Request : Program within sonar that ( exposes faulty plugins ).

Author
Soundblend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
2016/04/01 16:11:13 (permalink)

Request : Program within sonar that ( exposes faulty plugins ).

Who have experienced that sonar may stop working due to a 32 bit plugin, causes Sonar to stop working
I have several times.. Quite often with some of the VSTi's within sonar itself.

I may have a project with several vsti's, like :

* Dimension Pro
* Drumcore free ( 3rd party plugin )
* Synthmaster 2.7 player ( 3rd party plugin ) i know that one is bugged.. btw
* Truepianos
* Tone 2 Firebird ( 3rd party plugin )
* Bosphy Bass ( 3rd party plugin )
* Ultra analog session

This is some i have used, and when i have changed some patches ( sounds ) with :

* Dimension Pro
* Ultra analog session
* Synthmaster player

( I may change a patch on one synth, then go to the next change the sound and so on while the project is running... )

It would have Sonar to stop working, and just hang ( white screen of death ) and with a pop, pop ,pop  or similar sound
from my speakers, repeating itself... Forcing you to exit sonar, or even CTR+ALT+DEL, to quit it...
Quite familiar me thinks... for others as well.

( Booom .... Biiip.... Sonar stop working.. Mehh ) 

Now as i am no computer nerd, i find Cakewalk problem report a bit difficult to use
You have to explain , step by step, and with my bad memory.. ( getting old XD ) outch, that's not my thingy...

My request is this : 

What if we had a program running inside of sonar that will expose an " faulty plugin " in a window
and show's the name of that plugin..., and as well a report button on it, so we could report faulty plugins directly to CW.

We would also benefit to know, ( what plugin ) that caused to stop sonar working, so we could disable or maybe delete
those faulty plugins from our system.  

post edited by Soundblend - 2016/04/01 17:14:42

5 Replies Related Threads

paradoxx@optonline.net
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: Request : Program within sonar that ( exposes faulty plugins ). 2016/04/01 19:58:31 (permalink)
    I had a similar experience with an older version (Probably 8 or X1), the Cakewalk team couldn't help me out, but our network guy traced it to bit bridge crashing!
    Notecrusher
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: Request : Program within sonar that ( exposes faulty plugins ). 2016/04/01 21:23:12 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    This is called "plugin sand boxing", and is supported by several other DAW's. I believe there is an open thread for this FR.
    elegentdrum
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Request : Program within sonar that ( exposes faulty plugins ). 2016/04/02 00:48:58 (permalink)
    +1
    I would love to know what plugs to stay away from to preserve the stability of Sonar. In general that only thing I know right now is to avoid waves when using bluecat. The waves stuff targeted pro tools AAX not VST and was ported to VST later. I actually have a waves plug working with no problems. This is more of a general thing from other forums and from what I perceive in general. So take it with a grain of salt.
    I also remember that Ozone and waves don't place nice with each other in some cases.

One detail I'm very confused on is 32 bit and J bridge. When I put my system together I used J bridge for 32 bit lexicon PCM. I'm using a very old version of PCM that sounds wonderful and don't want to change it. Since upgrading to plat from X1.2.3 I have not run it through it's passes, but I wonder if Jbridge should be removed because that function is now embedded within Sonar.

In general I could see resulting families of work together plugs. Say pick waves or Bluecat and Ozone and stuff like that. Once you throw in other "hosts" like blucat patchworks, how does that change the picture of compatability.
    Soundblend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re: Request : Program within sonar that ( exposes faulty plugins ). 2016/04/02 04:52:09 (permalink)
    Bitwig Studio Beta video - VST support and plugin crash protection. ( Video from 2012 ) :

EDIT:This is not a promotion for this DAW or others, But just to pinpoint my " Request " in the first post.

post edited by Soundblend - 2016/04/02 05:15:59
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Request : Program within sonar that ( exposes faulty plugins ). 2016/04/02 05:00:43 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Noel's most recent comments about this subject http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3373711
    The rest of his comments in the thread might also be of interest.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1