Helpful ReplyShould I Stay or Should I Go Now?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
David.Hoffman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2017/04/18 16:22:23 (permalink)

Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

Long time Sonar user here, from version 7, 8, 8.5, X1, X2, X3 and now Platinum.

I recently purchased a PreSonus StudioLive AR16 USB Mixer to do multi-track recordings for band practice. That got me into using Presonus Capture and the free version of Studio One. I was blown away by how easy Studio One is to use and how STABLE it seems to be.

I'm now running the full demo version of Studio One and so far it seems to be rock solid and a real joy to use. The arranger and scratch pad features are very useful and could be a game changer for song writing.

So far with Studio One: no audio drop outs, no clicks, no pops, no crashes. After using it for a few days I opened a Sonar project and got a click and audio drop right away. Sonar runs about 85% stable for me (if I had to pick a number).

So the question is... any advice on whether the switch is worth it? So far there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to stay with Sonar (unless the stability issues are resolved). It seems that rolling updates have destabilized the product.
karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 16:26:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/04/20 17:35:57
I don't have any stability problems with Sonar Platinum and I've been upgrading every month.  You have been very vague in your post but normally issues like that are caused by hardware or third party plugins. 

But you need to use the tool that works best for you. 

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 16:39:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/04/19 18:54:39
Here's the thing I don't get. Why does it have to always be "switch to" or "dump" or any other such thing. It's not like Splat will suddenly be rendered inoperable because you installed another DAW on your system.

I currently use two DAWs regularly. SPlat and Reaper. I mostly stay in SPlat for creative process stuff (writing, tracking, mixing) and for more hardcore engineering tasks that SONAR isn't as good at (intensive wave manipulation, intricate tempo mapping and I'd likely use it if I were to track a full live band due to it's low resource footprint).

This method serves me VERY well and in fact made me much happier with Sonar. The only thing that made me REALLY cranky in the past was when I needed to perform a specific (and often times extremely laborious) task and the Sonar projects would slowly become more unstable (because I was pushing it too hard in a direction the program did not want to go). Now when that seems likely to happen for a specific phase of my projects I do the work in Reaper then drag the files back into Sonar when it's done.

Also, if I had the money I'd definitely try to acquire other DAWs so I could have access to features/workflows specific to those programs (as well as for curiosity's sake and compatibility with other studios if they request it).

So my answer is...

why_not_both_girl.meme
David.Hoffman
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 16:41:49 (permalink)
I didn't want to make a long drawn out post, but as I said, I'm a long time user of Sonar without any real problems until Platinum. I'm running an Alienware, i7, 16 GB with a Scarlett 2i2 second generation.

If plug-ins are the culprit, then there must be something in Studio One that handles it better than Sonar does.

I have a friend with a brand new machine who is constantly battling bugs between the rolling updates, it's because of him that I really started to take notice of all the problems in Sonar that I've been ignoring or dealing with. Stability issues seem to be well documented on the forums. I'm sure there are many happy users out there, and I was one of them. It wasn't until I started to check out another product that I saw what I was missing.

I had better results using my old M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R than with the new Focusrite Scarlett, but Studio One works fine with both.

Beepster
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 16:47:57 (permalink)
So you are asking a forum set up for and populated by Sonar users whether you should switch to a competitor?

Well... okay then. Have fun with that.
David.Hoffman
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 16:47:59 (permalink)
Beepster, your comment about intricate tempo mapping in Sonar is relevant for me. If I work in 12/8 things can get really wonky for me. Clip end times will render incorrectly, way past their true end point, the background grid isn't rendered properly, blocks are inconsistent in their size.

Why not both? Perhaps. But I don't see me keeping up with both products. I believe future Studio One releases are free, whereas Sonar works on a paid subscription type model.
David.Hoffman
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 16:50:09 (permalink)
Beepster, I was just trying to open up a conversation about my experiences to see if I could gleam any knowledge or insight from others out there. I've already heard some decent feedback from you on this, and I appreciate that, but based on how people tend to behave online, perhaps you're right, I may be poking a bear here.

As I've said, I've been using Sonar for 10+ years. I've loved it, defended it and recommended it. I've recorded 5 full albums with it.

stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 17:03:55 (permalink)
Use what works for you. I have both Studio One and SONAR Platinum, and use them for different things.

I don't agree that rolling updates have destabilized the product.
dlion16
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 391
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 17:10:15 (permalink)
I just got a 6i6 2g. Had infrequent glitches. Focusrite tech support worked it through with me.
Turned out my bios was not set up correctly. And, I read that net adapters are often at fault. I use a wireless adapter when I go online, so I had disabled the net adapter in devman, now disabled in bios as well. Much improved. 
I rolled back to an earlier display driver, fewer glitches. 
Then, I switched th 6i6 from a usb 2 port to usb 3, and that made all the difference on my system. 
My point is, maybe sonar is more "sensitive" than studio one, but in my case, making system-level tweaks made glitches in sonar go away. Sonar was telling me something was wrong… 

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 17:14:24 (permalink)
The question of staying or leaving is an interesting one, because it's not just based on performance and workflow issues, but emotional ones as well. There is loyalty, for example. I use Sonar 8.5, never made the jump, because it was so drastic that I realized it was essentially learning a new DAW. Which made me look at other DAWS. Which resulted in me eventually settling on Reaper. But I have not left sonar 8.5 behind. I like some of the tools, esp. mastering; and besides all my projects were begun in sonar, and sometimes I need to open them to look at how I did something; or import something, etc. So I will definitely still use it some. and last but certainly not least, this forum is an incredible resource. I need the wisdom that lives here! So my advice: Don't leave. Loosen the strings a bit perhaps, but don't cut them. The old "don't close any doors" thing is very good advice!

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Beepster
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 17:34:28 (permalink)
Yes. That's the thing. Sonar is indeed more finicky than (some) other platforms. You have to make SURE your system is configured in a way that won't make Sonar cranky. Also as you work (on large projects anyway) you have to do occasional upkeep on the project to keep resource consumption down/avoid "confusing" Sonar with too much intensive tasks on the go.

Example: I built my PC specifically for use with Sonar, did all the usual tweaks recommended, disabled/removed everything NOT related to my audio adventures and keep the system almost entirely for audio use. I do NOT unnecessarily leave open Region FX clips, unbounced stretches/pitch adjustments, etc and make sure tracks with excessive takes/splits/edits don't survice past their usefulness (comps get bounced/flattened and moved to fresh tracks and the originals archived).

I also avoid cramming the project early on with too many plugins that aren't necessary yet (like if I'm just tracking and editing I just use basic plugs for a general sound and save any fancy, multi phase sound shaping schemes for the final mix phase in a completely cleaned up project).

With a bit of extra diligence you can keep Splat running quite well. It's still not going to be as snappy as something like Reaper BUT you get access to everything Sonar has to offer which is quite a bit.

It should also be noted that I have seen quite a few people who switched to Studio1 then realize that there are things it simply does not do at all compared to Sonar. Seems to me like it might be a better "out of the box" type of program but not quite as in depth or feature rich.

So again... my answer is to say just use both for what YOU find they work best at. It's not a huge deal to shuffle files back and forth between programs if you are organized about it.

Cheers.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 21:33:58 (permalink)
David.HoffmanWhy not both? Perhaps. But I don't see me keeping up with both products. I believe future Studio One releases are free, whereas Sonar works on a paid subscription type model.

So if I buy Studio One today I will never, ever have to pay for an updated version? Not even if/when it's Studio One 30 in ten year's time? Seems a strange business model if that's the case, one relying purely on new customers to keep the money rolling in.

And no. Sonar is not a "paid subscription type model." Cakewalk offer two ways to purchase it. Cash up-front and you own the software immediately plus a year's free updates and need pay no more. Or pay in installments at so much per month for a year. At the end of that year you now own that copy of Sonar. If you never pay Cakewalk for anything ever again that copy will continue to work until Windows, PC technology or global disaster renders it unusable. That is no more a "subscription model" than is paying for your new car or house at so much a month until you own it.

Come to that, Cakewalk have even done a "pay now once and get lifetime upgrades" deal. Which is the exact opposite of a "subscription type" anything.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 21:44:36 (permalink)
Stay.  The end!

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 21:46:28 (permalink)
David.Hoffman
So the question is... any advice on whether the switch is worth it?

I have been using Sonar since Craig Anderton was 18: 
But reading your post I have to ask, can you not use both?

Honestly, I am not certain why I stayed with Cakewalk, I even stopped using the software for a few years but kept paying for upgrades, who does that? 

What I am asking is and as others may have stated, can you use both for their best parts? Like any product or relationship, there are things I hate about Sonar, some here tend to get worked up about it but in the end, it's about creativity, do what inspires you!.
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 22:11:53 (permalink)
I don't have any real issues with Sonar. I think for the overwhelming majority here, Sonar works fine. Granted we all may have some wish list but those will only change for any DAW.

So, the issues you are having are primarily with your system. Some hardware conflict or configuration that Sonar finds problematic. That leaves you two options:
  1. Work on your system config and/or replace hardware to eliminate the issues you are having with Sonar.
  2. Find another DAW that you think works better with your system.
No amount of comments or sales pitches here will change those facts and the decision is solely yours.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 22:14:21 (permalink)
Stay.

You know you want to or you wouldn't ask.

Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 22:23:57 (permalink)
Seems the stability is main factor for you. The occasional crashes I get these days are due to third party plugins only. If you already own Splat, getting Studio One would be an overkill, IMO, better spend money on some additional Fabfilters or PSPs.

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

TPayton
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 178
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/18 23:30:01 (permalink)
Dear Cakewalk forum brethren,

I must confess that I too was unfaithful to Sonar with a younger DAW. Her name is Mixcraft. I started my Cakewalk journey with Guitar Tracks, decided that I needed more midi capability, and then upgraded to X1.  After finding the the skylight interface to be baffling and disorienting, I sought out a new love on the internet. And I found Mixcraft.
Her clean, easy, breezy interface made X1 look like a confused old lady wearing too much make up. While MC was so easy to use, Sonar seemed to be trying to be all things to all people. Every time I opened Sonar I felt overwhelmed and buried up to my neck in tech.

I mentioned Mixcraft's name on this board once and was justly and firmly shouted down by members of that legalistic sect the Sonarites. Mixcraft was ridiculed as a toy. But Mixcraft is a cool little program made by some innovative people, and is quite user friendly. Very lightweight compared to Sonar, but not without value.  And it had take lanes and automation lanes before Sonar did. So a measure of respect is in order. But Sonar added these features a couple of versions later, and implemented them quite well.

Then a few interesting things happened.

Over the course of time I realized that while Mixcraft was a great scratchpad for me, with it's ease of use and all, when it came time to roll up your sleeves and really get to work, it was time to fire up Sonar. Then Cakewalk offered me lifetime updates. I'd have to be a fool to pass that up.  And over the course of various updates the Cakewalk interface has become much more adaptable. With the new Sonar lenses feature I can now configure it to be as easy (or even easier) to use as Mixcraft. But when there is heavy lifting to be done I can still pull out the big Sonar toolbox if desired. Best of both worlds.

So I still play around with Mixcraft a little here and there, and am a registered beta tester for them. The beta tester discount allows me to upgrade to each new version for about the cost of a pizza, so why not?

But barring anything unexpected happening, Sonar is my DAW of choice from this point forward. Lifetime updates! What a concept! 

Thanks Bakers for continuing to take Sonar in a positive direction.

Tom
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 02:55:21 (permalink)
TPayton

I must confess that I too was unfaithful to Sonar with a younger DAW. Her name is Mixcraft. I started my Cakewalk journey with Guitar Tracks, decided that I needed more midi capability, and then upgraded to X1.  After finding the the skylight interface to be baffling and disorienting, I sought out a new love on the internet. And I found Mixcraft.
Her clean, easy, breezy interface made X1 look like a confused old lady wearing too much make up. While MC was so easy to use, Sonar seemed to be trying to be all things to all people. Every time I opened Sonar I felt overwhelmed and buried up to my neck in tech.

I mentioned Mixcraft's name on this board once and was justly and firmly shouted down by members of that legalistic sect the Sonarites. Mixcraft was ridiculed as a toy. But Mixcraft is a cool little program made by some innovative people, and is quite user friendly. Very lightweight compared to Sonar, but not without value.  And it had take lanes and automation lanes before Sonar did. So a measure of respect is in order. But Sonar added these features a couple of versions later, and implemented them quite well.

Over the course of time I realized that while Mixcraft was a great scratchpad for me, with it's ease of use and all, when it came time to roll up your sleeves and really get to work, it was time to fire up Sonar. Then Cakewalk offered me lifetime updates. I'd have to be a fool to pass that up.  And over the course of various updates the Cakewalk interface has become much more adaptable. With the new Sonar lenses feature I can now configure it to be as easy (or even easier) to use as Mixcraft. But when there is heavy lifting to be done I can still pull out the big Sonar toolbox if desired. Best of both worlds.

So I still play around with Mixcraft a little here and there, and am a registered beta tester for them. The beta tester discount allows me to upgrade to each new version for about the cost of a pizza, so why not?

But barring anything unexpected happening, Sonar is my DAW of choice from this point forward. Lifetime updates! What a concept! 

Mr. Payton . . . thank you, this is a hilarious, yet poignant poem you have posted here . . . so creative, makes me want to hear some of your music !

I've only always used Cakewalk for a DAW, now it's lifetime for me . . . however, I have felt some industry pressures to become familiar with other DAWS, and have to consider them to make a living. Though, somehow I always know to get things done quickly and efficiently, I will have to move projects back into Sonar, as it's where I will actually get things done, ya' familiarity breeds efficiency.

PS . . . my vote is STAY

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 05:40:59 (permalink)
David.Hoffman

i agree with beepster that this isn't the right place to be asking this question and  expect to get a balanced response, so i'll throw my hat into the ring for a bit of balance.

i made the switch about 2 and a half years ago (used sonar on and off since pro audio 9), never looked back, love it, it's everything you say and much more. i still keep an eye on sonar, being a lifetime member, but there would have to be some major feature adding and bug fixing (get rid of all the required cumbersome, convoluted workarounds for many things that don't work as they should) to get me to even think of switching back, but if that did happen and i thought sonar was the better choice, or another daw popped up which i thought was better i'd of course switch to that, i have no loyalty to a company or product as such, and don't find switching to another daw which i feel is better, or suits me better to be very daunting. studio one just clicked with me, very intuitive, love the features, the work flow, the look, the speed, pretty much everything, there is nothing i miss from sonar (apart from the software and deals sub forums ) but as things stand now if i switched back there would be heaps i would miss from studio one. it's come to the stage that i only briefly check out the new updates for sonar, and find that i really don't like being in its environment, everything just seems slower to do, and i have grown to dislike the look of it's gui, to be honest can't stand it, the theme editor and custom themes don't really change that, as it's just the same thing with different colors. having said that, sonar is quite capable of doing the job for you, just depends on if the workflow, the look, the features etc suit what you want. doesn't really matter what you use, as long as you are happy using it.
Pragi
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 06:12:27 (permalink)
If Studio one is much easier to handle and more stable for you -
there is no question what to do,
specially cause you are a long time Sonar user .A new workflow and tools aso
can bring a fresh breath into the creative process.
As a  lifetimer you can everytime switch back to Sonar or you can run Studio 1 for 
band recording and sonar in your studio .

regards
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 06:58:02 (permalink)
David.Hoffman
So the question is... any advice on whether the switch is worth it? So far there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to stay with Sonar (unless the stability issues are resolved). It seems that rolling updates have destabilized the product.

Ditching S1 for me had to do with external midi gear.
Implementation of midi in S1 seems to be targeting VST instruments more.
My reference is S1 v2.x.

a) you cannot record midi just arming a track, you will record just notes if not having echo/monitoring on.
No controllers recorded - really odd. When using VST instruments you don't even notice, since monitoring is always on.

All other daws I just armed for recording, and what comes in is recorded. Usually just a general setting in midi preferences if to record aftertouch and a few things like that.

b) What the midi track targets on output decides everything and you have to set that up what to filter or let through. Everything wasn't on by default for some reason.

To me they overcomplicated midi overall, the way you had to start creating a generic midi controller.
When testing S1 v1.x I never even got midi to work - it initialized, no error messages, just no data through.

And didn't like the implementation of multi out VST instruments either. At the time you did not get a track, just a mixer slot for that(second out and up). I think v3.x fixed that though.

So moving most things to external midi gear I dropped S1. And there was nothing I felt S1 excelled in either. A lot of expand/collapse to see sends unless you ran tall mixer view.

Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 11:06:37 (permalink)
TPayton

Good phrasing, dynamics and sense of drama - you should post your music

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 14:10:17 (permalink)
It has no drum replacer
It has no vocalsync
The 64-bit version only accepts 64-bit plugs
The 32-bit version only accepts 32-bit plugs
You can only open one project at a time, requiring workarounds like the scratchpad

Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 14:18:54 (permalink)
Why not use both?

When I was at Cakewalk ten years ago we were very competitive and protective about SONAR being your only DAW, but nowadays, I find that so many people are fluent in multiple DAWs, depending on how you work, what kind of music / audio you're creating and producing...

I'm just suggesting - don't think of it as a "switch," think of it instead as an "add".

Alex Westner
VP Product Strategy & Innovation

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 14:44:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2017/04/19 14:59:28
Some comments on what's been touched on here...

• I would not use anything other than SONAR for multitrack recording and mixing, anything other than Studio One for album assembly, or anything other than Live for live performance,
  • Mixcraft is a cool program that does a lot for the money.
  • SONAR is more "delicate" because it is tied so closely to Windows. The downside is if Windows sneezes, SONAR catches a cold. The upside is when Windows is finely tuned, SONAR soars.
  • I have no instability problems with SONAR, but I have a proper music computer, solid interface drivers, and pay attention to things like graphics card drivers and turning off useless startup programs.
  • If you look at forum posts, the main sources of instability problems with SONAR are third-party plug-ins (SONAR follows the VST spec very closely, not all plug-ins do), interface drivers (especially if a company's main market is the Mac), and Windows/system issues (the main culprits have been well-documented). 
  • Studio One point upgrades are free. Integer updates are paid (at least so far, so I expect this will hold true in the future).
  • SONAR has an extremely flexible upgrade model, probably the most flexible in the industry because once you own the software, you own it...and you decide whether to upgrade or not, how much you want to pay for it (i.e., the longer you wait, the less it costs), and when you want to upgrade.
  • SONAR has features I simply can't live without for some of the production work I do. That precludes even considering a different DAW. If SONAR didn't exist I'd have to go back to using multiple programs, like I did in the days before SONAR existed.
  • If you own a sports car, it's fantastic and fun to drive, but requires maintenance to keep it at the top of its game. So if you then drive a VW Passat, you're going to enjoy the fact that it doesn't require the same kind of care. However, you won't be able to take corners at 50 MPH, or go from 0 to 60 in two seconds. If you don't want to maintain a sports car, the VW Passat is a better choice.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
KingsMix
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 14:53:47 (permalink)
Sonar Platinum (Lifetime Updates)
Studio One Pro 3
I use both.
Studio one was kept at arms distance for a while for me, because the midi seemed to be lacking quite a bit in my opinion, but as of Studio One Pro 3 the midi has been rock solid for me.
As it has been stated in a few different ways and at a few different temperament levels, use whatever works "for you".

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 14:58:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/04/19 15:14:14
I don't know one guitarist who switched from, say, a Gibson to a Fender. They play both.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 15:07:57 (permalink)
David.Hoffman

Really? Really?
You really have to ask for advice on such a personal taste issue?

OK, I say go.
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? 2017/04/19 15:21:16 (permalink)
I added S1-3P a while ago during a too good to pass crossgrade offer.

I won't do a full review here, but there are a number of things that S1 just doesn't do, or do better than SONAR.  OTOH, there are some really cool things about S1.  I'm betting that with more experience I'll like S1 even better, but I honestly don't see myself giving up SONAR.

Cakewalk would have to do a lot of work to get me to let go of S1, and PreSonus is faced with the same amount of work to get me to give up SONAR.

I'm firmly in the SONAR + S1 and Gibson + Fender camps

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1