Rainy April is finally finished!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
hornplayer
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1024
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/03/25 02:39:29 (permalink)
Steve did do a good job on this one

Yes, Steve, you did! Nice job playing and mixing.

SteveD
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2831
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/03/25 17:56:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: hornplayer

Steve did do a good job on this one

Yes, Steve, you did! Nice job playing and mixing.

Thanks Charley. Been looking for the right vehicle to work with you for some time now. I hope to do more with you, and I'm glad Randy put us together on this great tune.

Glenn McClelland plays with Blood, Sweat, & Tears, and Ween. He appeared on Letterman last year with Ween. He's a good friend of mine... and we tracked the piano here at my studio for Randy in a true bi-coastal collaboration. Glenn showed up here at 10pm on his way home from another gig. He did 7 takes... with little suggestions from me on register changes and playing style for the second verse and sax solo, and he was outta here in about an hour and a half. Amazing. His last take was kept as is except for one punch-in near the end and he played it the rest of the way out. I took the MIDI and a mono direct line out. Perfect.

Ed lays down the easiest bass tracks I've ever had the pleasure of mixing... and I've told him this. Sits nice, compresses well, no mud. And great playing too. Just eq and compression there.

Randy's playing is great. His guitar track had some low mid-range that needed to come out, and I rolled off at around 100hz to eliminate some unwanted low-end energy.

I love the UAD-1 Plate 140 on sax... but I still can't seem to get happy with it on drums. I used a PCM91 HALLS Live Arena image response through SIR with customized settings on the drums. That's a favorite of mine. Sweet.

It took a LONG time for me to get happy with the mix and master (right Randy? ) I just didn't want to send it back until it translated well everywhere. Too much talent here to blow it in the very last stages of production!

I still hear stuff I'd like to change, but I agree this one came out well.

Glad folks seem to like it.

P.S.
I don't know about you, but I really like behind the scenes stories... so I thought I'd share a few from the "Rainy April" sessions.
post edited by SteveD - 2005/03/25 23:14:01

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
hornplayer
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1024
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/03/26 00:29:30 (permalink)
Hey, Steve! I really appreciate details. Thanks for taking the time to wite all this down! And, Happy Easter (almost)!

toby
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 568
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/03/26 09:31:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rgfors

Well gang, here is the final version of Rainy April.
Talk about a total forum collaboration! Let us know what you think, all comments are appreciated...

Hey Randy,

You, and everyone involved should be very proud!
This is a really nice smooth jazz piece. You captured the genre and the musicianship is top notch!

This is the type of stuff you want to go have a nice dinner on the town and sit back with your favorite drink and favorite gal and just chill
Loved it!
Congratulations to all,

Toby
rgfors
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1068
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/03/26 18:39:20 (permalink)
Hello Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, we really appreciate it.. Congratulations on your recent move!

Randy
Listen to my "stuff" at:
http://www.21st-parallel.com
View my pictures at:
http://www.justshootmestudios.com
rgfors
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/03/26 18:41:30 (permalink)
Hello kiwisdontdrinktea, We're honored you took the time to listen and comment! Thanks, and we're thrilled you liked the song (and changes).

Randy
Listen to my "stuff" at:
View my pictures at:
rgfors
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/03/26 18:44:20 (permalink)
Hey MWalter,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. When I originally wrote the tune I did a climax at the end, but couldn't make it sound right. Hence the reason for the change to the fade!

Hello Shaun, Thanks! I was playing my Tacoma archtop on this one. I used it for both the lead and rhythm parts. This guitar has become my favorite recording guitar!

Randy
Listen to my "stuff" at:
View my pictures at:
rgfors
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/03/26 18:46:11 (permalink)
Hello Telecaster, Thanks for taking the time to listen, and we are thrilled you enjoyed it! Charley is indeed a terrific sax player, and his collaboration on this song is what has made it as good as it is. I'm sure we will have another one up at some point!
post edited by rgfors - 2005/03/29 03:11:06

Randy
Listen to my "stuff" at:
View my pictures at:
rgfors
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/03/29 03:10:31 (permalink)
Hello Toby,

Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed the song!

Randy
Listen to my "stuff" at:
View my pictures at:
Paul Russell
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3892
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/01 18:00:44 (permalink)
Hi Randy

mmm, beautifully played and mixed. Overall top notch performances from everyone. The drums especially sound superb. I have three niggles, tho, the first being that opening piano riff, which someone else has noted makes the band sound as if they weren't ready. The other is the fade at the end, when a proper finish would have been so much more satisfying. But the big one for me was that the stereo image seems rather right-heavy. This is the piano, of course, but it might be better balanced by panning the guitars and Charley's exquisite sax over to the left a bit, make them stand out 3-dimensionally if you know what I mean.

Despite all that pickiness, it's certainly a great taster of the upcoming album.

Cheers
post edited by Paul Russell - 2005/04/01 18:01:31

Paul Russell 
Calamity Studio and on Facebook

SteveD
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2831
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/02 10:57:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

Hi Randy

mmm, beautifully played and mixed. Overall top notch performances from everyone. The drums especially sound superb. I have three niggles, tho, the first being that opening piano riff, which someone else has noted makes the band sound as if they weren't ready. The other is the fade at the end, when a proper finish would have been so much more satisfying. But the big one for me was that the stereo image seems rather right-heavy. This is the piano, of course, but it might be better balanced by panning the guitars and Charley's exquisite sax over to the left a bit, make them stand out 3-dimensionally if you know what I mean.

Despite all that pickiness, it's certainly a great taster of the upcoming album.

Cheers

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comment on the sound of the drums. VERY important to me!

Randy's been traveling quite a bit, but I'm sure he'll jump in here as soon as he can.

I guess I'm qualified to respond to your mixing comments.

As Randy indicated earlier... the intro was non-negotiable. Glenn didn't even want to attempt it... so I just used Randy's MIDI track for the intro and Glenn began playing on the downbeat. While it sounded very... um... unique at first... I've gotten quite used to it and I really like it now.

Just curious... what would have been a proper finish? That's more of a compositional comment... no? Not much I could have done about that. Everything was tracked when I got it... except the drums were loops. Randy mentioned that he also wanted to redo the piano, and I told him I had just the guy... and we went from there.

Regarding the stereo image... I tried LOTS of possibilities. This one sounded best to my ears. The stereo piano patch on the soft synth moves to the right as you move up in register... and if you spend some time up there... it does start to sound right-heavy. I noticed this more on a project I was mixing last night and made some adjustments to bring it back in toward the center... but on this piece I really like it. Try it with headphones. I just couldn't change it... but I do understand what you mean, and I can see why you might have done it differently for sure.

Thanks for listening Paul. You already know I have a great deal of respect for your work. You have "big ears" and I value your insight. All comments become a part of who we are the next time we sit down to mix a project, don't you agree?

It's why we post here.

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
Paul Russell
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/02 12:32:09 (permalink)
As Randy indicated earlier... the intro was non-negotiable. Glenn didn't even want to attempt it... so I just used Randy's MIDI track for the intro and Glenn began playing on the downbeat. While it sounded very... um... unique at first... I've gotten quite used to it and I really like it now.
It just feels to me as if it should start on an upbeat. What would it sound like if you moved it back by one beat (so that it starts on one rather than 2)?

Just curious... what would have been a proper finish? That's more of a compositional comment... no? Not much I could have done about that. Everything was tracked when I got it... except the drums were loops.
Even just a two bar slow down on one of the loop phrases with a finish on the 'one' with a defining chord. Or maybe a coda fade out without a solo going on, just bass, drums and rhythm guitar might sound nice. Only suggestions.

Regarding the stereo image... I tried LOTS of possibilities. ...Try it with headphones. I just couldn't change it... but I do understand what you mean, and I can see why you might have done it differently for sure.
I tried it with headphones tonight and it still seems strong on the right. The VU's give it away, of course, but still a slight leftwards pan of the lead guitar, sax and their ambience might give you that balance. You could also try panning the very subtle rhythm guitar waaaaaay over on the left, which might make a difference. Or maybe just reverse the kit and have the hi-hat coming out on the left as if you're the drummer. You've probably tried all these already.<g>
Thanks for listening Paul. You already know I have a great deal of respect for your work. You have "big ears" and I value your insight. All comments become a part of who we are the next time we sit down to mix a project, don't you agree?
Steve, thanks for the compliments, although I'm tempted to answer 'I'm not Big Ears, I'm Noddy' You're obviously no slouch yourself. As for those ears, I just put it down to good monitors in a room that I'm used to. That will change soon cos I'm buying my own apartment and will get a chance to custom build the next studio.

It's why we post here.
absolutely

Paul Russell 

ed_mcg
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2741
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/02 13:00:34 (permalink)
Paul,
Nice to see the guitar slinging little fella. Great ideas there.
Aren't Randy's pieces excellent vehicles? I always enjoy them.

Steve,
I noted that excellent compliment. Thanks ;-)
silentmusic
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/02 20:26:15 (permalink)
An absolute pleasure to listen to. Thanks for sharing! I'm inspired now....<grabbing guitar>

- Jason
rgfors
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/16 05:38:09 (permalink)
Hello Paul! Thanks for the listen and the suggestions my friend, and sorry about the long delay! (Just got back from Disney World.)

Randy
Listen to my "stuff" at:
View my pictures at:
rgfors
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/16 05:39:46 (permalink)
Hello Jason,

Thanks for the time and hope you had fun with the guitar!

Randy
Listen to my "stuff" at:
View my pictures at:
Paul Russell
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/16 19:32:16 (permalink)
(Just got back from Disney World.)
You got a gig playing jazz dressed up as a mouse's dog?

Paul Russell 

reallifer
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 236
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/20 16:38:57 (permalink)
I thought I would pipe in too. Overall excellent work. Only one mix item to comment on. Listening on my little computer speakers at work the piano chord changes stick out a bit. It sounds fine on the runs/melodic fills but on the basic changes it could sit back a little more behind the soloists. Again, excellent work!
reallifer
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 236
RE: Rainy April is finally finished! 2005/04/21 00:37:36 (permalink)
I take back my previous comment. The piano sounds just fine on real speakers.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1