Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
2011/01/25 14:59:29 (permalink)

Screensets - Flash movie demos -** UPDATE 1 **

Hi

I've been messing around with a Flash Movie maker and come up with a demo on one use for screensets and how to have different "snap to" settings in the TV & PRV.

You'll have to excuse the 'amateur' production, it's the first time I've ever tried anything like this but it does show how to get a couple of different snap to settings set up and instantly accessible with single key presses. It does get a bit repetitive towards the end as my brain starts to melt........... sorry.

TBH it barely scratches the surface of how powerful my favourite subject - screensets - are, but it's a start. I promise this isn't a ridiculing of the bugs although I do highlight one which is easily worked round.

If future updates make saving and loading screensets individually much easier, makes them remember maximised floating windows and plugins/softsynths stay docked, I will be a very happy bunny. I hope someone struggling with the whole new X1 workflow finds it useful.

You may be better viewing it in a full screen browser, F11 in Firefox and I think IE is the same as the resolution didn't quite work out how I hoped.

I'm going to add other screenset videos here as well as further down the thread, so they are all accesible from one place

Anyway here are the links.......

1. A simple 'snap to' example
2. Zooming and track hiding tricks

post edited by FastBikerBoy - 2011/01/27 04:19:12

39 Replies Related Threads

HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 15:08:25 (permalink)
    Thanks so much FBB for the effort. I'm going to set that up as soon I get back to my DAW.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    RogerH
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 608
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 15:48:11 (permalink)
      I love screensets. Great video or flash....thing 

A song from my band: Terramater 
    My soundcloud page
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) 64Bit
    Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K 3,4GHz
    MSI P67A-C45 (MOBO)
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 (2x4GB)
    Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
    Seagate Barracuda® XT 2TB
    [font="arial, sans-se
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 15:53:33 (permalink)
    FBB:

This is a nice little help.

I'm subscribing to this thread for future reference. This can come in handy for me or other users who can use some help with screensets.  :)

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 17:03:29 (permalink)
    nice work.  keep 'en coming!
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 17:13:12 (permalink)
    Good work FBB. I was always with you on the Screen sets. I just haven't gotten the hang of them yet. And because of the Plug problem, I was put off by them. But I am really seeing the benifit of this type of workflow!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 17:19:27 (permalink)
    Thanks all for the encouragement. The plug problem is a PITA as is the maximised non-docked window. Once their sorted out and hopefully an individual save/load option they'll be even better.

I've really got into them but I'm still finding out other stuff they'll remember, latest discovery, by HumbleNoise is the magnetism settings. They are very, very powerful, in case I haven't mentioned it.
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 17:26:28 (permalink)
    So you like the screensets, do ya, FBB?! he he, no matter where you post that's quite clear with that signature of yours.

But, on a serious note, that's a great video. Well done! I kind of brushed off the screensets as a novelty to begin with since they won't switch instantly on my computer while the browser is open. But, I will dive into the problem and upgrade my videocard for sure and just sell the one I have installed now. The benefit of screensets seems just too good to pass on.

I am working very well with the B, I and D key, however, the improved workflow with screensets will make Sonar even a better tool, I truly believe so;)

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 17:30:43 (permalink)
    Nice video and explanation of your technique. Thanks for contributing this useful information to the forum.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 17:33:44 (permalink)
    Yeah I  know what you mean about the slow switching. When I first tried them I was waiting several seconds for them to change and I'm thinking WTF, how is this going to be helpful.

Once I got them switching instantly though I really started to see the benefits.

I know it hasn't helped you ProjectM but for anyone else reading this who is experiencing slow switching screensets try disabling the floppy controller in your BIOS, even if you don't have a floppy. Yes really, I'm not kidding.........
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 17:35:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Seth, I think your video productions have little to fear from the likes of me ..........
    guitarmikeh
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 18:40:43 (permalink)
    I had no desire to use screensets before this. thanks FFB.
    if anything should be stuck at the top of the forum this should.
    thanks again.

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 19:02:18 (permalink)
    You've done some great work there FBB and I'm sure this will help many folks here as witness the comments above.  But, alas (and still) to me that's an awful lot of alt and shift clicking just to both get the PRV up and to have it set to a different snap value.  Granted you may, at some future date cakewalk willing, be able to do this with "one click".  But the point for some of us is you used to not even have to click...at all.  And the PRV full screen was always just "one-click" or "hotkey" away.  Always.  Believe me, I understand screensets...they might even come in handy if I'd investigate them further for other stuff...but not for this.  I am still of the opinion that Cake should simply bring back being able to set the TV and PRV snaps to different settings and, if I had my way, I'd also make the multidock an option that one could use or turn off.  Honestly not meaning to rain on your parade.  Again, you did a great job and I encourage you to do more "screenset" videos.  I promise to watch all of them and try to learn what I can.  Thanks for your efforts, ol pal.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 19:22:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for the vid! Great Job. Please make more.

And remember, with the Screensets Module in the control bar, you can switch screensets by clicking on the number.

A1
    Grem
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 20:52:18 (permalink)
    ProjectM

I kind of brushed off the screensets as a novelty to begin with since they won't switch instantly on my computer while the browser is open. But, I will dive into the problem and upgrade my videocard for sure and just sell the one I have installed now. The benefit of screensets seems just too good to pass on.

I also am finding changing screensets on my main music pc is starting to show it's old age. Takes it a bit to refresh!

[edit] I saw your other post FBB after I posted this. I will try to see if I have floppy disabled and see if that helps. Will let you know.[/edit]

post edited by Grem - 2011/01/25 20:57:35

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 22:09:45 (permalink)
    Great Job!!!

Is it my imagination or does the midi note turn into a 1 measure glob when you drag it on the 1/8th note snap grid?

Great Job!!!

best regards,
    mike

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 22:50:17 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Great Job!!!

Is it my imagination or does the midi note turn into a 1 measure glob when you drag it on the 1/8th note snap grid?

Great Job!!!

best regards,
    mike

I think that was because he had the MIDI Magnifier tool on.
    LANEY
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 23:06:05 (permalink)
    Yes, Thank You.

i7/16GB ram
    Win 7 x64
    SONAR Platinum Producer x64
    VS-700 C&R

Octa-Capture and VS-100 for live recording
    SoundBank
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 23:35:25 (permalink)

Great Stuff Fast-B.

Keep the videos coming.
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/25 23:58:36 (permalink)
    I guess I just don't get it.   It seemed like just double clicking to get into PRV, and then closing the window when done always worked for me.   though granted that doesn't change the snap settings.   But I've never really thought about them enough to know I'm going to want to go to a particular one.  

maybe in actual use though, I would change my mind.   I do use hot keys a lot with excel.  So it's possible I'm just an inefficient sonar users, lol

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 02:19:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the props people, and the questions too..............

I'll address a few...........

alas (and still) to me that's an awful lot of alt and shift clicking just to both get the PRV up and to have it set to a different snap value. 

I don't think there's any more 'clicks' than setting up any other type of template. It is a once only thing so in the grand scheme of things a few clicks to have something there 'forever' isn't much.

I've in the interest of 'science' just timed how long it takes me to do the set-up, not finger blurring race fashion but just how I normally would, and it took 10 seconds. (+ time to save as a template) It came to 4 key presses and 2 mouse clicks.

In the flash movie I did do it slightly differently to how I normally would in that I set the snap to in Screenset 1 before opening the PRV to expose the bug, not to ridicule the software but just to explain it for those that haven't seen it. Sometimes the bug is un-noticeable and at other times it can cause one of those WTF moments as seen in Crush's video where the snap-to 'turns itself off' - in reality what happened was 'the bug'. At some point he had turned the snap-to off in the PRV and then switches back to it. I'm not defending the bug just saying if you are aware you can work so you hardly notice it.

I would normally just open the PRV then set the snap to in the same way I did in screenset 10.

Granted you may, at some future date cakewalk willing, be able to do this with "one click".  But the point for some of us is you used to not even have to click...at all.

Well you can do it with one click but I prefer key presses. I must've missed how to switch the snap-to in both the TV and PRV with one key-press in 8.x. Is it even possible? I don't really feel compelled to try and find out, can a current 8.x user confirm one way or other please?

And the PRV full screen was always just "one-click" or "hotkey" away.

I know that, part of the reason for putting the vid up is because some here of said you can't in X1 where you obviously can.

Believe me, I understand screensets...they might even come in handy if I'd investigate them further for other stuff...but not for this.

Granted this is a fairly simple example but I thought best to start simple before moving on to some of the other tricks, some of which I'm willing to bet a virtual beer (or two ) can't be achieved in 8.x without quite a lot of keypresses/mouse clicks never mind one, (if at all). Stay tuned..........

I am still of the opinion that Cake should simply bring back being able to set the TV and PRV snaps to different settings and, if I had my way, I'd also make the multidock an option that one could use or turn off.

No argument from me there. I'd still use screensets similar to how I use them now but there'd be even more flexibility. I think my head may explode if there was much more...

I even think it would be good if there was a sort of 'legacy' key for those that don't like the new ways. But there isn't, I doubt there will be so I'm just trying to get working as best I can with what I've got. (Which I happen to like more BTW)

Honestly not meaning to rain on your parade.

I know, you haven't and you couldn't, I'm old enough  (unfortunately )  and wise enough (well maybe) not to take offence to anything. I'm Mr "Super Chilled" or I am until I'm on a racetrack on a motorbike........

Again, you did a great job and I encourage you to do more "screenset" videos.  I promise to watch all of them and try to learn what I can.  Thanks for your efforts, ol pal.

Thank you and I intend to.

I guess I just don't get it.   It seemed like just double clicking to get into PRV, and then closing the window when done always worked for me.   though granted that doesn't change the snap settings.   But I've never really thought about them enough to know I'm going to want to go to a particular one.  

As I said above it's a fairly simple demo but I could never change snap-to's in the PRV & TV in 8.x as quick as that. Perhaps it was me missing something in the earlier version.

Think of this one as more a "introduction to Screensets" - Once you realise that screensets remember just about everything (or rather will when the bugs are ironed out ) the possibilities become huge. Imagine having 10 different instances of the same project open all at the same time instantly swapped at any time by a keypress and you get the idea.

I should also point out that I'm producing those on a single screen when I actually use two monitors. that obviously makes them even more flexible as both the TV and PRV are actually open together.

@mike_mccue. Seth was right it's microscope mode. I'd changed resolutions to make the end result fit better but then didn't change the microscope mode just so I didn't mess up my regular settings too much. Although you've now got me thinking maybe they are per screenset as well. That opens up even more possibilities..........
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 04:52:51 (permalink)
    Many thanks FBB!  Nice of you to go to all that trouble.  My X1 upgrade should arrive this week (ordered from Etcertera three weeks ago....) so I'm going to bookmark your post so I can try these moves!

John

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 08:03:17 (permalink)
    Many thanks FBB!  Nice of you to go to all that trouble.  My X1 upgrade should arrive this week (ordered from Etcertera three weeks ago....) so I'm going to bookmark your post so I can try these moves!

Thank you. As it has already been pointed out this is a very simple example. It is a set up I use though. I've posted elsewhere on my full complement of SS and I do use this although at different SS numbers.

I have the "Snap to" set to my 2 most common settings but then change them within those screensets as required.

I'm going to be adding more "tips & tricks" that I use with them to this thread, as & when I get the time. There are some very neat "impossible in previous versions" tricks.

It's when you start combining the "basic" screensets with some of the tricks they really come into their own.

I found screensets to be one of those "Wow, I've just seen the light" kinda moments........

Ok I'll shut up now..........
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 08:12:46 (permalink)
    Thanks FBB, very helpful!

I think it gets forgotten that screensets do not always have to look different when changed. There are many settings that are stored in a screenset, and not the least of which is the snap setting (and snap magnetic strength). You did a great job of showing the subtle usage of screensets.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Grem
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 08:29:00 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

Think of this one as more a "introduction to Screensets" - Once you realise that screensets remember just about everything (or rather will when the bugs are ironed out ) the possibilities become huge. Imagine having 10 different instances of the same project open all at the same time instantly swapped at any time by a keypress and you get the idea.

Exactly!

I found screensets to be one of those "Wow, I've just seen the light" kinda moments........

That's what I have been trying to say and just didn't know how!!

Reading this thread I came to realize that I can have different snap-to settings in PRV with different screensets and go to each one instantly. IOW I am working a hi hat part and I need 1/8 notes, but I play a part and think I need a roll there also, go to another screenset that has 16th triplets or similar and get that down and go back to the hi hat part. Going give this a try.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    Home PC
    Surface Pro 3
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 09:11:38 (permalink)
    Yep the possibilities really start to open up when you start thinking OTB.

Another top tip. If you don't have a spare screenset slot but want to copy one temporarily to make a small change such as your hi-hat/snare roll example you can do the copy to a slot and when you've finished in that slot select "revert to previous SS" and you're back where you started. However your example will expose another small display bug which I'll show in the next video but again the fix is easy.

post edited by FastBikerBoy - 2011/01/26 09:13:52
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 09:12:26 (permalink)

First up, thank you FBB for taking the effort to make and share this video! The rest of my response is not really directed at you but rather at Cakewalk. I am just using your post as a reference.
    FastBikerBoy

Hi

I've been messing around with a Flash Movie maker and come up with a demo on one use for screensets and how to have different "snap to" settings in the TV & PRV.
    The first time I tried Screensets and saw that it changed the Snap-To settings, I assumed it was a bug and I still sincerely hope it is. It breaks all software and GUI design concepts of clear delineation of procedures and features. I really don't understand how Cakewalk could think that the Snap-To settings should be part of window layouts. It really makes no sense. I am sorry to say but it reeks of incompetent software design skills. I know people that failed the "Introduction to programming"  course at university because they didn't delineate procedures properly. This is the FIRST Computer Science course! This is programming 101!
    You'll have to excuse the 'amateur' production, it's the first time I've ever tried anything like this
    The video is fine. It is clear and gets the message across. That is all that is needed.
    but it does show how to get a couple of different snap to settings set up and instantly accessible with single key presses.
    One of the things I checked and tested in X1 was the keybindings for the Snap-To settings. I could easily assign CTRL+NUM_PAD numbers to various Snap-To settings. Starting with CTRL+0 turning Snap on/off, CTRL+1 to set the Snap to Whole Note Duration, CTRL+2 to Half, CTRL+3 to 1/4, etc all the way to CTRL+7 for 1/64th. You could bind CTRL+8 or CTRL+9 to triplets or some other setting you use a lot. (If I remember correctly, there was no option to bind the Snap-To/Snap-By toggle which is a real shame!).

I find this much more logical and faster than using Screensets to change Snap settings.

As for switching between PRV and Track View, CTRL-TAB always worked fine for me in previous versions of Sonar (and every other properly implemented Windows application). I really expect Screensets to change screen layouts. Not Screen layouts and some other random stuff...

If future updates make saving and loading screensets individually much easier, makes them remember maximised floating windows and plugins/softsynths stay docked
    Indeed and copy the Global Layouts concept (and implementation! Do it properly!) from Cubase.

UnderTow
    benstat
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 09:27:20 (permalink)
    As an alternative method, the next version of SONAR X1 Helper will automatically switch between different snap values as you click between the PRV and the TV.

My DAW: Intel i5, Cakewalk UA-1G, Win7 64 bit, SONAR X1a Producer 64 bit
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 09:37:06 (permalink)
    benstat

As an alternative method, the next version of SONAR X1 Helper will automatically switch between different snap values as you click between the PRV and the TV.
    That makes sense. I assume it will remember the last setting in each view?

(I have been considering suggesting two separate Snap-To settings for PRV and TV but I am a little weary of how it would get implemented by Cakewalk. They should start by making everything Key-bind-able  and IMO, remove the Snap-To stuff from Screensets. Consolidate before moving on to new features...).

UnderTow
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:A Screenset - Snap to flash movie demo 2011/01/26 09:47:17 (permalink)
    Thanks UnderTow.

As I've already said the different snap is not the best example when used on it's own as it is in the video but when combined with other changes such as zoom levels, hidden tracks, etc it really does enhance workflow for me at least. I'll hopefully show what I mean in future videos.

I don't agree with the global idea, even though I thought it would be a good idea at first. I think the ability to save and load them individually to a library would be a much better method.

The reason I don't think going 'global' is a good idea is because of the way they remember everything. Imagine hiding 3 or 4 tracks in one project and then opening another project several days/weeks later and wondering where some of the tracks have gone. There'd be uproar about bugs when in reality it would be the global screenset that had done it.

I think once the bugs are ironed out, and there are a few that I won't be hiding but pointing out in the videos, they will really come into their own. But they do need some OTB thinking. Plain layouts they are most definitely not, they are far more than that.

Regarding the num pad key bindings. Yes that's certainly one way of working but it doesn't work for me simply because my number keypad is combined with my touchpad so I have to switch modes, which is a PITA. The idea of that first video isn't really to say this is the best way of changing snap settings but just pointing out the possibilities of Screensets in general which seem to have no limits other than imagination. IMHO of course.........
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1