Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 02

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
2011/02/23 21:52:58 (permalink)

Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" new mix 02

It's been a while since I've posted a song here.  This song was mostly fleshed out several months ago, I just added the leads and did the mix this week.

This is also my first recording with the PRS guitar I purchased a few months back.  I'm very pleased with it's tone and playing performance.

Comments welcome.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10317990

Edit 01:  New mix uploaded.  I increased the bass volume, reduced tinnyness on acoustic guitars, adjusted volume on leads per suggestions.  I increased length of intro just cause I wanted it a bit longer.

Edit 02:  New mix uploaded 2-27-11.  Increased bass at 120hz per Jamesyoyo suggestion.
post edited by marcos69 - 2011/02/27 14:28:51

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick

66 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 22:14:24 (permalink)
    Mark,

As usual, stellar guitar playing.

Great mix.

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 22:20:31 (permalink)
    That's COOL!!!!  Sweet intro.  Wow. 

Great playing and great mix too.  Loved it!!

Glad you're feeling good enough to do this. :-)
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 22:24:29 (permalink)
    Very cool indeed! Do I hear some Bat influence in your twin guitar sound? Either way, great playing and nice mix!

String Jammer
    RockingChair
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 22:33:38 (permalink)
    marcos69

It's been a while since I've posted a song here.  This song was mostly fleshed out several months ago, I just added the leads and did the mix this week.

This is also my first recording with the PRS guitar I purchased a few months back.  I'm very pleased with it's tone and playing performance.

Comments welcome.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10317990

I clicked and it made me Jealous, I should sue you for not adding a WARNING THIS MIGHT SOUND AWESOME SIGN in your post!

Seriously speaking, I loved it, that was AWESOME!!!!! I enjoyed hearing it all. You had this sound where it sounded like you were laid back while kicking some serious ARSE on the guitar!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Bobby

marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 22:57:38 (permalink)
    bapu

Mark,

As usual, stellar guitar playing.

Great mix.

Thanks Ed.  I'm pleased with how the bass came out in the mix.  I know you would tell me if it didn't sound good too.  Your silence on that matter is golden.

Janet

That's COOL!!!!  Sweet intro.  Wow. 

Great playing and great mix too.  Loved it!!

Glad you're feeling good enough to do this. :-)

Thanks Janet.  I'm feeling so much better now.  It was about 4 months since I really played.  This was great therapy for me.

Scottytunes

Very cool indeed! Do I hear some Bat influence in your twin guitar sound? Either way, great playing and nice mix!

Thanks Scotty.  The twin guitar part on the bridge I wrote about 30 years ago and never used in a song.  I was trying to think of something for the bridge and that old double lead part popped into my head after all these years.  Worked out ok.

RockingChair

I clicked and it made me Jealous, I should sue you for not adding a WARNING THIS MIGHT SOUND AWESOME SIGN in your post!

Seriously speaking, I loved it, that was AWESOME!!!!! I enjoyed hearing it all. You had this sound where it sounded like you were laid back while kicking some serious ARSE on the guitar!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Bobby

Thanks Bobby.  I really appreciate it.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 22:59:56 (permalink)
    "I'm feeling so much better now."

Super!  That's great to hear!!
    marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 23:25:35 (permalink)
    Janet

"I'm feeling so much better now."

Super!  That's great to hear!!

Thanks.  It was back to work this week.  Amazing how much better I can focus without needing a handful of pain meds anymore.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 23:35:03 (permalink)
    Great tune! I like instrumentals like this. Mix sounds fine too. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Bub.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 23:38:19 (permalink)
    Really nice song, mix is great.  Like the guitar harmonies, melody, everything is quite nicely done.  Outstanding work.  
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 23:43:02 (permalink)
    Great playing, Mark.  It's a very full guitar arrangement.  Of course, I would like to hear a bit more bass but that's a given.  It seems a little far back or something.  That could just be me.  Overall, your melodies are awesome.  PRS is a great fiddle, huh?  It helps when you know how to use it the way you do.  More pronounced bass, please.  :-)

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 23:47:41 (permalink)
    Bub

Great tune! I like instrumentals like this. Mix sounds fine too. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Bub.

Thanks Bub.  Instrumentals are my bread and butter.  Non-singers usually make great instrumentalists.

markno999

Really nice song, mix is great.  Like the guitar harmonies, melody, everything is quite nicely done.  Outstanding work.

Thanks Mark.  This PRS is a dream to play.  Definitely a keeper.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 23:49:15 (permalink)
     Masterful playing, great sounding mix and background. Really enjoyed

Me

marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/23 23:51:15 (permalink)
    evadianepug

Great playing, Mark.  It's a very full guitar arrangement.  Of course, I would like to hear a bit more bass but that's a given.  It seems a little far back or something.  That could just be me.  Overall, your melodies are awesome.  PRS is a great fiddle, huh?  It helps when you know how to use it the way you do.  More pronounced bass, please.  :-)

Thanks Warren.  Yes the PRS sings.  It's just the guitar plugged into a Marshall amp with a bit of polishing in Sonar.
    Tell me what you mean by more pronounced bass.  Louder?  Or do I need an eq adjustment somewhere? 

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 00:01:46 (permalink)
    ohgrant

Masterful playing, great sounding mix and background. Really enjoyed

Thanks for the comment Grant.  Glad you enjoyed.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 00:17:12 (permalink)
    Well, I am not the mix guy so much but I would say it doesn't bite enough.  It could be too compressed or something I can't explain because I don't use that stuff.  CLEAN does. :-).  I would say bring the volume up on the bass and start there.  You know this song is really good.  After I left for a few minutes it was still in my mind and that's a good thing.   I am listening again and think that maybe a little more volume on the bass.  Not much.  Wierd, I heard it better this time through but I still might try a bit more.  The bass and the drums are all this song needs for a bottom with those wild guitars. Those two things should be very present, imho.  Remember, I rarely comment on mixes because I'm not a real mix guy so take it with a grain of salt.   Great tune, buddy. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 00:20:49 (permalink)
    evadianepug

Well, I am not the mix guy so much but I would say it doesn't bite enough.  It could be too compressed or something I can't explain because I don't use that stuff.  CLEAN does. :-).  I would say bring the volume up on the bass and start there.  You know this song is really good.  After I left for a few minutes it was still in my mind and that's a good thing.   I am listening again and think that maybe a little more volume on the bass.  Not much.  Wierd, I heard it better this time through but I still might try a bit more.  The bass and the drums are all this song needs for a bottom with those wild guitars. Those two things should be very present, imho.  Remember, I rarely comment on mixes because I'm not a real mix guy so take it with a grain of salt.   Great tune, buddy. 

Ok, thanks Warren.  I'll try some adjustments tomorrow.  This time of night I get fried ears.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Ben J Hayes
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 04:42:23 (permalink)
    Excellent top playing and tone!
    I really like the composition and harmony parts (you can't beat harmony guitars!)

what amp was this through Mark?
    marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 08:22:14 (permalink)
    Ben J Hayes

Excellent top playing and tone!
    I really like the composition and harmony parts (you can't beat harmony guitars!)

what amp was this through Mark?

Thanks Ben.  This was through my Marshall JCM900 50 watt head and 1960-A cab miked with an SM-58. 

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 08:27:00 (permalink)
    very nice...love the duel leads...I think that goes back to me Thin Lizzy days...

man what a "bite" this has...very very meaty...love that 2:53 interlude

great work bub!
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 13:05:35 (permalink)
    Probably my favourite of yours so far Mark, I really like this. That's a beautiful tone on the PRS, and it was bringing out some 'go for it' moments in your playing - wonderful stuff. Apart from the playing, this is a very well put together arrangement, that bridge/middle 8 was just spot-on. Nice mix too...got it all going on here sir!

James
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 13:16:48 (permalink)
    hmm not quite sure how i missed this. thanks to James for putting it back at the top!

awesome tone from that PRS man! some great lead riffs but in a very melodic way (not just a heads-down shred like some would...hallo me it's me again)

i liked the tune construction too. mix wise, not a huge fan of the way the acoustic sounds, it's a bit tinny and metallic for me. a little too much verb on the snare too. but a super-duper song overall.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 14:11:06 (permalink)
    A PRS!  So jealous.  Nice tone and as always excellent playing.  Great song structure.  Around 3:45 the guitar suddenly became louder.  It sounds like a punch-in recording. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 16:49:02 (permalink)
    thepogue

very nice...love the duel leads...I think that goes back to me Thin Lizzy days...

man what a "bite" this has...very very meaty...love that 2:53 interlude

great work bub!

Thanks Tom.  I think most of my duel lead influences come from Wishbone Ash, Allmann Brothers Band and Early Scorpions when Uli was the guitarist.

Slow Marching Band

Probably my favourite of yours so far Mark, I really like this. That's a beautiful tone on the PRS, and it was bringing out some 'go for it' moments in your playing - wonderful stuff. Apart from the playing, this is a very well put together arrangement, that bridge/middle 8 was just spot-on. Nice mix too...got it all going on here sir!

James

Thanks James.  As usual, great to hear from you.

mgh

hmm not quite sure how i missed this. thanks to James for putting it back at the top!

awesome tone from that PRS man! some great lead riffs but in a very melodic way (not just a heads-down shred like some would...hallo me it's me again)

i liked the tune construction too. mix wise, not a huge fan of the way the acoustic sounds, it's a bit tinny and metallic for me. a little too much verb on the snare too. but a super-duper song overall.

Thanks Mark.  I went back and adjust the tinniness on the acoustic. I need some high end on it because I want the strumming percussive characteristics of it.  It gets lost without that, but I agree it was a bit over the top.  Thanks for the ears.

vechung

A PRS!  So jealous.  Nice tone and as always excellent playing.  Great song structure.  Around 3:45 the guitar suddenly became louder.  It sounds like a punch-in recording. 

Thanks Vicente.  You're right, that lead part was a bit too loud.  I enveloped it down and posted a new version.  All the lead segments are punched in.  That's how I write.  I have no idea what my lead is until I finish recording the part before it.  Then I'll jam over the backing track and when something starts clicking, I'll practice it up good enough to hit the record button and move on to the next part.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 16:49:16 (permalink)
    Yes PRS is a fine guitar.  It's American made too!  The are very steeped in the original Gibson tradition.  Smith was a huge fan of Kalamazoo Gibsons and learned a lot from them.

The intro is surprising as you usually go right for the hot licks, of which you have a cornicopia.

Love the chord changes and arrangement on this.  Great R&R licks as always.  Sorry I'm listening on my CWS but I have to go away tonight and I couldn't wait until tomorrow night to hear this.

We need to get together someday so I can steal some of those cool passage you do.  I have stole a couple of your licks already!  I have no pride.

I don't know what price range of headphones you were looking for but I really like the latest pair I bought.  Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for $160.  Much better mixing phones than my Sennheisers.  Of course you can pay whatever you want.  I would love to try some $400 cans sometime.

Great tune man.  But then I like all guitar music   Love the intro!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 16:57:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Daryl.  I'm very happy with the PRS.  It really plays nice.  When you pick it up you know you've got something special going on.

Steal all the licks you like.  That's how I get some of them.

The intro was a last minute decision.  It was just too abrupt.  Since the title of the song is about a mythological eagle I thought something floaty/flighty would be a nice intro so I fired up the synth and played a counterpoint of the melody over the drum beat so it would mesh well when the song kicked in, then ditched the drum beat under it.
    post edited by marcos69 - 2011/02/24 16:58:46

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 16:59:39 (permalink)
    Very nicely done - I might be inclined to have a little less reverb in the snare - picky I know, but you've not left room for any other crits ;)
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 17:14:02 (permalink)
    yea, great guitar tone and playing,good job.the intro burst was delightful.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 17:43:58 (permalink)
    Brilliantly played, Mark, and what sweet tone on that axe... MAN!  Nice solid mix too so far as my old ears could tell.  Good to have you back, and it certainly SOUNDS like you're feeling better.
    marcos69
    Re:Rock Guitar Instrumental - "Wings of Aquila" 2011/02/24 21:32:08 (permalink)
    paulo

Very nicely done - I might be inclined to have a little less reverb in the snare - picky I know, but you've not left room for any other crits ;)

Thanks paulo, I appreciate your comments.

whack

yea, great guitar tone and playing,good job.the intro burst was delightful.

Cian

Thanks Cian.  I rarely use intros, but I think I'll do more of it.

philz

Brilliantly played, Mark, and what sweet tone on that axe... MAN!  Nice solid mix too so far as my old ears could tell.  Good to have you back, and it certainly SOUNDS like you're feeling better.

Thanks Phil.  It feels great to be playing again.  My recovery is moving along better than expected.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1