SUMthang....coming soon.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
2010/11/18 08:24:53 (permalink)

SUMthang....coming soon.

I wanted to chronicle this build as I go...thought maybe some might find it interesting.  I have a pretty good idea where this thing is going...but not completely sure what options will end up in here when it's all said and done.

It's gonna be a 16 channel (8 stereo pairs), balanced, passive analog summing mixer.  Basically the same thing as the Roll Music Folcrum - which weighs in at a whopping $775 on line.  I'll be building this one, along with ALL of the necessary cables, for about $200.

I'm calling it the:

Pics of parts and progress to come over the next couple of weeks....at least.

First, a pile of connectors and cable I'll be using to make all the cables needed for the ins and outs. Standard Canare mic cable for these short, mostly foot-long runs.  Standard Neutrik TRS jacks.  Standard TRS Redco TRS plugs.

Next, the pile of parts for the case - which was ordered from ParMetal.  2-space, 19" rackmount enclosure.

This is a shot of the terminal blocks I've mounted to inside of each end of the case.  I'll be using these to suspend the "rails" upon which all of the ins and outs will connect to sum into a stereo pair.  This will make more sense, I'm sure, once I've connected things.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.

58 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/18 08:31:12 (permalink)
    keep us posted on progress and of course...how it works.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/18 10:48:56 (permalink)
    Interesting project, Skull.  Yea, let us know how it works out, and pics.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/20 09:03:17 (permalink)
    I marked the back plate for the TRS connector holes, and punched guide indentations.

Drilled guide holes.

Drilled the REAL holes!

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/20 09:25:43 (permalink)
    Here's the back-side with the TRS connectors inserted.

On the inside now...attached the resistors directly to the TRS connectors.  Some connections will require more wire to get to the main "rail".  In those instances, I'll be adding extra wire to the end of the resistor.

8 channels done.

I've decided that I'm not adding any mute switches or anything to this unit.  It's pretty much going to be 16 ins and a stereo out.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/20 09:52:01 (permalink)
    Looking good, Skull.

Are you doing this project for analog summing or simply as a means of adding analog processing to individual tracks in a sum mix?

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/20 10:43:36 (permalink)
    The first goal is to simply get the 8 pairs to sum analog...makeup gain with a pair of Dakings.  Dumped back into my DAW for mastering after the fact.

I'm not wanting to get too far into a situation where I have to worry about recall at this point.

I should be done here in couple of hours with all the connections in this box.  Then, the daunting task of all these foot-long patch cables.  Time to fire up iTunes....gonna be a long day!
    post edited by skullsession - 2010/11/20 10:44:43

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/20 11:57:25 (permalink)
    I love the fact that you have not indulged in any smoke and mirrors.

How about putting $1600 bucks worth of Jensen transformers in there next?

:-)

Keep up the good work.

best regards,
    mike

skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/20 13:15:45 (permalink)
    Done with the guts.

skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/20 13:19:18 (permalink)
    Haha...Mike!

I did put this in a two space rack enclosure...there's plenty of room in here for you to come over and add all the goodies you want.

Plus you can help me with all this damn cable stripping I gotta do next!

skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/20 21:41:12 (permalink)
    Cables...done.

Loaded up in rack and hooked up....done.

Tested all channels....working perfectly...no strange noises or anything.

Now...obviously, this thread won't be done until I mix a song...once with ITB summing and then again through the analog summing, and post the resulting files.  Which I WILL do....but not today.

I've had enough for today!

LJB
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1502
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/21 02:59:47 (permalink)
    Cant wait to hear it!

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
    --------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/21 20:08:13 (permalink)
    Ok...I spent a couple of hours this evening working up a mix to showcase the difference/non-difference between the ITB summing and the analog summing.

This song was mixed while monitoring through the analog summing mixer.  One version is from the summing mixer.  The other version is the same exact mix, but summed through Sonar.  No changes were made to the mix.

This song is one of the new ones that my band is working on for our next CD.  It's still missing a guitar solo after the second chorus.  This is me on lead vocal and acoustic guitar.

These are MP3 files...and even at 320kps there will be some loss of fidelity.

http://www.skullsessions.com/poison-black-sum-tests/POISON-BLACK-SUM-1-MASTER.mp3

http://www.skullsessions.com/poison-black-sum-tests/POISON-BLACK-SUM-2-MASTER.mp3

For anyone else who wants to get down and dirty for comparison, I've uploaded .wav files to yousendit.com.  You can download from here for free to get the ultimate quality files for comparison.  Files expire on 11/28/2010...so get there before then!

YouSendIt file 1
    YouSendIt file 2

I'd be curious to know your impressions....good, bad, indifferent.  I've got my impressions already, but I'll wait till you have a chance to listen and comment.
    post edited by skullsession - 2010/11/21 20:20:56

windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/21 20:55:14 (permalink)
    Wow this looks like a fascinating project!

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

windsurfer25x
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/21 22:05:13 (permalink)
    I just had a quick listen on my tower speakers, I'll have to check again tomorrow but I think I liked the Sum-2 file better... although I found the two files difficult to distinguish, I did listen to the wave files. 

Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/22 06:07:30 (permalink)
    I'll make a point of grabbing the .wav next time I am in town near hi -speed.

Cool Project!!!

skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/22 10:04:22 (permalink)
    windsurfer25x

I just had a quick listen on my tower speakers, I'll have to check again tomorrow but I think I liked the Sum-2 file better... although I found the two files difficult to distinguish, I did listen to the wave files. 

Thanks for listening!  In a few days, I'll let you know which file was which.

I still need to have a friend come over and play these files for me blindly.  Like I said, I have a preference, but I know which file is which when I'm playing them.  In the blind test, I wonder if the differences I hear will be greater, or less.

As it stand now, the differences are very, very subtle to me.  But as I learn to use the box over the next few months, I wonder if those differences will be less subtle.

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/22 11:05:30 (permalink)
    Listened to both. I prefer the first file. It seems to have some realism, clarity and depth that is not in the second file. Overall there seems to be more transient information on this version.

The second file sounds more glued but in a slightly smeared, overall less depth and almost muddy type of sound. Sounds like more compression was added to this version.

Looking forward to the results.
    post edited by Middleman - 2010/11/22 11:09:45

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    windsurfer25x
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/22 11:31:14 (permalink)
    The funny thing here is, that I think I could probably convince myself I like either one better than the other. As you said Skull, I think there are some differences but to me they are extremely subtle...

I just listened to the files again on my near-fields... and I'm second guessing myself! 
    I think there's a difference between which file I think is which and which file I like better. I still think I like the second file better.

This exercise is also telling me though that I don't think getting a summing mixer would have any benefit for me at this point and that with my setup the areas that need work are myself as a "mixing engineer" and probably my room and my DAC's.

Thanks for posting this up though! Looking forward to seeing which file is which

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/22 11:33:55 (permalink)
    Skull,
     Are you aware the FooBar2000 has a ABX addon that lets you listen and test yourself?

I use that occasionally for stuff like this and probably will with your files as well.

best,
    mike

bmdaustin
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/22 11:49:31 (permalink)
    First file sounds a little darker, warmer, more depth.

Second file sounds brighter, more brittle, edgier.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/23 02:35:33 (permalink)
    Dude good job on your recording. Sounds cool. Good job!

As far as the 2 versions, I think I have a pretty keen ear, and seriously, not worth the oputboard gear. 

They both sound cool man. EQUALLY

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    jimmyrage
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/23 06:23:43 (permalink)
    I also preferred the first file. More open and airy sounding to me but they both sounded great. 
    skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/23 08:25:10 (permalink)
    Lanceindastudio

Dude good job on your recording. Sounds cool. Good job!

As far as the 2 versions, I think I have a pretty keen ear, and seriously, not worth the oputboard gear. 

They both sound cool man. EQUALLY

Thanks, Lance.  You might be right.  But the next step in the process will be to throw in-line some hardware compression on some of these stems and run it all through the analog summing.  I've got 3 of the Furman RNC's and a DBX unit that could add some mojo.  We shall see this weekend, perhaps.

I'm just excited that I got the box right on the first try...no buzzes or hums of any sort.  I didn't even solder ONE cable together before I put on the barrel, which is my nemesis!   :o)

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/23 09:40:38 (permalink)
    downloading now... will listen this evening.

best,
    mike

skullsession
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/23 11:40:07 (permalink)
    Mike...that Foobar ABX thing is pretty dang cool!  I'd never even heard of Foobar before.  Thanks for the heads up. 

guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/23 14:06:36 (permalink)
    I have no idea what a summing amp is.

But, I listened to the two. I like the second one better, to me, it is airier, and brighter. The first track almost a "dampened" sound to it. But that was just a quick listen.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/23 18:28:42 (permalink)
    I just finished the Foobar2000 ABX comparison test.

Whew... it was nerve wrecking to take it seriously... but I am sincerely interested in these results and wanted to do my part with regards to helping provide some accuracy.

Here is the log file generated when I finished the ABX process:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
    foobar2000 v1.0
    2010/11/23 17:55:35

File A: D:\Temp\SONAR friends\POISON-BLACK-SUM-1-MASTER.wav
    File B: D:\Temp\SONAR friends\POISON-BLACK-SUM-2-MASTER.wav

17:55:35 : Test started.
    17:57:11 : 01/01  50.0%
    17:58:30 : 01/02  75.0%
    18:00:31 : 02/03  50.0%
    18:02:15 : 03/04  31.3%
    18:03:48 : 03/05  50.0%
    18:04:59 : 04/06  34.4%
    18:06:39 : 05/07  22.7%
    18:08:27 : 06/08  14.5%
    18:10:38 : 07/09  9.0%
    18:13:07 : 08/10  5.5%
    18:15:06 : Test finished.

----------
    Total: 8/10 (5.5%)

mike's notes: POISON-BLACK-SUM-2-MASTER.wav seems to have richer bass tones while POISON-BLACK-SUM-1-MASTER.wav seemed to have flattened bass tones. I think that "2" might have had "more" bass as well...  the effect I heard was richer and more harmonious down in the low frequencies. I did not spend much time listening to the high frequencies.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

With a 5.5% probable error rate (I identified the tracks correctly 8 out of 10 times) I am feeling a bit more confident about my ears than I usually claim in discussions like this. I think the impressions I noted above are probably fairly accurate.

I personally prefer the rich tonality of POISON-BLACK-SUM-2-MASTER.wav

I can tell myself a bunch of reasons why it might be one mix or the other... maybe my favorite is a beautiful 64bit ITB mix? Maybe the summing box has *flat* (attenuated and less harmonically complex) bass because so many extra (16 vs. 2) D/A converters were involved? Maybe it's the exact opposite... maybe the extra converters provide extra headroom for the bass? Maybe the 64bit ITB mix can't give me that beautiful bass.

Gosh... now I am simply dying to know the answer.

I didn't dare read above to see if the answer was already posted... WHAT"S THE ANSWER???? :-)

:-)

Thanks a whole bunch Hook... I really enjoyed the opportunity to listen to a good song and the real thing .wav files.

best regards,
    mike

edit to add: After reading some peoples impressions describing light and airy I think I will listen again tomorrow on another playback system and focus on the high end a bit.

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/11/23 18:39:02

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/23 19:36:12 (permalink)
    Awesome stuff...............

Here's a maybe client for ya:)
    http://www.audiotalkback.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/140398/A_summing_mixer#Post140398

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:SUMthang....coming soon. 2010/11/24 04:40:53 (permalink)
    Great thread Skull.

I could almost smell the solder when going through the build pages.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1