Protools 8 notation - when will Cakewalk listen?

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
garrigus
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8599
RE: Spittin' in the wind ... 2008/12/19 15:26:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

We're all still waiting for a Notation program that will translate digital audio into notation. I won't be holding my breath.

Check this out...

Innovative Music Systems
IntelliScore Ensemble helps you transcribe music by converting multiple-instrument CD audio, WAV, MP3, and WMA files to multi-track MIDI (.mid) files containing the notes played broken down by instrument, chord names, and key. More info on the DigiFreq Deals page...
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/deals.asp

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Spittin' in the wind ... 2008/12/20 05:02:24 (permalink)
Yes Scott I've heard of Inteliscore. I've also heard it's highly inaccurate. Have you used it? When I have to edit out the breath noises in notation I'll be satisfied. ( Just kidding)

Craig DuBuc
Wotan PE
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Protools 8 notation - when will Cakewalk listen? 2010/08/18 19:54:45 (permalink)
Good point! I work almost exclusively with notation to Midi for my orchestral compositions, and I use Finale 2010b instead of Sibelius for two reasons.

Firstly, I am of the opinion that Finale is way easier to use, and I love the humanized playback features (when used in Finale).

Second, I've had tremendous results by simply  "saving" straight to midi, and then importing the midi files into Sonar. The above mentioned playback features need to be disabled in the human playback menu (when saving), and the tempo times do not quite seem to match sometimes, but the saved midi files retain pitch, articulation, timing and dynamics from the score superbly well. Simply load the softsynths (Kontakt or GPO for example) into Sonar, import the saved midi files (all instruments to seperate tracks when saving) enter your tempos and changes into Sonar and it's one click and done. Stupid easy! You can also use Finale's GPO plugin and save straight to audio and import that way if you like (Finale's unique GPO samples are far inferior to LASS or Vienna samples though, particularly for that "in your face" TV and movie recorded scoring sound.)

Theres also several posts here concerning re-wire and using Sonar and Finale at the same time, similar to Sibelius. I've never done that because I like to micro-manage the steps in the process a bit more, but to each his own

It seems to me that DAW software and standard notation have never been good bedfellows simply because so few DAW users are standard notation users. I don't think it should be this way either, but standard notation has become a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to contemporary studio music. DAWs are midi/recording programs. How many "big studio" producers actually read standard notation, much less use it? Thats the question.

This simple Finale/Sonar workaround has done wonders for my notation work. Piano reduction sheet music? One click. Play 16 midi tracks as a reduction on a piano? One click. Print Parts? One click. Organ and bagpipe composition? (god forbid) No problem. With Win 7 and a decent sound card you can simply pop back and forth between Finale and Sonar, and compose a string quartet, print the parts, and burn cd's (or MP3s) for musicians, all in a couple hours. and the 64-bit recordings from sonar speak for themselves.

To think what I actually paid for "band in a box" when I was in college actually makes me a little ill...

Best-
W
jasonthurley
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: Protools 8 notation - when will Cakewalk listen? 2010/08/18 23:38:32 (permalink)
UnderTow

ORIGINAL: Waldemar Brisk

I'm afraid it didn't. First: companies who want to satisfy only the needs of their present customers won't be long-lived. So whatever the percentage is of Sonar users who desire better notation, the real question is: what is this persentage among the potential Sonar users? What are the prevalent expectations on a program such as Sonar? How do the features in Sonar match up to those in its competitors?

I wholeheartedly agree. It is very dangerous to keep polling the current customer base especially when the product isn't yet in the big league (despite what many people seem to believe). I still feel that Sonar is stuck in the prosumer and amateur paradigm partly because Cakewalk ask the current customer base what they want instead of looking at what the high-end competition offers.

Even if the current user base has high-end users, I believe these users are not as likely to spend time on filling in questionnaires and feature requests. If they are not happy, they will just move on to another product. In a professional environment, the cost of purchase is only a very small portion of the overall cost of a product. As a simple example, in a pro environment with good turn-over, it is cheaper to buy a $100.000 fully specced out Pro Tools rig with an ICON controller than it is to spend $500 on Sonar. The productivity gains (and brand recognition) far outweigh the initial investment.

Due to this, these type of users and customers evaluate software in very different ways than the average home-based musician or studio owner. That's all fine and understandable and I am not suggesting Cakewalk completely change their strategy. I am just suggesting they take the responses to polls and questionnaires with a large grain of salt.

UnderTow
This was very well said. I have said that I feel Sonar is getting there if compared to a Pro Tools Rig. I use both.

Digidesign has been owned by Avid for a little while now and the only change is that they are doing away with the name "digidesign" and are labeling everything in that sector or company with Avid now. 

Sibelius is by far the most powerful and accurate notation software out on the public market. LEt me think about this though... more and more options and more and more processing equil less room for plug-ins and automation data. It would be nice in my opinion to offer a plug-in software for such work that can be a stand alone software or opened within Sonar to do more accurate notation.

For those of you who don't think you would ever be interested in notation one of my fav' features of the lastest Sibelius is auto detecting notation from recordin instruments.  So play your guitar and it automatically calculates the notes and tempo and key your playing and then puts it in notation for you automatically...... talk about a really nice benifit to Pro Tools users.....

Bottom line... I personally go around this by either recording intial midi in Sonar and exportineg to another platform or visa versa......

dr.hash
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
RE: Protools 8 notation - when will Cakewalk listen? 2010/08/19 00:35:34 (permalink)
OK my two cent's, I would love a fully functioning score feature.  This is because i can read music and as some of you may know i am doing my version of Strawberry Fields for my masters.  To be able to input from the score into Sonar would have made my life a lot easier.  On saying that no other program that is DAW have integrated things like a a step sequencer or arpeggiator or the matrix player, these functions make this program really flexiable.  These are really cool functions and can be used in a live situation.  So that's the trade off.  I was able to use the piano roll to input the score, it was just hard double checking things.

I’m not being conceited or arrogant, I just want to give away the formula for turning lead into gold.
Down with the false Gods. (Audio Schools)
Viva la Revolution
Sonar Forever, Pro Tools Never
Ben B.C.T (Bachelor of Creative Technology)
http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
post edited by dr.hash - 2010/08/19 00:38:30
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
RE: Protools 8 notation - when will Cakewalk listen? 2010/08/19 02:10:55 (permalink)
I fought buying a notation program for months, scraping by with SONARS staff view ..I took part in threads such as these, voicing my opinions about "we need better notation!!"  Finally I broke down out of necessity and bought Sibelius.  Holy cow the best friggin thing I've done.  Now I compose in Sibelius and import the midi files into Sonar for some doctoring.  It's really alot easier than I thought it was going to be.  

In conclusion, I gave up on Sonars staff view dream and made myself much happier.  I had never opened a real notation program until I brought Sibelius and thats when my life happiness jumped up several notches...I sometimes high five the manual when no one is around, thats how awesome I think the program is!

My 2 cents on the subject, not that anyone asked.
-Mike

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
RE: Protools 8 notation - when will Cakewalk listen? 2010/08/19 02:40:36 (permalink)
slartabartfast

I did not know this:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/SWOV/default.asp

In that case, it is possible that Cakewalk signed a sales agreement incuding language not to compete with the company they sold their stuff to. It would be very unlikely that they could use the work they put into a product they sold to improve a product they retain. They might even be inhibited from developing in this area because of considerations of being accused of violating their sales agreement or re-using code that they had ostensibly sold.

ORIGINAL: Vovchik

Cakewalk once had a program named Overture, now it belongs to some different company. It was not top-notch notator, but definitely did the job. So no need to reinvent the wheel, just use old development.

For me, it would be enough to improve only two aspects of the notation department in Sonar: A) tuplets and B) note spacing.

This above sounds like a very logical explanation to this. That would be very normal busines procedure. Who knows...

I can't read music,  that's why I would be very happy to have a reliable
notation function in Sonar. Nothing fancy, just reliability.

No matter what the kids say, notation is the international languge of music makers. In practically any serious musical activity, sooner or later, notation reading skills are needed (that you find a workaround and somehow manage without it, doesn't mean it isn't needed).
A fluent use of notation opens a whole new world to a musician compared to tabulatures and learning by listening.

When I print a staff  of a piano part in a song of mine, I would like to be reasonably sure of that the notation makes sense to a piano player. You don't go to a session with a recorder and ask the pianist to start listening and learning (well...of course you can do that). An instrumentalist with normal skills can play stuff of mediocre difficulty level almost prima vista. You can't and mustn't underestimate the importance of notation, no matter if you actually need it yourself or not.

When a person about to buy music software is asking for recommendations, the ones, who's word has the most weight, recommend the one that fills the essential needs best. "That one is ok but the notation sucks, that other one is about the same what comes to feature list, but it's cheaper and has good notation." sounds like a convincing recommendation to me.

Like I said, I can't write/read notation, (I hope I could) so I'd like SONAR to do it for me.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
nicolo paganini
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 85
Re: RE: Protools 8 notation - when will Cakewalk listen? 2010/08/19 08:22:36 (permalink)
I've used cakewalk since pro audio 9 and never really gave serious consideration to using pro tools until avid bought and integrated Sibelius. Even though I use Finale and not Sibelius the work flow benefits are very tempting. I've got about one or two more updates in me and if Sonar's notation doesn't get any better (duples, 6/8 time etc.) I will most likely with a heavy heart make the switch.
Treppenwitz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
Re:Protools 8 notation - when will Cakewalk listen? 2010/08/19 18:49:09 (permalink)
Wotan PE

Good point! I work almost exclusively with notation to Midi for my orchestral compositions, and I use Finale 2010b instead of Sibelius for two reasons. 

Theres also several posts here concerning re-wire and using Sonar and Finale at the same time, similar to Sibelius. I've never done that because I like to micro-manage the steps in the process a bit more, but to each his own 

... With Win 7 and a decent sound card you can simply pop back and forth between Finale and Sonar, and compose a string quartet, print the parts, and burn cd's (or MP3s) for musicians, all in a couple hours. and the 64-bit recordings from sonar speak for themselves. 
I live almost exclusively in Sibelius these days, since Sib's orchestral mockups are good enough using the EWQLSO sound sets, and the parts I prepare are for live musicians to record.  I'm unable to ReWire Sibelius, since Propellerhead refuses to come into the 21st century and develop for 64-bit platforms.  Also, Sibelius does not allow other apps to share the ASIO drivers while it's running, so I can't simply switch back and forth between Sibelius and Sonar.  I would love to be able to do useful quick sketches in Sonar's notation so I could make use of all the other things that Sonar is good at, but for my requirements at the moment, Sibelius wins out.

On a related note, I have Notion, and have many friends who use Finale, and I've concluded that all notation programs suck in their own way.  I just happen to think that Sibelius sucks the least :)

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1