Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Fabio Rubato
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
2015/05/08 02:09:39 (permalink)

Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load

Have a project with an instance of RP - in Plt. Took around 5 min to load the project. I know it's Rapture as when I first loaded it into the project initially, it took that long for it appear. Anyone else experiencing really slow load times?

Any process available to speed it up, like 'batch-resave' in Kontact as this speeds K loads quite well?

Thanks in advance.

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
PC: Win10 Pro 64;
Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
Audio Interface: RME UFX;
Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

54 Replies Related Threads

subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 02:46:30 (permalink)
    I can corroborate this: Rapture Pro takes longer to load on my system than any plugin I have ever used, by a country mile. It beats the previous record holder, Alchemy, by a factor of five - it's so extreme that despite liking the synth and being interested in getting into it a bit further, I am reluctant to use it in a project. Out of interest, it also takes a very long time to start it standalone, so the issue would not seem to be VST-related.

Anyone else? Or, are most people seeing it load quickly and there's some system-related problem? I admit am on a pretty old maching here - Q6600 2.4Ghz, a measly 4GB RAM (this might be the first thing I try to improve as it's probably pretty cheap at this point), running 64-bit, no SSD - but it still works pretty well for most purposes, so I haven't felt the need to dump it and build a new one... yet...

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 02:55:33 (permalink)
    Yep, I'm seeing the same thing and this box is no slouch. I thought it crashed Sonar a couple times, it hangs for around 5 min but eventually it loads. I think I'm going to wait until they get some of the bugs fixed before I actually commit to using it in any projects other than TestRP.

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 02:55:55 (permalink)
    I decided only two days ago to get Rap Pro and I agree it is by far the slowest to load either as a plugin or stand alone. There's not really much of a preferences section where settings could be changed. Surely it's not rescanning its whole database of samples and programs each load.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    subtlearts
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 03:35:23 (permalink)
    mudgel
    I decided only two days ago to get Rap Pro and I agree it is by far the slowest to load either as a plugin or stand alone. There's not really much of a preferences section where settings could be changed. Surely it's not rescanning its whole database of samples and programs each load.

... For "Surely" read "Ummm.... hopefully?"

'Cause that's not the craziest theory I've ever heard. But it would sure be disappointing.

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    subtlearts
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 03:51:13 (permalink)
    Here's a question: what's the best way we can bring this to the attention of the appropriate bakers? Is "please try to make this load much, much faster" more of a Feature request, or more of a Problem report?

I have to wonder whether this is across the board, or just a bug that manifests on some systems but not others? If it took this long to load when they were finished coding it and about to release it, then there is something very wrong in the quality control department. But if it loads lickety-split for some/most users, but needs to be started the night before for others... For example, if it is in fact rescanning its database every time, and this is not the intended behaviour, what could be causing it on some systems but not others? I installed it from CCC with factory settings...

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 04:04:56 (permalink)
    mudgel

Just loaded mine into blank project and loaded before I could count to 2. Mind you, I only have one 2GB Bank for it to scan, so maybe you are on to something. To load a 1945MB program took about 10 seconds, off a standard laptop harddrive

subtlearts
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 04:08:25 (permalink)
    Thanks. Interesting, and strange and slightly troubling but also hopeful in that maybe I can get it to work much better. The only add-on bank that I have at the moment is Galbanum Piscis. I will see if I can figure out how to uninstall that and see if it makes a difference...

Do the other folks seeing long load times have expansion packs, or vanilla installs? Kamikaze, did you install it over existing Rapture and DimPro installs, or on a blank slate?

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Kamikaze
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 04:29:00 (permalink)
    Blank slate

Fabio Rubato
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 04:39:42 (permalink)
    Well this is probably the issue. I have the Rap Pro Library, Expansion Pack - Universal 120 and version 2 showing; one from Rapture and one from CC download, Biolabs Vol 1, Craig's Minimog Tribute, Dim Pro EP - legacy, DSF Vol 1 Filmscore, DSF - Vol 1 Grand Piano, Hip Hop Producer, Vocal Expressions, Galbanum - Pisics, Gibson EBS, Gibson Gold Top, Rap Classic Factory Library, and Rap Legacy. 

That's a lot of expansions right there and if they're scanning all that each time it loads, then I'm not surprised there's a big wait. Work-around to bounce track once finished maybe...or have a batch-resave ability?

Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
    Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 

subtlearts
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 04:48:25 (permalink)
    Hmm. I'm wondering if the blank slate thing is where we should be looking - maybe it's if you install (like me) over existing Rapture / DimPro installations, and it kind of has to deal with all that as well as its own versions of those libraries - there seems to be some overlap.

So I'm thinking I may have to (when I feel like spending an hour on this) uninstall all 3, carefully saving any user presets I may need in future, then install Rapture Pro *first*. Then I would likely install Rapture again, since I have used it in so many projects and I'm not sure how they will react to trying to use RapPro instead - though it might be interesting to find out, maybe it's a clean replacement and can handle that? Seems unlikely, but a person can hope...

DimPro I think I will leave uninstalled, as I have basically never used it in a project. Assuming this is the problem and RapPro loads fast, it would wholly replace DimPro for me. Rapture too but only if projects can magically load it.

I seem to recall Galbanum Piscis being a right pain to get working on Win7 and later (I'm on 8.1 here), requiring registry hacks, but now it seems to show up in my CCC so maybe that will be resolved?

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    mduque
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 04:49:24 (permalink)
    The same to me. I am travelling and use my small laptop and takes almost 5 minutes for one instance. What if I need 9 or 10 instances e.g. for an orchestral setup? Does it mean I cannot use all the expansions? Crazy. It was happening the same with Synthmaster and the guys worked hard to solve the issue.

I am going to report it.
    Kamikaze
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 04:49:38 (permalink)
    I asked for a listing of the content of each pack, so I can make an educated decision about downloading each one. Partly because download speed is terrible here at the moment, and partly because I don't want to wade through banks of unneeded stuff. If this means that my system is faster because of it, then that's another reason to have a listing.

You can't delete programs from Rapture GUI. If you go ahead and delete sample banks in an attempt to tidy up, you don't really have an intuitive way to know what Programs relate to them. For instance I have 4 programs using the clavinet SFZ files, but only one of those is listed under Electric pianos, the others are things like 'World Instruments' which is the last place I'd look.

subtlearts
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 05:01:01 (permalink)
    Hmm. I succumbed to unbridled optimism and just let it rip and installed the whole shebang, over top of existing Rapture and DimPro installations... and here's what I have in the Bank list:

Rapture Pro factory library
    Dimension Pro factory library
    Expansion Pack: Dimension Pro (legacy)
    Expansion Pack: Galbanum Piscis
    Expansion Pack: Gibson Les Paul Gold Top
    Rapture Classic factory library
    Expansion Pack: Rapture (legacy)
    Expansion Pack: User

Again, there seems to be lots of crossover with the Rapture Classic factory library and the Rapture legacy library. I wonder what would be the best/easiest/cleanest/quickest way to eliminate at least this redundancy and hopefully speed up load times?

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Kamikaze
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 05:10:07 (permalink)
    Just realised that PianoT is actually PianetT, but Youtube isn't working at the moment, so I can't see if I want that sound, I'm not too familar with it. Hiding stuff you don't want also makes CCC work faster, with checking for updates. The more I look at the list the more I want to cut it, but the installer has so little info beyond the download size.

Kamikaze
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 05:10:07 (permalink)
    blah

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 05:17:25 (permalink)
    Painfully slow here as well.

Rap Pro takes nearly as long to load as my orchestral template (135 tracks, multiple instances of Play, EWQLSO Platinum).

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Fabio Rubato
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 05:20:20 (permalink)
    Blah blah indeed! Rapture Pro takes so long to load that - fill in the blank with an appropriate comparison - I could write a symphony and mix it as well. lol!

post edited by Fabio Rubato - 2015/05/08 05:29:15

subtlearts
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 05:33:24 (permalink)
    Kamikaze
    Just realised that PianoT is actually PianetT, but Youtube isn't working at the moment, so I can't see if I want that sound, I'm not too familar with it.

The Pianet was made by Hohner and is loosely similar to a clav but the action and sound are very different - instead of strings like a clav or round tines like a Rhodes they have flat metal 'reeds', a bit like a Wurli - but instead of being struck by hammers or the like they are excited by a kind of sticky pad attached to the keys pulling away from the reed. It's a cool, unique sound - I've played and recorded on a real one and it's weird and very cool. There were some hits that featured it... "She's Not There", "Louie Louie", "Joy To The World"...

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    bz2838
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 366
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 08:14:14 (permalink)
    Rapture Pro really slow to load here too, called support, waiting for their reply after sending logs they requested.

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 08:25:14 (permalink)
    RapPro was never to the point of painful loading here, but I have gained huge improvement by adding flac/wav/mp3 types to the exclude types list in my antivirus, along with the Cake content directly and the Sonar process.

I use Windows Defender

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 09:12:03 (permalink)
    subtlearts
    a measly 4GB RAM

Fabio has 16 GB and is experiencing the same issues, so it may not be your RAM. Regardless, 4 GB is really minimal - you'll probably have a much better computing experience overall if you bump it up to at least 8 GB.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    jih64
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 09:12:25 (permalink)
    I have installed -

Dimension Pro
    E-MU Proteus -
       Mo' Phatt
       Planet Earth
       Proteus 2000
       PX-7 Drums
       Virtuoso 2000
       Xtreme Lead 1
    DSF Symphonic Strings HD
    DSF Vol 3 Vocal Expressions
    DSF Ultra Modern Synthesizers
    DSF Vol 7 Accoustic Kits
    Gibson EB5 Bass
    Platinum Samples Rock Legends Kit 1 and 2
    Dim Pro Holiday Pack
    Andy Johns Kit 1

Rapture
    DSF Dance Tools
    DSF Analog Digital Synth Resource
    DSF Synthesizer Rage
    Encanti Haunted EDM
    Galbanum Piscis
    Muz4um

Rapture Pro
    DSF Vol 3 Vocal Expressions
    DSF Ultra Modern Synthesizers
    Galbanum Piscis
    These 3 also installed for Rapture Pro (the others above didn't show up for download and installation under Rapture Pro in CCC)

Loading Rapture Pro Stand Alone is roughly 3 seconds
    Loading Rapture Pro into a project with various other audio tracks and vst's, BFD3 etc, approx the same 3 seconds
    Loading Rapture Pro into a blank Project, approx 3 seconds to load it and tracks, then approx 3 seconds for Rapture Pro to open when clicked on
    Sometimes rarely it has taken a little longer, but nothing excessive, 10/15 seconds at the most, but usually it's as above. (I think I placed the above in the correct lists, one or 2 may be listed under Dim Pro but should be Rapture and visa versa, but I think it is correct)

post edited by jih64 - 2015/05/08 09:18:30
    subtlearts
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 10:10:20 (permalink)
    BobF
    RapPro was never to the point of painful loading here, but I have gained huge improvement by adding flac/wav/mp3 types to the exclude types list in my antivirus, along with the Cake content directly and the Sonar process.

Whoa. That sped up my load time from about 3 minutes to about 40 seconds, which is still pretty bad but a huge improvement. Thanks for that! I've never seen anyone else mention this anywhere - I'm going to see what else it can speed up (obviously it doesn't make sense to use it to speed up your internet browser or anything else that ought to be scanned continuously). Other people with slow load times - give this a try!

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    BobF
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 10:34:04 (permalink)
    subtlearts
    BobF

Whoa. That sped up my load time from about 3 minutes to about 40 seconds, which is still pretty bad but a huge improvement. Thanks for that! I've never seen anyone else mention this anywhere - I'm going to see what else it can speed up (obviously it doesn't make sense to use it to speed up your internet browser or anything else that ought to be scanned continuously). Other people with slow load times - give this a try!

Someone else posted it here in the forums ... I wish I could remember who.

Bob  --
    --

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 10:59:01 (permalink)
    Along with painfully slow to load I have been experiencing and Audio Engine drop out the first time Rapture Pro is sent midi data in a project.

I will explain.

This is a new project started since the Dorchester update and the installation of Rapture Pro.

As is my standard practice the project does not really start until Bar 2 beat 1.
    Rapture Pro does not start playing until Bar 13 beat 4.
    On first loading the project whilst allowing time for everything to load i.e AD2 samples other soft synths and Rapture Pro.

If I hit "W" to rewind then hit "Space Bar" to play, the project plays fine until it hits Bar 13 Beat 4 when the Audio Engine drops out.

If I again hit "W" to rewind then hit "Space Bar" to play, the project plays fine through to the end.

Anyone else seeing this.

For reference, the PC is my dedicated DAW PC CPU 2600K at 3.4 Gig 8Gig RAM, Focusrite Saffire Pro 26i/o I/F (original) Win 7 64 Bit, Only Application Running is SONAR Platinum Version 21.03.000 Build 20 - x64.
    Soft synths loaded for this Project.

AD 2 Jazz Brush Kit
    Arturia Wurlitzer V
    Arturia Prophet V2
    Korg M1
    Cakewalk Rapture Pro. 

There is also one Audio track for a small live guitar piece.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    musicmanrdu
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 292
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 16:23:04 (permalink)
    Yep. I can confirm.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64-bit, MOTU Traveler, Core i7-3770,  8 GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 240 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS drive), 240 GB Samsung 840 series (sample drive). Facebook
    subtlearts
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 16:59:36 (permalink)
    OK I managed to get around to uninstalling all three - Rapture, Rapture Pro and Dimension. And then did a clean re-install of RapturePro first. followed by Rapture. And guess what? It loads pretty quickly now. Like, well under 10 seconds. That's down from 4 minutes or so.

So, it looks like there may be a problem with installing it over existing Rapture and/or DimPro installations. YMMV, but here it more or less completely solved the problem The first load with new content is a bit slower, but after that it's smooth sailing. Yay!

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Fabio Rubato
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 19:55:00 (permalink)
    subtlearts
    OK I managed to get around to uninstalling all three - Rapture, Rapture Pro and Dimension. And then did a clean re-install of RapturePro first. followed by Rapture. And guess what? It loads pretty quickly now. Like, well under 10 seconds. That's down from 4 minutes or so.

So, it looks like there may be a problem with installing it over existing Rapture and/or DimPro installations. YMMV, but here it more or less completely solved the problem The first load with new content is a bit slower, but after that it's smooth sailing. Yay!

Looks like this is the way to go...going to try the files exclusion in MS Essentials first before going down that road though.

BobF
    Re: Rapture Pro Painfully Slow to Load 2015/05/08 20:42:48 (permalink)
    subtlearts

Thanks for the update.  I think when an update becomes available for RapPro I'll do a complete uninstall of DP and Rap Amateur and go that route.  I might even load Rap Pro from scratch with CCC ... :)

Bob  --
    --

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1