ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Huves
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 186
2005/09/01 07:45:47 (permalink)

ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)!

Dear ReBirth user,

We at Propellerhead Software have made the decision to discontinue our product ReBirth RB-338. You are receiving this letter because you are a registered user and we wanted to inform you about what this means for you.

Why did Propellerhead make this decision?
-----------------------------------------
ReBirth was the first successful software synthesizer. It pioneered and shaped a lot of what we now take for granted in software synthesizer type products. However, it was designed almost ten years ago. Musical styles and music technology have both changed dramatically since then, and we decided that the foundation for the product just wasn't valid anymore. We're a small company with limited development resources and we think it makes much more sense for everybody involved - even you as a ReBirth user - that we concentrate our efforts on our more current products and on future projects.

The practical ramifications of this decision are:

* All development on ReBirth RB-338 has stopped. There will be no future updates and no Mac OS X version.

* Personal customer support of the product will be discontinued. We receive very few questions from ReBirth owners nowadays, and all of the information we usually provide is now available in the FAQ section on the new ReBirth web site, see below.

* As of today, ReBirth is given away for free. Anyone can download and use ReBirth 2.0.1. The download and instructions are also available on the ReBirth site.

Generous Upgrade offer!
-----------------------
As you are probably aware, the successor to ReBirth is Propellerhead Reason, now in version 3.0. Reason is infinitely more powerful than ReBirth. If you haven't tried Reason yet you can find out more about at http://www.propellerheads.se/reason/
or download the demo version at http://www.propellerheads.se/demo/

We now offer you, as a registered ReBirth user, an upgrade to Reason at a very, very attractive price, USD 179/EUR 159. And for a as long as supplies last (not very long!), this offer includes a special t-shirt that allows you to express your feelings about the demise of a music product that helped shape the future we now live in. To see the t- shirt and read more about the offer, please visit http://www.propellerheads.se/propshop/.
Please note that this offer is only available for a limited time. Furthermore, we have managed to build a ReFill for Reason that recreates the sounds from the drum machines in ReBirth, including all Mods we have had for download. After you have registered your new version of Reason, you will be able to download this ReFill for free.

The ReBirth museum
------------------
We have dedicated a complete new web site to ReBirth, called www.rebirthmuseum.com. Here you can find articles, interviews, historical information, the ReBirth song and Mod archives, a discussion forum, downloads of ReBirth 2.0.1 and much more. Definitely worth a visit!

ReBirth still works...
----------------------
Yes, we just wanted to point that even though development on the product has been stopped once and for all, the version out there still works. If you are making music with ReBirth, whatever you do, please don't stop! This piece of software is still a charming little gem that will have its small place in music history. Forever.

Sincerely,

Ernst Nathorst-Böös
CEO Propellerhead Software

45 Replies Related Threads

tclark
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1525
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/01 09:08:05 (permalink)
    THanks 4 the heads up, but I cant seem to find the link to the dlownload. if possible could u post a link plz.

Thanks

T

Huves
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/01 09:11:52 (permalink)
    http://www.rebirthmuseum.com./

Then click on Download - Rebirth CD-ROM Image. You'll have to register on the site, then you can downlad.
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/01 09:58:44 (permalink)

apparently the downside is that the CD image goes to a CD that has to be in the CD drive to run the application

SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/01 14:24:18 (permalink)
    I think I'll just be lazy and use the rebirth reason Refill. Rebirth is irritating to rewire into Reason anyways.
    post edited by SuperGreenX - 2005/09/01 14:30:41

rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/01 16:20:53 (permalink)
    is this true have you tried it.

"Installing using CD/DVD authoring software (requires blank CD-R disc) Download "ReBirth RB-338 2.0 iso.iso" and burn the image to disc. Launch the "Install ReBirth RB-338.exe" from your disc. Follow the instructions on screen."

i ask because i have been downloading for 12 hours now at 2.2 K/sec. i guess a lot of people are downloading. 85:47:30 left thank god for getright and resume. :-)
    zipdigital
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/01 16:23:27 (permalink)
    Wow, sounds like a great deal for those who want to upgrade to Reason. I believe i will bite on this...good thing I get paid tonight. And good thing I got Rebirth for $20...

-Sol

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." Robert X. Cringely
    Huves
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/01 16:28:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sol

Wow, sounds like a great deal for those who want to upgrade to Reason. I believe i will bite on this...good thing I get paid tonight. And good thing I got Rebirth for $20...

-Sol

I paid 40 € for Rebirth on ebay last year. I ordered Reason for 159 € now...I don't want to, but the price...
    And with a little luck I get the shirt
    zipdigital
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/01 20:55:31 (permalink)
    Looks like I'm in trouble here. My copy of Rebirth doesn't have a serial number. I have ReBirth.One - which was distributed by Steinberg at the time, but still has PropellerHead's name on the CD. I don't see why I wouldn't be elligable, but to get the upgrade at the discounted price, I have to have registered Rebirth...which I can't do without a serial number. It uses the CD as a dongle - it MUST be in the drive to function, but never needed a serial#.

It would be a real shame if I can't upgrade. I had already gotten ideads in my head for rewiring P5 and Reason together for a hella mix of instruments. I've used it, but don't own it and could never justify buying it at full price - this would have been a perfect chance.

I've emailed their support. I guess we'll see what comes of it.

*crosses fingers*

-Sol

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." Robert X. Cringely
    rabeach
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/01 22:45:13 (permalink)
    well 101megs into a 526 meg download slated for a grand total of 85 hours at 2.5k/sec, 12 hours elapsed, i now get feedback that the file is no-longer found on the server. well free is free but i'm not going to start over p-head. got to laugh. lol. :-)
    gatopolitico
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/02 22:30:14 (permalink)
    dear mr huves,
    it behooves me that a 1/2 gig download would be given away at 12kbs. what's the point?!

actually i believe this is one big prank ha ha ha ha....lauging all the way to....well, nowhere
    RAR
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/03 00:43:20 (permalink)
    I got the same error about resuming the download, the URL change since yesterday. Any way I copied the new URL into Flashget and it pickup where it left off.

I know a room full of musical tunes.
    Some rhyme, some ching, most of them are clockwork.
    Let's go into the other room and make them work.
    -Barret
    rabeach
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/03 00:49:38 (permalink)
    even with a brand new url i still get disconnected from the server. guess i'll wait a week and try again.
    Bob
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/03 02:43:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gatopolitico

dear mr huves,
    it behooves me that a 1/2 gig download would be given away at 12kbs. what's the point?!

actually i believe this is one big prank ha ha ha ha....lauging all the way to....well, nowhere

I dont think its prank. Connection is slow because everybody who has internet connection is now trying to download Rebirth. Soon 2 billion users are going to upload 18,3 billion Rebirth tracks into music sites.
    post edited by Bob - 2005/09/03 02:49:38
    Huves
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/03 04:00:05 (permalink)
    Yes, it's a prank. Don't download!
    puffer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/03 09:08:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Huves

Yes, it's a prank. Don't download!

<laughing>
    Yeah, stopping those 12 people is really going to speed up your download time. Why didn't I think of that.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    Huves
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/03 11:58:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: puffer
    <laughing>
    Yeah, stopping those 12 people is really going to speed up your download time. Why didn't I think of that.

I bought the original but if I had to download it I would wait some days...
    gatopolitico
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/03 16:09:08 (permalink)
    "it's a prank..."

sigh...

i was only joking. i can wait a few weeks to check it out.

okay now...mr huves thx for making it available.
    post edited by gatopolitico - 2005/09/03 16:22:46
    Mididreamer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 01:48:30 (permalink)
    Used flashget, took me 8 hours :) Burn the CD and it works, going back in time

My music: https://soundcloud.com/midimine
    Sonar, Reason, Live, Project5, Fruityloops, Cubase / maschine 2/ Komplete /Intel i7 3770/ Asus Maximus V /Oxygen 8 V2/ Oxygen 61/ Novation Zero SL /Windows 10 / 64 

Komplete Audio 6
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 04:51:46 (permalink)
    Why are so many people excited about getting a 303, 808 and 909 emulation? Especially when you can't even use it as a plugin and still has the crappy 'cd check' copy protection? It's not as if there aren't already decent 303 emulators in plugin form and samples of the 2 drum machines are readily available...*shrug*...must be missing something....
    Huves
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 05:29:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: xylyx

Why are so many people excited about getting a 303, 808 and 909 emulation? Especially when you can't even use it as a plugin and still has the crappy 'cd check' copy protection? It's not as if there aren't already decent 303 emulators in plugin form and samples of the 2 drum machines are readily available...*shrug*...must be missing something....

You can use it with rewire in P5. works perfect.

what decent 303 emulators do you mean? rb 338 is in my opinion one of the best 303 emulators (and i owned a real tb years ago). and last but not least: the program makes fun as standalone! i remember tons of great songs that were created only with this program.
    xylyx
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 05:51:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Huves

You can use it with rewire in P5. works perfect.

what decent 303 emulators do you mean? rb 338 is in my opinion one of the best 303 emulators (and i owned a real tb years ago). and last but not least: the program makes fun as standalone! i remember tons of great songs that were created only with this program.

I hate Rewire (I think I should make this my sig! )...I think it is horrible and antiquated. FLStudio's implementation as a DXi and VSTi showed that Rewire was no longer necessary and that having two programs tethered together via 'virtual' audio/midi cables was something that needn't happen any more. Anyway, this is a familiar rant from me, so I will stop there

On the emulator front: I am wary of broaching this with someone who had a real one, as I have seen enough 'Tau bad' and 'Tau good' topics over at KvR to know that getting a definitive emulation that everyone likes is impossible. Anyway, Muon Tau 2 is more than adequate for my 303 type needs. The other main option is Audiorealism's Bassline which replicates the old 303 type interface and programming method if that's what you want (I didn't)...
    gatopolitico
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 10:30:56 (permalink)

Why are so many people excited about getting a 303, 808 and 909 emulation?

damn it, i read the word free and i started drooling, pavlovian mongrels got nothing on me.

bittorrent kicks ass! 100kbs+
    xylyx
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 10:46:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gatopolitico

damn it, i read the word free and i started drooling, pavlovian mongrels got nothing on me.

Yeah, when I first saw the topic I was thinking 'great!' and ready to go download it....until I asked myself what I would want it for, to which I answered 'dunno, but it's free!!' (yes, I am schizo)...I soon realised that I wouldn't use it and the fact that the cd protection is still in place ensured that I didn't bother...
    gatopolitico
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 11:22:35 (permalink)
    ....until I asked myself what I would want it for, to which I answered 'dunno, but it's free!!' (yes, I am schizo)...

been there myself, but not this time.

other than cakewalk for midi, i've been using hardware. i just upgraded to sonar and decided i wanted to learn software synths so here i am. i'm under the impression all sonar versions take in rewire compatible stuff like rebirth. correct me if i'm missing something. i don't know hoot about plugins and such (well, i've learned a lil bit) so i thought this classic piece would be a great thing to learn from and maybe use in sonar if i like it. i'm also looking at fruity loops.

what are the problems with rewire?

[for those interested the bittorrent download took less than an hour]
    post edited by gatopolitico - 2005/09/04 11:30:57
    xylyx
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 11:39:36 (permalink)
    Hmm...problems with rewire....read my response above...plugins like DXi and VSTi reside inside the application (like P5 or Sonar) and all their settings are saved within a project file. With rewire, the synth or application is running separately from the host and is essentially feeding it's output to the host via 'invisible' cables...plus the synth's parameters and settings are not saved within P5 or Sonar, so you then have to save them in the synth itself. When you reopen the project with the rewired synth in, it will launch the synth application (Rebirth in this case) but you will then have to reload the settings in the synth....not a major issue I guess, but it is more work and hassle when archiving finished projects. There is more system overhead involved when using rewire apps too...

There are plenty of free VST and DX synths available to learn with, so why go rewire?
    Huves
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 12:04:19 (permalink)

Hmm...problems with rewire....read my response above...plugins like DXi and VSTi reside inside the application (like P5 or Sonar) and all their settings are saved within a project file. With rewire, the synth or application is running separately from the host and is essentially feeding it's output to the host via 'invisible' cables...plus the synth's parameters and settings are not saved within P5 or Sonar, so you then have to save them in the synth itself. When you reopen the project with the rewired synth in, it will launch the synth application (Rebirth in this case) but you will then have to reload the settings in the synth....not a major issue I guess, but it is more work and hassle when archiving finished projects. There is more system overhead involved when using rewire apps too...

There are plenty of free VST and DX synths available to learn with, so why go rewire?

You never worked with hardware-synths?
    I think it's no work and hazzle to save a project even with rewire. rewire isn't dead and it'll not for a long time i think...the more system overhead argument isn't right, it depends on the vsti/dxi you're using.
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 12:32:34 (permalink)
    Absolutely right there Huves!

I use rewire all the time, no hassle whatsoever.
    I just put the saved songfiles of different apps. into one project folder et voila.

Just a different workflow. Probably just as fast.

Take P5...... I rewire it into Cubase SX3. No prob at all cause all synths and setings within P5 and SX3 get saved onto two files.
    One .p5p and one .cpr file
    Open them directly from your project folder and in a few second u can press play,record whatever.....

meatbird
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 12:45:42 (permalink)
    I'm not very good with this computer stuff but have P5 V2 and Reason 3 rewired into Sonar 3 studio.....I just hit save and when I want to reopen the file I just double click and voila everything works fine.Is this not normal?

If I throw a stick will you leave?
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: ReBirth discontinued...and...FREE DOWNLOAD(legal)! 2005/09/04 12:58:22 (permalink)
    That's an awful lot of work and bandwidth for an outmoded program, and the disc requirement protection would mean I'd never use it, anyway.

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1