Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 02

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Black_Haus
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 21:41:23 (permalink)
Great stuff!  Nice melodic licks throughout with some outside the box thrown in here & there for good measure.  This is an instrumental I can listen to over & over.  Nice job!  Those melodic  licks are almost like a vocal line played on the guitar.

Nice thick tone too!
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/25 03:16:04 (permalink)
Hey, Mark,

It's great to hear that your recovering well from your surgery!

This song is pure dynamite!  Spectacular playing, tasty licks, and the tone of the PRS is outstanding.  (I just bought a new PRS last Friday night, and I'm lovin' it!)

Excellent job on this song, have a good one!
Bob
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/25 07:25:41 (permalink)
When I first got back into guitar plying three years ago, my buddy loaned me his $3k PRS for a few months. And ever since I returned it to him, I have been trying to get that sound with cheaper guitars. Not possible!

Terrific playing, Mark!  I think what Warren is saying about the bass is it needs more bite on the bottom end. Instead of raising the volume, can you just boost the <120hz portion? That should do it.
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/25 10:19:44 (permalink)
Black_Haus

Great stuff!  Nice melodic licks throughout with some outside the box thrown in here & there for good measure.  This is an instrumental I can listen to over & over.  Nice job!  Those melodic  licks are almost like a vocal line played on the guitar.

Nice thick tone too!

Thanks, as per the out of box stuff - I always seem to gravitate towards my go-to licks, so to prevent that and keep it fresh I always force myself to do something a bit different each time.

Bob Oister

Hey, Mark,

It's great to hear that your recovering well from your surgery!

This song is pure dynamite!  Spectacular playing, tasty licks, and the tone of the PRS is outstanding.  (I just bought a new PRS last Friday night, and I'm lovin' it!)

Excellent job on this song, have a good one!
Bob

Good to see you Bob.  Thanks for the comments.  Mine is a '91 CE-24 I picked up on e-bay.  What PRS did you get?

jamesyoyo

When I first got back into guitar plying three years ago, my buddy loaned me his $3k PRS for a few months. And ever since I returned it to him, I have been trying to get that sound with cheaper guitars. Not possible!

Terrific playing, Mark!  I think what Warren is saying about the bass is it needs more bite on the bottom end. Instead of raising the volume, can you just boost the <120hz portion? That should do it.

James, thanks for listening.  I'll try boosting there and see what happens.  Appreciate the input.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
ebabes13
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 01 2011/02/25 11:15:49 (permalink)
very nice... cool melody ...nice groove ...pretty guitar

i5 audio pc by studiocat--SONAR X1-delta 1010--akg 414's-lots of shure mics--carvin guitars and amps--THD amps--fmr preamps and compressors--anything else i can get my hands on
-------------------
just an old hippie
-------------------
who are the Antique Zephyrs?
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/25 17:23:09 (permalink)
Yeah that tone is a lot more "in your face" than your usual - I liked it!! Classic Wessels harmony leads - sounds great!!! Great arrangement and nice balanced mix! Playing wasn't too shabby either.

There are some cymbal issues where it seems like they end unnaturally (ie: around 1:31 - seems like it should ring out / sustain but it get choked?) That the only thing I didn't love.
post edited by dlogan - 2011/02/25 17:24:39
marcos69
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 01 2011/02/25 18:37:45 (permalink)
ebabes13

very nice... cool melody ...nice groove ...pretty guitar

Thanks ebabes13

dlogan

Yeah that tone is a lot more "in your face" than your usual - I liked it!! Classic Wessels harmony leads - sounds great!!! Great arrangement and nice balanced mix! Playing wasn't too shabby either.

There are some cymbal issues where it seems like they end unnaturally (ie: around 1:31 - seems like it should ring out / sustain but it get choked?) That the only thing I didn't love.

Thanks Dave.  I'll look into that cymbal situation you describe.  I don't have much high frequency hearing left.  I'm probably missing more than those cymbals.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
morenoise
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 01 2011/02/26 10:43:41 (permalink)
Hi Mark , great job on keeping this instrumental interesting till the end. That PRS sounds very smooth in the high end, really nice sustain. There are some serious chops on show here but nothing over the top, very tasteful. Very nice to listen to those harmonized leads on headphones.

Greetings, Rik 
alkie
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2706
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/26 16:56:10 (permalink)
MARK ....this is EXCELLENT loved every second of it.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
because he knows the time is short.....
let him who hath understanding.....
reckon the number of the beast.....
for it is a human number...
it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
CLEAN
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/26 17:34:37 (permalink)
Mark, you are just a great player - nothing else to say.

THE PUGTONES
Mark
Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/26 18:29:51 (permalink)
I like this mix more gooder for sure! Nice guitar and nice amp! I see that two heads are better than one.

String Jammer
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/26 21:21:15 (permalink)
Not much to add here.

Great intro, and even better guitar playing.   Agreed that the tone on the guitars was awesome.

Mix wise, I don't think I could critisize.  If I heard it on the radio it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

giankap
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/26 22:40:10 (permalink)
wow! amazing guitar playing! mixwise I think everything is placed where it's supposed to be!

great expression with the guitar!

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
marcos69
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 01 2011/02/27 14:37:45 (permalink)
morenoise

Hi Mark , great job on keeping this instrumental interesting till the end. That PRS sounds very smooth in the high end, really nice sustain. There are some serious chops on show here but nothing over the top, very tasteful. Very nice to listen to those harmonized leads on headphones.

Greetings, Rik 

Rik, thanks for the comments.

alkie

MARK ....this is EXCELLENT loved every second of it.

alkie, thanks for listening.  I'm glad you like it.

CLEAN

Mark, you are just a great player - nothing else to say.

Very nice thing for you to say.  Thanks.

Scottytunes

I like this mix more gooder for sure! Nice guitar and nice amp! I see that two heads are better than one.

Scott, thanks.  I never use all my heads at one time

Kroneborge

Not much to add here.

Great intro, and even better guitar playing.   Agreed that the tone on the guitars was awesome.

Mix wise, I don't think I could critisize.  If I heard it on the radio it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Mathew, thanks for listening.  I appreciate the comments.

giankap

wow! amazing guitar playing! mixwise I think everything is placed where it's supposed to be!

great expression with the guitar!

Ioannis,  I appreciate your comments.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 01 2011/02/27 14:47:37 (permalink)
Not only is this a kick ass song! It's so well played too. Thanks for sharing this.

I agree on the cymbal. It's a little... er, too much? but I have to admit I didn't notice until I saw it mentioned. The songs is amazing and your playing is fantastic. I love it!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/27 20:30:18 (permalink)
When I heard a synth in the intro, I looked to see if I had your song, but then the guitars kicked in. The way the song is constructed reminds me of Joe Satriani, and the manner in which your guitar melody could just as easily be a vocal melody. In something other than words you manage to tell a story. And you do it with some superlative, inventive guitar olaying. Great arrangement, great picking. Bass and drum tracks work well together, and it's a well balanced mix. It seems you've touched all the basses, hermano. Top notch work, Mark.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/27 20:54:44 (permalink)
Mark, that PRS has a killer tone. Very nice tune, you've got some great chops! The leads were executed with such precision and the harmonies sing out well. Great job!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2193
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 02 2011/02/28 01:35:15 (permalink)

The "parts" that the guitars and bass are doing sound nice. The "creamy" guitar tone and the melodic
type of bass playing is great. awesome Mark! (sounds like James's 120 HZ suggestion really inhanced
the bass).
marcos69
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 01 2011/02/28 18:24:20 (permalink)
ProjectM

Not only is this a kick ass song! It's so well played too. Thanks for sharing this.

I agree on the cymbal. It's a little... er, too much? but I have to admit I didn't notice until I saw it mentioned. The songs is amazing and your playing is fantastic. I love it!

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated.  I can't really hear the cymbal issue.  I'll go back and look at it again.

mcourter

When I heard a synth in the intro, I looked to see if I had your song, but then the guitars kicked in. The way the song is constructed reminds me of Joe Satriani, and the manner in which your guitar melody could just as easily be a vocal melody. In something other than words you manage to tell a story. And you do it with some superlative, inventive guitar olaying. Great arrangement, great picking. Bass and drum tracks work well together, and it's a well balanced mix. It seems you've touched all the basses, hermano. Top notch work, Mark.

Hey Mark, great to see you again.  I'm glad you like the song.

Tap

Mark, that PRS has a killer tone. Very nice tune, you've got some great chops! The leads were executed with such precision and the harmonies sing out well. Great job!

Thanks for listening.  I'm liking that PRS too!

jimmyman

The "parts" that the guitars and bass are doing sound nice. The "creamy" guitar tone and the melodic
type of bass playing is great. awesome Mark! (sounds like James's 120 HZ suggestion really inhanced
the bass).

Jimmy, great to see you.  Yes, James's tip for the bass seemed to be the ticket.  That's what is great about this forum.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
I/O
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 01 2011/02/28 19:14:38 (permalink)
Really nice tune Mark!  Great flow, harmonies and playing .  I really enjoyed that.
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/28 19:16:59 (permalink)
Wonderful playing Mark reall great tones too...
I have only one mix crit... it's no big deal, but to me the HiHat sounds disconnected from the rest of the kit... I hear it panned too far left of the kick... sounds fine, but maybe not very natural...
Gret tune Mark... 
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/28 20:24:26 (permalink)
Mark,
  Well dang,  that is some mighty fine guitar work there.  Mighty fine indeed.  I think overall it is the tightest song I've heard from you to date.  Great sounding mix on my system.  The playing, while definitely chocked full of your little signature stuff, is channeling a serious Satriani vibe.  I really like the change you took at 3:00 ish and the cool rideout.   All around a great tune, lots of great tones and a real groover.  Nice work Mark.  Glad to hear you back and sounding great.  Have fun with that PRS!
marcos69
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 01 2011/03/01 11:13:06 (permalink)
I/O

Really nice tune Mark!  Great flow, harmonies and playing .  I really enjoyed that.

Thanks I/O

notnat

Wonderful playing Mark reall great tones too...
I have only one mix crit... it's no big deal, but to me the HiHat sounds disconnected from the rest of the kit... I hear it panned too far left of the kick... sounds fine, but maybe not very natural...
Gret tune Mark... 

Hi Frank.  The drums are loops so I'm kinda stuck with the hh panning. 

CreatingNoise

Mark,
  Well dang,  that is some mighty fine guitar work there.  Mighty fine indeed.  I think overall it is the tightest song I've heard from you to date.  Great sounding mix on my system.  The playing, while definitely chocked full of your little signature stuff, is channeling a serious Satriani vibe.  I really like the change you took at 3:00 ish and the cool rideout.   All around a great tune, lots of great tones and a real groover.  Nice work Mark.  Glad to hear you back and sounding great.  Have fun with that PRS!

Hi Tony.  Good to see you.  Thanks for the comments.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
bayoubill
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/03/01 11:23:48 (permalink)
WOW!

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

marcos69
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/03/01 12:29:04 (permalink)
bayoubill

WOW!

THANKS!

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/03/01 18:10:39 (permalink)
Synths ... a intro sweet intro touch ... guitars are phenomenal in this classic rock ... its hard not to fall in love with all that guitar majesty singing together.

No negs on 1st listen.

This should hold its own for years to come, methinks.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
marcos69
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/03/02 11:11:57 (permalink)
Philip

Synths ... a intro sweet intro touch ... guitars are phenomenal in this classic rock ... its hard not to fall in love with all that guitar majesty singing together.

No negs on 1st listen.

This should hold its own for years to come, methinks.

Thank you Philip.  I appreciate the listen.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/03/04 12:00:11 (permalink)
Excellent Mark! That PRS sounds great!

Those runs on the outro sounded good.

I know we all have our 'styles', but I know that a new axe is always inspirational and just opens those creative doors.

Is that you on drums as well?

Good song!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
marcos69
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/03/04 12:32:55 (permalink)
Thanks Larry, good to see you again.

No, the drums are loops.  I had to put off my drum lessons until the back surgery was over.  I hope to get back on them soon.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/03/04 12:38:52 (permalink)
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1