AnsweredShould I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
GregGraves
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 274
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/11 00:02:53 (permalink)
I don't understand the "free" bit.  That was why I freaked over the lifetime SPLAT, and never bit.  How well does "free" work in the Bandlab business model?

I have a HUGE !!! commitment to SPLAT, in the form of being a good engineer.  I doubt I have the remaining brain cells to learn much of anything new.  That said, I am installing CbB ... don't know why, but .....

I am "Five Foot Wall" on Spotify, Deezer, etc.  Platinum, Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-6100 hex-core @3.8ghz, 8 gig ram (never use more than 5 gigs), Delta 44, UM-2
[Note: join date reflects inability to migrate old account to new forum]

https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/stand

gmp
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 980
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/11 03:28:11 (permalink)
I was elated when Bandlab rescued Cakewalk and I quickly installed the first version and only had a few tweaks to get it set up exactly like Splat. You can open both programs at the same time and compare settings and such. For me CbB works exactly like Splat. The only difference is at the very top of the window it has a orange icon instead of black. Below that everything else is identical.

I was very pleasantly surprised that for me, CbB was far more stable than Splat, very few crashes and none of he crashes that required a reboot. You can work in CbB and if you like resume working on the file in Splat. CbB is actually Splat 2017.11, which was the last version of Splat that was never released. The last one we got was 2017.10. I can't understand why anyone would hesitate to try CbB, it doesn't affect your Splat install at all.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
GregGraves
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 274
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/11 13:35:20 (permalink)
Other than it installs an auto-start "Assistant" on boot, which you can't right-click to "exit".  I don't allow anything running on my DAW other than what I need.  So had to msconfig that bother away.

As far as SPLAT stability, I just completed in-total a 105 hour session with NO crashes other than the 2 times I pulled in a project-incompatible plugin.  Of course, I'm running Win7-64 and never update......

All that said aside, I do hope that Bandlab is successful at resurrecting this DAW.

I am "Five Foot Wall" on Spotify, Deezer, etc.  Platinum, Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-6100 hex-core @3.8ghz, 8 gig ram (never use more than 5 gigs), Delta 44, UM-2
[Note: join date reflects inability to migrate old account to new forum]

https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/stand

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6349
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/12 13:20:37 (permalink)
gmp
CbB is actually Splat 2017.11, which was the last version of Splat that was never released. The last one we got was 2017.10. I can't understand why anyone would hesitate to try CbB, it doesn't affect your Splat install at all.

Its actually Platium 2017.11 plus 3 months worth of new features, several bug fixes and enhancements. The latest version is 2018.06. You can read about the new features here.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
gmp
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/13 06:27:56 (permalink)
GregGraves
Other than it installs an auto-start "Assistant" on boot, which you can't right-click to "exit".  I don't allow anything running on my DAW other than what I need.  So had to msconfig that bother away.

As far as SPLAT stability, I just completed in-total a 105 hour session with NO crashes other than the 2 times I pulled in a project-incompatible plugin.  Of course, I'm running Win7-64 and never update......

All that said aside, I do hope that Bandlab is successful at resurrecting this DAW.

Greg, I can relate to your staying with Win 7 and never updating. No doubt there are likely no more surprises with unusual crashes or behavior you've haven't seen before. It's nice to have a predictable system.

I don't take it quite as far as you, but I do similar things in my approach. I have Win updates disabled and only update right before trying a new Splat or as the case now -  CbB. I then disable Win updates again. 

I did upgrade to Win 10 when it was free after I found out that I could have a dual boot system of Win 10 and Win 7 or 8 in case I didn't like Win 10 or found it was problematic. But I must say Win 10 has been the easiest OS upgrade I've ever done all the way back to the DOS days.

I also make Acronis image files of my C drive whenever I make changes. This has saved my butt many times and made troubleshooting unnecessary. I like staying with a version for about 2-4 months, so I get a chance to see all the bugs. If I run into too many bugs, I just revert back to an earlier image.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
Steev
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/13 19:24:23 (permalink)
Rick Viola
One this that bothers me is, with Sonar downloads from the Command Center, any install file is saved locally in Downloads/Cakewalk. I have archived everything I ever downloaded for Cakewalk. With the Bandlab Assistant, I don't see the install file for Cakewalk saved locally. It probably deletes the temporary file after install.

Bandlab Assistant placed the Cakewalk.exe Installation files in my Documents/Downloads folder. Where they belong, like with all the other normally downloaded application installations . I sure wish CCC did that with Sonar.

Steev 

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, Vegas Pro 11
ASRock 970 mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB VelociRaptor SATA3 bootdrive. 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

gmp
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/13 23:24:19 (permalink)
Steev
Rick Viola
One this that bothers me is, with Sonar downloads from the Command Center, any install file is saved locally in Downloads/Cakewalk. I have archived everything I ever downloaded for Cakewalk. With the Bandlab Assistant, I don't see the install file for Cakewalk saved locally. It probably deletes the temporary file after install.

Bandlab Assistant placed the Cakewalk.exe Installation files in my Documents/Downloads folder. Where they belong, like with all the other normally downloaded application installations . I sure wish CCC did that with Sonar.

By default CCC doesn't do that, but I changed the preferences to tell it to download to my custom folder of my choosing. With CbB it's best to save each update in it's own folder since they all have the same name - cakewalk.exe. If you leave it in the downloads folder the next update will overwrite that file

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1