Helpful ReplyLockedRenewal Fee

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/10 21:12:40 (permalink)
Now it's just spin on your part. The discounts are unknown at this time. They may be better that you think or they may be worse. I don't know and neither do you. The price increase is the only thing we're all sure of. Nobody said that Cakewalk or anyone else is being deceptive, that's an inflammatory response. Pump the brakes buddy, you're moving too fast here.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/10 21:25:00 (permalink)
Look, I understand that most people here are musicians and don't understand how marketing, pricing, etc. works so let me explain.

There are two important elements to consider: Customer acquisition and in the case of anything requiring renewals, customer retention. Customer acquisition is extremely expensive. Failure to retain customers (commonly called "churn") is also expensive. Therefore whenever a company is dependent on renewals from discretionary income (magazines, satellite radio, etc.), they will make significant efforts to retain customers. (Of course, companies like utilities where you have to buy their services every month don't offer discounts, and besides, most of them are regulated monopolies anyway.)

A really good example is magazines. A magazine might cost $8.95 on the newsstand, so there will be blow-in cards that offer "6 months for $19.95!" or whatever. Well, that's a good deal and helps with customer acquisition. The magazine won't make any money from it, but the gamble is that the customer will like the magazine and subscribe when the six months run out. 

At the end of that six months, the magazine has to convince the person to re-subscribe or they will fail to retain the customer, and thus have to do another pricey customer acquisition if they want to avoid churn. So you get an email offer that says "renew now for a special price of [whatever]." This is intended to provide an incentive for people to re-subscribe.

If they don't, it's equally likely that several months later, they'll get a "we want you back" promotion. And so on.

Cakewalk not following through on their explicit statement that they expect to run specials and discounts from time to time would fly in the face of everything that's known about renewal-based revenue models, including what the company has done for 30 years with updates from one version to the next. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/10 21:50:18 (permalink)
ampfixer
Now it's just spin on your part. The discounts are unknown at this time.

What is "unknown" about "We expect to offer discounts and specials from time to time?"

They may be better that you think or they may be worse.

You are not saying what Coolbass said. Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, you are acknowledging that discounts will exist - your only question is whether they'll be good discounts or not very good discounts. Coolbass said, unequivocally, that the price would be 50%. That is what I dispute. 

I don't know and neither do you.

Actually I do. What Alex said about offering discounts and specials from time to time was discussed internally before the new pricing went into effect. Alex is simply stating publicly what was decided privately before this was put into place.

The price increase is the only thing we're all sure of.

You can also be sure that Cakewalk expects to offer specials and discounts from time to time. Read my explanation above of why this is done as a matter of course with renewal-based models.

Nobody said that Cakewalk or anyone else is being deceptive, that's an inflammatory response. Pump the brakes buddy, you're moving too fast here.

I never said anyone said Cakewalk was being deceptive. Read what I wrote: "The only way Coolbass's (and your) statement would be true is if Cakewalk is lying and has no intention to offer specials and discounts, and the use of 'at least 50%' and '50%+' are intended to be deceptive." I was the one who posited a scenario of what Cakewalk would have to do to validate the statement that the only way to update would be to pay 50% of the retail price.

If Cakewalk says "at least 50%" and "50%+" and "we expect to offer discounts and specials from time to time" and don't follow through, and the only way you can update is to pay 50% of the retail price, then that would be deceptive. I truly don't see how anyone can disagree with that.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/10 21:52:11 (permalink)
I think the bottom line is that some people just love to complain.  No matter what is being offered, some people will find something to complain about.  They complained about the Lifetime Updates deal, but now they're complaining that it's not being offered anymore. 

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
Anderton
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/10 21:57:56 (permalink)
Let's take the emotions out and distill the thread to its essence:

"Paying 50% of the full price for a 1-year renewal is too expensive."

"Then wait until there's a discount or special. Cakewalk plans to do them from time to time."

"Oh, OK. What if it's not a very good discount and is still too expensive?"

"Then skip an upgrade; you'll pay 50% or less of list price for two years of upgrades. Or wait four years and pay 12.5% of list price for each year of updates."

"Oh. OK." 

The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/10 23:35:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby coolbass 2017/04/11 02:02:19
Anderton
ampfixer
Now it's just spin on your part. The discounts are unknown at this time.

What is "unknown" about "We expect to offer discounts and specials from time to time?"

i would have to agree with  ampfixer's and coolbass's thoughts/sentiments, the only thing certain is the %50 less, saying that there may be sales or discounts has no certainty, there is not even a % you can quote. the only certainty here is the 50% less. and i agree, it does seem like spin to me

Anderton

well for one, "we expect . . . . ' is not exactly a certainty by any means, they also expected to have the mac alpha out months ago, so obviously, and as you would know yourself, but perhaps be not willing to admit, expectations can quite easily fall flat on their face.

the only thing certain seems to be the %50 less, saying that there may be sales or discounts has no certainty.

not that it matters much to me, sonar isn't my number 1 daw, it's rarely used, plus i got the lifetime updates thingy upon release for $99, but even with that, it seems uncertainty may be creeping in, and 'lifetime' may not be as long as one might think, if i am reading correctly into what you said here

Anderton

The reality is that people can be "grandfathered in" for only so long. Even grandfathers die eventually.

like this is could be the beginning, the first trickle of the flood which brings the end date to lifetime, if you understand my meaning. of course lifetime can't be forever, and was never stated as such, it's only while sonar is sonar in it's current form . . . still . . . one wonders
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/10 23:45:48 (permalink)
The Grim
it seems uncertainty may be creeping in, and 'lifetime' may not be as long as one might think, if i am reading correctly into what you said here

Anderton

The reality is that people can be "grandfathered in" for only so long. Even grandfathers die eventually.

like this is could be the beginning, the first trickle of the flood which brings the end date to lifetime, if you understand my meaning. of course lifetime can't be forever, and was never stated as such, it's only while sonar is sonar in it's current form . . . still . . . one wonders

Wow. Conflating that statement with a supposed end to lifetime updates is whole new level,  even on a forum altogether too familiar with pure speculation!

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
The Grim
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/10 23:52:07 (permalink)
well, it's in good company with the rest of the 'speculation' put forth here

and i did say 'could', it could very well be the first step in cushioning the blow
tenfoot
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/10 23:54:56 (permalink)
The Grim
well, it's in good company with the rest of the speculation put forth here

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
The Grim
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 00:32:13 (permalink)
The Grim
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 00:53:41 (permalink)
after all, i am 'the grim' and as such i like to see things from different sides, not just the 'rosy, everything is great side' but also the darker side, gives a bit more balance, and then i can decide where i stand as apposed to blindly following the 'everything is rosy, everything is great' side. as i said it doesn't really matter much to me, and i look at it as that i have already come out on top with the lifetime updates for $99, i got the 2 lp plugs for nothing (even though i don't use them . . . i have heaps of other plugs i don't use) so that covers my $99 expense . . . if lifetime ends tomorrow, i win , if lifetime continues and sonar gets it's act together and becomes my number one daw, i win , if not i have already won

anything is possible, and when dealing with companies, my opinion is a company is a company is a company, i don't subscribe to the thought that cakewalk is somehow some supernatural company which is different than any other company, i would find that type of thought foolish. a companies number one priority is to itself, full stop, now you can spin that and say 'but they must look after their user base first and foremost, keep them happy to stay in business etc etc' i say phooey to that, their number one priority is to themselves. anything is possible, they could end lifetime updates anytime after they feel that those who brought in got more than they would have on the old system and rationalize it, excuse it as having given value, after all they didn't say it would last forever, only until sonar became something else. would it worry me if at the end of the year sonar morphed into a new product rendering lifetime updates void? not in the least, i have already won as stated i like to believe anything is possible, anything can happen, after all we are dealing with a company, a company which is no different than any other, to believe otherwise is folly. and as we all know from dealing with various companies, it's not a matter of anything can happen, but anything will happen, it's just a matter of time (literally with lifetime updates)
coolbass
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 01:54:14 (permalink)
I am being accused of making false statements. I do not appreciate this at all.
I am out.

Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 02:00:38 (permalink)
I'm very happy I chose the Lifetime updates.  Thank you.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 07:25:28 (permalink)
I am not native English speaker, so can someone "translate" real meaning of:

you can buy another 12 months of updates for at least 50% off the regular price of SONAR.

As Russian, I interpret at least 50% off as that you pay at most 50% (I mean "off" with 2 'f').
The discussion is around "fact" people have to pay at least 50%.

The first interpretation means the warrantee you never pay more than 50%. So let say this May they are free to make it 20%, next 40%, may be later 50% but not 55%. The second interpretation fix the lower border for the regular year price (with possible discounts).

What is right?

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 09:14:07 (permalink)
I would follow your reasoning too, azslow3. I'm Dutch, if that matters. I still think it's the correct interpretation and also what Anderton has been saying.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 09:48:58 (permalink)
azslow3
I am not native English speaker, so can someone "translate" real meaning of:

you can buy another 12 months of updates for at least 50% off the regular price of SONAR.

As Russian, I interpret at least 50% off as that you pay at most 50% (I mean "off" with 2 'f').
The discussion is around "fact" people have to pay at least 50%.

The first interpretation means the warrantee you never pay more than 50%. So let say this May they are free to make it 20%, next 40%, may be later 50% but not 55%. The second interpretation fix the lower border for the regular year price (with possible discounts).

What is right?

In English it means the smallest discount will be 50%. A larger discount is possible. 

Best
John
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 13:29:33 (permalink)
ampfixer
The price increase is documented and has a set value. You get 1 year, and after that it's half of retail to get another year of fixes and upgrades. That is documented and can't be argued. Whether or not Cake does specials is still an unknown.
Coolbass is absolutely correct and not making any false statements. There's nothing to dispute, facts are facts. Once the discounts happen then we can talk about how great they are, not until.

Most reasonable people would bet that his statement turns out to be false in the sense that every year, Cake will offer (at some point) a greater than 50% off full retail price for a year of membership/subscription/upgrades.  Betting against that would be a suckers bet based on historical and the statements made by Cakewalk as well as what the market seems to accept.  
Anderton
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 14:38:55 (permalink)
Okay, let's take this offline. 

If anyone wants to put his money where his mouth is and bet me that the Mac version won't come out, discounts for renewals won't be offered, or that lifetime updates will be abrogated, PM me with the amount of the wager you want to make. I wouldn't mind picking up some extra bucks without having to do any work 

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 14:47:18 (permalink)
The perspective that gets lost in the shuffle sometimes is that "year-to-year" implies a delta. For a non-Cakewalk customer, $500 for SONAR Platinum is an awesome deal... it includes over a decade of material and content. Quite a bit of stuff. The "problem" is that the year-to-year delta is not even close to 10% over a new buy (how many of us racked up extra DP licenses during the X-series?), but there are other issues associated with this model.

A portion of the people most likely to renew regularly (and most likely to be "professional" users, meaning that they generate revenue from SONAR to support the cost of the program) bought into the lifetime updates, so that revenue stream is diminished.

For hobbyists, especially those with limited time to learn new things or deal with beta testing, having a program which drastically changes on a frequent basis is not appealing in the slightest, let alone paying for those bug fixes.

The "Your DAW is not a game" sticky title is SO applicable to SONAR (not just Windows 10). People do not buy software to record music for the "thrill" of mouse clicking and "dealing" with the computer, but to make music. People do not want to spend 90 minutes of a 2-hour window "figuring things out." Time is the most precious commodity in life, and respecting another's time is impressive. Requiring people to invests hours just to stay "up-to-date" is disrespecting their time, and implying they have "nothing better to do." The upgrade cycle is like an ever-churning "game" in many ways for me. I know, I know, no one is "required" to update, but human nature will lead someone to install what they paid for (a big impetus behind this marketing strategy).

Interestingly, on a customer service call recently (potential fraud flag from buying Geist 2, no less), the rep began asking questions that led to the fact that he had gone to school for music production. I ended up talking to him for 40 minutes on various things (he was new but gnashing at the bit to get started). From the DAW side of things, I highly recommended that he join this forum because there is an awesome group of folks here, but I was unable to recommend SONAR specifically.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Anderton
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 15:08:04 (permalink)
mettelus
The perspective that gets lost in the shuffle sometimes is that "year-to-year" implies a delta. For a non-Cakewalk customer, $500 for SONAR Platinum is an awesome deal... it includes over a decade of material and content. Quite a bit of stuff. The "problem" is that the year-to-year delta is not even close to 10% over a new buy.

That's a valid point; in a way, that $500 is almost like a loss leader. However, it's not a scenario where $500 buys you a razor blade but you then have to spend a lot more on razors. People don't have to renew, and if they don't want to deal with frequent changes or yearly update pricing, they can simply wait a few years and then update. Although waiting a few years may sound problematic, the large population of people still using X-series and even older versions of SONAR show that not updating isn't a showstopper for many people.

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 15:27:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby coolbass 2017/04/11 16:04:17
grandwizz
To whom it may concern
I,m not happy about the increase in the annual fee
Last year it cost me $175
This year $229 thats a $54 increase Iv been a loyal customer for years
But its starting to get a bit much in my opinion  
I.ll give it another year as i,v just paid for it
But a may have to look for other options
Grandwizz

The minute Adobe's cloud subscription model was successful all was lost. Adobe's stock price has almost doubled. Nothing will ever be the same again. 
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 15:58:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby coolbass 2017/04/11 16:04:26
Anderton Although waiting a few years may sound problematic, the large population of people still using X-series and even older versions of SONAR show that not updating isn't a showstopper for many people.

the increased upgrade prices might increase the number of those not upgrading, and could be a showstopper in other ways

just a sec

pwalpwal
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/11 16:07:04 (permalink)
rabeach
The minute Adobe's cloud subscription model was successful all was lost. Adobe's stock price has almost doubled. Nothing will ever be the same again.

saas is really the first "new" way to sell/manage software, after just selling it on a disk like a "static" physical product and shareware, and it needed a big player like adobe to see if it works...
i'm not sure if it will last, but then i don't have any other bright ideas on how to do it...
with cake moving to a 12 month thing, it's almost back to the major/minor version pattern, but with the "version" being a timeframe rather than the major/minor thing, in cake's favour as the rollover point is now 12 months as opposed to ~18 months for the m/m way, and "agile" development (cake appear to be doing monthly sprints) is just a variation of "time-boxing" development so it makes sense for cake as it's easier to fit the various business pieces together...
/fwiw, ymmv, interesting thread, etc

just a sec

stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/12 05:06:19 (permalink)
Anderton
Okay, let's take this offline. 

If anyone wants to put his money where his mouth is and bet me [..], PM me with the amount of the wager you want to make. 

Where I come from, that's called "making it interesting"...

I always thought SONAR (Professional/Platinum) was stupid cheap considering what you get. Still is.
tenfoot
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/12 07:28:44 (permalink)
rabeach

Another point of interest though would be to know the increase in downloading pirated/cracked copies of Adobe products once they introduced the subscription only model. It is certainly much easier for people to engage in questionable practices against companies that could be reasonably perceived as treating customers unfairly. No one likes to have choice taken away.

Bruce.

gprokap
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/12 14:35:40 (permalink)
Darangen

That said, as long as what Anderton is saying is true and the increased cost is going to support SONAR updates and not simply line the pockets of Gibson executives, I'd ultimately be fine with an increased cost - because I'd actually benefit from that increase.

Gibson's has already hit the iceberg and there aren't enough boats.  I wonder who'll own Cakewalk next?
gprokap
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/12 14:38:21 (permalink)
Yeah, the renewal price is kinda nuts, just skip a year or two unless they release the mother of all killer-apps.   The current iteration of SONAR's great right now, I'm completely happy with what it does.  Adding more features I don't need won't easily separate me from my cash.
pwalpwal
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/12 14:49:41 (permalink)
well alex westner has recently returned after doing the izotope investor stuff, so at least they have someone with experience

just a sec

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/12 15:09:42 (permalink)
What's a renewal cost?

Oh, I forgot, I'm a lifetime member with free Platinum updates. Happy camper here.
pwalpwal
Re: Renewal Fee 2017/04/12 15:32:22 (permalink)
bapu
What's a renewal cost?

Oh, I forgot, I'm a lifetime member with free Platinum updates. Happy camper here.

have fun with your beta testing

just a sec

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1