Helpful ReplyReason 9.5 with vst support

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/14 16:30:05 (permalink)
JonD
abacab
I downloaded the Reason 9 trial today.  Just had a few questions, and naturally went looking for their forum.

Guess what?  They discontinued their forums over two years ago!  Yup!
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/an-end-of-an-era

Uninstalled ... sorry ...

Well, in fairness, that's more a reflection of where they were two years ago.  It does say "an end of an era", and suggests they saw the writing on the wall...

Which brings us to today.  If adding VST support doesn't signal a new era for Reason, I don't know what would....

My guess is the forums will be back online (somewhere) shortly.  Where else would be complain about our VSTs crashing Reason?!

The VST crashes could prove to be entertaining, for sure!

Well in all fairness as well, I'm sure it is a good DAW.  But I have a good DAW with a workflow that I already know! 

It had been many years since I last took a look at Reason.  Back when soft synths were beginning to appear, that synth rack sure looked appealing!

So this time I was just trying to evaluate Reason for the MIDI workflow alone, and look past all their native instruments, considering that I planned to use my own VST plugins.  The Reason Essentials edition at $69 is budget friendly, and is supposed to support VST in the 9.5 upgrade at the end of the month!

But what I really found was that the core Reason app is simply just another DAW.  I guess the value of Reason would be if you are already familiar with their instrument rack and tools, or were willing to learn them.  Or were into sampling, the Rex stuff, the patching options, etc.  I was just willing to bring my own VSTs, if their MIDI workflow proved to have some advantages.  I plan to stick with Sonar for the audio tracking and mixing.

So I really didn't find any special MIDI workflow (Note Clips), or other compelling features, that I cannot already do in Sonar, or elsewhere.

That's pretty much it.  I'm sure many will love it, but I think I should just focus on what I already have.

In addition to the user guide, I also usually check out a product's forum to see if there are any discussions that might reveal something interesting. But when I saw "The Park is Closed" sign at the gate, I closed up shop ... 

So as far as MIDI workflow goes, the only products that I have seen recently that raise the bar in that regard is Tracktion Waveform, and Cubase 9.  I have run demos of those, as well as FL Studio and Reason.

I picked up a copy of Tracktion Waveform, because the MIDI Pattern Generator is very cool.  Cubase Elements 9 is on my "maybe" list because the Arranger track and Chord track functions are looking real good.  I hope Cakewalk gets around to adding those to Sonar soon! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
mcdonalk
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/14 19:13:10 (permalink)
If you can stand the babbling host, you can see the Reason VST interface demonstrated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TyhEGS_3aU
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/14 20:16:36 (permalink)
Edited. Will add new response later.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/15 10:03:08 (permalink)
OK watched a couple of long and drawn out vids about this.

So what does features does it come with.

1. PDC (Plug-In Delay Compensation)
  2. Reason Rack Routing through VST module
  3. Up to VST 2.4 support.

Where I do expect issues is when people are using software protection like iLok, eLicensor and windows updates. Not in every case though. In theory, it shouldn't happen however does Reason support native 64-bit out of the box?

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/15 14:53:24 (permalink)
interpolated Where I do expect issues is when people are using software protection like iLok, eLicensor and windows updates. Not in every case though. In theory, it shouldn't happen however does Reason support native 64-bit out of the box?

iLok is generally pretty good with working properly in things like this. I've had more of an issue with Engine licensing. When I use my remote desktop to access my studio, I had to relicense all my Engine products but everything else worked fine. I think I may have needed to also relicense my XLN libraries but I can't recall. It seems to be anything that has a license tied to a specific machine rather than the install itself that causes issues with plugin routing.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/15 16:19:00 (permalink)
TerraSin
dubdiscipleI like that some good plugins will be available to Reason users.
I hate that it will likely reduce some of the stability that has always been one of the better aspects of Reason.

I've seen this said for years but I still don't understand why this is even an issue. Adding VSTs isn't going to make the software any less stable than it is unless the plugin itself has issues. This is why there is a testing stage of development before a product is released but Prop has always been adamant about using this excuse and thus it caught on to users saying it.

They have a point.  Are you saying you've never had a 3rd party VST crash Sonar (or any other host)?  The testing protocol you describe can only go so far since the VST spec is rather "loose" with parts open to interpretation (That's my understanding of it anyway). 

And since there is no way Prop can test Reason with every VST ever made, all they can do is work closely with VST devs (just like the other DAWs do) and fix problems as they're discovered. 

You could call that an "excuse", but it's a pretty well-founded concern IMO.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/16 06:01:31 (permalink)
We've all had crashes of sorts but I feel they are making it a much bigger issue than it actually is.
BD03
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/17 16:06:49 (permalink)
I hope a lot of new users come to Reason now. :D
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/17 17:16:42 (permalink)
TerraSin
We've all had crashes of sorts but I feel they are making it a much bigger issue than it actually is.

I get what you're saying.  Every DAW has to overcome this particular hurdle, and many do a good job of it. Hopefully they've hired additional programmers with troubleshooting experience.  I don't think Reason's programmers have ever really needed to work those muscles (except maybe on the Rewire side of things).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/17 20:24:05 (permalink)
I would say it goes far beyond just being an excuse. If anything can be said consistently about Reason is that it just works. It's a tradeoff, but one grounded in user experience. 
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/18 01:07:58 (permalink)
Meanwhile check out the RE sale at the Prop Shop.  I don't really plan on using many VSTs in Reason. I always like Reason because it was a different way of creating music.  In this age that can be a hard sell. VST support will probably bring former users back but I doubt new users.

I kept checking me email for a beta invite. None yet. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
guz75
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/20 16:14:30 (permalink)
I don't really understand the mentality towards platform stability, either from PH, or from users here. The stability of the software isn't going to be affected by this implementation, there is of course the possibility that a plugin - or a combination of plugins - might cause an issue, as is the case with any VST compatible platform, but you don't have to use VST plugins if you're concerned it will affect stability. Without them it will behave as well as it did before.

I've been fortunate enough to have had access to the beta for a week now and have been using the combinator to build complex synths using VST instruments and effects, I've also tested stuff like halion, kontact, omnisphere, amplitube and a whole load of different VST synths and I can report zero issues so far, it is a logging version of the software so it is a little sluggish sometimes, but it is behaving in the same way as previous logging betas have.

I can't guarantee I won't post this and then suddenly have a load of crashes, but I'ts done around 18-20 hours testing without issue so I'd be happy to say stability isn't too much of an issue so far and for those that aren't convinced I'll repeat, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE VST PLUGINS!
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/20 16:18:25 (permalink)
 The beta is a crashfest for my system.  This happened with the 9 beta as well.  I'll wait for the official release.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/05/22 17:17:57 (permalink)
guz75
I don't really understand the mentality towards platform stability, either from PH, or from users here. The stability of the software isn't going to be affected by this implementation, there is of course the possibility that a plugin - or a combination of plugins - might cause an issue, as is the case with any VST compatible platform, but you don't have to use VST plugins if you're concerned it will affect stability. Without them it will behave as well as it did before.

I've been fortunate enough to have had access to the beta for a week now and have been using the combinator to build complex synths using VST instruments and effects, I've also tested stuff like halion, kontact, omnisphere, amplitube and a whole load of different VST synths and I can report zero issues so far, it is a logging version of the software so it is a little sluggish sometimes, but it is behaving in the same way as previous logging betas have.

I can't guarantee I won't post this and then suddenly have a load of crashes, but I'ts done around 18-20 hours testing without issue so I'd be happy to say stability isn't too much of an issue so far and for those that aren't convinced I'll repeat, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE VST PLUGINS!

addding extra variables typically increases the odds of instability.  Nothing too complicated. It's kind of like the Mac vs PC stability debate.  It's not so much that Mac OS is any more or less stable.  They simply have less variables of hardware components to account for.
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Reason 9.5 with vst support 2017/09/19 17:06:13 (permalink)
Two solid days of use, and zero problems, glitches, or crashes. You can't rewire into another host while using VSTs, but I kind of expected that. Incredible amount of fun. Haven't used it since 2.5, so a lot of new functions. Recording audio in Reason still feels weird. 

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1