Helpful ReplyRegedit to change default folder location?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re:Regedit to change default folder location? 2012/07/21 08:08:36 (permalink)
Plazma

To all you girls that are having hissy fits

is this attitude really necessary?.. (and yes, the answer is NO)..

FYI in the time taken to get irate at folks trying to help you coud simply have reinstalled sonar and its content to the locations of your choice.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Regedit to change default folder location? 2012/07/21 08:32:12 (permalink)
Plazma

To all you girls that are having hissy fits about moving the default Content folder to a cutome location, and HOW to do it: Please read this post by Seth Perlstein: Re:Why "C:\Cakewalk Content" for the content folder? - March 30, 12 10:51 PM ( #16 ) Right, you need to change the locations of the folders in the registry after manually moving the Content folder post-install in order for the new locations to show up in the Content Locations Presets list in the Browser. Or you could delete all of those and re-save them using the new locations manually. Or you could re-install SONAR and choose Advanced Install and choose where to store the Cakewalk Content from there, which will write the correct registry locations when it installs. SP So, girls, this is NOT a "hack". It is the ONLY way of setting a new location in Sonar. But mostly: wtf is it to you, if I want to move my samples to another location??

this is one of the main reasons i refuse to answer any of your questions,for the most part the only time i see you on this forum you are asking a question but when someone raises a concern for others to follow further down line reading this thread you call them girls.
not to mention you cant even post a link to the thread where seth mentions this?

i have seen you ask questions on this forum and see those questions go unanswered for lenths of time.
hmmm, i wonder why?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Regedit to change default folder location? 2012/07/21 09:27:51 (permalink)
I prefer to ignore folks who seem incapable of polite and reasonable discussion.

But there is a major failing within Preferences>Files>Folder Locations dialog

With the Browser update of X1 Expanded (I don't think SONAR 8.5.3 behaved like this) we now seem to have the unsatisfactory situation where - redirecting for example the Cakewalk Projects Folder to a new location via the SONAR Preferences>Folder Locations only results in half of the expected outcome.

After making said Preference change when you then open up the New Project dialog from the
Files >New menu, you default to the New Location for your New Project, but, SONAR's Browser is not updated until you perform an edit of the registry - just another inconsistency for SONAR X1 users.

You expect one outcome from one action but in fact have to perform 2 seperate actions, ie 
1. editing the Registry and
2. Change Preferences>Folder Location (for Cakewalk Projects in this case) change before getting a unified result.

Of course that's only if I want to use any or all of the default locations specified within the Browser quick find dialog. I am free to endlessly click within the Browser and use it just like Windows explorer. Why Offer the Preference and not deliver on the expectation that you are infact in control of some preference you have.

Everytime I think I have this sucker licked another weird thing gets uncovered.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Chaos Choir
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
Re:Regedit to change default folder location? 2012/07/21 09:32:42 (permalink)
post edited by Chaos Choir - 2012/08/27 11:55:56
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:Regedit to change default folder location? 2012/07/21 10:24:48 (permalink)
"mudgel"
Of course that's only if I want to use any or all of the default locations specified within the Browser quick find dialog. I am free to endlessly click within the Browser and use it just like Windows explorer. Why Offer the Preference and not deliver on the expectation that you are infact in control of some preference you have.

It's nice to see you took the time to check things out. And on the other hand it's understandable that from a support POV, even a simple registry edit can turn out to be a nightmare (some users will inadvertently/unwillingly mess it up). If Cakewalk prefers not to have members broadcast Sonar related registry "adjustments", then I suggest that they let it be known. I don't have a problem with this either way. 
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Regedit to change default folder location? 2012/07/21 10:43:47 (permalink)
Yeh.
I'm not a big browser user apart from plugins. Being that samples I use are via the host plugin eg Kontakt or Play or Superior drummer etc. so it wasn't tuntil this thread prompted me to explore it further.

I'm happy enough to edit the registry all day but I find the current Preferences>Files>Folder Location situation with X1 completely unsatisfactory to say the least.

For an exotic function not easily got at maybe a rev edit is appropriate but for standard preferences to only perform half of the expected result is pretty poor programming.

My retirement from commercial audio production coincided pretty much with the release of X1C so my last 6 months of professional life were with SONAR 8.5 and other DAWs because of X1 not working on my system.

Once I did retire as X1C seemed to be pretty stable I moved over to it but haven't had a studio to work in and really dig in as much as I had with previous versions of SONAR.

I must admit I'm still taken aback with the things I uncover about X1, either from my own experiences or those I read about here. Just like this one 

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:Regedit to change default folder location? 2012/07/21 17:46:45 (permalink)
It is not just one sub-key/data setting that will affect "Shared Content."

Depending upon which stuff you want to move, there are some more path bits here that you may need to change:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
:: Software :: Cakewalk Music Software :

=======================
Just finished a new full install of Sonar Producer Expanded. Crap is put everywhere:
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk
C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk                                 (hidden folder)
C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk     (hidden folder)

I am always guessing about where my presets and programs are actually saved.
(Last time I saved a Dimension pro program the dialog opened to the last folder I had open in the windows explorer. So I had to navigate to the DP folder (hidden) to place the prog file in a spot DP would then list correctly.  This is silly.)

================

I had opened one of the included project files last night (C:\Cakewalk Projects\Cori Yarckin) with no problem.

And just now: I attempt to open Sonar and get this dialog:

Browse for folder: locate wavedata directory. 
And it shows this list:
desktop
libraries
jesse
computer
network

Why am I being asked for such.   Good thing I have disabled HIDE FOLDERs so I can browse into the area it probably resides.

No reason to use these silly locations.  NO user data should ever be saved in a location that is not, by default, easy to backup.
===========================
Just now I loaded a DP program, and then attempted to SAVE AS, and this folder was displayed:
C:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X1 Producer\ProChannel Presets. Go figger.

post edited by jm24 - 2012/07/21 17:53:11
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re:Regedit to change default folder location? 2012/07/22 00:22:44 (permalink)
Please. "Hack" at will!

The registry is simply the instruction set your system uses to operate the software.

It is yours to do with as you please.

However, you should know what you're doing in there. If you mess it up, you pay the price.

ALWAYS set a restore point BEFORE making changes. Then when you do mess it up you can revert back easily.

Steve
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1