Helpful ReplyRent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED]

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/24 11:54:37 (permalink)
Hi, guys. Again many thanks.

Yanno, I try to avoid talking about personal crap on here too much. For one it really wasn't done in my old hard ass crowd and secondly it's just bummer thing to do. However for the sake of letting you guys know how important this place has been to me I'll make a breif exception. Some of you have a bit of insight into what's been going on via private convos but mostly I try to stay upbeat and stick to the techie/music stuff.

When I first showed up here I was going through some EXTREMELY dark times. Since I first picked up a guitar when I was 12 music has been my entire life. Everything I did I did so I could keep playing. My bands were my family, the bandroom and stages my church. All the insane and grueling jobs I did were for the sole purpose of keeping myself close to where the gig action was, pay for gear/rehearsal space, have the freedom to go on little weekend tours (and a few extended tours). Once my body gave up (and the money dried up) I was forced to completely uproot myself and leave all that behind. It was just about the worst thing imagineable to me. Essentially I went from constantly being surrounded by musicians and friends and getting my musical "fix" 3-4 nights a week at band practice or gigs to sitting completely by myself in a tiny room in so much pain I could barely hold my guitar (on my good days). I was completely broke but managed to clear away my debts and and build a computer (first time ever and I knew NOTHING about techie stuff) to record with.

I had been recording previously (just band practices and whatnot) on an old hand me down XP clunker that I could barely operate. Basically all I knew how to do was set up some tracks and hit record. The DAW I was using was WOEFULLY outdated and I had ZERO extra tools (like drum synths or decent plugins). That was fine when I was in full bands but on my own without a drum kit or proper amps or anything I needed something more modern so I could write. I looked at all the packages out at the time not really knowing jack about any of them. I knew I needed drums, effects and synths and something that allowed me to build songs up from nothing.

Sonar (X1) at the time seemed to be the only DAW offering all of that without me having to spend hundreds (or thousands) of extra dollars to do what I needed. I researched the h*ll out of all of my options of course and despite a lot of the negativity and prejudices surrounding Sonar at the time I saw through some of the more frivolous complaints and made my move.

BUT... one of the things that seemed to be consistently reported as being a huge positive to being a Sonar user was this forum. Since I essentially knew next to nothing about recording, despite desparately trying to learn through recording buddies over the years (I now realize they were all old school analog guys and we were now in the midst of the digital music revolution) that what would be the most VALUABLE and important asset to me was knowledge and guidance. You can have all the best gear in the world but it's WORTHLESS if you don't know how to use it.

So *plonk* went the dough toward the X1 Production Suite (no modest feat at the time) and I signed up for an account here. The first night I got everything fired up I ran into problems. I came here and posted and almost immediately John, chuckebaby and others jumped in and got me sorted. Within a couple weeks (and a bunch more posts and threads) I had muddled my way through getting some crummy test projects done. Bapu invited me to sing backup on some CHC/Monkeys tunes (teaching me all about online collab methods and file transfers... invaluable for session work).

I started getting used to the lingo and the threads that might as well have been written in heiroglyphics previously started making more sense. I learned about mixing techniques, MIDI, advanced editing, etc by asking around to get a general idea of what's what and using that info to dig into my own research.

Now I am right at home using Sonar. If I can hear it in my head I can generally get it into a project and make it a reality (such a relief letting some of that chaotic cacophony out... lol). By learning all the tools with the help of everyone here and my own spastic hard headedness I don't have this constant angst of "I NEED TO BUY ALL THIS EXTRA GACK BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT!".

My point is, even when I was in so much pain I couldn't do ANYTHING but sit and stare at the computer or when I had crackheads brawling in the hall outside my door or trying to punch through my wall while I'm trying to sleep or so broke and hungry and isolated a normal human would be tempted to do the unthinkable I could come here and learn about/discuss the thing I love most, music, and still feel like life had meaning and that things could get better.

Now five years later, although things still aren't great, they are better. I know I'll be able to make what I set out to do happen and it might not be so far off (or outright impossible) as it seemed previously. By ignoring the garbage in my life and focusing on the task at hand I poke my head up every now and again to reflect and can see that things have indeed gotten more sane and tolerable. By staying calm and busy (no easy feat for a serious spazz like me) even my pain levels have become more manageable.

All of that and I've made some WICKED friends along the way who care about the same thing I do. Music. The help and support this (and previous) threads have provided are just the icing on the cake (lol... get it? Because "Cakewalk").

And that's why in the past I've gotten just a teensy bit upset and offended when folks take digs at the forum itself. Sure I've gotten into some dustups but really, with a positive attitude this really is just about the best place you could be as a digital music production oriented individual.

I am going to make a point to NOT get sucked into any negativity anymore and solely focus on the end goal. Producing and discussing music. There are more than enough good people here, and new people coming in every day that are here to learn that wasting even a second on unnecessary drama or angst is just silly. Besides... I'm so busy FINALLY getting things done that it would be completely counter productive to let internet silliness distract or upset. me.

Alright. Now you guys know how I feel about ya'll so I'll switch back to being a dood.

*stern and brooding macho guy face*

Seriously, thanks guys.
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/24 12:11:01 (permalink)
Glad to hear it, Beep. That's the attitude to take. The more I focus on what I love/enjoy, the more of that kind of "fun" shows up in my life. This is an excellent forum and I just blow off the "demonic, demented and demolished 7ths, and all the "argumentatives". I like that I look forward to checking in here and so I focus on that.
Best of luck/wishes to you!
   As Johnny Mercer wrote/sang, "accentuate the positive".
Michael
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/24 12:37:17 (permalink)
Nice Beepster. You are one very genuine dude:) 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Beepster
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/24 13:29:23 (permalink)
pentimentosound
Way to go "team Lifetime"! Congrats Beep.
I've been waiting to buy my Lifetime  ...holding off on this for budget reasons and it's making me nervous! LOL
I'll be very glad to see that infinity symbol, when I pay for that relief!
Michael

I want to reply to a bunch of posts here (and will) but I wanted to say... if it comes down to the wire for you Mike and it's a matter of like ten bucks or so let me know. Of course I'm broke as broke can be but if something comes through and I can help... well you helped me last year and your a good guy (and we need doods like you around here) so I'd do what I can.

I have a feeling you'll be alright though. You have a good karma vibe about ya.

PS: My lappy choked on my original, more eloquent reply to this... which is another problem I need to sort out. Been hammering on this bugger for way too long. It's a trooper though. lol...

Cheers!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/24 15:15:31 (permalink)
Beep I read your post above the whole thing. It brought tears to my eyes for the gratitude I sense from you. None of that was needed BTW because you have earned your place on this forum. I do know some of the back story but that doesn't matter. Its all about how you treat the members here. Its because of that that you have the respect and friendship of so many here. You did it. No one did it for you. Just keep doing it. 

Best
John
joel77
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/24 23:17:07 (permalink)
Glad it worked it for you, Beepster.

Joel  Glaser
Studio 52     

God Bless America
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonar x64, Win 7 Pro, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7-930 2.86GHz dual quad core, 12GB Corsair DDL3,
Asus ATI Radion HD 4350, WD 500 GB SATA, 
Dual WD 1TB SATA HDs, ME RayDAT, Alesis HD24XR - A/D-D/A

https://www.facebook.com/...dio-52/811309178917929
www.thebrothersglaser.com
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/25 19:20:47 (permalink)
Late to the party, obviously, but I'm glad to see it worked out for you, Beeps.  Then again, with this forum was there ever any doubt?

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Chregg
Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2382
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/26 13:34:41 (permalink)
you bought it yet Beeps
Beepster
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/26 15:26:49 (permalink)
Chregg
you bought it yet Beeps

Yes, of course. Happened saturday right after I marked this Solved.

Currently working on something that came from this thread.

Thanks again, guys.

@John... No tears, man. Tons of folks around here in my same boat or worse and ten fold of lurkers I'm sure.

And sorry for not replying to each wicked kind post each but I don't want to keep bumping. You guys know I think you're solid gold though. If not... well I do.

Cheers!
Chregg
Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2382
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/26 15:49:17 (permalink)
nice one
pentimentosound
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/07/26 16:48:24 (permalink)
Thanks, Beepster!
   I am sure I'll be good to go (for life! LOL). I think this is a great place and I am very glad to be part of it. So I like to keep that in mind while I post.
   I learn tons of stuff here and it feels great to know that there's a feeling that runs through the gang, to keep us all moving .... onward and upward (junior birdmen??!?). Like Stevec, I had no doubt about it when I saw this thread, you'd already cleared the hump and I was not surprised in the least.
Michael
pentimentosound
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/08/04 10:13:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2016/08/05 14:54:20
I bought my SPLAT Lifetime last night and have to say I am quite relieved!
Michael
Beepster
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/08/05 13:17:29 (permalink)
pentimentosound
I bought my SPLAT Lifetime last night and have to say I am quite relieved!
Michael

That's great news, man. I hope you get as much use out of it as I intend to.

:-)
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/08/05 16:57:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg71 2016/08/06 10:43:53
Hey Beepster sorry I didn't see this sooner or else I would have totally contributed! I seem to avoid the main forum these days, guess I've been very low on Sonar problems and have just been getting on with making music! I would still like to throw a little something your way though, are you still open for contributions? Perhaps there is something you have been looking to add to your VST arsenal for a while that we could also contribute to. You've definitely earned it for your role as a sort of unpaid member of Cakewalk's support crew!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
pentimentosound
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/08/05 19:04:12 (permalink)
Thanks Beep! I intend to appreciate it for a long time and have a grand time in the process.
@ BobF    I can't imagine why it's helpful, but more power to you. I wanted to let the Beepster know I'd cleared the budget hump.
Michael
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/08/05 20:29:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Brando 2016/08/06 09:50:00

It's "Helpful" because there isn't a "Fist Bump" button ...

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

pentimentosound
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/08/06 09:32:24 (permalink)
Ah. Thanks, BobF! 
I didn't know about the fist bump emoji. My online/PC skills always need expanding....
So, how about that, first thing this morning, I learn something. Not bad and the coffee tastes great......
I do know how to copy/paste, however, which seems to cover lots of things. LOL
Michael
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/08/06 10:20:55 (permalink)
pentimentosound
I do know how to copy/paste, however, which seems to cover lots of things. LOL

Several people in German government have learned how to use copy/paste function (f.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causa_Guttenberg), they are no longer in the government... Copy/paste is not good

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
pentimentosound
Re: Rent a Beepster: Will work for Sonar Lifetime Upgrade [SOLVED] 2016/08/06 13:22:22 (permalink)
LOL     I guess so! All things in moderation, including moderation..........
I am very glad that my copy/paste skills are used for good and that it never occurs to me to use them for more than fun.
Michael
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1