Helpful ReplyProjectScope helps find CWPs and keeps them organized - updated to "Producer Edition"

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
sylent
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/05/16 22:36:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/05/16 22:43:56
bapu
You get Jerome to play bass on your tracks?

Now, I'm jealous.

Well, old Jerm is a good friend, but he's not too bright.
The last time the train almost got him .. good thing he wasn't born a drummer!

http://twisteddrive.com
Windows 7 Pro 64, i5-3570k 3.40GHz, 32Gb ram, NVIDIA Quatro 4000, 2x SSD, 2x 2Tb Dedicated storage and misc high-capacity HHD Storage, Sonar Platinum, Adobe CS6 Master Suite, Misc 3D, video, audio software. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56/octapre, Mackie MCU, other MIDI/control, rack effects, and more.
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/05/16 22:57:53 (permalink)
This thread really should be moved (say to NON Cakewalks software forum!!): admins must like this guy
sylent
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/05/16 23:56:33 (permalink)
joden
This thread really should be moved (say to NON Cakewalks software forum!!): admins must like this guy

Perhaps, but it is related to Sonar, created for use with Sonar, and works with nothing else but Sonar, unless I'm mistaken.
Either way I think it qualifies to be somewhere for Sonar users .. it is a simple, non-obtrusive, fast, helpful stand alone tool, that enhances my Sonar workflow actually.
But I agree if there's a better place for it.

As a daily Sonar user, I myself like this little utility, and I appreciate the work this guy did.

Not to sound sarcastic, apologies joden.

Windows 7 Pro 64, i5-3570k 3.40GHz, 32Gb ram, NVIDIA Quatro 4000, 2x SSD, 2x 2Tb Dedicated storage and misc high-capacity HHD Storage, Sonar Platinum, Adobe CS6 Master Suite, Misc 3D, video, audio software. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56/octapre, Mackie MCU, other MIDI/control, rack effects, and more.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/05/17 04:33:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2015/05/19 09:56:41
joden

Why not leave it to the moderators and hosts to worry about it. That's one of the functions of their role.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/05/18 19:48:52 (permalink)
czyky
Note on the file scanning. It supports the "standard" filename wildcards, so if you want all the Sonar files that begin with, say, Album 1, then use Album 1*. If you want all the project files that have Album 1 somewhere in the file name, then use *Album 1*

Hi czyky

FYI - Tried this with latest and greatest I confirm I didn't get it to work. Using file version 1.1.5.5, size is 1,342,464 bytes.

Thanks..

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: ProjectScope (very slick) 2015/05/18 20:11:02 (permalink)
Excellent utility! Thank you for the effort with this. The audio preview is a nice touch, especially since it is dynamic enough to realize I handn't turned on my A/I without crashing... just went through the Realtek

I have a habit of creating multiple projects in the same folder, so can get lost with which "original" project folder they were in. If possible, the ability to keyword search the project name would also be useful (especially for folks who never labeled tracks properly in years past ).

When I saw the Project Info pop up in this utility, it reminded me of this feature request. There are 4 text field types within a cwp (I believe), and not sure how difficult it is to consolidate them all into one text field. It seems you already have a start on this portion, and would help folks trying to get a "bird's eye" view of all the user text inside a cwp.

Neither of the above are "crucial" by any means, and the utility is incredibly useful as is.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: ProjectScope (very slick) 2015/05/18 23:25:29 (permalink)
It's utilities like this I was thinking about when I went on several rants about wanting better asset mgmt tools way back, and it was generally suggested that it wasn't worth it and instead people wanted more "whiz bang" features (not an actual quote). I think this shows that, actually, power users want better tools.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/05/19 09:26:17 (permalink)
czyky
... I have started another standard procedure on each of my projects:
  1. bounce a minute or so of the project to a new track,
  2. name the track "preview" (this causes the audio clip to get a "preview" name as well)
  3. then archive and hide the track. (I don't need to see the track generally, I only want it to generate a preview audio file.)

The bounced track's corresponding audio file shows up in the ProjectScope display when I peek at that project and I can audition what is in the project post haste (that's French for toot suite). On older projects, without the preview audio, I can make use of all those archived/frozen soft-synth tracks and audition those wav files to get an idea of the project anyway.

Auditioning a few seconds of the audio files is way faster than loading a project completely to hear what is in it, only to find it's not the droid, er, project that I was looking for.

This. Brilliant idea! Such a pragmatic approach to quickly finding or remembering an old project by its sound rather than file name.

Something that I'd love to see built into the Sonar product is a landing page that lists your recent projects and "pinned projects". Your idea of an audio preview on that landing page would be a great timesaver!

Cakewalk, if you're reading, then please do this!
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/05/19 09:52:04 (permalink)
Can Project Scope cope with the backup files (of the form <name>.cwp.~<timestamp> in a "nice" way?
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/05/19 13:18:07 (permalink)
A few minor issues or recommendations for the list view in the bottom LEFT pane:

- sorting by file size should be performed by numerical value rather than character 
  (i.e. it should sort these numbers: 1, 9, 20, 180, 905, 2100 rather than 1, 180, 20, 2100, 9, 905)

- sorting by date should be chronological date rather than by name of the month 
  (similar issue to the one above)

- it would be nice to have a "file name" column (without the path) so that you can easily see that information when the path is very long;  it would also allow you to sort by filename regardless of the path it is in.

Overall you've done a great job and this is a great tool to have.  I'd love to see more of this type of file admin in a future release of Sonar, but either way I hope you carry on with this endeavour.
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/01 13:19:18 (permalink)
Hi Mark

You PM'd me a while back and I forgot to reply, so huge apologies.
To confirm...

On the File itself, if I right click in it the file version is 1.2.0.7.
The product version is still 1.0.0.0 however.
After I execute it and click About I see 1.20.007

Also the search is greatly improved as I can search all files now. Wildcards are esp improved in the find filter dropdown - great!
Wildcards won't work in the Find dropdown below however, I'm confused as to why there are two search boxes.

Anyway this is great!

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
czyky
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/02 01:09:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Doktor Avalanche 2015/06/11 14:03:28
Dok Avalanche, thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear you see the improvements in ProjectScope.

There are two searches:
One is for project files, searching by filename, where the wildcards are, so to speak. Could be thought of as a search or a filter, similar to the search dropdown at the upper left of Windows File Explorer. So you can see a list of all Sonar projects with certain words in the file names, certain parts of words, or just ALL the projects ("*" which is the same as "*.cwp" in Windows File Explorer) in a directory tree (a specified folder and all its subfolders).

The other search is for items INSIDE the Sonar projects themselves. One could search for all one's Sonar projects that have the expression "Marissa Vocals" or "recorded 5-15-11" or "dog barking jingle bells", probably in some project notes you typed in the project's File Info. One could also search for all the Sonar projects that have, say, "Rapture Pro" as a softsynth in them. Or all the projects that use audio files with "Steve's Trashings" in their titles.

The two searches work together. You can search ALL your Sonar projects (*) for specific keywords WITHIN,
OR search only specific project files ("*june session #*", for example) for the keywords WITHIN those project files.

I am typing this out in detail for your benefit, Dok and others, but also with cut-and-paste in mind, as in--I am working on (**gasp**) documentation for ProjectScope so all will be revealed to the masses. Stay tuned!

(In the meantime, until said documentation appears, if anyone wants to share some tips on how they are using ProjectScope--or even how they _wish_ they could use ProjectScope--please feel free to share. Sharing is scaring, more or less!)

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
www.adamczyk.com
mudgel
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/11 03:44:10 (permalink)
czyky
Dok Avalanche, thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear you see the improvements in ProjectScope.

There are two searches:
One is for project files, searching by filename, where the wildcards are, so to speak. Could be thought of as a search or a filter, similar to the search dropdown at the upper left of Windows File Explorer. So you can see a list of all Sonar projects with certain words in the file names, certain parts of words, or just ALL the projects ("*" which is the same as "*.cwp" in Windows File Explorer) in a directory tree (a specified folder and all its subfolders).

The other search is for items INSIDE the Sonar projects themselves. One could search for all one's Sonar projects that have the expression "Marissa Vocals" or "recorded 5-15-11" or "dog barking jingle bells", probably in some project notes you typed in the project's File Info. One could also search for all the Sonar projects that have, say, "Rapture Pro" as a softsynth in them. Or all the projects that use audio files with "Steve's Trashings" in their titles.

The two searches work together. You can search ALL your Sonar projects (*) for specific keywords WITHIN,
OR search only specific project files ("*june session #*", for example) for the keywords WITHIN those project files.

I am typing this out in detail for your benefit, Dok and others, but also with cut-and-paste in mind, as in--I am working on (**gasp**) documentation for ProjectScope so all will be revealed to the masses. Stay tuned!

(In the meantime, until said documentation appears, if anyone wants to share some tips on how they are using ProjectScope--or even how they _wish_ they could use ProjectScope--please feel free to share. Sharing is scaring, more or less!)

I really enjoy all your latest updates. Didn't realise how much more there was to know about my projects. I thought I had made pretty good notes.
Do you mind if I host Projectscope on my Onedrive? I want to create a single place where all the utilities created by members here can be downloaded. I tried to PM but you have it turned off. reply here or by PM  TRhanks again for your efforts on behalf of the community.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/11 17:31:25 (permalink)

Hi czyky:

Thanks for sharing this utility with the SONAR community!

Can you include support for subfolders in the Cakewalk Projects directory, so that projects in subfolders can also be seen (without having to select the subfolder/s) when the Cakewalk Projects directory is selected in ProjectScope's browser? When I save a project as a .cwb, SONAR creates it in a subfolder of the Cakewalk Projects directory, and I have a good number of .cwb files. It's kind of tedious to have to keep clicking on different subfolders to see the .cwb files in them. This is why I ask for support for subfolders in the Cakewalk Projects directory.

I'd like to report that when I used the search feature, ProjectScope hanged with a freeze when it was scanning a revovered .cwp file named (Recover 09-05-14-00-20-59-327).cwp, but the 2nd time I did the search, it took a while but finished the search, so it could be I didn't wait long enough the 1st time I did the search.

I read that ProjectScope is supposed to remember the Cakewalk Projects directory, but after ProjectScope hanged when conducting a search and I closed it via the windows prompt that popped up because it was not responding, when I re-opened it, I had to browse to the Cakewalk Projects directory again when I wanted to use the search feature to search for a project. However, that, apparently, was because I ended the ProjectScope.exe process because it was hanging when conducting a search. When I re-opened ProjectScope, did a search again, and the search completed successfully, I closed and re-opened ProjectScope and the Cakewalk Projects directory was remembered. I'm reporting this in case anyone else runs into the same problem I had.

I think I'm using ProjectScope version 1.20. I just downloaded it today, but I'm not certain what version I have because there is no "about" option in the utility. Maybe an about option is a good idea to add.

Many thanks for your work! And cya around.
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2015/06/11 17:46:53

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
czyky
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/12 02:02:43 (permalink)
thomasbarnes, thanks for your comments. The work-around for viewing all projects in subdirectories is to do a search for *. and NO search string. That will effectively show you all a list of all files in the current, and sub-, directories. I will ponder a more efficient way to do this.

If you have a "problem" project (such as one that hangs ProjectScope), do you mind forwarding it to me? I understand if you don't want to, but it would help troubleshooting. (This goes for anyone having problems with ProjectScope and a project file.) I don't need any audio files or anything, just the .cwp file.

You "should" be able to see the "About" button, which will show the version information. It (the About button) is under the project file list to the right--on the opening panel. I suppose it should really be on the Options panel, but the About button got added first before the Options panel existed! I'll consider this a "feature request" to move the button.

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
www.adamczyk.com
mudgel
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/12 02:11:44 (permalink)
czyky
thomasbarnes, thanks for your comments. The work-around for viewing all projects in subdirectories is to do a search for *. and NO search string. That will effectively show you all a list of all files in the current, and sub-, directories. I will ponder a more efficient way to do this.

If you have a "problem" project (such as one that hangs ProjectScope), do you mind forwarding it to me? I understand if you don't want to, but it would help troubleshooting. (This goes for anyone having problems with ProjectScope and a project file.) I don't need any audio files or anything, just the .cwp file.

You "should" be able to see the "About" button, which will show the version information. It (the About button) is under the project file list to the right--on the opening panel. I suppose it should really be on the Options panel, but the About button got added first before the Options panel existed! I'll consider this a "feature request" to move the button.

Hi Mark
Do you mind if I host Projectscope on my Onedrive? I want to create a single place where all the utilities created by members here can be downloaded. I tried to PM but you have it turned off. reply here or by PM  Thanks again for your efforts on behalf of the community.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

sylent
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/12 03:00:21 (permalink)
mudgel
czyky

Hi Mark
Do you mind if I host Projectscope on my Onedrive? I want to create a single place where all the utilities created by members here can be downloaded. I tried to PM but you have it turned off. reply here or by PM  Thanks again for your efforts on behalf of the community.

I've been working on a user website to list utilities, and any other user-generated resources we wish to share.
I could link to your onedrive if you are making it permanent.

I've been wanting to do this for awhile, and finally getting to it.
I thought it would be cool to have a static place that links to the forum information, and other resources, but I haven't unveiled it formally yet, I guess this weekend is good. lol

Thanks guys

mudgel
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/12 03:13:12 (permalink)
I've spent a couple of days getting permission from the various users. Still a couple to go including Mark (czyky)
My plan was to put a folder for just Sonar Utilities on my Onedrive and place the link permanently in my signature/comments. I already have a Public folder full of useful Sonar documents and extracts from threads here on various topics. As I'm a fairly frequent and regular contributor here I thought it would give widespread acknowledgement to the developers and their programs and give folks the opportunity to hear about them.

I was also going to create a thread once I have all the permissions not only with the utilities and what they do (I've already written the documents) but links back to the thread that saw the programs birth so to speak.

I was even hoping for a sticky but that gets pretty crowded and folks complain about it.

Welcome your thoughts.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

thomasabarnes
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/12 04:21:57 (permalink)
Hi czyky:

I don't mind sending you the problem .cwp file. I discovered it's a corrupted file. When I double click on it SONAR 8 tries to open it (it's an old project dated 2009), but I get a message it can't open it because it has been truncated. SONAR 8 wont even open it in safe mode. SONAR X3 opens it in safe mode, but it's just a blank project.

As I said in my previous post, ProjectScope takes a while to scan this file, but if I wait it finishes the search. 

You can PM me the info for where you want me to send the file, if you still would like to check it out (I have created a .zip file of it)?

Sorry, but I don't see an "About" button for ProJectScope anywhere. The version I have is 1.2.0.7, according to the info under the Details tab, when I right-click on the ProjectScope.exe and go to Properties. A pic of where I'm supposed to find the "About" button could be helpful. :) But you don't have to provide a pic. I'm just saying I just don't see the "About" button. Maybe if it was under the Options tab, that would be easier to find.

Thanks for your time and work.
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2015/06/12 04:53:09

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
thomasabarnes
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/06/12 04:34:27 (permalink)
mudgel
I've spent a couple of days getting permission from the various users. Still a couple to go including Mark (czyky)
My plan was to put a folder for just Sonar Utilities on my Onedrive and place the link permanently in my signature/comments. I already have a Public folder full of useful Sonar documents and extracts from threads here on various topics. As I'm a fairly frequent and regular contributor here I thought it would give widespread acknowledgement to the developers and their programs and give folks the opportunity to hear about them.

I was also going to create a thread once I have all the permissions not only with the utilities and what they do (I've already written the documents) but links back to the thread that saw the programs birth so to speak.

I was even hoping for a sticky but that gets pretty crowded and folks complain about it.

Welcome your thoughts.

That's a great idea you have there, mudgel! A sticky for such a collection of SONAR goodies provided by users would be great, convenient for access, and appreciative of many to Cakewalk. It would be something like the SONAR Wiki thread Brandon started for us users.

Goodluck with your endeavors on this matter, and I hope Cakewalk will help out by making such a thread a sticky.

philsadler57
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2015/12/12 07:43:36 (permalink)
Hi!

This looks really useful. Just gotta agree with all those comments about the hours wasted  'load, play, move on' looking for something to work on today. Really loved that 'preview' concept up there somewhere, seems like a d good idea to just work through ALL those directories once more to audio out a preview...

Thanks to you all for the useful input, and of course to the OP for this utility!

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2016/07/24 12:08:47 (permalink)
Just a heads up - Avast blocked the download of the executable file, with its code of DREP infection.

Turns out that it has insufficient data on the domain and on the application, so it flags it.

I added your domain to the Avast exclusions list and then it allowed the download.  I then did a manual scan of the executable and it showed no infection.

So, IF folks are getting antivirus flags trying to download this wonderful utility, the above sorts of steps for whatever antivirus software is running can get it downloaded, and then verified to be clean from virus infection.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Elffin
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1196
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2016/07/24 18:31:07 (permalink)
@Czyky

Hope you are ok with me sharing your file in the Software forum sticky thread - I took over Mudgel's post and I try to place all relevant Sonar utilities  in an 'ordered thread'.

Can you pm if you update your handy program so I still share the most relevant file?
Cheers and thanks for your hard work.

Website | SoundCloud
DAW: SONAR Platinum  Audio I/OMOTU Ultralite mk3
Memory: 16gb Video: AMD 5700 HD
Storage: 1 x WD Caviar blue 500mb, 2 x 2TB Seagate Barricudas
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: This utility helps me keep my cwps organized 2017/12/10 00:08:42 (permalink)
A quick bump to this thread. There has been a feature request on the Studio One forums to add the "Ability to import SONAR projects." and I added a link to this thread to that discussion. The highest feature request over there has roughly 450 votes, so we as a community can probably top that with ease.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1