Helpful ReplySamplitude - my experiences so far

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/14 17:59:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby burgerproduction 2018/01/15 17:08:27
burgerproduction
Well, today is the last day of the Samplitude deal. I downloaded the demo and have been playing about with it.
I'm sorry to report that I really don't like it very much. It does not sit well on a laptop screen. Might work better on a split screen, but on the laptop it feels crowded. I loved Sonar for it's ability to drag the screen around to fit tasks. Either I'm missing something or Samplitude just doesn't have that. A stupid example is, when you open a VST instrument, there is no minimise button on the window, so you have to close it and reopen it everytime you want to see the instrument panel. This can quickly get annoying especially with mutiple effects and synths.
Most importantly, it didn't recognise Trilogy or BFD. These are old plugins, but they are far superior to the instruments included with Samplitude. Updating to BFD3 is not an option (no upgrade deals anymore from BFD1) and I'm putting off an upgrade of Trilogy till I can justify it, so that was a deal breaker for me.
Spectral Layers etc.. seems very similar to the Ozone tools I already own. Even Cool Edit Pro can do a lot of what Spectral Layers does. It's a great bundle, but, on reflection, I just can't justify buying everything for the sake of a few tools.
Finally, I checked out all the demos of the instruments included and haven't heard anything better than what's on Rapture or Dimensions, and certainly not better than the Kontakt packs I've already bought.
So, despite the amazing financial discount. I'll be passing on this deal too. 
I really wanted to get excited about Samplitude, but I just couldn't. 

There are lots of ways to change the window layouts. You can move things around, dock them or have them as tabs. You can save different layouts too.

When you say it didn't recognize your plugins, what do you mean exactly? Have you added all your VST folders and scanned them? I have loads of old and new VSTs and they all scan and show up and work just fine.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
35mm
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/14 18:00:20 (permalink)
riojazz
I liked the Samplitude demo well enough to purchase the deal on the Pro Suite.

They processed my order and sent an email with serial numbers but the number is a P2 number, which I understand to be for Samplitude P2 (not the current P3).  I assume there will be some process for them to verify my SONAR ownership and then they will send me the P3 number.  It's a weekend, so I'm waiting. 

Does this sound right to those who did purchase the crossgrade at $149?

P2 is the correct number. Are you getting an error when you enter it?

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/14 20:19:52 (permalink)
Ye
35mm

There are lots of ways to change the window layouts. You can move things around, dock them or have them as tabs. You can save different layouts too.

When you say it didn't recognize your plugins, what do you mean exactly? Have you added all your VST folders and scanned them? I have loads of old and new VSTs and they all scan and show up and work just fine.

I did move some windows around etc. but the minimize thing was really annoying and the overall space felt tight with that bottom window. I work on a laptop and having a huge VST window open was never a problem with Sonar; you just minimized it and maximized it when needed. With Samplitude, I didn't see a minimize tab top right. Maybe there is a way...but first impressions were that there wasn't one. Also on Sonar, the ease of pulling windows up, down, left right, was so easy.

Regarding plugins: This is a problem with 32bit plugins in a 64bit install. I've read on Presonus forums of people who've had similar problems (didn't check out Samplitude forums as they seem to be wholey populated with ex-Sonar people :)  It is solvable with JBridge, but when JBridge popped up in my Samplitude scan it didn't find BFDv1 or Trilogy. Reaper and Cubase had no such problem.

Ultimately, a DAW is like a car. They all do more or less the same thing, but it's a very personal choice. You either like it or you don't. I found Samplitude (like other Magix products) a bit Windows XP in feel. Slightly clunky design etc.. I'm sure it does everything right, but I wasn't blown away. I also was less than impressed with the synths. Nothing that I haven't already got. Many felt like bundled sounds that you get with Kontakt etc.

So, although the deal is an amazing price slash, I feel like a lot of us are considering buying it just because of the low price.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Mus
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 383
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/14 22:12:59 (permalink)
Well another deadline date arrives today and been playing around with the Samplitude demo - determined to like it.

I too am a little suspicious of the price based on the upgrade prices asked for Vegas Pro when they took it over. I have had some good experience with their support staff though getting all the old Sonic Foundry stuff authorised on Windows 10. Shame that the plug-ins are not unlocked.

I just got Samplitude to freeze - Midi editor open on a Session Drums clip and then clicking on an internal synth midi clip...

Gets great reviews in Sound On Sound.

Decisions, decisions...

M

HP DV7 3020EA i7 1.6GHz, 8Gb RAM, 1 x 320Gb 1 x 1Tb 7200 drives, WIN7 64-bit, MOTU UltraLite Mk 3 Hybrid, Sonar Platinum 64-bit

www.MurrayWebster.com
www.LondonSongwriters.org - UK Countryside Songwriting Retreats and Workshops

riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Registration problem SOLVED 2018/01/14 22:56:40 (permalink)
35mm
riojazz
I liked the Samplitude demo well enough to purchase the deal on the Pro Suite.

They processed my order and sent an email with serial numbers but the number is a P2 number, which I understand to be for Samplitude P2 (not the current P3).  I assume there will be some process for them to verify my SONAR ownership and then they will send me the P3 number.  It's a weekend, so I'm waiting. 

Does this sound right to those who did purchase the crossgrade at $149?

P2 is the correct number. Are you getting an error when you enter it?

The registration windows immediately aborts no matter what I try.  Yes, my number starts with P2.  In some comment on the Magix forum I read about a P3 number. 

I only received the one number for Samplitude from their email.  I downloaded the Pro X3 Suite from the same link in that email.  The only thing I can think of is that I still have the demo version on the PC, but I ran the setup for the full Suite version and that's what I'm unable to register.  I'm only able to get past that window by staying in trial mode. 

User Scook just said the crossgrade offer is not SONAR specific.  But I have received nothing asking for proof of ownership of any other DAW.  Thanks.

EDIT: Solved. For some reason, it worked the third time.

post edited by riojazz - 2018/01/14 23:43:26

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/14 23:26:06 (permalink)
It is not a crossgrade, don't expect a request for proof of anything from MAGIX. The sale is available to anyone.

riojazz
Registration problem SOLVED 2018/01/14 23:29:13 (permalink)
I understand, thank you.  Then I wonder why I can't activate my registration.  I have a ticket with Magix Support.

The only way I can use the program is by the trial mode on the registration screen.  I cannot make the P2 password work with any combination of radio buttons.

SOLVED. It finally worked.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
aum_yapak
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 04:19:06 (permalink)
burgerproduction
Well, today is the last day of the Samplitude deal. I downloaded the demo and have been playing about with it.
I'm sorry to report that I really don't like it very much. It does not sit well on a laptop screen. Might work better on a split screen, but on the laptop it feels crowded. I loved Sonar for it's ability to drag the screen around to fit tasks. Either I'm missing something or Samplitude just doesn't have that. A stupid example is, when you open a VST instrument, there is no minimise button on the window, so you have to close it and reopen it everytime you want to see the instrument panel. This can quickly get annoying especially with mutiple effects and synths.
Most importantly, it didn't recognise Trilogy or BFD. These are old plugins, but they are far superior to the instruments included with Samplitude. Updating to BFD3 is not an option (no upgrade deals anymore from BFD1) and I'm putting off an upgrade of Trilogy till I can justify it, so that was a deal breaker for me.
Spectral Layers etc.. seems very similar to the Ozone tools I already own. Even Cool Edit Pro can do a lot of what Spectral Layers does. It's a great bundle, but, on reflection, I just can't justify buying everything for the sake of a few tools.
Finally, I checked out all the demos of the instruments included and haven't heard anything better than what's on Rapture or Dimensions, and certainly not better than the Kontakt packs I've already bought.
So, despite the amazing financial discount. I'll be passing on this deal too. 
I really wanted to get excited about Samplitude, but I just couldn't. 

Open up your mind and forget how to think sonar. Learn Samplitude one by one and then decide whether it is right for you or not. Have a video how to use Samplitude Pro x on youtube. You can find out what you want to do. Hope you'll try it again.
35mm
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 05:43:10 (permalink)
burgerproduction
Ye
35mm

I did move some windows around etc. but the minimize thing was really annoying and the overall space felt tight with that bottom window. I work on a laptop and having a huge VST window open was never a problem with Sonar; you just minimized it and maximized it when needed. With Samplitude, I didn't see a minimize tab top right. Maybe there is a way...but first impressions were that there wasn't one. Also on Sonar, the ease of pulling windows up, down, left right, was so easy.

Regarding plugins: This is a problem with 32bit plugins in a 64bit install. I've read on Presonus forums of people who've had similar problems (didn't check out Samplitude forums as they seem to be wholey populated with ex-Sonar people :)  It is solvable with JBridge, but when JBridge popped up in my Samplitude scan it didn't find BFDv1 or Trilogy. Reaper and Cubase had no such problem.

Ultimately, a DAW is like a car. They all do more or less the same thing, but it's a very personal choice. You either like it or you don't. I found Samplitude (like other Magix products) a bit Windows XP in feel. Slightly clunky design etc.. I'm sure it does everything right, but I wasn't blown away. I also was less than impressed with the synths. Nothing that I haven't already got. Many felt like bundled sounds that you get with Kontakt etc.

So, although the deal is an amazing price slash, I feel like a lot of us are considering buying it just because of the low price.

You don't need to mess about with jbridge. Samplitude supports both 32 and 64bit VSTs.

I hear you with the "not like Sonar" issue, but the best advice is to forget about looking for another Sonar because you won't find one. Whatever DAW you decide to get will be different and have its own quirks. And it does take time to get used to a new DAW once you have got used to the Sonar way.

As far as I know, you can't minimize VST windows in Samplitude. You also can't in Studio One and others. I personally never minimised them in Sonar. I just open and close them as needed. You might have to change your workflow to get around that issue. In Samplitude, there may be a keyboard shortcut for hiding/showing the VST window as there seem to be shortcuts for virtually everything. It would be worth asking at the forum.

By 'bottom window', do you mean the section with the transport or the tabbed sections above that? The transport can be moved or docked to where ever you want it or hidden. The section above that with the tabs can be hidden simply by double-clicking on the active tab or using the minus sign. That whole section can also be moved, docked, undocked etc. You can also grab any one of the tabs and just move that tab to where ever you want it. For example, the midi/score editor is in that section. I decided I didn't like it there, so I moved it to the main timeline window so now the timeline and midi/score editor are both tabs in the main window and I have saved that as my main layout. The windows are actually very configurable, more so than Sonar. It does take a bit of getting used to but I am sure you will find you can make it the way you want it. The whole software is actually very configurable.

35mm
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 05:46:12 (permalink)
Mus 
I just got Samplitude to freeze - Midi editor open on a Session Drums clip and then clicking on an internal synth midi clip...

I haven't got Samplitude to crash at all yet I don't think. I've found it to be a lot more stable than Sonar so far. I haven't tried using Session drums in it though.

Ruben
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 06:15:33 (permalink)
burgerproduction
... (didn't check out Samplitude forums as they seem to be wholey populated with ex-Sonar people :) 

Quite the opposite... most of the members at the Sampitude forum are long-time Samp users. I think the recent influx of ex-Sonar users asking questions may make it appear like there are a lot of former Sonarites there, but they are in the minority so don't hesitate in asking your questions there.

Mus
Re: Registration problem SOLVED 2018/01/15 12:10:28 (permalink)
riojazz
I understand, thank you.  Then I wonder why I can't activate my registration.  I have a ticket with Magix Support.

The only way I can use the program is by the trial mode on the registration screen.  I cannot make the P2 password work with any combination of radio buttons.

I have the same thing - any combination of omitting the P or hyphens as the screen suggests doesn't work...

Any clues?

Thanks
M

HP DV7 3020EA i7 1.6GHz, 8Gb RAM, 1 x 320Gb 1 x 1Tb 7200 drives, WIN7 64-bit, MOTU UltraLite Mk 3 Hybrid, Sonar Platinum 64-bit

www.MurrayWebster.com

Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 16:15:22 (permalink)
Mus
riojazz

I have the same thing - any combination of omitting the P or hyphens as the screen suggests doesn't work...

Any clues?

Thanks
M

yes, if you downloaded the demo first, then you must either uninstall it, or just make sure you're running the correct downloaded Suite version before you try to enter the registration number.  the sale for the suite is actually a different product that the Pro X3 demo, so the registration number doesn't work with it, you have to use the registration number in the SUITE download and run it specifically.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
riojazz
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 16:28:02 (permalink)
Brute force was my secret.? 

I don't know why registration failed twice and worked the third time.  When it worked, I still did have the trial version installed, but I was careful to download, install and attempt to register just the suite.  About the actual number, in each case, I copied it from the email and pasted it into the registration number.  The "P" seems to get dropped automatically - I didn't do anything.

Try again and good luck.

TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 16:31:25 (permalink)
On a somewhat different topic...

I was pleased the first time I ran Samplitude and it automagically found and used my FaderPort...in Native mode!

What's not so pleasing now is that Samplitude will occasionally leave the FP in some state other than 'reset', depending on where you are in Samplitude when you exit it.

This morning, I didn't even load a project, I just opened it to run a VST rescan after the Waves update, and then closed it. I had to unplug the USB cable from the FP to reset it (it wouldn't respond to Studio One at all). I'll report this on the Samplitude forum at some point.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
Mus
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 18:11:40 (permalink)
Beagle
Mus
riojazz

Any clues?

Thanks
M

yes, if you downloaded the demo first, then you must either uninstall it, or just make sure you're running the correct downloaded Suite version before you try to enter the registration number.  the sale for the suite is actually a different product that the Pro X3 demo, so the registration number doesn't work with it, you have to use the registration number in the SUITE download and run it specifically.

OK got it. Thanks

Installing additional content and doesn't seem to have given me the option to install on a different drive - do you know if I can move it?

Cheers
M

www.MurrayWebster.com

Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 18:44:47 (permalink)
Mus
Beagle
Mus
riojazz

Any clues?

Thanks
M

OK got it. Thanks

Installing additional content and doesn't seem to have given me the option to install on a different drive - do you know if I can move it?

Cheers
M

I don't know for certain if you can install Sam itself on a different drive, you can certainly install the sounds and samples on a different drive using the custom installation.  I didn't check to see if Sam could be installed on a different drive using custom installation.

however, you might want to register at their forum and get some answers there.  it's not as active as this forum (or as this forum used to be) but there are a few who are extremely helpful there.

http://support2.magix.net/boards/samplitude/index.php?/forum/1-samplitude-software-related-topics-english/

there are also a lot of youtube videos on how to do things in Sam that are very helpful by Kraznet.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Mus
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/15 19:36:14 (permalink)
Beagle

I don't know for certain if you can install Sam itself on a different drive, you can certainly install the sounds and samples on a different drive using the custom installation.  I didn't check to see if Sam could be installed on a different drive using custom installation.

however, you might want to register at their forum and get some answers there.  it's not as active as this forum (or as this forum used to be) but there are a few who are extremely helpful there.

http://support2.magix.net/boards/samplitude/index.php?/forum/1-samplitude-software-related-topics-english/

there are also a lot of youtube videos on how to do things in Sam that are very helpful by Kraznet.

OK thanks, from that forum it seems that Independence can go on a separate drive but not Vita which goes in the C: Users folder. I believe the latter can be moved at the Windows system level and all programs should follow it. I might try it.

Cheers
M

www.MurrayWebster.com

epchevrier
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/16 00:49:01 (permalink)
hi guys i bought it and yes it was a great deal I'm glad i got,  there,s a learning curve however very doable i have a small attention spand so hang in there this software has a lot to offer still   as 35mm said it all great write up  love my splat never thought i would be using samp and others eric
jude77
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/16 16:40:33 (permalink)
I pulled the trigger too.  No, it's not SONAR, and yes, I'm intimidated at learning it.  However, I'm thinking about it this way: I figure I might have used 10-15% of SONAR's capabilities.  I imagine I'll do about the same with Samplitude, so it really won't take that long to learn. 

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
35mm
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/16 18:21:51 (permalink)
Mus

OK thanks, from that forum it seems that Independence can go on a separate drive but not Vita which goes in the C: Users folder. I believe the latter can be moved at the Windows system level and all programs should follow it. I might try it.

Cheers
M

What I did was install content, then move it and leave a shortcut to its new location from the original location. That works just fine. The hardest part is trying to work out where different things were installed to! There is a thread either here or in the Samp forum which lists the default locations. It's crazy that the installers don't allow custom paths!

35mm
Re: Samplitude - my experiences so far 2018/01/16 18:31:00 (permalink)
jude77
I pulled the trigger too.  No, it's not SONAR, and yes, I'm intimidated at learning it.  However, I'm thinking about it this way: I figure I might have used 10-15% of SONAR's capabilities.  I imagine I'll do about the same with Samplitude, so it really won't take that long to learn. 

Jude, the learning curve wasn't as bad as I expected - at least to get up and running (I'm still learning something new every day). I started a new project soon after installing it and by the time I had mixed that I had become quite familiar with the whole thing. The learning curve didn't get in my way too much and when it did I managed to get help from the forum.

Also, I really recommend watching Kraznet's videos on Youtube! That guy is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to Samplitude. He's very active and helpful in the forum too. There is also a huge PDF manual that is worth looking through. Some bits of the manual haven't got updated with the software, but it's mostly there. The standard help file is handy too.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1