Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
2011/08/24 05:10:31 (permalink)

"Rides Again" (Rock)

"Rides Again" (Rock)

Hi, Folks,

Back in cold, windy, snowy March when I bought my new PRS guitar, I tried recording some test tracks in Sonar to see what it would sound like.  Although I've posted a few songs since then, while I was cleaning up my hard drive last week, I found this forgotten test song consisting of only two very basic rhythm guitar tracks, bass, drums and a scratch lead vocal.  So, it was just sitting unnoticed for months, and I decided to try to clean it up a bit, and add a guitar solo, a tiny clean guitar fill, and some BGVs, and here's how it ended up.

Please give it a listen if you can, and let me know what you think.  As always, any and all helpful comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, input and ideas are welcome, and also greatly appreciated!

"Rides Again"

128kbps MP3 on SoundClick at: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10984531

or...

Slightly Better Quality MP3, First Song on the Player at: www.BobOister.com

Many t
hanks in advance for your opinions, suggestions, comments and ideas!

Bob

42 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/24 06:50:55 (permalink)
    Hi Bob, this one rocks as ever. Guitars sound very nice, that clean guitar fill is very nice, didn't know  you did clean guitar . Singing is great, you've got a great rock voice. If you don't mind some criticism from someone how can't sing his way out of a paper bag, in the chorus where you sing the words gone,bend and light, there's a strange effect, a bit of a wobble if you know what I mean. Great job for a test.

Rik
    post edited by morenoise - 2011/08/24 09:41:48
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/24 07:12:11 (permalink)
    Awesome as usual, Bob!

String Jammer
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/24 16:25:32 (permalink)
    Terrific sounding drums, and the bass works with them well. You forgot about this song? Brother, it rocks! As usual, your guitar tones are great, I'd like to rip you off for my next tune. Really solid mix, everything is right where it should be. Love the phrasing on the lead guitar solo. Excellent work.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/25 00:08:55 (permalink)
    Hi Bob,

Great song. The mix sounds great too. I like how the kick has plenty of bass but is crispy at the same time and I really like the background harmonies, they make the song imo.

Bub

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    SeriousNoize
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/25 00:29:19 (permalink)
    LOVE THIS TUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best you've ever done IMO!!!!! The AURA is riding all around this tune, you can't teach that kind of stuff. Heck I don't have it but this tune and your performance and recording does. Nothing but kudos on this tune! Keep on Rocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    stillnotbanned
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/25 00:40:03 (permalink)
    Bob, your stuff continues to be impressive

This is another hit. 

I would like to hear more "power" in this tune? Because that's what your music is all about? 

It started out that way? But I expect your songs to "kick my ass?" 

And this one failed to do so.

Robby.
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/25 07:09:05 (permalink)

Hi there Bob

It's a good job you stumbled across the WIP mate, it would have been such a pity if you hadn't worked it up into a full song!

I love it, and the creamy tone in the palm-muted rhythm guitars is perfection.

Great stuff brother

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/25 07:59:21 (permalink)
    Hey brudda Bob!..hope your well...really enjoyed this tune! Loved the when the bass kicked in. I was grinning even before I hit the "start" button and for good reason...this is a coool-arse tune!! Great share!
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/25 11:14:10 (permalink)
    Cool song, Bob.   Those little lead phrases on the guitar in the second verse are very tasty.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/25 14:06:20 (permalink)
    As usual, great singing and sound writing!  Great sounding crunch guitars and a very hot solo.  Something happen around 3:06, the song does not transition smoothly. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    chasmcg
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/25 18:58:59 (permalink)
    Bob, sounded great. Singing is really good.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/26 05:47:22 (permalink)
    was trying to think what this reminded me of...i guess vintage Priest, but there's something else too! awesome guitar tone to this one Bob, i too love that little clean fill. in the chorus some of the harmony vox sound a little strange, almost kinda out of key...but not quite. the solo is a little hot in relation to the rest of the instrumentation. otherwise another storming modern rock tune!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/27 13:04:13 (permalink)
    Hi Bob,

So, you just forgot about this one? Good thing you came across it 'cause it's a cool song.

Killer guitar tone and an excellent vocal, too.

Nice little guitar part during the 2nd verse.

Great work on this, Bob.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/27 13:32:35 (permalink)
    some of the harmony vox sound a little strange

I noticed that too, at around 1:10 

You do a really good job with everything. Really good! Thanks for sharing!

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/27 20:46:15 (permalink)
    morenoise:

Hi, Rik,

Thank you, kind sir, for the listen, and also for your encouraging comments!

Yep, sometimes I like to sneak in some clean guitar parts for a little contrast to the crunchy stuff.

I think what you're hearing on the vocals might be the result of me being physically exhausted at 4:00am when I recorded the background vocals.  Over the years, I've found out that sometimes when I'm extremely tired and I sing, I can get a little sloppy with unwanted vibrato.  I'm going to see if I can touch up the vibrato on the harmonies with a bit of creative editing and eq.  Hopefully, I'll be able to make it less noticeable, if not, I'll try some vocal punch-ins to fix them up.

Thanks again, my friend, I really appreciate your input.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scottytunes:

Hey, Scott,

Thanks, buddy, I always appreciate your input and friendship!  Thanks for the listen and the kind words.

Have a good one!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/27 20:56:59 (permalink)
    mcourter:

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for giving this a listen, and for your gracious comments!

Yep, I actually completely forgot about this because it really started out as just a guitar sound test.  I had only added a couple scratch tracks to try to get an idea what the new guitar would sound like in the context of a real mix.  I have three spiral notebooks that I use as "studio logs" to jot down basic info about song projects such as, record dates and times, instruments used, amp settings, effects, etc., and I never even entered this one into the logs.

I was doing some hard drive cleanup and backing up to my external drives when I happened to find it under project name "PRS Test 1".  I opened it up and saw that I had actually recorded two verses and choruses on five tracks, and decided to add to it keeping everything including the scratch lead vox.  I just figured, "in for a penny, in for a pound", and tried to make something out of what was already there.  I'm kind of glad that I spotted it and opened it up to see what was inside!

Thanks again for checking it out and for your kind words, have a good one, Mark!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bub:

Hey, Bub,

How are you, buddy? Doing great, I hope!

Thanks so much for checking this one out for me and for your encouraging comments.  Yeah, I recorded the background harmonies over the scratch lead vocal track at around four in the morning, and that's when I decided that the test song was probably worth adding to and finishing.  I guess it worked out as a good way to make a little something out of nothing, and it seems to have turned out okay.

By the way, you did an absolutely amazing job on your recent remake of "I Only Have Eyes For You".  That was truly some great stuff, my friend!

Thanks again for your input, it's much appreciated. Have a great weekend!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/27 22:18:06 (permalink)
    Great again Bob. Drums didn't do it for me in this one. It's aching for someone bashing the skins. Kick snare felt naked in the intro and just generally stiff with a few timing anomalies throughout. Bass flub in there somewhere? Everything else is wonderful.

Ed Edge

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/27 22:50:36 (permalink)
    Nice, tight as tight can get rocker Bob. here aew my nits though:) It was so tight that to me it lost it's crunch. But then, Badfinger was like that and it worked so what do I know. From reading above, it appears you actually sang the harmonies. I thought it was a plug in. Impeccable. The wideness of the guitars really bothered me. Sounded like they were on different planets. Really took my head away from the tune. Maybe it's just my feed or something as no one else mentioned it. All that negativity aside, great work, especially for a WIP.. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/28 08:09:26 (permalink)
    Bob,

I'm always impressed with the quality of your productions. This is another supreme hit.
    Damn, i love your vocals.

The guitar at 3:10 is magnificent too.

Why haven't you been signed yet? the mind boggles.

Awesome tune!

Mark.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/28 10:27:48 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, great stuff Bob! That's an epic chorus, huge hook. I like that whisper track on the verses, bit of a nod to The Doors there? Excellent track, love it.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/28 14:56:52 (permalink)
    Hi Bob!

I love seeing "Bob Oister" in the song forum. It means things are still right in the world, LOL! Your sound is really getting sharper and crisper. I bet your gear has been getting sharper as your mixing skills do the same. Nice work on this one - David Lee Roth's vocal double does it again!

Matt
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/28 15:26:30 (permalink)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/29 16:37:07 (permalink)
    SeriousNoize:

Hi, Bobby,

Thanks for checking this out for me, and for your kind words.  I appreciate you giving it a listen and commenting.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stillnotbanned:

Hey, Robby,

How's it going, buddy?  Great, I hope!

Thanks for giving this a listen and for your kind comments and input.

Yeah, this ended up being a little bit different for me because it didn't really start out to be a song, just a few rhythm guitar tracks as a guitar soundcheck.  So, I just decided to try to fill in the gaps like a "connect the dots" puzzle, and this is how it ended up.  I figured the base tracks were already there, so I'd just flip a coin and see what happened.

Sorry this one didn't "blow yer skirt up", but as always, I greatly appreciate your input and opinion, and value it highly.

Have a good one, buddy!
    Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/29 16:51:58 (permalink)
    Bob, your tunes always make me smile.

That bass guitar is killer.

Your harmonies are spot on.

Fabulous.
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/29 19:31:50 (permalink)
    Great tune Bob!  Love the vocalsl.  The bass tone is killer!  Great chugging guitar and very nice touch with the clean guitar.  A great lead.  This one rocks!  This could easily separate a couple of real hooky type tunes to get a little breather before the next wave of Oister guitars hits the ears!!  Fun stuff man, love it as usual.
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/30 05:33:06 (permalink)
    SteveStrummerUK:

Hey, Steve,

How are things, buddy?  I hope you're treating Ruby well and giving her a good workout, she's a real beauty!

Thanks for checking out "Rides Again" also affectionately known as "The Song That Time Forgot", (or at least I did).   Yep, I was doing some backing up and hard drive cleanup in anticipation of finally starting the long nightmare of setting up my new DAW, that's been sitting here for weeks now.  You know the drill, re-installing everythiing, re-authorizing plugins, transferring project files, etc.  So, there it was, and I said what the heck, let's make a mud pie out of a puddle, and this is the end result.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, friendship and support, I greatly appreciate it.

Have a great week, my friend!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thepogue:

Hey, Tom,

How are things, bro?  Hope all is well after Irene in your neck of the woods!  About 80,000 homes still without power up here in Northeast PA, but luckily, our lights never even blinked, which is a very good thing.

Thanks very much for giving this a listen, and also your very kind words!  I really appreciate and value your input highly.

By the way, your latest new DT post, "Turn for the Worse" is truly a power packed, classy gem, full of dynamite work by the three of you great musicians!

Thanks again for checking in on this one for me, I always respect and appreciate your opinion, buddy.  Have a good one!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/30 17:50:44 (permalink)
    No How:

Hi, Rick,

Thank you sir, for checking this song out for me, and for your very kind words!

Yes, I thought adding that tiny little clean guitar part might add just a small element of contrast to keep things interesting, and break up the repetitiveness of the rhythm guitars.  I'm really glad that you liked it.

Thanks again for listening and commenting, I really appreciate your time and observations!
    Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vechung:

Hi, Vicente,

Thanks for giving this a listen, and also for your encouraging words!

I actually intentionally dropped one beat from the drums during the break at around 3:06 to create just a little bit of tension before the first sustained note of the guitar solo.  I did it to try to exaggerate the contrast in dynamics before the solo for sort of a "startling" effect when the solo kicked in.

By the way, you did an excellent job on your latest song post, "Summer of 67", fantastic song, really well done, my friend!

Thank you so much for checking this out and for your input, I really greatly appreciate it!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/08/31 22:43:53 (permalink)
    Listening on my lappy-juke and this sounds so pro, astonishing, clean, etc.  What a blast of fresh air this is!  (in way of inspiration)

Mix and song are 10/10 on so many levels; easily my fav of yours to date.  This has a wider (pop) audience appeal then your former excellent mixes.  I'm extremely honored to rock with this.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Rides Again" (Rock) 2011/09/01 07:55:11 (permalink)
    Nice job... as always.   I'm guessing if you had one of those el-cheapo $49.95 guitars they sell in the big box stores..complete with an amp... you could make it sound good.... 

Yeah this rocks in classic Oister style.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1