. If there really is something written to the CD (look at the disk itself compared to a blank disk) then it may be bootable even though Windows thinks there is nothing there. Try setting your bios to boot from CD drive as first device, put the disk in the drive and restart the computer.

BTW what is your OS and what version of Acronis are you using?
    ericyeoman
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 14:41:04 (permalink)

Sorry...it says you have files waiting to be burned to the CD and I click it and it does its thing. But it's still not on the disk

Are you copying the ISO image to the disk, or are you creating a CD from the ISO?

If you right click on the ISO file, there should be an option to 'Burn disc image'.

Assuming this is on your Windows 7 machine...
    post edited by ericyeoman - 2010/08/11 14:43:54

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 14:48:12 (permalink)
    David...yes, under Windows 7.  Other applications?

OK, I just looked at one of the disks.  It does indeed look like it's been burned.  I can open it up and it says it's there (TrueImage_7046_multiparam_standard_english_il).  It's 36.3 MB.  So maybe it's there after all, although it's under a heading that says 'Files Ready to be Written to the CD.'

My OS is Win7, isn't it?

Acronis True Image Home

I'm not confident enough to touch my bios so I think I'll leave that to an expert.  But maybe we'll get to the bottom of this after all. Thank you. 

Eric...I'm just following the instructions for burning a disk.  What should I be doing?
    ericyeoman
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 14:58:26 (permalink)

Eric...I'm just following the instructions for burning a disk. What should I be doing?

Ok, sounds like you're just burning the iso file to the disc.

I'll explain what an iso file is first.

An iso file is a single archive file that contains all the information that is on the disk, including all files and
    directory structure. The reason it exists is that it's easier to share over the internet, you download a single file
    instead of all sorts of directories and files. You can think of it as similar a zip file, but specifically for CD's.

You need to do the 'Burn disc image' so that it unwraps all those directories and files and puts them on the disc
    in the correct order. Thats what the 'Burn disc image' should do...

http://technet.microsoft....magazine/dd451080.aspx

HTH
    post edited by ericyeoman - 2010/08/11 15:01:58

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:01:26 (permalink)
    OK thanks.  I think that's what I did.  And that file I mentioned is on the disk.  Perhaps I just need to follow thru with what he said to do.  Maybe it's all right after all.  I'm not positive how I go about using this disk though, since when I click on that file, it just says to burn disk image. 

I guess I'm looking for some sort of program to come up (like the original Acronis disk I bought) so I can tell it to clone.  I'm obviously missing something though. 
    ericyeoman
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:03:43 (permalink)
    And that file I mentioned is on the disk.

If the iso file is on the disc, then it wont be correct.

Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:04:30 (permalink)
    So now what?
    ericyeoman
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:11:27 (permalink)
    Do you have something like Roxio or Nero?

They both have the function to create CD's from an iso.

Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:13:27 (permalink)
    No, it doesn't look like I do.
    slartabartfast
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:16:31 (permalink)
    when I click on that file, it just says to burn disk image.

Yes. It says that because you have a copy of an iso file and Windows knows to burn that "disk image" Find the file with the same name on your (Windows 7 only) computer and click it there. When it says burn disk image say OK and it should now put the correct files on the blank CD.

P.S. go to your folder options and uncheck the radio button that says "hide extension of known file types" Windows is not showing you the last part of the file name ie XXXX.iso so you can't tell what the file is. You often need to know if a file is a XXX.zip XXX.exe etc. in order to make any sense of what your are doing. Windows tries to hide this by default because MS thinks you are an idiot.
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:21:30 (permalink)
    Well, in my case, they're not far off.

But I've always thought those yay-hoos could explain things a little better, too, like you guys do here. 

Anyway, I'll look into that.  Thanks.
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:28:08 (permalink)
    OK, I did that.  I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I did before, but anyway, it seems like it's on the disk.  I still get the message 'files ready to be written to the CD' when I put in the CD.  But the iso file seems to be on the disk.
    slartabartfast
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:52:42 (permalink)
    So it sounds like you may not be getting the iso file properly expanded by Windows 7. If you just copy the same file that you downloaded to the CD, the CD will not be bootable, and will not contain Acronis. The iso file (which you do not know is an iso because the extension is hidden) is an image of a CD just like the image file you write with Acronis is an image of a hard drive or a zip file is an image of a group of files. Neither one is readable until you "expand" them with appropriate software. Check the file properties (right click on the file icon choose properties) of both the file you downloaded and the file on the CD. If they are the same, you have probably just copied the iso file--not good.

I would try using another program to see if you can avoid whatever is going wrong with Windows.

Go here and download isorecorder. Follow the instructions here to install it to your computer. Double click the downloaded file and it should install. You may have the usual problems with UAC. Then follow the instructions here to use it to write the file you got from acronis to write a boot CD.

post edited by slartabartfast - 2010/08/11 15:58:41
    Janet
    Re:Problems with Acronis 2010/08/11 15:56:00 (permalink)
    I did expand the file and it's an ISO file.  I guess you're saying my computer must not have the capability to expand it?  Right clicking doesn't give me the option, as it does with a .zip file. 

I'll try the isorecorder.  Thanks again!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1