AnsweredShould I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
GregGraves
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 282
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/11 00:02:53 (permalink)
I don't understand the "free" bit.  That was why I freaked over the lifetime SPLAT, and never bit.  How well does "free" work in the Bandlab business model?

I have a HUGE !!! commitment to SPLAT, in the form of being a good engineer.  I doubt I have the remaining brain cells to learn much of anything new.  That said, I am installing CbB ... don't know why, but .....

I am "Five Foot Wall" on Spotify, Deezer, etc.  Platinum, Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-6100 hex-core @3.8ghz, 8 gig ram (never use more than 5 gigs), Delta 44, UM-2
[Note: join date reflects inability to migrate old account to new forum]

https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/whatcha-gonna-do
https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/true-believer-man

gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/11 03:28:11 (permalink)
I was elated when Bandlab rescued Cakewalk and I quickly installed the first version and only had a few tweaks to get it set up exactly like Splat. You can open both programs at the same time and compare settings and such. For me CbB works exactly like Splat. The only difference is at the very top of the window it has a orange icon instead of black. Below that everything else is identical.

I was very pleasantly surprised that for me, CbB was far more stable than Splat, very few crashes and none of he crashes that required a reboot. You can work in CbB and if you like resume working on the file in Splat. CbB is actually Splat 2017.11, which was the last version of Splat that was never released. The last one we got was 2017.10. I can't understand why anyone would hesitate to try CbB, it doesn't affect your Splat install at all.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
GregGraves
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 282
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/11 13:35:20 (permalink)
Other than it installs an auto-start "Assistant" on boot, which you can't right-click to "exit".  I don't allow anything running on my DAW other than what I need.  So had to msconfig that bother away.

As far as SPLAT stability, I just completed in-total a 105 hour session with NO crashes other than the 2 times I pulled in a project-incompatible plugin.  Of course, I'm running Win7-64 and never update......

All that said aside, I do hope that Bandlab is successful at resurrecting this DAW.

I am "Five Foot Wall" on Spotify, Deezer, etc.  Platinum, Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-6100 hex-core @3.8ghz, 8 gig ram (never use more than 5 gigs), Delta 44, UM-2
[Note: join date reflects inability to migrate old account to new forum]

https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/whatcha-gonna-do
https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/true-believer-man

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/12 13:20:37 (permalink)
gmp
CbB is actually Splat 2017.11, which was the last version of Splat that was never released. The last one we got was 2017.10. I can't understand why anyone would hesitate to try CbB, it doesn't affect your Splat install at all.

Its actually Platium 2017.11 plus 3 months worth of new features, several bug fixes and enhancements. The latest version is 2018.06. You can read about the new features here.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
gmp
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/13 06:27:56 (permalink)
GregGraves
Other than it installs an auto-start "Assistant" on boot, which you can't right-click to "exit".  I don't allow anything running on my DAW other than what I need.  So had to msconfig that bother away.

As far as SPLAT stability, I just completed in-total a 105 hour session with NO crashes other than the 2 times I pulled in a project-incompatible plugin.  Of course, I'm running Win7-64 and never update......

All that said aside, I do hope that Bandlab is successful at resurrecting this DAW.

Greg, I can relate to your staying with Win 7 and never updating. No doubt there are likely no more surprises with unusual crashes or behavior you've haven't seen before. It's nice to have a predictable system.

I don't take it quite as far as you, but I do similar things in my approach. I have Win updates disabled and only update right before trying a new Splat or as the case now -  CbB. I then disable Win updates again. 

I did upgrade to Win 10 when it was free after I found out that I could have a dual boot system of Win 10 and Win 7 or 8 in case I didn't like Win 10 or found it was problematic. But I must say Win 10 has been the easiest OS upgrade I've ever done all the way back to the DOS days.

I also make Acronis image files of my C drive whenever I make changes. This has saved my butt many times and made troubleshooting unnecessary. I like staying with a version for about 2-4 months, so I get a chance to see all the bugs. If I run into too many bugs, I just revert back to an earlier image.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/13 19:24:23 (permalink)
Rick Viola
One this that bothers me is, with Sonar downloads from the Command Center, any install file is saved locally in Downloads/Cakewalk. I have archived everything I ever downloaded for Cakewalk. With the Bandlab Assistant, I don't see the install file for Cakewalk saved locally. It probably deletes the temporary file after install.

Bandlab Assistant placed the Cakewalk.exe Installation files in my Documents/Downloads folder. Where they belong, like with all the other normally downloaded application installations . I sure wish CCC did that with Sonar.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

gmp
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/07/13 23:24:19 (permalink)
Steev
Rick Viola
One this that bothers me is, with Sonar downloads from the Command Center, any install file is saved locally in Downloads/Cakewalk. I have archived everything I ever downloaded for Cakewalk. With the Bandlab Assistant, I don't see the install file for Cakewalk saved locally. It probably deletes the temporary file after install.

Bandlab Assistant placed the Cakewalk.exe Installation files in my Documents/Downloads folder. Where they belong, like with all the other normally downloaded application installations . I sure wish CCC did that with Sonar.

By default CCC doesn't do that, but I changed the preferences to tell it to download to my custom folder of my choosing. With CbB it's best to save each update in it's own folder since they all have the same name - cakewalk.exe. If you leave it in the downloads folder the next update will overwrite that file

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Rick Viola
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/03 22:43:15 (permalink)
The only file I have in "c:/user/yourname/appdata/roaming/bandlab-assistant/downloads" is asistant.exe and is 48MB. I don't like not having the download not stored locally.

Home built, Asus Z97-E mb, Intel i7-4790K cpu, 4GHz, Windows 10 Home 64, Asus GTX-750, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, 16GB ram, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, AKG Perception 220, Alesis RA-100 and Monitor One's, 
Sonar Professional.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/04 01:26:37 (permalink)
Something to keep in mind. We are very lucky that Bandlad came along and bought the code. However, we are blessed that Noel is still on board. What we get is consistency and the person that understands better than anyone else the code behind Sonar. One should view this from a users view as a true win win! 

We came from dead in the water to full speed ahead. This doesn't happen often. 

Best
John
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/04 03:31:42 (permalink)
Noel is doing an amazing job. Period.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Pragi
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/04 17:59:09 (permalink)
Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum ?

Can understand your question cause it didn´t feel right for me 
to start working with CbB til last wednesday.
On wednesday I started my first project with CbB
without thinking about it and it worked flawless.
Note : I´m often a laggard .
post edited by Pragi - 2018/08/04 20:01:44
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/04 18:26:32 (permalink)
The answer and summary, for those that come along late and see the subject:
- Yes. Install Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB)
- Don't uninstall SONAR Platinum if you want the extra goodies it came with (at least for now). Other versions of SONAR might not have any of the goodies and it is probably fine to uninstall it first (certainly at least for SONAR Artist). You do get TTS-1 and Studio Instruments with CbB.

As for the Free Bit - you can pay for it, if you want, by Tipping the Bakers. I think when you install CbB the first time one of the pop-ups includes a link to the Tip Jar.  It isn't free software in the sense of Open Source or Volunteer Managed - it is a fully funded commercial project. The money just doesn't come from sales of the software. The software is Free in that sense; you are not obligated to pay for it. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
gmp
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/05 04:03:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby stickman393 2018/08/05 14:45:38
Rick Viola
The only file I have in "c:/user/yourname/appdata/roaming/bandlab-assistant/downloads" is asistant.exe and is 48MB. I don't like not having the download not stored locally.

I agree and have found a workaround below. The reason you only found that one file in the downloads folder is the install file named cakewalk.exe was deleted after it installed.

Here's what's going on:
When you install CbB versions, you can find the cakewalk.exe in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads\cakewalk.exe

The trick is after it's downloaded, a window pops up asking to install CbB. First copy the cakewalk.exe to a new folder marked 2018 07 and then choose yes to install CbB. After it installs it will delete the cakewalk.exe file in your download folder.

This way you can easily roll back to a previous version. In addition to this I also save an image file of my C drive, so I can roll back that way also. 

hopefully in the future Bandlab will make it easier to have access to previous versions.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/05 06:16:03 (permalink)
And when you make that copy just append the version number to it eg. Cakewalk Core Setup 24.7.07.exe.

That way you’ll be able to keep all the installers in one folder.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/05 14:36:56 (permalink)
mudgel
And when you make that copy just append the version number to it eg. Cakewalk Core Setup 24.7.07.exe.

This is what I do. I also keep a copies of previous releases installed and available for use by copying the current  "Cakewalk Core" in program files to a versioned folder. For example, before installing 2018.07 I copied the current "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" to "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core-18-06."
gmp
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/05 16:59:53 (permalink)
scook
mudgel

This is what I do. I also keep a copies of previous releases installed and available for use by copying the current  "Cakewalk Core" in program files to a versioned folder. For example, before installing 2018.07 I copied the current "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" to "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core-18-06."

That's interesting. Have you tested it to see if you can successfully roll back to a earlier version simply by renaming that folder? I guess I'm always concerned there are other files in other folders that would make this not work well.

If this works I can really see how this would really be beneficial to you when someone posts something about a previous version.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/05 17:36:53 (permalink)
gmp
That's interesting. Have you tested it to see if you can successfully roll back to a earlier version simply by renaming that folder?

This is not how I use hot backups but it would work. Rather than rename a hot backup to the production folder I just launch the DAW from the backup folder. Actually I use I tool I wrote some time ago to pick a version and project to load. The program is called Cakewalk LaunchPad available from the Resource and Utilities page but this is not needed to make the scheme work. The DAW may be run directly from the hot backuo folder (n.b. I keep all the hot backup folders under the same parent folder as production "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk"). Of couse, clicking on a project opens the project with the current Windows association.

Because all version use the same shared utilities any problem with the utilities forces a reinstall/restore with a working version. The "Shared Utilities" folder may be copied/versioned too. In practice, the current "Shared Utilities" are rarely an issue.
gmp
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/05 18:39:02 (permalink)
scook
gmp
That's interesting. Have you tested it to see if you can successfully roll back to a earlier version simply by renaming that folder?

This is not how I use hot backups but it would work. Rather than rename a hot backup to the production folder I just launch the DAW from the backup folder. Actually I use I tool I wrote some time ago to pick a version and project to load. The program is called Cakewalk LaunchPad available from the Resource and Utilities page but this is not needed to make the scheme work. The DAW may be run directly from the hot backuo folder (n.b. I keep all the hot backup folders under the same parent folder as production "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk"). Of couse, clicking on a project opens the project with the current Windows association.

Because all version use the same shared utilities any problem with the utilities forces a reinstall/restore with a working version. The "Shared Utilities" folder may be copied/versioned too. In practice, the current "Shared Utilities" are rarely an issue.

This is very useful info, especially for someone like me, who's running a recording studio. If I install a new version and then have a client come in and find something is not working right, due to a bug or incompatibility, then I can really quickly launch the previous version that I've lived with a while and know what bugs to expect.

I just updated to 2018.07 and now I just copied the folder for 2018.04 to coexist side by side in case I need it. I don't need to take time to revert to a saved Acronis image file. This is super handy. I don't need to be worried about being caught flatfooted with the unpredictability of a new version. 

I also have many versions of Sonar - X1, X3, 8.5 and 32 bit Splat. This covers a lot of bases for old files and problems that can come up.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Rick Viola
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Should I start using Cakewalk by Bandland or stay with Sonar Platinum 2018/08/23 22:51:33 (permalink)
OK, figured out how to save the exe file when updating (I assume it is the whole app)
When updating from assistant, let it download. (About 551MB).
Before clicking install, copy the cakewalk.exe at C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads
and paste it somewhere else. 
Otherwise after install it deletes the exe file.
Success on 8/23/18.

Home built, Asus Z97-E mb, Intel i7-4790K cpu, 4GHz, Windows 10 Home 64, Asus GTX-750, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, 16GB ram, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, AKG Perception 220, Alesis RA-100 and Monitor One's, 
Sonar Professional.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1