Screensets - Flash movie demos -** UPDATE 1 **

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
benstat
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 09:50:20 (permalink)
UnderTow

benstat

As an alternative method, the next version of SONAR X1 Helper will automatically switch between different snap values as you click between the PRV and the TV.
That makes sense. I assume it will remember the last setting in each view?

(I have been considering suggesting two separate Snap-To settings for PRV and TV but I am a little weary of how it would get implemented by Cakewalk. They should start by making everything Key-bind-able  and IMO, remove the Snap-To stuff from Screensets. Consolidate before moving on to new features...).

UnderTow

Yes, it will remember the last snap setting for each view. As soon as you click anywhere in the PRV, the snap value instantly changes to the last one used in the PRV (and the snap value changes in the Control Bar to reflect it). When you click anywhere outside the PRV, the snap value changes back to the last setting used in the TV. I suppose it's actually a separate snap value just for the PRV. Everything else uses the normal snap value.

My DAW: Intel i5, Cakewalk UA-1G, Win7 64 bit, SONAR X1a Producer 64 bit
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 10:13:04 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

As I've already said the different snap is not the best example when used on it's own as it is in the video but when combined with other changes such as zoom levels, hidden tracks, etc it really does enhance workflow for me at least. I'll hopefully show what I mean in future videos.
The other stuff makes perfect sense to me and that is exactly what I would expect from Screensets. I'm looking forward to seeing your future videos.
I don't agree with the global idea, even though I thought it would be a good idea at first. I think the ability to save and load them individually to a library would be a much better method.
To be entriely clear, I don't think Global Screensets should replace the per Project  Screensets! They should be an addition to the current system. It might be less confusing to call them Global Screenset Presets.
The reason I don't think going 'global' is a good idea is because of the way they remember everything. Imagine hiding 3 or 4 tracks in one project and then opening another project several days/weeks later and wondering where some of the tracks have gone. There'd be uproar about bugs when in reality it would be the global screenset that had done it.
Not if things are properly implemented. For instance in Cubase the Global Presets only store Window layouts and don't store any project specific windows (like say a plugin). This means that the scenario you describe above would never happen.

Also, the keyboard shortcuts should always refer to the Per Project Screensets. Not the Global Presets. (These Global Screensets could be copied in a separate dialogue accessible from the Screensets Module in the Control Bar).

The other nifty thing about the way it is implemented in Cubase is that there is an option to copy all Global Presets to any new project your create. (And a few more things like that). Cakewalk should really have a look how Steinberg did this Preset system.
I think once the bugs are ironed out, and there are a few that I won't be hiding but pointing out in the videos, they will really come into their own. But they do need some OTB thinking. Plain layouts they are most definitely not, they are far more than that.
And a bit of copying of excellent ideas. No need to reinvent the wheel...
Regarding the num pad key bindings. Yes that's certainly one way of working but it doesn't work for me simply because my number keypad is combined with my touchpad so I have to switch modes, which is a PITA.
Good point. You could assign CTRL-NUM (the regular ones, not the keypad) to this. After all, you  wouldn't need to duplicate Screensets half as often if you had direct access to the Snap-To Settings directly. (And of course you could assign them to anything else. The point is that Snap-To Settings really doesn't belong in Screensets IMO).

UnderTow
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 10:21:59 (permalink)
I don't agree with the global idea, even though I thought it would be a good idea at first. I think the ability to save and load them individually to a library would be a much better method.

To be entriely clear, I don't think Global Screensets should replace the per Project  Screensets! They should be an addition to the current system. It might be less confusing to call them Global Screenset Presets.

Oh I've got you. Seems like we're thinking along the same lines with different names.

BTW. I think the different TV/PRV snap to idea is a good one too. It wouldn't make any difference to the way I work, in fact it would give me even more options as well as keeping others that aren't crazy about screensets happy too.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 18:21:16 (permalink)
Following on from the earlier video, here's a couple of neat tricks that can be combined into screensets to get several changes with one key press.

This one shows how to change zoom levels & snap-to settings at the same time. Also shows how hiding tracks can be useful.

The power of screensets comes when you start to combine several of these together. With a little prior planning it can really speed up a work flow.

This video also exposes an annoying display bug which CW are aware of and will hopefully be fixed. It is intermittent for me and has never happened in a drum track for me before. Of course sod's law states that it will happen in this video.

Again this video is more about giving a few ideas of the possibilities rather than "This is the best way to work"

As always screensets are far better if saved in a template so there is a one time only set up.

Anyway here's the link and I'll update the thread title and include this link in the first post so they are all available from one place.

I hope someone finds it useful...........
Zonno
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 999
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/27 10:46:35 (permalink)
Thread needs a bump.

Cakewalk, Reason 10, KOMPLETE 11, BIAB 2018, Roland OctaCapture, Finale 26, PCR-300, HP ZBook, Guitars 
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/27 15:56:07 (permalink)
Great job FBB. REALLY appreciate the effort.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/27 23:29:43 (permalink)
FBB we must work in a very similar way! I have always used trk manager to hide the midi and audio depending on what I'm doing. The screenset idea is really something that I will use! Great idea!!!

Let me ask you, I have dual monitors and I like to work on midi on the second monitor, so do you find that the PRV doesn't always hold it's *set*? IOW, the Keyboard view will be maxed the next time I open a PRV when the last time I closed that window, the Drum view of the PRV was maxed out? Had this happen to me several times but I haven't figured out a pattern yet. Also I always have the controller pane open on the bottom and when this happens, the controller view pane is shrunk to it's smallest at the bottom while the keyboard view is maxed. So when this happens and I reset the Drum view pane I also have to reset the controller view pane.

[edit]spelling what else![/edit]
post edited by Grem - 2011/01/27 23:34:09

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/28 10:49:04 (permalink)
Thanks; appreciate the work - every little bit helps

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
vespesian
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 517
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/28 12:32:48 (permalink)
Awesomeness.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/28 13:51:58 (permalink)
Hi. Thanks for all the encouragement...........

@Grem......... yes I do get the quirky PRV behaviour but I've always had this in Sonar so it's not new to X1. I can't seem to pin it down either but I have put in a bug report (or was it a feature request??) that the PRV should remember it's internal layout.

I find the drum pane the worst offender especially the note/name pane which always shrinks down  to a thin strip down the left hand side.

I really like the way screens remember the hidden tracks etc. and hopefully the examples I'm putting up can give people some ideas as to what is possible when combining tricks & techniques. They are there to hopefully get the ideas going rather than as a "this is the best way statement".

Thanks again.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1