SUMthang....coming soon.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 07:21:58 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Thanks a whole bunch Hook... I really enjoyed the opportunity to listen to a good song and the real thing .wav files.

best regards,
mike

edit to add: After reading some peoples impressions describing light and airy I think I will listen again tomorrow on another playback system and focus on the high end a bit.
Wow, Mike....you certainly were hearing a difference in the files.  Good on ya!  I won't have time until tonight or tomorrow to sit down with Foobar and do a real blind test myself.  I'm curious to see if I hear it as plainly as you do.

Again...the differences seem to be very subtle to my ears.  And again, I'll reserve description of the differences pending the results of the test.  Heck...I don't want to go describing the differences before I can prove that I actually HEAR a difference!  I do know what I THINK I'm hearing...but it could be all in my head.

And I'll also share with you which file was which when I post my test results.

I appreciate everyone's ears on this deal!

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
skullsession
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 07:27:45 (permalink)
timidi

Awesome stuff...............

Here's a maybe client for ya:)
http://www.audiotalkback.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/140398/A_summing_mixer#Post140398

Heh...no doubt.  I could make the box for less than $100 if I didn't have to supply cables.  And he's willing to pay up to $2,000.  But he wants EQ.  So I suppose I could only charge $1,000 so he'd still have cash left over for an EQ of his choosing.

win/win

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 07:41:45 (permalink)
Thanks Skull,

FWIW, I found it very difficult to stay focused and the ABX plugin feels like a video game so you do NOT want to see your score dwindle.
 My two mistakes happened early on and once I felt I knew what to listen for I got more confident when I made the choice... but it never got faster or more immediate. Each time it took full concentration on my part.

Because of my rock n roll background... I don't expect much from my ears with regards to higher frequencies... but I do think that I have trained my mind to dig deeply into the lower frequencies and somehow that seems to work for me.

Have fun with your test.

I am eager to learn the results... but would prefer that more of us have a chance at the test so as to validate some of what we learn... so I'm actually patient as well.

BTW, where did you come up with design? I'm thinking I may (or may not) be making one of these by next week :-) and was wondering if you had some links to something I could read.

all the best and thanks again,
mike

skullsession
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 07:59:12 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

Great thread Skull.

I could almost smell the solder when going through the build pages.

Right, Jonesey.  I had a good time with building the box.  But it was 14" TRS cables at a qty of 16 + that got really old!

I did discover a new trick though, so it was completely worth it.  In fact, I should take photos and post it here so yall can see.  That Canare cable has an awesome woven shielding in it, but it's a real pain in the butt to unweave while you're building cables.  After about two of them, I got completely sick of how long it was taking...so I found a wire brush.  By using the wire brush and GENTLY brushing the woven wires, they'd come UNwoven perfectly without breaking or getting tangled up in the cotton insulator that's also in there.  It only took a few strokes with the brush and BOOM...there it was....unwoven and ready to work!

skullsession
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 08:36:58 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Thanks Skull,

FWIW, I found it very difficult to stay focused and the ABX plugin feels like a video game so you do NOT want to see your score dwindle.
My two mistakes happened early on and once I felt I knew what to listen for I got more confident when I made the choice... but it never got faster or more immediate. Each time it took full concentration on my part.

Because of my rock n roll background... I don't expect much from my ears with regards to higher frequencies... but I do think that I have trained my mind to dig deeply into the lower frequencies and somehow that seems to work for me.

Have fun with your test.

I am eager to learn the results... but would prefer that more of us have a chance at the test so as to validate some of what we learn... so I'm actually patient as well.

BTW, where did you come up with design? I'm thinking I may (or may not) be making one of these by next week :-) and was wondering if you had some links to something I could read.

all the best and thanks again,
mike

Mike...here are links to the basic schematics that I used.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/Martin_Adriaanse/balancedmixnetwork.pdf
(I like this one because it explains the necessary math behind the resistors, and switching possibilities.)

http://www.forsselltech.com/8chsum_2.pdf

As far as stuff to read, just search out DIY Passive Summing Mixers.  You'll find plenty of threads out there.  And, of course, I'd be happy to help if you need it.

Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 14:10:24 (permalink)
It might be interesting to hear the results of running both outputs through a decent preamp at the end of the chain. That is the normal approach with passive summing i.e. from the DAW to the summing device into a decent stereo preamp for additional color and potential image enhancement. That might yield some additional revelations. Just a suggestion.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
skullsession
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 15:08:16 (permalink)
The mix that was run through the summing mixer WAS run through a pair of Daking preamps to bring it back up to line level before it went back into my DAW.

Middleman
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 15:20:38 (permalink)
I assume that was done on both files otherwise a true comparison is tough.

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 15:23:47 (permalink)
And because the mix was fed through some preamps to allow for the loss of the signal, it is not a fair test at all. Any sound differences are going to be attributed to the sound of the Preamps. It would have been better to somehow get the signal outputs from the summing device directly back into your audio interface somehow without going back through any audio device.

Who knows what may be inside some professional summing devices, eg transformers, preamps etc. So they cannot be completely neutral can they. And Middleman why would you run an internal mix out through all that analog circuitry just to make the test more accurate. The whole purpose of ITB mixes is to go straight to digital. A more correct thing to do would be to create two files, one as normal and the other going through the preamps and an AB test should be done on those first to see if the preamps are adding any sound. And the signal needs to be dropped in level as well and the preamps cranked up with the required gain as they can also sound different at 40 db of gain compared to unity gain.

I do remember reading an article a while back but I cannot find it, I have tried. It compared the signal being summed internally to outboard summing devices and they did some very detailed analysis of the resultant waveforms. There was so little difference it was very scary. In the end they concluded it is a waste of time and unnecessary. I am inclined to agree. Once again do the differences between the two versions effect how you feel about the music emotionally, if the answer is no, then outboard summing is a myth.

How are you all going to feel when you are convinced that the file you think is the better one is in fact the worse one. And this will be the analog version.

There are more ways that can improve a mix and they might be contained within the things you do within the mix itself. Or how about running a great ITB mix through a great sounding analog emulation plugin like a Neve Preamp or a Manley Passive EQ for example. And these things have been modelled so well it does not matter. These things will have a much more profund effect than running your mix out to a summing device. Who knows using Pro Channel in X1 could have a much more significant effect. (for the better I hope)

There are problems with passive analog summing and losing gain is one of them. How do you get it back so transparently? After all we go to such lengths to get our signal levels all the way up from tiny mic levels up to pro level line output levels and then we drop it all down by 40 db. Why?
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/11/26 22:07:43

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 15:55:38 (permalink)
bmdaustin

First file sounds a little darker, warmer, more depth.

Second file sounds brighter, more brittle, edgier.

I have to agree with this analysis.
Middleman
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 15:56:26 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

And Middleman why would you run an internal mix out through all that analog circuitry just to make the test more accurate. The whole purpose of ITB mixes is to go straight to digital.

How are you all going to feel when Skull tells us the version that everyone prefers is the digital one?
First, I don't really care if digital or analog wins, at the end of the day you want the best and most interesting result. I prefer to provide an emotional experience to the listener versus having them listen to a wall of sound. Whatever tools provide that at the end of the day would be the tools I would chose.

I guess the point is, what advantage is there to summing? You need to get the signal to a decent line level to hear it and most summing devices require a preamp at the end of the chain. In fact, you get a different response depending on the preamp used and some people, not myself, claim they get dramatic differences depending on the preamp type.

A more equal comparison is to use the same preamp at the end to keep the sonics relatively close in both test cases. Otherwise, a truer comparison would be just the output from the DAW and the output from the summing device, at a very low line level. I can tell you that the summing device would lose 9 times out of ten in that scenario.

A very neutral sounding preamp should suffice. It's mainly depth and width you are after here, not how nice it sounds but that is an added benefit.
post edited by Middleman - 2010/11/24 18:56:11

The Maillard Reaction
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 18:47:11 (permalink)
Of course it is a fair test... Skull did his best with either method... ergo we are testing which method works better in that context.

There is no direct parallel when comparing ITB to OTB... so there is little need to parse the methods in an effort to match the process step by step... you do your best with either approach and that's what you have when it's time to compare.

best regards,
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/11/24 18:57:32

The Maillard Reaction
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 18:52:00 (permalink)
"How are you all going to feel when Skull tells us the version that everyone prefers is the digital one?"

That's insulting. I have already suggested that I am in this for the raw curiosity.

Jeff, why don't you run the FOOBAR ABX test for 10 trys? Heck, you may decide you can't hear a difference between the tracks and have to leave it at that.

Skull, thanks for the links.

best regards,
mike

Jeff Evans
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 19:06:57 (permalink)
Mike no insults intended. I am merely pointing out that sometimes people get convinced that they are hearing the analog version of something and in the end they find out they are listening to the digital one. I hope that most are picking the digital version here as it can be argued that digital actually sounds better than analog but then most people are not prepared to admit that. They are stuck in analog and can't get out.

So if most are picking the digital file then it is because digital actually sounds better. If you pick the summing file then it could also be argued that you are hearing the preamps that were used for the makeup gain. And is that file better or just different. So the test is really all a bit inconclusive.

I am not going to bother because basically I am thrilled at how great my mixes now sound ITB and all digital, and really that is all you have to do. Once you achieve a great ITB mix then you can just let go of chasing the elusive analog summing sound etc.. The rest as we all know is in the song, delivery, performance etc..That is where it really counts.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/11/24 19:09:13

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
The Maillard Reaction
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 19:23:38 (permalink)
OK, I'm sorry I got so testy.

I have previously stated that I thought expensive summing boxes were silly and I have received all kinds of nasty comments in response.

This demo features a very affordable box.

I once joked that I thought a summing box should cost about the price of a bunch of Y-chords. I caught some flack for that too.

Having said all that:

I am convinced I hear a difference.

I think the results of the test I posted above back that up.

Try the FooBar ABX test yourself.

I could identify which track was which 8 out of 10 times. It's all in the log file from the ABX test.

I have stated that I have a preference for one of the files.

I have not nor has anyone else been foolish enough to suggest that they can guess which is which so why are you bringing that up as if you are lecturing a bunch of children?

Everyone but you seems eager to know the answer the and some of us are trying to be helpful by qualifying whether we actually could here a difference.

You see, it's one thing to say you here a difference... but it's another thing to have actually heard the difference.

The best way for the demo to be useful is if people endeavor to prove to themselves that they really hear a difference. Only then will further investigation into the nature of the difference be truly useful.

Why not pitch and hand and take the test?

Wouldn't that be a lot more useful than simply breezing in and making sport with us?

best regards,
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/11/24 19:37:41

Jeff Evans
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 19:54:08 (permalink)
I am not doubting that there is a difference between the files. I am bit busy right now and if I can I am happy to do the test and what if I hear the difference. My point is one version is digital and the other could be the result of the preamps used for the makeup gain so therefore one is not really exposing the actual summing part of the test. If Skull is using the Daking Mic Pres they have a Jensen input transformer. So is the transformer adding anything to the sound. Yes it is.

I originally had an idea here that you could attenuate the digital version and also take the summed low level version and feed both versions of the mix through the DAKING Pres. But now as this experiment is complete, what has eventuated is that the Mic Pre version signal path is worse than the digital mix so I would only suggest a better way would be to compare the ITB mix with the passive summing mix with a much higher precision preamp as the makeup gain device.

I am not lecturing, I am merely pointing out the possible inconsistencies in Skulls test. People rush off doing AB tests and they are still not eliminating all the possible variables between the A and the B signals. It is hard to do. You have to get it down to ONE variable only. The Skull  test has got two variables already. (the summing box and the preamps) So which is it you are hearing?

Rupert Neve makes a summing box. I have got a friend who has one in a top studio here in Melbourne and he says even if you feed one signal into it and out again it sounds better. Sure I don't doubt it. But as we know Rupert has got active electronics making up the gain. So he has probably got some great sounding class A amplifer and a transformer in the output stage. (Rupert just loves transformers!) That could be why it sounds so good.

I still think (and we know know) the preamp should have no transformers involved and be a true transistor pure class A design of some sort. Then you are taking out what the transformer is adding to the sound. It may make it harder to hear the difference because it could be adding something nice into both versions.

Mike you have already thanked me in the past for getting people to think about what they are talking about and doing. This is no different.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/11/26 23:02:13

skullsession
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 21:05:41 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

So if most are picking the digital file then it is because digital actually sounds better. 
Hmmm.....

And then...

Jeff Evans

Rupert Neve makes a summing box. I have got a friend who has one in a top studio here in Melbourne and he says even if you feed one signal into it and out again it sounds better. Sure I don't doubt it. But as we know Rupert has got active electronics making up the gain. So he has probably got some great sounding class A amplifer and a transformer in the output stage. (Rupert just loves transformers!) That could be why it sounds so good.

On one hand you're stating as fact that digital "sounds better".

Then, on the other, you say that you don't doubt things sound better when your friend runs stuff through a box with transformers.

But how can that be, when "digital sounds better"?

LOL...you make it sound like your friend is CHEATING because he used a box with good amps and transformers.
Look....of course there are differences between the files.

That was the POINT!  Same mix.  Different summing methods.  One of which by it's nature requires makeup gain. No one tried to hide those facts.

The questions remain...do they sound different to YOU?  And do YOU like one more than the other?  And, in the end, is the difference enough to make YOU want to dive further into the experiment.

But, of course, YOU haven't LISTENED.  You're too busy pointing out the obvious.

skullsession
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 21:07:38 (permalink)
And editing your posts.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 21:31:22 (permalink)
Jeff, I can't see any good reason why you insist on running the ITB mix out of the box before comparing to the OTB mix?

So what if the OTB mix uses make up gain?

It's a non sequitar.

The two tracks level match fairly closely... that's all that matters if you want to see which process you prefer.

"Mike you have already thanked me in the past for getting people to think about what they are talking about and doing. This is no different."

If you say so... this time it seems like you showed up went straight to the bottom of the page with out reading the other participants posts and said something like *big waste of time*.

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/11/24 21:32:29

Jeff Evans
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/25 00:57:11 (permalink)
Skull I am sorry for the confusion. My friend says that perhaps an individual track being patched through the Neve summing amplifer might sound better than going direct to the stereo buss in say Pro Tools for example. And this could be for various reasons. I personally believe however that the sound of any great analog processor can be produced digitally and therefore you can arrive at a similar point. eg a nice warm sounding track or buss etc..Plugins are just amazing now.

So digital is better because it can sound like many different analog sources, but not so the other way around. It is smarter but we all know that.

OK I have done some listening tests and yes I have some observations. For me there are some issues with the mix. They make the evaluation harder than it should be. But these two corrections below improve the mix and in my opinion make it easier to hear the differences between the two tracks. Also you can play them louder which is nice too.

The snare sounds a little chocky at 225 Hz and on Span it pushes up higher than other frequencies around it.  It makes the lower mids a bit thicker than they should be. But it is easy to build up energy around that area and in mastering they often take it out a little.  (I do anyway) A highish Q type, dip at that frequency and only 3 or 4 db or so fixes it nice. The bottom end becomes clearer.

I feel the vocal sound is harsh. If you are intending to get that gritty nasty upper highs thing going in the vocals then you have achieved it for sure. But I would not master it that way though. Once again on Span there is a nasty peak at 2.65 KHz every time the vocals are present and it is much higher than everything else too. This gets in the way of hearing the subtle differences between the two tracks around this area of the spectrum. I found the section without the solo very helpful too. You can hear kick standing out etc..and how the guitars really sound. I also found it useful to loop over 2 or 4 bars of the music and switch back and forth.

So a little notch at 2.65 Khz even 4 or 5 db down and not too wide either brings those vocals back into line and the mix  sounds better. I had both tracks parked on sep tracks and had this eq on the master buss so it applied to both. Use the mastering eq to ensure best sound etc.. A mastering engineer would do this for sure. Of course ideally, you could do it on the vocals and snare tracks. The music behind the vocals sounds great. If its a big fat natural vocal sound you were after you have not achieved it. Sounds like there are a lot processors on the vocal track. But these are very musical decisions as well. Your current vocal sounds good in the mastering stage if you correct around 2.65 K, the rest of the music does not seem to change much.

Now the music is great and I liked it and to be honest I liked the music the same either way. I can hear a difference. The kick sometimes gives it away too. And after a while the snare shows up the differences too. The eq in one mix is different to the other. I have my ideas as to which is which. I hear one of them as being a little more robust (slightly firmer sounding) and the other being maybe a tad different in the top end and maybe softer (transient wise not level) I want to do some more listening too before I commit to which I think is digital etc and also which one I like. I do like them both. There is not a huge difference between the two. For me anyway, not spending large sums of money on summing boxes. You did well to build it for the cost.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/11/25 07:12:33

skullsession
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/25 10:27:45 (permalink)
My results from last night when I ran the Foobar ABX test.

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.1.1
2010/11/24 20:20:15
File A: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\POISON BLACK TESTS\POISON-BLACK-SUM-1-MASTER.wav
File B: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\POISON BLACK TESTS\POISON-BLACK-SUM-2-MASTER.wav
20:20:15 : Test started.
20:20:48 : Trial reset.
20:22:50 : 01/01  50.0%
20:24:00 : 02/02  25.0%
20:26:20 : 03/03  12.5%
20:27:18 : 04/04  6.3%
20:29:31 : 05/05  3.1%
20:32:07 : 06/06  1.6%
20:34:27 : 07/07  0.8%
20:36:29 : 08/08  0.4%
20:38:17 : 09/09  0.2%
20:39:43 : 10/10  0.1%
20:41:12 : Test finished.
 ----------
Total: 10/10 (0.1%)

What I didn't realize was that this test didn't tell me WHICH ONE I preferred...just that I could hear a difference.

It wasn't easy, but I found one of the files to have better transients, a little more sparkle, more focused bass, and more depth.

The other file felt a little narrower...a little less 3D.

windsurfer25x
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/25 10:42:06 (permalink)
So which one is which?!?

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

The Maillard Reaction
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/25 12:38:38 (permalink)
That is right Skull,
 The whole point of the ABX test is too first discern if can even actually hear a difference before you jump to any conclusions that you may have about preference. The idea is to minimize the effect whereby each of us seem to hear more of what we are listening for in each and every sampling we make.

I hope a few more folks might take the ABX test.

best regards,
mike

Jeff Evans
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/25 17:28:09 (permalink)
I must say I like the mix Skull well done. The more I listen to it the more I like it. Nice top end especially after the 2.65KHz stuff is tamed a bit. For me repeated sampling has not gravitated me towards one version but in fact I have switched completely. I heard the differences early on.

Here is my take on it anyway.  Remember the differences are small and require repeated listenings to confirm. I think Wav 1 is the digital file. It is the better more robust mix. Nicer separation, acoustic guitars sound slightly different. Highs are nice in this. There is also a giveaway in that there is hum in Wav 2 (that is not present in Wav 1) right at the end if you really crank your monitors here you will hear it. Hum picked up in the analog signal chain. You might have picked up some tiny hum on the way. With rock music it would not be an issue but with very quiet things it might reveal itself. (Any power transformers or wall wart power supplies near your mic pres or those exposed cables, parts of your busses are exposed inside the box. Is the box grounded, shielded, steel. etc)

Wav 2 is the brighter one and you can be attracted to this. I put a very mild shelf EQ over Wav 2 to bring it into line with Wav 1. If you balance the top end you can start hearing tiny differences a bit more easily. I think the transformers are degrading the transient quality of the music to a very tiny extent. This is a good reason why you do not have to send a great digital mix out to some analog outboard thinking you are going to get something better in return. It might give you this but it might take that. Unless it is a GML equaliser or something!

I still believe the passive resistors are not damaging the transients. The preamps are. Maybe a transformerless class A military grade chip that Rupert uses a lot in his designs or a discrete components high quality class A amp. With a transformerless preamp the difference is only going to get harder to hear. And dont get me wrong about the preamp. A nice transformer coupled mic pre like yours connected to the right microphone and only passing one instrument is probably just the ticket. But not necessarily on a whole mix.

So to preserve any mix in the analog world requires a fair bit of expense applied to the external devices in order to maintain integrity. If you are passing your valuable mix through any analog external devices you need to be pretty confident it is not damaging or altering the integrity of the mix in any way.

One of the things I learned about AB testing is that different musical genres can make the distinctions much easier to hear. Rock music like this can sometimes make it a little harder to hear but there is always things to be heard with any music. Other things like very well recorded jazz (piano bass drums, listen to Brad Mehldau to see what I mean) or even world music with lots of softer percussive instruments being played live coupled up with electronic parts that are also percussive in nature. Also incredible orchestral playing can really give some circuits a hard time and the sound coming out the other end is just not the same as what is going in.

It is good to create these tracks at a K reference of K-20  and stay there with no further mastering. That will also bring out some differences more so as well. The Skull tracks are much louder than K -20. (Skull's tracks are 5 db louder than the K -14 ref level which means they are averaging K -9db which is pretty loud. Not fully mastered necessarily but not all that great for transient testing. It means there is only an average of 9 db for transients. 14 db transients sound a little better and 20 db transients better still. With taller transients the transformer signal path will be exposed a little more. But even with 9db of transients there is plenty of transient energy in the mixes especially in Wav 1.

I did all my testing at 85 db SPL but did do one session at over 105 db and came to the same conclusion.

This would make a good preamp for makeup gain.

http://www.mil-media.com/hv-3c.html

Transformerless and pure. I see Sweetwater has them for $1800. This is where the expense would be in building summing boxes.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/11/26 01:45:58

Jeff Evans
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/26 17:26:33 (permalink)
It is interesting when you do a bit of research into summing. There is more than one way to do it. For example Skull's version is passive mixing followed by gain. You could do it actively as well with the input signals being buffered actively and then feeding a very low impedance mix buss (Mackie concept) followed by makeup gain.

And the Neve summing box here:

http://www.ams-neve.com/P...utboard/8816/8816.aspx

He is using a transformer coupled approach where he is feeding the various inputs into the windings of a specially designed transformer. Magnetically bring the busses together. That could all sound a bit different as well. But as it is still a transformer, it may color the sound and affect transients to even a tiny extent.

Classical engineers often prefer the transformerless mic preamp as it might be just one very small step closer to capturing transients naturally. I have had some experience comparing transformers vs non transformers.. It started with Ortofon with their SL 15 moving coil pickup. They had a beautiful transformer preamp and later brought out an active version. We were able to arrange an AB test and definately liked the active for transients. But the transformer had a sweet sound to it, musical.

I also once was invited to a special Hi Fi demo of a transformerless Class A valve amp driving a transformerless Quad Electrostatic speaker. And the pickup was the Ortofon SL15Q with the active preamp. They played this incredible percussion ensemble. I must say I was mighty impressed. It sounded like people were hitting steel right in front of you.

skullsession
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/26 19:41:02 (permalink)
Ok...which file was which?

SUM 1 - Summed via Sonar's engine.
SUM 2 - Summed through the analog chain with Daking as makeup gain.

The differences I hear in the two are very, very subtle, but I'll continue using the box since It's all wired in at this point.  And I'll put off my final decision after I get a few months of experience with it.  I've heard enough to give it a little more time to see if I really prefer one over the other.

Jeff Evans
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/26 20:05:47 (permalink)
One thing I was thinking about too is stereo image. After a while I was hearing the difference there. And have a think about it. The two pre amps that are amplifying L and R. Are they completely identical? I wonder how incredibly perfectly matched the transformers are in each of those channels. And also how perfectly matched are the pre amps themselves. If one channel is being treated differently to the other it means there could be shift in the stereo image. I hear a very slight smearing of the stereo image as well. This grabs me more and more. There is a section where the acoustic guitars are on their own and very stereo and when you switch it seems to be more obvious.

That is where something like the Millennia would be good. They would be going out of their way for that part of the spec to be very good.

That is why I like mastering in the digital domain. There is a level of perfection with how well L and R channels are matched that is hard to achieve in the analog world. It also prevents extraneous noise and hum from being added to your otherwise perfectly quiet mix.

So for a final recap. The analog summing setup that Skulls created made the mix sound different. (Worse maybe, but you can like it as well)  And not due to his passive summing circuit either but maybe in the makeup gain preamp. But perhaps with some high precision matched transformerless preamp doing the makeup gain then we might get a slightly better stereo image and transients, and that is going to make it harder to pick. But how something like the Neve summing box actually sounds could be a slightly different story. Either way I don't think we have to go running out and buying a summing box soon. In the review of the Neve summing box on SOS the reviewer also said even when he sent a stereo mix out to two channels of the Neve and back (ie no summing at all) he still heard that great Neve sound over the mix. Well, that puts us into plug in territory now and there are some good candidates for that job, who knows even Pro Channel might be able to do it.

PS Additional Info. As of Dec 1 I managed to stumble onto a circuit for the Dangerous Two Buss summing box. (one of their models anyway, the single rack space simpler model) Nothing special in there. Basically same setup as Skull Passive resistive mixing followed by some op amps doing the makeup gain.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/11/30 19:01:28

The Maillard Reaction
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/26 20:13:49 (permalink)
Thanks Skull.

Very interesting stuff.

best regards,
mike

windsurfer25x
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/26 23:44:45 (permalink)
Interesting stuff indeed!

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1