Helpful ReplySONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
btsabq
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/04 11:17:06 (permalink)
Should I hold-off on the update if I use UAD plugins?

* UAD-2, Slate Mix & Master Suite, MJUC, Disto, RC24, Valhalla, etc.
* MOTU 828MKII Black Lion Mod
* SPlat 64bit
* Benchmark DAC-1
* Mackie HR824

tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/04 22:41:03 (permalink)

btsabq
Should I hold-off on the update if I use UAD plugins?

Load balancing is an option under preferences. Just don't activate it if you are using UAD plugins. Lots of goodies in this update. No point missing out on all of the fun:)
post edited by tenfoot - 2016/10/04 23:03:04

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/05 07:11:02 (permalink)
We will be releasing an update that automatically skips load balancing if UAD plugins are detected.
However in our test we didn't see any obvious error message with UAD. Can you repro that in a simple project with just 2 or 3 UAD plugins in a track? Also please indicate the specific error message and which plugins throw the error.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
baberufus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/05 11:14:23 (permalink)
I've been getting that UAD message along with "Your UAD authorization is outdated" or something to that extent for over a year. Usually it goes away for a couple of months or so after I update the UAD software, but those messages never have seemed to interfere with Sonar's performance, so I've just ignored them.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/05 11:49:42 (permalink)
i'll ask again, is there any way us users can know in advance which plugins do, or don't, support the load balancing stuff?

just a sec

btsabq
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/05 12:05:04 (permalink)
I upgraded this morning and I'm not having any new issues with UAD plugins and the update seems to perform great on my system with lots of UAD plugins loaded.  And when I say new issues...usually when I add a UAD plugin to a track or buss, a message about the audio engine has stopped pops up, but I just go on from there.  But this has been happening for a while now.

* UAD-2, Slate Mix & Master Suite, MJUC, Disto, RC24, Valhalla, etc.
* MOTU 828MKII Black Lion Mod
* SPlat 64bit
* Benchmark DAC-1
* Mackie HR824

apbradbury
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/05 22:13:02 (permalink)
Updated Sonar and followed the suggestions in the problem report. Everything seems to be working fine now. Appreciate the help!
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/05 22:59:11 (permalink)
For the full screen mode, I think we need an updated option for win 10 users that run extended desktop mode and place the multi dock on the 2nd monitor. The track view extends to both monitors and the multi dock sits on top of it on the second monitor. This means scrolling of the trackview goes underneath the multi dock. It also means scrolling up and down of the 1st monitor view is handled at the far right of the 2nd monitor.

This is poor design for those that use extended displays and place the multidock on the second monitor. I think a second full screen option is needed to accommodate this very common setup.
StephanKim
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/06 05:35:52 (permalink)

However in our test we didn't see any obvious error message with UAD. Can you repro that in a simple project with just 2 or 3 UAD plugins in a track? Also please indicate the specific error message and which plugins throw the error.

in my experience,
UAD errors pop up

when I drag copy plug-in(non-UAD) into another track which is loaded UAD.
when I drag copy UAD plug-in into another track which is loaded non-UAD plug-in.
when do nothing (during mixing, rest few minute. many plug-ins loaded)

Pop up messages which I experienced.
UAD sample rate error
UAD disabled error (communication non response)
I do work one mixing project after install new update.
After I found this issue, I turned off plug-in load balancing.
There is no issue but cpu performance is very unbalanced haha.
I turned Plug-in Balancing function on now for testing, Error message pop up again in few sec.

ScreenShot

post edited by StephanKim - 2016/10/06 06:23:44

since Cakewalk DOS_3.0
So many my great hit songs with SONAR

System Baisics
HP Z workstation Dual Xeon
96GB Ram
Nvidia M4000
Customized Mod. RME Fireface 800 x2
Windows 10

Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/06 09:41:52 (permalink)
Brian Walton
For the full screen mode, I think we need an updated option for win 10 users that run extended desktop mode and place the multi dock on the 2nd monitor. The track view extends to both monitors and the multi dock sits on top of it on the second monitor. This means scrolling of the trackview goes underneath the multi dock. It also means scrolling up and down of the 1st monitor view is handled at the far right of the 2nd monitor.

This is poor design for those that use extended displays and place the multidock on the second monitor. I think a second full screen option is needed to accommodate this very common setup.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how you are configuring the windows.  Please clarify.
To what display mode are you referring to?  Do you mean this setting or something else?

For me, I can drag the multidock to the 2nd monitor and click full screen on the main SONAR UI with the result that it fills the 1st monitor but leaves the multidock as is.

My monitors aren't the same resolution so that's why the first one looks letterboxed by comparison.
Thanks.
post edited by Keith Albright [Cakewalk] - 2016/10/06 10:04:15

Keith
Brian Walton
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/06 11:26:48 (permalink)
Brian Walton

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how you are configuring the windows.  Please clarify.
To what display mode are you referring to?  Do you mean this setting or something else?

For me, I can drag the multidock to the 2nd monitor and click full screen on the main SONAR UI with the result that it fills the 1st monitor but leaves the multidock as is.

My monitors aren't the same resolution so that's why the first one looks letterboxed by comparison.
Thanks.

Yes, my settings are exactly the same in the windows configuration (though my monitors are exactly the same resolution - make and model).  

On my Win10 64 bit computer the track view and browser extend all the way across both monitors the second I hit Full Screen, even though I have the Track view docked on the first monitor and the Multi-doc on the 2nd monitor.  The Multidock then sits over the Track view in the 2nd monitor.  The horizontal scroll is then hidden on the 2nd monitor (but required to keep scrolling), and it places the vertical scroll to the far right of the 2nd monitor.   

It works as yours does on my Win7 computer (that I don't really use).  

When I'm back at my Home Studio computer, I could send a screen shoot if that is helpful.  
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/06 11:57:05 (permalink)
Brian Walton
Brian Walton

Thanks.

Yes, my settings are exactly the same in the windows configuration (though my monitors are exactly the same resolution - make and model).  

On my Win10 64 bit computer the track view and browser extend all the way across both monitors the second I hit Full Screen, even though I have the Track view docked on the first monitor and the Multi-doc on the 2nd monitor.  The Multidock then sits over the Track view in the 2nd monitor.  The horizontal scroll is then hidden on the 2nd monitor (but required to keep scrolling), and it places the vertical scroll to the far right of the 2nd monitor.   

When I'm back at my Home Studio computer, I could send a screen shoot if that is helpful.  

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  The thing to note is the position of the main app window before you click full screen.
Presently if any pixel extends into the other display, then clicking full screen will fill both displays.  If however, the track view is only contained on one monitor it will fill one monitor. 

I set my display resolutions to match and now I can get it to fill one or both depending on whether or not the track view (really the main frame) is extending into the other display before clicking the full screen button.

Keith
post edited by Keith Albright [Cakewalk] - 2016/10/06 12:40:16

Keith
Brian Walton
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/06 13:32:28 (permalink)
Brian Walton
Brian Walton

Thanks.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  The thing to note is the position of the main app window before you click full screen.
Presently if any pixel extends into the other display, then clicking full screen will fill both displays.  If however, the track view is only contained on one monitor it will fill one monitor. 

I set my display resolutions to match and now I can get it to fill one or both depending on whether or not the track view (really the main frame) is extending into the other display before clicking the full screen button.

Keith

I just tried it again today and the issue seems to be gone.  

Here is a picture of what it WAS doing.  I tried to make sure it was "snapped" to the main screen dozens of times yesterday, perhaps it was just a temporary glitch.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9LFoWIHk0ZZSm1acWxndmhjQlE/view?usp=sharing

pekbro
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/06 20:40:04 (permalink)
Thanks for limiting the cpu load balancing (and ultimately cpu efficiency)
to the platinum version. This update completely eliminates any reason
to use a lesser version.

I've been looking for a reason to cancel my subscription
and now I have it. 

-Cheers
cboshuizen
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/10 21:30:47 (permalink)
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/10 22:09:15 (permalink)
pekbro
to use a lesser version.

and now I have it. 

Load balancing was a complex, innovative, and difficult procedure to implement and is available in no other DAW. Your logic strikes me as similar to "A Lexus costs more, and has more features, than a Toyota. Therefore I'm not going to buy a Toyota, because I'm entitled to a Lexus for the same price as a Toyota."

Seriously, the world of Digital Audio Workstations has somehow managed to survive for over a quarter-century without load balancing. I suspect those hardy souls who use non-Cakewalk software, or lesser versions than Platinum, will somehow still be able to make music.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/10 22:31:41 (permalink)
Brian Walton

Thanks.

Is there anyway to have two control bars (one for each display?)
pekbro
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 01:48:32 (permalink)
Anderton
pekbro
to use a lesser version.

and now I have it. 

Load balancing was a complex, innovative, and difficult procedure to implement and is available in no other DAW. Your logic strikes me as similar to "A Lexus costs more, and has more features, than a Toyota. Therefore I'm not going to buy a Toyota, because I'm entitled to a Lexus for the same price as a Toyota."

Seriously, the world of Digital Audio Workstations has somehow managed to survive for over a quarter-century without load balancing. I suspect those hardy souls who use non-Cakewalk software, or lesser versions than Platinum, will somehow still be able to make music.

You're right, I wouldn't have a problem with it, if performance had stayed the same for the lesser versions
and you just added it for the premium. Unfortunately this is hardly the case. Building it in, then disabling
it cannot be the best solution available to you.

btw: the platinum version simply offers no value for me as I own full versions of
pretty much everything you have in there (3rd party wise) also arguably better and more
costly products. Sorry, the cool fly-out analyzer and theme authoring just doesn't cut it for me.

*edited for rudeness, I am not here to fight. Just express my displeasure
  with the decision of a company that I've done business with for years.
  For someone like me, the upgrade is just asking too much. Make a true
  professional version with no 3rd party content and equal proprietary
  technology, even bump up the price appropriately and I will buy it without
  hesitation. As it stands, this decision is simply a very poor and insulting one IMO.
  What makes you think professionals don't need cpu performance? I find it laughable...
  Additionally, let me tell you, the number of professionals who need you to decide what virtual
  instruments or effects they should be paying for is precisely 0...

-Cheers
post edited by pekbro - 2016/10/11 05:57:07
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 08:18:17 (permalink)
pekbro
Anderton
pekbro
to use a lesser version.

and now I have it. 

You're right, I wouldn't have a problem with it, if performance had stayed the same for the lesser versions
and you just added it for the premium. Unfortunately this is hardly the case. Building it in, then disabling
it cannot be the best solution available to you.

btw: the platinum version simply offers no value for me as I own full versions of
pretty much everything you have in there (3rd party wise) also arguably better and more
costly products. Sorry, the cool fly-out analyzer and theme authoring just doesn't cut it for me.

*edited for rudeness, I am not here to fight. Just express my displeasure
  with the decision of a company that I've done business with for years.
  For someone like me, the upgrade is just asking too much. Make a true
  professional version with no 3rd party content and equal proprietary
  technology, even bump up the price appropriately and I will buy it without
  hesitation. As it stands, this decision is simply a very poor and insulting one IMO.
  What makes you think professionals don't need cpu performance? I find it laughable...
  Additionally, let me tell you, the number of professionals who need you to decide what virtual
  instruments or effects they should be paying for is precisely 0...

-Cheers

You, my friend, are a rarity. Lifetime updates to Platinum is what a true "professional" should be using.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 08:21:10 (permalink)
The decision has to do with scale and price point. Load balancing is a feature not an optimization.
All versions share the same engine code so professional and artist have exactly the same optimizations to the engine.
Load balancing however was done specifically for users who are working on large scale projects and our metrics show that most of these fall into the Platinum user base. It is also a support issue since the feature isn't a one size fits all thing - at least today.
That said in the future we may offer certain features ala carte so one could stay on Professional or Artist and still purchase sets of features that are included in higher SKU's.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 08:47:28 (permalink)
pekbro
Sorry, the cool fly-out analyzer and theme authoring just doesn't cut it for me.

Perspective is a funny thing. From my point of vIew, in mentioning the ProChannel flyout and cpu load balancing you have pointed out two very good reasons that as a professional absolutely the right choice is to buy into Platinum, irrespective of whether you use additional third party content or not. Add drum replacer, vocalsync, the extra prochannel modules and lifetime updates the mix and I can't see how you could not perceive it as value for money.  

To each their own I guess. Best of luck in your search.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Anderton
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 12:18:12 (permalink)
pekbro

Of course usefulness of various features is subjective, but there are more unique features to Platinum than just a theme editor and fly-out analyzer:

• Lifetime updates for free (that’s a pretty big deal IMHO)
  • VocalSync
  • CPU load balancing
  • Drum Replacer
  • And while I realize you feel you don't need the plug-ins, there are some gems in there...for example there's no synth like the full version of Rapture, and the PX-64 is exceptionally useful with bass as well as drums. 
All software is designed to meet the needs of what's perceived as the majority of users, so for example while someone who makes purely instrumental music has no need for VocalSync, probably most users do record vocals. 

Also, Noel's point about Drum Replacer and support is a very real issue. I guarantee some people will enable it without reading the documentation and wonder why it doesn't work. Actually we've already seen that with the multiple inquiries regarding soft synths, when the documentation states clearly that soft synths can't be load balanced. Multiply that by the vast number of non-Platinum users, and it's a recipe for support overload.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 14:09:22 (permalink)
So anyone that buys Platinum today automatically gets lifetime updates? That would be a game changer.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 14:13:35 (permalink)
Yes, through Dec 31 2016 upgrades and new purchase of Platinum get lifetime updates.
Anderton
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 14:19:16 (permalink)
...which probably accounts for so many new users.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 15:02:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vastman 2016/10/11 22:31:58
One of the main reasons I have always bought CW's top version is to be sure to get all the great goodies CW offers. Some of which I don't use. The notion of opting for a cheaper version then one sees a feature they like in the top version but wont spend the money for it but complains is ridiculous. I don't see anyone having any sympathy for that attitude.

Best
John
pekbro
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 19:56:59 (permalink)
Craig and Noel,

Thank you, I appreciate your responses and your situation.
I'd like to say that as a company, cakewalk has exhibited a great
amount of forward thinking of late, that has breathed much needed
life into the Sonar franchise.

I hope this trend continues and allows you to see clear to the fact
that not everyone is going to be using Sonar in the same way and
that there are no universal requirements you're going to be able to meet
with an all encompassing package.

I personally never use Sonar from the standpoint of a musician. For me,
its a stalwart workhorse that is powerful and flexible enough to get
whatever job that I throw at it done with minimal fuss. At the same time,
its not the best solution for everything I do. Most of the benefits you've mentioned 
within the platinum version fall into that category for me as well. You might think
it odd, but even the life time free upgrades are not something I'm particularly
interested in. To me its only natural to maintain a yearly maintenance contract
or at a minimum paid upgrades.

This is something that I see as healthier for the vendor (and myself) in the long run.
To me its nothing more than a necessary business expense that I will write off
in the end.

I think the Ala'carte idea is a good and fair solution for everyone, and I truly
hope it comes to pass. Like it or not, there will always be those who are interested
solely in Sonar itself and the technology that you've developed for it. Personally,
I am happy to pay to support you for the privilege. Honestly, IMO you charge far
to little for the professional version. The surround feature itself is worth nearly
the full price of the top tier version. I would think that a version as I described
in my previous post should easily cost 3 - $400. Many of the tools I use, cost
far in excess of that, specifically due to this feature. The new load balancing
feature is equally valuable.

I will stay tuned, and perhaps I will be able to renew my subscription in 
the near future.

-All the best...

-Eric

Anderton
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/11 20:00:23 (permalink)
Actually in some ways it seems that you're anticipating the future, what with the upcoming workspaces feature, and the lifetime updates model that will likely be more of an a la carte purchasing model if it follows the same path as Apple and Microsoft.

pekbro
Re: SONAR 2016.09 Update Now Available 2016/10/12 21:32:58 (permalink)
Anderton
Actually in some ways it seems that you're anticipating the future, what with the upcoming workspaces feature, and the lifetime updates model that will likely be more of an a la carte purchasing model if it follows the same path as Apple and Microsoft.

Ok thanks, that is encouraging... 

-Cheers
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1