Helpful ReplyLockedSONAR Plus Skin Editor Released!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
benstat
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 04:53:34 (permalink)
Keni

Hi benstat...

OK... I've got it installed on my DAW with it pointing to Photoshop 7 on this machine (my graphics WS (GWS?))...

I first uninstalled Panup's Mod that I use...

Then ran and setup Skinner...

Now I'd like to re-install Panup's mod and then edit from there... Is that a can do?

Keni

Hi Keni,

Yes, you should be able to do that. Here's a rough idea of what to do:

1. Re-apply Panu's mod
2. Open Skin Editor
3. Click the 'Import Skin' button in the toolbar
4. The open file dialog appears - navigate to TTSRES90.dll in the SONAR folder (the one that was modded in step 1)
5. Select it and click OK.
6. Skin Editor will import Panu's graphics from the dll (well, as much as it can anyway).
7. Make your edits, then apply the skin, BUT SELECT MERGE, NOT REPLACE when prompted.
8. Save the skin as a new .ssk file in case you need it later.
9. If you want to make more edits later, then always remember to merge when applying.

Why do you need to merge? Panu's mods change more graphics than the Skin Editor currently supports. If you choose replace when applying your changes, then you'll lose the extra bits that Panu's mods have and the Skin Editor doesn't. This won't always be necessary. Later updates will allow Skin Editor to support all the graphics of Panu's mods. It's just a temporary workaround for beta 1. I hope that makes sense?

Thanks,
Ben

My DAW: Intel i5, Cakewalk UA-1G, Win7 64 bit, SONAR X1a Producer 64 bit
benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 04:58:35 (permalink)
Keni

djtrailmixxx

Keni

Hmmm...

I just realized... I'm gonna have a hard time with this. I have no graphics programs on my DAW as I do my graphics work on this machine (the one I do my browsing on as well)....

We'll see how this goes... they are networked.....  ;-)

If you need a pretty powerful tool for free, check out Paint.net or GIMP. That way you wont have to move from machine to machine.

Paint.net

Thanks... I just downloaded and tried both with no luck...

They both install and work fine, but I get an assortment of error messages (different for each) when I try to use Skinner to open the pic in the editor...

Keni

Hi again Keni,
Would you mind PM'ing me with details of the errors? I'm surprised that neither of them work with the Skin Editor. Basically, the Skin Editor just runs the image editing program with the following command line:

c:\Program Files\My Image Editor\MyImageEditor.exe tempimagefile.png

In the above example it runs MyImageEditor.exe and tells it to open tempimagefile.png. So any program that can open like this should work, which should be most of them.
Thanks,
Ben

gtgarner
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 09:00:37 (permalink)
I can no longer see which bus I selected. All I did was change the active track background in the trackstrips option. I then did a restore, but I STILL can't tell which bus I select, because ACTIVE bus colors no longer change from light grey to dark grey like it used to.  I wish I knew what Sonar file that I could have backed up before using this software. 
I suppose restore = restore back to what the Skin editor thinks how Sonar used to be.  Its not truly and undo back to the original Sonar.
Now what do I do?
post edited by gtgarner - 2011/05/14 09:07:17
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 09:45:41 (permalink)
gtgarner

I can no longer see which bus I selected. All I did was change the active track background in the trackstrips option. I then did a restore, but I STILL can't tell which bus I select, because ACTIVE bus colors no longer change from light grey to dark grey like it used to.  I wish I knew what Sonar file that I could have backed up before using this software. 
I suppose restore = restore back to what the Skin editor thinks how Sonar used to be.  Its not truly and undo back to the original Sonar.
Now what do I do?

dont worry,this is an easy fix..just wait to talk to ben about it..but in the mean time,,dont worry..you can change it back very easily.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 10:16:27 (permalink)
gtgarner

Now what do I do?

Hi gtgarner,
Sorry to hear about your problems. Clicking restore should do the trick, and yes, it should restore SONAR back to its original state, by copying the backup it took of the original, unmodified resource file (TTSRES90.dll) back to the SONAR folder.
Take a look in:
c:\Program Files\Benstat\SONAR Plus Skin Editor\Backup
There should be a DLL file in there. That's the backup of the original copy of TTSRES90.dll that the Skin Editor took when it first ran (although it's been renamed to something else). If the restore feature isn't working for some reason, manually copy that file back to your SONAR folder, and rename it to TTSRES90.dll.
If that still doesn't do the trick, let me know and I'll email you a copy of the original file. I'll need to know which version of SONAR you use - 32 or 64 bit.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Perhaps I should have suggested that everyone make a manual backup copy of TTSRES90.dll first. If you're reading this, and want to make a backup of the original file, you can either back up TTSRES90.dll in the SONAR folder, or if you've already skinned SONAR, make a backup of the dll stored in the folder mentioned above. If anything goes wrong, copy the backup into your SONAR folder and rename it to TTSRES90.dll.
Thanks,
Ben

ps. If you used any of Panu's Sonar Mods, you will already have a file called 'TTSRES90 Backup.dll' in your SONAR folder. Rename that to TTSRES90.dll and that should fix it too.

benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 10:18:33 (permalink)
benstat

gtgarner

Now what do I do?

Hi gtgarner,
Sorry to hear about your problems. Don't worry, as chuckebaby says, it's an easy fix. Clicking restore should do the trick, and yes, it should restore SONAR back to its original state, by copying the backup it took of the original, unmodified SONAR resource file (TTSRES90.dll) back to the SONAR folder.
Take a look in:
c:\Program Files\Benstat\SONAR Plus Skin Editor\Backups
There should be a DLL file in there. That's the backup of the original copy of TTSRES90.dll that the Skin Editor took when it first ran (although it's been renamed to something else). If the restore feature isn't working for some reason, manually copy that file back to your SONAR folder, and rename it to TTSRES90.dll.
If that still doesn't do the trick, let me know and I'll email you a copy of the original file. I'll need to know which version of SONAR you use - 32 or 64 bit.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Perhaps I should have suggested that everyone make a manual backup copy of TTSRES90.dll first. If you're reading this, and want to make a backup of the original file, you can either backup TTSRES90.dll in the SONAR folder, or if you've already skinned SONAR, make a backup of the dll stored in the Skin Editor folder mentioned above. If anything goes wrong, copy the backup into your SONAR folder and rename it to TTSRES90.dll. Then you should be back to a normal again.
Thanks,
Ben

ps. If you used any of Panu's Sonar Mods, you will already have a file called 'TTSRES90 Backup.dll' in your SONAR folder. Rename that to TTSRES90.dll and that should fix it too.

benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 10:21:17 (permalink)
gtgarner

I suppose restore = restore back to what the Skin editor thinks how Sonar used to be.  Its not truly and undo back to the original Sonar.
Now what do I do?
No, restore does restore it back to its original state.

rainmaker1011
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 652
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 11:30:41 (permalink)
Hi Ben,

I am playing with the Skin editor. I have edited an image (Console view/Master-wide) in PS CS4. I used Brush tool. Saved the image. In Skin editor, I pressed Apply and Open (Merge option), but nothing has changed in Sonar.

What am I doing wrong?

Thx. 

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 12:44:17 (permalink)
benstat

Keni

Hi benstat...

OK... I've got it installed on my DAW with it pointing to Photoshop 7 on this machine (my graphics WS (GWS?))...

Now I'd like to re-install Panup's mod and then edit from there... Is that a can do?

Keni

Hi Keni,

1. Re-apply Panu's mod
2. Open Skin Editor
4. The open file dialog appears - navigate to TTSRES90.dll in the SONAR folder (the one that was modded in step 1)
6. Skin Editor will import Panu's graphics from the dll (well, as much as it can anyway).
7. Make your edits, then apply the skin, BUT SELECT MERGE, NOT REPLACE when prompted.
9. If you want to make more edits later, then always remember to merge when applying.

Why do you need to merge? Panu's mods change more graphics than the Skin Editor currently supports. If you choose replace when applying your changes, then you'll lose the extra bits that Panu's mods have and the Skin Editor doesn't. This won't always be necessary. Later updates will allow Skin Editor to support all the graphics of Panu's mods. It's just a temporary workaround for beta 1. I hope that makes sense?

Thanks,
Ben

Thanks for the complete instructions Ben...

Much appreciated... along with the allowances you've already brought into the Skinner... I'm a bit confues by the graphics but I'm sure I'll get used to them as I go...

Right now my bigger problem is with getting a gfx editor working with it.

Using my other machine's Photoshop via LAN has a few issues keeping it from working. The focus of that is  it tries to open Photoshop7 on my DAW when I install Skinner on the DAW (which it can't do) and if I install Skinner on the gfx ws, it can't run not finding some ms......dll which I'm guessing is part of the netxxxxx stuff that we need for Skinner to run... the GFX WS is only a win2k SP4 which I'm still reluctant to abandon... ;-)

So I've installed both Paint.Net and GIMP and both appear to be working but yield error messages when attempting to edit any graphic...

Paint.Net  gives a dialog X The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened
Even tho it has support for bmp/png and transparancy as required...

GIMP gives numerous error messages (only displaying the first few and giving notice that there are more). they begin with:

GIMP Message
Opening 'C:\Users|Keni|AppData\Local\Temp\SONAR' failed: No such file or directory

GIMP Message
Opening 'C:\Program Files\Benstat\SONAR Plus Skin Editor\Plus' failed: No such file or directory

GIMP Message
Opening 'C:\Program Files\Benstat\SONAR Plus Skin Editor\Skin' failed: No such file or directory

Too many error messages!
Messages are redirected to stderr

Watcha think?

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 12:56:14 (permalink)
rainmaker1011

Hi Ben,

I am playing with the Skin editor. I have edited an image (Console view/Master-wide) in PS CS4. I used Brush tool. Saved the image. In Skin editor, I pressed Apply and Open (Merge option), but nothing has changed in Sonar.

What am I doing wrong?

Thx. 

Hmm, strange. Does the edited image show correctly in the Skin Editor itself (not just in your image editor)? I assume so. Try the following:
1. Save your skin (it will save as a .ssk file).
2. Close the Skin Editor.
3. Open it again.
4. Open the skin you saved in step 1.
5. Re-apply it.
I'd be interested to know what happens (I'm keeping an eye out for bugs)...

benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 12:58:00 (permalink)
chuckebaby

gtgarner

Now what do I do?

dont worry,this is an easy fix..just wait to talk to ben about it..but in the mean time,,dont worry..you can change it back very easily.

Hi gtgarner. Did you resolve the problem? Can I offer any more assistance?

benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 13:14:13 (permalink)
Keni

benstat

Keni

Hi benstat...

Keni

Hi Keni,

1. Re-apply Panu's mod
2. Open Skin Editor

Thanks,
Ben

Much appreciated... along with the allowances you've already brought into the Skinner... I'm a bit confues by the graphics but I'm sure I'll get used to them as I go...

Using my other machine's Photoshop via LAN has a few issues keeping it from working. The focus of that is  it tries to open Photoshop7 on my DAW when I install Skinner on the DAW (which it can't do) and if I install Skinner on the gfx ws, it can't run not finding some ms......dll which I'm guessing is part of the netxxxxx stuff that we need for Skinner to run... the GFX WS is only a win2k SP4 which I'm still reluctant to abandon... ;-)

So I've installed both Paint.Net and GIMP and both appear to be working but yield error messages when attempting to edit any graphic...

Paint.Net  gives a dialog X The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened

GIMP gives numerous error messages (only displaying the first few and giving notice that there are more). they begin with:

GIMP Message
Opening 'C:\Users|Keni|AppData\Local\Temp\SONAR' failed: No such file or directory

GIMP Message
Opening 'C:\Program Files\Benstat\SONAR Plus Skin Editor\Plus' failed: No such file or directory

GIMP Message
Opening 'C:\Program Files\Benstat\SONAR Plus Skin Editor\Skin' failed: No such file or directory

Too many error messages!

Watcha think?

Keni

Hi Keni,
Thanks for the detailed information. Firstly, I'm afraid the Skin Editor won't work on a Win2K PC. It needs XP or above, so I'm sorry to say that using it on your gfx ws is out of the question.
I think I'm going to have to install Paint.NET and GIMP and try them out. Panu said he had GIMP working OK, but let me take a look and see what happens.
I assume you installed them on your DAW, yes? If so, try running the Skin Editor Setup Wizard again (it's in the Tools tab of the toolbar). Make sure you're selecting the correct executable file for the image editor. For example, I use Photoshop Elements. It comes with 3 executable files in total, but the one I need is called PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe. Might be worth experimenting.
Finally, can you send me a copy of the following file:
c:\users\keni\appdata\local\benstat\SonarPlusSkinEditor.exe[lots of random chars here]\0.9.2.0\user.config
It contains the settings used by the Skin Editor, and may help me to diagnose/fix the problem.
Thanks,
Ben

stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 13:24:15 (permalink)
Out of respect to Cakewalk, shouldn't we be having this discussion over on the Sonar Mods forum?
benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 13:39:43 (permalink)
stickman393

Out of respect to Cakewalk, shouldn't we be having this discussion over on the Sonar Mods forum?

Agreed. I would prefer to answer questions and hear feedback and bug reports over there.

rainmaker1011
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 13:40:09 (permalink)
benstat

rainmaker1011

Hi Ben,

What am I doing wrong?

Thx. 

Hmm, strange. Does the edited image show correctly in the Skin Editor itself (not just in your image editor)? I assume so. Try the following:
1. Save your skin (it will save as a .ssk file).
2. Close the Skin Editor.
3. Open it again.
4. Open the skin you saved in step 1.
5. Re-apply it.
  I'd be interested to know what happens (I'm keeping an eye out for bugs)...

Did this but with no avail. Nothing has changed. And yes, the edited image shows correctly in the skin editor. 

Should I try to install the Skin Editor using "Run as administrator" ? Although I have UAC set to "off"...

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 13:42:58 (permalink)
You shouldn't need to run the Skin Editor as Administrator because it when it runs, it tells Windows that it wants to run like that anyway (you should see the security prompt when it starts). Could you perhaps PM the skin to me? 

Could we continue this over on the SONAR Mods forum please?

[Edit: just re-read you post. I see you have UAC turned off. That could be the problem. Yes - try running as Administrator]
post edited by benstat - 2011/05/14 13:47:12

rainmaker1011
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 14:18:44 (permalink)
Ben, posted on Sonar Mods forum... ;)

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 14:24:20 (permalink)
rainmaker1011

Ben, posted on Sonar Mods forum... ;)

Thanks Marek. I think it's better to handle questions and problems over there instead.

Zonno
  • Total Posts : 999
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 14:59:41 (permalink)
stickman393

You have a point there,
but on the other hand: I don't see how discussing a very valuable addition to Cakewalk software on their forum can be disrespectfull.

Cakewalk, Reason 10, KOMPLETE 11, BIAB 2018, Roland OctaCapture, Finale 26, PCR-300, HP ZBook, Guitars 
gtgarner
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 15:52:14 (permalink)
benstat

chuckebaby

gtgarner

Now what do I do?

Unfortunately the problem is still there.  I followed the instructions. Concerning backup and the copy and replace.  I'm running the 64 bit version.

I've moved my comments over to the Sonar Mods forum.
post edited by gtgarner - 2011/05/14 15:58:44
benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 16:38:37 (permalink)
gtgarner

benstat

chuckebaby

gtgarner

Now what do I do?

Unfortunately the problem is still there.  I followed the instructions. Concerning backup and the copy and replace.  I'm running the 64 bit version.

I've moved my comments over to the Sonar Mods forum.

Check your emails. You should be able to resolve the problem now.

Telecaster
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 523
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/14 20:02:05 (permalink)
Well I can't get in to Sonar Mods forum, I never get the email from joining

Cheers
Mike
PC I7 3770k, 16Gb ram build to Jim Roseberry specs.
Sonar X3 PE, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 , Edirol PCR-800.
benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/15 05:15:14 (permalink)
Telecaster

Well I can't get in to Sonar Mods forum, I never get the email from joining

Have you checked your spam settings? If you just can't get into the forum, PM me here and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

rgs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/15 07:37:23 (permalink)
stickman393

Or the Gear / Software section here?

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ 2.3 GHz,
4 gig ram, Echo AudioFire4, Sonar X1 PE
Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/15 09:08:28 (permalink)
Keni

benstat

Keni

Hi benstat...

Keni

Hi Keni,

1. Re-apply Panu's mod

2. Open Skin Editor

Why do you need to merge? Panu's mods change more graphics than the Skin Editor currently supports. If you choose replace when applying your changes, then you'll lose the extra bits that Panu's mods have and the Skin Editor doesn't. This won't always be necessary. Later updates will allow Skin Editor to support
all the graphics of Panu's mods. It's just a temporary workaround for beta 1. I hope that makes sense?

Thanks,

Ben

GIMP Message

GIMP Message

GIMP Message

Too many error messages!

Watcha think?

Keni

Hi Benstat,

I am getting the same error messages as Keni using GIMP - "Too many error messages!"  The same kind too.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/15 12:24:39 (permalink)
Thanks. I'll be downloading GIMP later today or tomorrow to see if I can get the two to work together. Paint.NET too, probably. Haven't had chance yet though (having a very busy weekend).

benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/16 12:41:54 (permalink)
I've released an update that gets the Skin Editor to work properly with Paint.NET and GIMP. You only need to download it if you're using either of those to edit images (no other changes are included).

http://www.sonarplus.co.uk/pages/downloads.aspx

It's still shown as Beta 1, but it has been updated. Download it again, and overwrite the older version.

Also, for anyone who has read some of the previous posts on this thread, and seen one or two worrying bug reports (which may have put you off using it), I'm happy to report that the Skin Editor is in the clear. In both cases, the Skin Editor was actually working fine all along, and the bug reports were made in error. It seems the Skin Editor is working very well so far.

Thanks,
Ben

chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/16 14:21:13 (permalink)
the things i thought were bugs were operator error..all my fault..very sorry about the posts i made in the begining ben..i was frustrated i couldnt figure out what i was doing wrong..i thank mugel for helping me.
and im sorry i just didnt know what i was doing.the skin editor is running great for me with no problems at all.
thats why i edited my post..i didnt want to confuse anyone..
i wasnt running winraw as administrator..how simple was that?..i feel bad.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/16 14:57:37 (permalink)
stickman393
Meh, the thread is already started, and it IS SONAR related after all.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
benstat
Re:SONAR Plus Skin Editor Released! 2011/05/16 15:13:19 (permalink)
chuckebaby

the things i thought were bugs were operator error..all my fault..very sorry about the posts i made in the begining ben..i was frustrated i couldnt figure out what i was doing wrong..i thank mugel for helping me.
and im sorry i just didnt know what i was doing.the skin editor is running great for me with no problems at all.
thats why i edited my post..i didnt want to confuse anyone..
i wasnt running winraw as administrator..how simple was that?..i feel bad.

No problem chuckebaby. I wasn't actually referring to your problem anyway!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1