Rename clip without opening inspector?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2011/09/05 23:27:30 (permalink)

Rename clip without opening inspector?

What's the easiest way to rename a clip without opening the real-estate-consuming inspector?

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

34 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/05 23:54:07 (permalink)
    Opening the real estate consuming inspector. No other way as far as I know.

I have a dual monitor display and its not a bother to have the inspector open on the other monitor and very convenient.

Best
    John
    Tripecac
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/06 04:30:26 (permalink)
    I also have 2 monitors but am used to Sonar 8.5.3, where you didn't have to use the inspector if you didn't want to.  I never wanted to use it, and still don't!  Unfortunately, it seems like we're forced to use it for changing the time and key trim and also for clip renaming.  Sigh.

tripecac.com
    Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

gothic.angel
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 572
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/06 05:52:09 (permalink)
    Tripecac

I also have 2 monitors but am used to Sonar 8.5.3, where you didn't have to use the inspector if you didn't want to.  I never wanted to use it, and still don't!  Unfortunately, it seems like we're forced to use it for changing the time and key trim and also for clip renaming.  Sigh.

+1

...let's also keep in mind that there are scenarios with one single monitor only available,
    and then it is often a waste of space.... thus not convenient.... 

...plus, for faster, intuitive and immediate use, features should be mainly located in their proper context where they physically belong...  

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/06 05:54:09 (permalink)
    You press I. The inspector appears. You make your changes. You press I. The inspector disappears. Sure, it's using up screen space in those moments when it's exactly what you're looking at.

This is no different at all from opening and closing a dialog box.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    gothic.angel
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/06 06:06:06 (permalink)
    John T

You press I. The inspector appears. You make your changes. You press I. The inspector disappears. Sure, it's using up screen space in those moments when it's exactly what you're looking at.

This is no different at all from opening and closing a dialog box.

...there is difference.... as going straight to the clips or to track header to change values for whatever is to them related is more natural and spontaneous...

...and still no need to waste any space...

...at least it should be an obvious option.... as it was......  ;-)

John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/06 06:40:22 (permalink)
    You could make a case that one mode of access is more obvious than the other, I suppose. But the "wasted space" thing is simply bunk. It can be shown and hidden with a single keypress or mouse click. Given that one of the favourite themes around here is that MORE CLIKZ IZ BAD, it should be noted that this is fewer clicks than right clicking a clip and then left clicking the option to rename. And also that the box that appears when you do this also (gasp) takes up space on the screen.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    gothic.angel
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/06 06:51:26 (permalink)
    points of view...

..nevertheless it does waste a lot of space... especially considering its "double-strip" size... 

...and what's worse, it's even more confusing, as it blows different aspects of editing divided by several tabs, which often means... "which is where...?"...

...not only space, but even time waster, in the end......

...going right away and straight to the track is always faster......... 
    post edited by gothic.angel - 2011/09/06 06:53:48

garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/06 09:00:47 (permalink)
    The Inspector does have the advantage of being able to change properties on multiple selected clips simultaneously. I like that.

But it would also be cool if you could separate the Clip, Track and ProChannel tabs from the Inspector and place them anywhere.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - http://garrigus.com
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar ProAudioTutor video tutorial series: http://garrigus.com/?ProAudioTutor
    * Publisher of the DigiFreq free music technology newsletter: http://digifreq.com/?DigiFreq
    * Publisher of the NewTechReview free consumer technology newsletter: http://newtechreview.com/?NewTechReview

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/06 13:09:00 (permalink)
    John TGiven that one of the favourite themes around here is that MORE CLIKZ IZ BAD, it should be noted that this is fewer clicks than right clicking a clip and then left clicking the option to rename.

I don't really care about the debate, but I do care about factual correctness. I don't see how you're counting clicks.

To make the change, and get back to where you started (something the X1 defenders seem always to conveniently omit), I have:

1. Right-click clip
    2. Choose Clip Properties
    3. Type a new name over the already highlighted existing name.
    4. Enter or OK

X1
    1. Select the clip.
    2. Click or "I" to open Inspector.
    3. Click the Clips tab.
    4. Click in the name field to edit it and/or swipe over the existing/default name to select it.
    5. Type the new name.
    6. Enter to save it.
    7. Click the Clip tab again to close it.
    8. Click or press "I" to close Inspector.

Even without closing the Clips tab and the Inspector, X1 has two more clicks/keystrokes to get the basic operation done.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Tripecac
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/06 13:10:56 (permalink)
    Sonar is a Windows application.  This is, in fact, part of Sonar's non-hyped selling point; it is easy to learn for Windows users.

In Windows (and typical Windows apps), selecting something and hitting F2 lets you rename that object.

So in Sonar, if you select a clip and hit F2, you expect to be able to rename the clip.  However, in X1 F2 renames the track, not the clip.  That, to me, is unintuitive and anti-Windows.  A sign of lazy design and/or programming. 

We can blame Sonar's UI holes on the recession, but part of me thinks Cakewalk hired a bunch of Mac lovers (Windows haters) to design X1.
    post edited by Tripecac - 2011/09/06 13:13:27

tripecac.com

gothic.angel
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/07 08:30:53 (permalink)
    brundlefly

John T
    Given that one of the favourite themes around here is that MORE CLIKZ IZ BAD, it should be noted that this is fewer clicks than right clicking a clip and then left clicking the option to rename.

I don't really care about the debate, but I do care about factual correctness. I don't see how you're counting clicks.

To make the change, and get back to where you started (something the X1 defenders seem always to conveniently omit), I have:

1. Right-click clip
    4. Enter or OK

X1
    1. Select the clip.
    3. Click the Clips tab.
    4. Click in the name field to edit it and/or swipe over the existing/default name to select it.
    5. Type the new name.
    6. Enter to save it.

Even without closing the Clips tab and the Inspector, X1 has two more clicks/keystrokes to get the basic operation done.

...nice one, Brundlefly... 

...it actually summarizes the concept of X1 making SONAR so much SLOWER than before... indeed...

post edited by gothic.angel - 2011/09/07 08:32:22

gothic.angel
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/07 08:49:36 (permalink)
    Tripecac

Sonar is a Windows application.  This is, in fact, part of Sonar's non-hyped selling point; it is easy to learn for Windows users.

In Windows (and typical Windows apps), selecting something and hitting F2 lets you rename that object.

So in Sonar, if you select a clip and hit F2, you expect to be able to rename the clip.  However, in X1 F2 renames the track, not the clip.  That, to me, is unintuitive and anti-Windows.  A sign of lazy design and/or programming. 

We can blame Sonar's UI holes on the recession, but part of me thinks Cakewalk hired a bunch of Mac lovers (Windows haters) to design X1.

...yep... Now I DO understand those absurd changes come with X1....!!! They are among us, undercover, attempting to destroy SONAR...! 

...I should have known from the beginning.....!!! 

(see my signature below for further info......)

...jokes aside.... I think you remarked a good point about X1 being unintuitive and somehow disjointed from Windows standard functions.......

Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/07 12:08:34 (permalink)
    Yes, yes, yes....

there are wonderful new features to the new method...

But... amongst all these other issues I must look away from what I'm working on (the clip) as the data appears away from the clip... and I had to move my mouse across the screen to click on clip after first opening the Inspector...

It's got advantages as well as disadvantages and maybe the two will work themselves out...

Right now for me this is another minor PITA to the new GUI...

How often do I rename more than one clip to the same name??? For me I need the clip data to be individual to each clip. I don't remember the last time I applied the same edit of this kind to two clips...

But honestly? I can live with this.... I hope they spend more time fixing all the layer/envelope issues instead! ;-)

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/07 17:56:11 (permalink)
    brundlefly

John T
    Given that one of the favourite themes around here is that MORE CLIKZ IZ BAD, it should be noted that this is fewer clicks than right clicking a clip and then left clicking the option to rename.

1. Right-click clip
    4. Enter or OK

X1
    1. Select the clip.
    3. Click the Clips tab.
    5. Type the new name.
    6. Enter to save it.

I will grant that for naming a single clip the old way was perhaps faster but when one needs to name multiple clips the X1 way is faster. See this video.

Best
    John
    brundlefly
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/07 19:06:58 (permalink)
    when one needs to name multiple clips the X1 way is faster

Sorry, John, I'm not seeing it. At best, X1 is a dead heat with 8.5's four steps, and that only if you exclude opening and closing the Inspector and the Clips tab.

Once you have the Clips tab showing, renaming each additional clip or group of clips (which 8.5 can also do) requires:

1. Select the clip(s)
    2. Click or swipe in the Clip Name field of the Inspector
    3. Type the name
    4. Enter

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/07 19:18:09 (permalink)
    brundlefly

when one needs to name multiple clips the X1 way is faster

Sorry, John, I'm not seeing it. At best, X1 is a dead heat with 8.5's four steps, and that only if you exclude opening and closing the Inspector and the Clips tab.

Once you have the Clips tab showing, renaming each additional clip or group of clips (which 8.5 can also do) requires:

1. Select the clip(s)
    2. Click or swipe in the Clip Name field of the Inspector
    3. Type the name
    4. Enter

Did you see the video?  In your first post one step I can eliminate because I have the inspector always open or most often.

Best
    John
    brundlefly
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/07 21:45:20 (permalink)
    Did you see the video?  In your first post one step I can eliminate because I have the inspector always open or most often.

I looked at several. I wasn't sure which one you intended. I didn't see anything that contradicted what I posted.

The reason I included opening the Inspector is that it had already been pointed out that the Inspector takes up a significant amount of screen real estate, to which John T replied 'But the "wasted space" thing is simply bunk. It can be shown and hidden with a single keypress or mouse click.'

I was just showing that all those "single" keystrokes add up.

It's not a big deal, but it's simply not true that X1 is comparable to 8.5 in this case, much less "way faster".

gothic.angel
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 03:10:02 (permalink)
    brundlefly

It's not a big deal, but it's simply not true that X1 is comparable to 8.5 in this case, much less "way faster".

...in this case, as usually in others...... 

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 03:33:55 (permalink)
    Has anyone looked at the video. It shows that X1 is faster for doing this.

Best
    John
    Tripecac
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 04:01:13 (permalink)
    John, your link was to http://www.cakewalk.com/CakeTV/quickbytes.aspx which lists a bunch of videos.

tripecac.com

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 04:26:30 (permalink)
    When you open that page it is set to go. Its about 10 things faster in X1 v 8.5. That is the title. The whole vid is cool but the part that is of interest here is about a little more then half way through.

Best
    John
    JClosed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 04:40:13 (permalink)
    I think this threads are funny. If people used the time needed to type in their (most times lengthy) complaints for doing those few extra clicks in X1 they should be more productive with X1 then they are with 8.5. In short - complaining over, and over, and over, and over, and over , and over again - takes far more time than just do that (supposedly) few extra mouse clicks.. Funny indeed... ;-)
    Tripecac
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 04:51:12 (permalink)
    I watched the main video, and saw the few seconds of talking about how the inspector makes editing properties of multiple clips easier. I don't really see how it's faster for editing a single clip, though.

I think many of the X1 UI changes will benefit some people and hurt others. I guess it's all in how you use Sonar.

Personally, I like being able to right click on something to edit its properties in a popup. That's a common Windows UI feature. Having properties populate a fixed panel (like the inspector) feels like more a Apple/Photoshop/Macromedia thing.

I like the Windows approach because I've been using Windows for 15+ years and am used to it.

I know, however, that Windows is not considered as "cool" as Apple these days. With the recession, Cakewalk needed to do something radical to coax people's wallets out of their pockets. The "radical" thing they did was make Sonar less Windows-y and more Apple-y.

Some people will think X1 is "cool", just like iTunes, iPods, and facebook are "cool". And to them, maybe that sort of Apple-esque interface is indeed more usable. But to long-time Windows users like me, who would rather have tedious-yet-reliable control rather than fast-and-flaky control, a lot of the changes in X1 are unwelcome.

I hope Cakewalk finds a way to give Windows control freaks what they want, and Apple fans what they want. To do that, they need to add back some of the Sonar 8.5.3 UI. It makes for a more complex program (with multiple ways of doing things), but that's the price they (and we) will pay for the recession prodding Cakewalk into making the "radical" changes.
    post edited by Tripecac - 2011/09/08 04:52:44

tripecac.com

Tripecac
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 04:56:38 (permalink)
    JClosed, time spent with Sonar is not the same as time spent on the forum. When we're working on music, we don't want anything to interrupt our focus/inspiration. Every time a UI issue causes us to focus on the application rather than the creation, the creation suffers.

tripecac.com

gothic.angel
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 05:14:16 (permalink)
    JClosed

I think this threads are funny. If people used the time needed to type in their (most times lengthy) complaints for doing those few extra clicks in X1 they should be more productive with X1 then they are with 8.5. In short - complaining over, and over, and over, and over, and over , and over again - takes far more time than just do that (supposedly) few extra mouse clicks.. Funny indeed... ;-)

...wrong....

...complaints in this cases (often, at least...) are reasoned criticism, based on daily experience which at times proves that X1 itself could be more productive....
    ...thus serve to make Cakewalk improve their product ...that is the goal...  

...X1 being slower than 8.5 is a heavy reported issue, so there must be reasons........ 

...there would be no good in denying or being silent about that....

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 05:32:19 (permalink)

I watched the main video, and saw the few seconds of talking about how the inspector makes editing properties of multiple clips easier. I don't really see how it's faster for editing a single clip, though.
    You're right. I said so in my second post on this thread. Post 15. The one with the link.

I am not in disagreement with you on anything. I think you have a very reasonable approach.
    post edited by John - 2011/09/08 05:35:36

Best
    John
    gothic.angel
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 05:35:01 (permalink)
    Tripecac

I think many of the X1 UI changes will benefit some people and hurt others. I guess it's all in how you use Sonar.

Personally, I like being able to right click on something to edit its properties in a popup. That's a common Windows UI feature. Having properties populate a fixed panel (like the inspector) feels like more a Apple/Photoshop/Macromedia thing.

... To do that, they need to add back some of the Sonar 8.5.3 UI. It makes for a more complex program (with multiple ways of doing things)... 

...agree....

...remarking that SONAR is a Windows application, working in a Windows environment... even with Macs' Bootcamp, it still operates in Windows.....

...so what have the Macs (and their ugly-trendy-toy-like "i-Toys"...) got to do with it......? NOTHING.............!  

...Sure, it's market that rules the world, but in these days when APPLE is eventually aiming its products to a wider, younger, and then less "Pro" range of customers, all happy within their closed world all around i-Tunes/i-Phone/i-Craps, while Windows7 appears to be the real "working" OS (no matter what Macs fanatics will say and their usual tiresome common grounds...) it all becomes weird............  

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 05:43:20 (permalink)
    ...Sure, it's market that rules the world, but in these days when APPLE is eventually aiming its products to a wider, younger, and then less "Pro" range of customers, all happy within their closed world all around i-Tunes/i-Phone/i-Craps, while Windows7 appears to be the real "working" OS (no matter what Macs fanatics will say and their usual tiresome common grounds...) it all becomes weird............
      Well said. I am no Apple fan. But we don't really need to bash the Apple do we? We already know its overpriced theft of other's work. They even have the gall to sue Samsung about their new Galaxy tablet. It looks too much like an ipad. Funny thing is Windows tablets have been around for ages. Now Android is taking the consumer market by storm and Apple is having a fit. They also stopped distribution in the EU.

Apple, when are people going to wake up?

Best
    John
    gothic.angel
    Re:Rename clip without opening inspector? 2011/09/08 09:25:02 (permalink)
    John

...They even have the gall to sue Samsung about their new Galaxy tablet. It looks too much like an ipad.
    ...Now Android is taking the consumer market by storm and Apple is having a fit. They also stopped distribution in the EU.

Apple, when are people going to wake up?

...yep... that's APPLE's usual "style"... USUAL "eletist" arrogance...  unbearable....  

post edited by gothic.angel - 2011/09/08 09:26:19

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1